Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Rockit posted:

"Innocent before proven guilty" applies only to the accuser silly.
What's only silly is thinking apologia is still apologia when no solid evidence has occurred.

That's it. People can't deal with only a explicit single's vic and friends say-so and rather than just leaving it be they move to discredit her. Because otherwise they do have to feel like they have to accept it.

where theres smoke, there's fire rockit. women were accusing weinstein forever and a half too and they kept getting buried under "no solid evidence".

we are under no obligation to give the benefit of the doubt to biden. when a man with his demonstrable record, who's bragged about getting arrested entering a women's dorm, is accused of raping someone, he should be dropped. especially when there's already claims from other women that he sexually harassed them. the office of president confers too much power to potentially give to another rapist, so he should be treated as one in this case and dropped from the dem ticket.

sadly, he's gonna push through instead and dems that should know better are suddenly gonna start parroting republican talking points like "she changed her story! proof positive she's lying about being raped!!" and this whole thing is going to hang like a cloud over this contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Biden won't win Texas. He'll probably come closer than Clinton or Obama, for myriad reasons, but he won't win. And even if he did somehow achieve the miracle victory there, how much it matters is dependent on how greatly that victory extends to the downballot. Realistically a win in a place like Texas potentially means a lot of split tickets, with R's doing fine downballot despite the state going blue. And of course Biden is encouraging that, actively telling Republicans to vote for him but stay Republican, and talking up the idea of inviting Republicans into his administration.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Biden won't win Texas. He'll probably come closer than Clinton or Obama, for myriad reasons, but he won't win. And even if he did somehow achieve the miracle victory there, how much it matters is dependent on how greatly that victory extends to the downballot. Realistically a win in a place like Texas potentially means a lot of split tickets, with R's doing fine downballot despite the state going blue. And of course Biden is encouraging that, actively telling Republicans to vote for him but stay Republican, and talking up the idea of inviting Republicans into his administration.

and also saying that the republicans he knows are good people, and trump is an abberation and after he's gone the republicans will be ok to work with again

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think this has anything to do with what I was discussing. I clearly didn't say any of this?

PoC voters made Clinton the dem candidate, followed up with the additional victories making him president and making Obama the candidate/president. I would have thought that was obvious. PoC have been turning out for democratic candidates for decades.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Condiv posted:

where theres smoke, there's fire rockit. women were accusing weinstein forever and a half too and they kept getting buried under "no solid evidence".

we are under no obligation to give the benefit of the doubt to biden. when a man with his demonstrable record, who's bragged about getting arrested entering a women's dorm, is accused of raping someone, he should be dropped. especially when there's already claims from other women that he sexually harassed them. the office of president confers too much power to potentially give to another rapist, so he should be treated as one in this case and dropped from the dem ticket.

sadly, he's gonna push through instead and dems that should know better are suddenly gonna start parroting republican talking points like "she changed her story! proof positive she's lying about being raped!!" and this whole thing is going to hang like a cloud over this contest

To be clear that post was mocking other people's apologia. Regardless of this particular case you make fair points.
I missed that women's dorm deal tho may you link it?

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

It was literally suggested that Biden winning texas would be a massive set back for the left a few pages ago and no one dismissed winning TX as a fantasy then, I think the idea that Biden winning texas could further empower poc isn't far fetched, and has more logic to it. It isn't a fantasy either that Biden might win texas or win in a blowout, it's what polling suggest is a legitimate possibility of happening. It may not be a high probability, maybe 30%? Which is also coincidentally, the odds 538 had for Trump winning in 2016.

There is no reason to operate like it's such an utter impossibility that it shain't be discussed, especially when its negative implications were brought up and discussed using the exact same premise a few pages ago, that's a little hypocritical.

Yes, I remember, I am the one who thinks that it would be bad for Biden to win a blowout and give energy to the worst people in American liberalism. Because I guaran-loving-tee that if Biden wins Texas it’s not going to be about the Latinos who came out to vote for him, it’ll be about those white suburbanites that the Emmanuels and Mooks of the world seek to bring into the Big Tent.

You don’t appear to have actually understood my post, in any case. What I find fantastical is the idea that even this kind of blowout would result in a greater say for PoC in governance under Democratic rule. We saw a blowout in 2008 that resulted in a man named Barack winning Indiana. PoC did not get a greater say in government, just more empty liberal “representation” without, you know, actual representation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

joepinetree posted:

I think that Biden lying about wanting to cut social security is relevant in terms of understanding whether he would want to cut social security.

