Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't get it either but my GF who got me into Dragon Age also loves him.

She loves blonds, though. Alistair > Anders > Cullen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

He's got a cute voice. Pretty ugly character model, but then again everyone has an ugly character model in DAO. But yeah, becoming a frothing at the mouth genocide enthusiast really destroyed any interest I had in the character. I am truly baffled by his fans. People be thirsty, I guess...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sankara posted:

He's got a cute voice. Pretty ugly character model, but then again everyone has an ugly character model in DAO. But yeah, becoming a frothing at the mouth genocide enthusiast really destroyed any interest I had in the character. I am truly baffled by his fans. People be thirsty, I guess...

He was the cute puppy who got kicked and broken and girls wanted to nurse him back to health with their love.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

He was the cute puppy who got kicked and broken and girls wanted to nurse him back to health with their love.

"pweese genocide me daddy uwu"

literally everything in the text about Cullen is some hardcore fascist kill all mages. In DA:O his end card is that he went nuts with power and started terrorizing the mages and had to be removed from power. In DA:2 he's all like my morals are conflicted then actual starts discussing mage final solution like "sure its bad, but maybe it's not that bad? just asking questions"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mean, at the end of DAO, he's literally suffering horrid PTSD. I don't hold that against him.

Plus I think that epilogue for him was retconned away.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, it got retconned, he still goes along with Meredith's geological bullshit in DA2 until near the end of the game despite having "concerns" about her methods. He is pretty contrite about his complicity in DA:I, if my memory serves, so I guess Cullen is a land of contrasts!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I installed some mod that gave characters their DA2 appearances in DA:O thinking it would help with continuity. Unintended side effect is that Merrill looks like she has a congenital birth defect since the other elves are unaltered.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's kinda mad how some characters become huge huge things even when they're unbelievably minor. I genuinely didn't remember Cullen at all and only know he's in the previous games because other people have said it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

So I installed some mod that gave characters their DA2 appearances in DA:O thinking it would help with continuity. Unintended side effect is that Merrill looks like she has a congenital birth defect since the other elves are unaltered.

Isabela looks (and sounds) way better in DA2 though so it is a win.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Basically Cullen had no business showing up in DA2. But once Inquisition came around, he was the only (former) templar who was in both previous games, and since the mage-templar conflict was one of the things DA:I focused on, it made sense to bring him back. His only saving grace was that he at least stood up to Meredith at the end.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Taear posted:

It's kinda mad how some characters become huge huge things even when they're unbelievably minor. I genuinely didn't remember Cullen at all and only know he's in the previous games because other people have said it.

If you didn't play the Mage Origin he's only in the game for, like, a minute or two. Even if you do play the Mage Origin that only bumps it up to three or four minutes. I think you have a grand total of four short conversations with him.

But, the ladies in the fandom put him on their shoulders and carried him all the way to main-plot romance option. For all the justifiable poo poo Bioware gets throughout its history, they were always ahead of the triple-A curve when it came to appealing to folks who weren't straight gamer dudes.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Also Cullen had a crush on female mage Grey Warden. With certain world states, you can have 2 of 4 people in the War Table room have some sort of relationships with DAO hero. And Josephine is the only one who is safe from Grey Warden charms.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You only see Merrill, briefly, in DAO if you do the Danish Elf origin and she ended up in DA2 as a fully fledged companion.
Did the devs ever say why they picked her to come back rather than anyone else from the other origins?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skippy McPants posted:

If you didn't play the Mage Origin he's only in the game for, like, a minute or two. Even if you do play the Mage Origin that only bumps it up to three or four minutes. I think you have a grand total of four short conversations with him.

But, the ladies in the fandom put him on their shoulders and carried him all the way to main-plot romance option. For all the justifiable poo poo Bioware gets throughout its history, they were always ahead of the triple-A curve when it came to appealing to folks who weren't straight gamer dudes.

In a way, pandering to Cullen fans doesn't even really detract from Inquisition. The (many) flaws of Inquisition are mainly gameplay flaws, like the MMO-like quests, or main story flaws, like the abrupt ending of the mage-templar conflict. The companions and advisors overall are pretty well liked by most people who played Inquisition. And if Cullen doesn't appeal to you, you probably like some of the other characters, like Varric for instance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Torrannor posted:

Basically Cullen had no business showing up in DA2. But once Inquisition came around, he was the only (former) templar who was in both previous games, and since the mage-templar conflict was one of the things DA:I focused on, it made sense to bring him back. His only saving grace was that he at least stood up to Meredith at the end.

Alistair is potentially in both previous games as well, the only scenario he doesn't show up in DA2 is if you kill him in Origins.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

ApplesandOranges posted:

Alistair is potentially in both previous games as well, the only scenario he doesn't show up in DA2 is if you kill him in Origins.

Yeah but Alistair is a party-member you might romance and/or talk into loving Morrigan and/or make the new king.
He's not a bit part. And many people liked his whole "swallowed a Whedon script" shtick - myself included. But of course, that was before Bioware made *everyone* swallow increasingly more talentless Whedon scripts.

Isabella, OTOH, had possibly the bittest of bit parts (IIRC message board side-quest NPC you see all of once when you hand over the quest ? You might also get casual sex if you like but I don't remember exactly) but somehow it was Important that she make a comeback.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 16, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Helith posted:

You only see Merrill, briefly, in DAO if you do the Danish Elf origin and she ended up in DA2 as a fully fledged companion.
Did the devs ever say why they picked her to come back rather than anyone else from the other origins?

I imagine they chose her and Cullen because they tied into DA2's themes rather nicely. Granted it would have been cool to see the protagonist's dwarven family, if a little random.

I assumed Isabella was always planned to be in a sequel since DA:O tries to make a big deal out of how cool a character she is for 5 minutes and then forgets her entirely.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

"Hey Varric how's it going. Whoops looks like we just lost our caste because we came to the surface to see you. Thats a real problem since I'm the king. Well no point exploring this further later!"

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I thought Alistair was really cute in a young dumb awkward way which is why i would romance him and have anora execute him at landsmeet. It sort of fit his character .

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can absolutely understand characters like Alistair and even Anders gaining massive followings simply due to how big a part they play in the overall story, and