Okay, but is Biden lying about wanting to cut social security relevant in terms of evaluating his credibility in other matters?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

enraged_camel posted:

Okay, but is Biden lying about wanting to cut social security relevant in terms of evaluating his credibility in other matters?

Here let me help you out: lying about policy directly applies to the job titled "US President." Lying about having a BA does not directly apply to the claim of "I was raped."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Rockit posted:

To be clear that post was mocking other people's apologia. Regardless of this particular case you make fair points.
I missed that women's dorm deal tho may you link it?

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/05/22/fact-check-joe-biden-arrested-ohio-u-womens-dorm/5244339002/

quote:

"I wandered in, I met this lovely group of Ohio University … students," Biden said to laughs from the crowd. "And, uh, without knowing it, I shouldn't admit this on national television because it'll reveal that I'm over 60, but I thought that we were gonna go get something to eat … so I just said to young, two young women I had met, said … 'Well, I'll come with you,' and they said OK, and I walked into their dormitory and was immediately accosted by a cop who arrested me because back in those days, men were not allowed in women's dormitories.

"But I promise you I never breached the first floor, and it was only a temporary detention. But that's what I most remember about Athens.”

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

enraged_camel posted:

Yes. Despite what you believe, this is not some great gotcha question.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That's not stalking.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

One of the strangest comments Biden has made is the idea that it's inherently bad for there to be too many members of a political party in Congress, including the Democratic Party. This actually makes a little sense if it were specific to how too much control of the presidency, House, and Senate simultaneously allows a political party to subvert democracy. It's a symptom of the Constitution being absolutely broken that the American people literally can't get their agenda enacted these days without the side-effect of the president potentially being made completely unaccountable. I think the Constitution should be amended to give the opposition party in Congress subpoena power even when they're the minority in both chambers, or something like that. The only way I could have interpreted it was that he was using "Republicans" -> "a political party" -> therefore Democrats equally desire subverting democracy to gain power false equivalencies.

Buzzfeed posted:

Biden still promised he'd be able to "work things out" with Graham if they both wound up together again in Washington, DC, after the election. "Nothing's gonna snap back; we're in a totally different world," Biden added. But he said he believed there will be "serious consequences" for the Republican Party as Americans reckon with Trump.

"It’s not like there’s going to be some great epiphany and people are going to wake up and go, 'Oh my god, I'm now a Democrat.' And if you hear people on the rope line saying, ‘I'm a Republican,’ I say, ‘Stay a Republican.’ Vote for me but stay a Republican, because we need a Republican Party."

He later added that he's concerned about what would happen if the Republican Party were totally "clobbered."

"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...k&ICID=ref_fark

I'm not really sure he was even referring to lofty checks and balances, though, and it's also likely from the quoted passage he just thinks it's bad for a political party to be able to pass too much of its agenda.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I think that lying about social security is relevant to his policies regarding social security. I think that lying about being arrested seeing Mandela and lying about civil rights protests is relevant to his views on civil rights. I think that lying about his support of the Iraq war is relevant in considering what his foreign policy will be. I think that lying about the driver who killed his wife is relevant in considering whether he is willing to use his family for personal gain. I think that lying about his credential is relevant in evaluating his claims of achievements during his careers. Had he claimed to be a rape victim, none of the above would matter.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Pick posted:

That's not stalking.

What word would you use to describe "followed women to where they live and was arrested for doing so"?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Here let me help you out: lying about policy directly applies to the job titled "US President." Lying about having a BA does not directly apply to the claim of "I was raped."

I noticed you are using the word "directly". Can you elaborate?

What does it mean for lying about something being "directly" applicable, vs. indirectly?

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

I don't think mass split ticket voting necessarily follows. Beto's campaign swung a ton of downballot poo poo, especially judges. Biden flipping Texas would be amazing for material change at local level.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Eminai posted:

What word would you use to describe "followed women to where they live and was arrested for doing so"?

Asking women who you're talking to if you can follow them thinking you're going to get a burger and having them say yes and then doing so with their explicit go-ahead? Uh, normal social interaction?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

joepinetree posted:

I think that lying about social security is relevant to his policies regarding social security. I think that lying about being arrested seeing Mandela and lying about civil rights protests is relevant to his views on civil rights. I think that lying about his support of the Iraq war is relevant in considering what his foreign policy will be. I think that lying about the driver who killed his wife is relevant in considering whether he is willing to use his family for personal gain. I think that lying about his credential is relevant in evaluating his claims of achievements during his careers. Had he claimed to be a rape victim, none of the above would matter.

Perfect, thanks. So that means neither Biden or Reade has any credibility issues in this specific context, of raping or being raped (since their past lying has occurred in other, irrelevant contexts).

So then the question that still needs answering is: why should we err on the side of believing Reade?

Just about the only reason I can think of is "believe all women", and it is worth noting that "believe all women" does not mean that anyone accused of raping someone immediately goes to jail for 20 years or whatever. It simply means accusers should be taken seriously and their accusations investigated, rather than dismissed immediately. And the media has done quite extensive investigating over the past three months. The problem is that what they found (or rather, have not found) has made the NoJoe crowd extremely angry, and now anyone who dares to doubt Reade is labeled a rape apologist, because you see, Biden is absolutely a rapist, and the real problem is that our standards of evidence for proving guilt are simply too high, and we should just lower them when it comes to rape on the basis that coming forward as a rape victim is really hard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Pick posted:

Asking women who you're talking to if you can follow them thinking you're going to get a burger and having them say yes and then doing so with their explicit go-ahead? Uh, normal social interaction?

Normal social interaction for me doesn't result in the guy I'm with getting arrested for following me home.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
most of my normal interactions end with me being tackled by a cop, yea. Whomst among us

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I noticed you are using the word "directly". Can you elaborate?

What does it mean for lying about something being "directly" applicable, vs. indirectly?

A direct applicable lie is associated with the matter at hand. If I lie about A, I am more likely to be lying about things related to A.

For example, if I have a history of lying in the pursuit of power its more likely that I am lying when I am in the pursuit of power, because I am known to lie in pursuit of power.

An indirect lie is not associated with the matter at hand. If I lie about A that does not necessarily mean I am more likely to lie about unrelated matter B.

For example, if I lie about my bachelor's degree to get a job that doesn't have anything to do with lying about being a rape victim (unless it helps me get a job), except as a general strike against my character.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Me, being dragged away by a cop from the group I'm with: another normal day in the books!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Eminai posted:

Normal social interaction for me doesn't result in the guy I'm with getting arrested for following me home.

Lmao he just accidentally entered a building it turns out he wasn't allowed in. It has nothing to do with "stalking women". They apparently thought he was allowed too, they invited him along under no duress.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pick posted:

it seems to me that he was the only one that thought they were going to get a burger, if that's what he thought at all. dunno why he thought the burger would be in their dorms or why he entered a womens dorm upon arriving at a womens dorm and not at a burger joint. maybe their dorm looked like a mcdonalds?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One time I got confused and walked through the employee door of a Carino's, stalking some tortellini

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
they were living at the time in Shake Shack Hall, to be fair.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pick posted:

One time I got confused and walked through the employee door of a Carino's, stalking some tortellini

was the employee door as visually distinct from the door you were looking for as a women's dorm is from a burger joint pick?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Pick posted:

Lmao he just accidentally entered a building it turns out he wasn't allowed in. It has nothing to do with "stalking women". They apparently thought he was allowed too, they invited him along under no duress.

yeah just "accidentally" entered a woman's home he wasn't allowed in, nbd

as far as what they thought, do you have a source that isn't the person arrested for stalking following them into their home who is also a habitual liar?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

enraged_camel posted:

Joe Biden haters always bring up his record to make the case that he isn't credible and cannot be trusted with what he says today.

I don't see why it isn't fair to hold everyone else, including Tara Reade, to the same standard. If she has a history of lying, especially in extremely important contexts such as claiming to have a degree so that she can be an expert witness (which is perjury, btw, and carries a possible jail sentence), then it should be acceptable to question her credibility in other matters.

You're drawing a false equivalence.

When people call out Joe Biden for lying, there is a direct correlation to the lie.
Example:
Joe Biden in a speech today: "I am in support of X."

30+ years of Joe Biden's legislative voting record as well as speeches from previous years: "gently caress X. I do not support X. I have never supported X. I will never support X. I am proud to be on the vanguard of telling X to go gently caress itself."

Tara Reade on the other hand:
Her: "I was raped."

Biden Stans: "She once bounced a check to her landlord. Clearly a lying whore who can never be believed about anything ever."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Perfect, thanks. So that means neither Biden or Reade has any credibility issues in this specific context, of raping or being raped (since their past lying has occurred in other, irrelevant contexts).

So then the question that still needs answering is: why should we err on the side of believing Reade?

Just about the only reason I can think of is "believe all women", and it is worth noting that "believe all women" does not mean that anyone accused of raping someone immediately goes to jail for 20 years or whatever. It simply means accusers should be taken seriously and their accusations investigated, rather than dismissed immediately. And the media has done quite extensive investigating over the past three months. The problem is that what they found (or rather, have not found) has made the NoJoe crowd extremely angry, and now anyone who dares to doubt Reade is labeled a rape apologist, because you see, Biden is absolutely a rapist, and the real problem is that our standards of evidence for proving guilt are simply too high, and we should just lower them when it comes to rape on the basis that coming forward as a rape victim is really hard.

As I've said repeatedly, whether you believe Reade or not is beside the point. The issue isn't whether we'll ever know the truth. The issue is the full embrace of scorched earth against alleged victims. Once upon a time it was accepted within liberal circles that a victim's sex life was irrelevant. Now, even whether they were late on rent is apparently fair game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
at least in the college I went to every dorm had like three bespoke layers of signage, what with needing to be easy for drunk students at 2 am to find and all, so I am curious at which layer of 'this is clearly a residential building' he was at when he stopped thinking 'oh boy, burger time'.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think it inherently follows that he's bragging here rather than just telling about a funny goof he did.
It's not like sex pests can't do things by accident.

enraged_camel posted:

I've explicitly said i think Biden is innocent and haven't been called as such by people.

Granted the fact i called out others arguments probably helped but reveals the issues is not "everyone is given this label""

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Condiv posted:

was the employee door as visually distinct from the door you were looking for as a women's dorm is from a burger joint pick?

I used a hamburger as a humorous example of food, he did not specify hamburger. Why everyone is now obsessed with the concept of a hamburger is quite mysterious.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Pick posted:

That’s not how sororities work Pick. If you step across the threshold there isn’t some kind of man alarm that rings, summoning the police. If someone calls the cops on a white boy who isn’t doing anything and made a mistake, he doesn’t get arrested.

E: my mistake, it was a women’s dorm. My point stands.

rko fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 16, 2020

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pick posted:

I used a hamburger as a humorous example of food, he did not specify hamburger. Why everyone is now obsessed with the concept of a hamburger is quite mysterious.

ok, did the carino's employee door look as visually distinct from the door you were looking for as a women's door is from a restaurant? cause I've been to dorms (including old ones), and I've been to restaurants, and restaurants typically try not to look like dorms. kinda kills business if people think your restaurant is a women's dorm and not some place to eat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rko posted:

That’s not how sororities work Pick. If you step across the threshold there isn’t some kind of man alarm that rings, summoning the police. If someone calls the cops on a white boy who isn’t doing anything and made a mistake, he doesn’t get arrested.

also this, Joe Biden is old as gently caress but he's not from the 1800's, there's not some magic alarm that goes off when a dude walks on and the swarm of Sorority Cops waiting in the guard towers fall upon him and drag him to state prison. You don't get 'arrested' for breaking dorm rules, you get told 'hey, get the gently caress out' and at worst a stern talking to from some house authority about respecting bounds.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Condiv posted:

ok, did the carino's employee door look as visually distinct from the door you were looking for as a women's door is from a restaurant? cause I've been to dorms (including old ones), and I've been to restaurants, and restaurants typically try not to look like dorms. kinda kills business if people think your restaurant is a women's dorm and not some place to eat.

Yeah lol because I wasn't paying attention

But he never said he thought they were going to a restaurant, just said they were going to like grab a bite or something. People have food in their dorm. Or might stop by the dorm to pick up their wallet or whatever and then go get food. Literally nothing in that entire scenario as described fits any definition of stalking, anywhere. The most important criterion being the explicit consent of the women he accompanied, unless you think the word men belonged to the security guard and he owned them so they couldn't like give consent.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Pick posted:

Yeah lol because I wasn't paying attention

But he never said he thought they were going to a restaurant, just said they were going to like grab a bite or something. People have food in their dorm. Or might stop by the dorm to pick up their wallet or whatever and then go get food. Literally nothing in that entire scenario as described fits any definition of stalking, anywhere.

Because Biden is telling the story, Pick! Holy poo poo!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

rko posted:

Because Biden is telling the story, Pick! Holy poo poo!

Yes, I'm quite aware that people here would tell the story differently despite not having been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Rockit posted:

I don't think it inherently follows that he's bragging here rather than just telling about a funny goof he did.
It's not like sex pests can't do things by accident.

i mean, there's steps between "arrive at women's dorm" and "enter women's dorm". it's not like he was blindfolded and couldn't tell where he was going, that it wasn't a place you eat at, or that it was a dorm. maybe i'm just being too charitable to biden, but in his statement, he didn't go further than the entrance cause he was arrested. not cause he realized his mistake and left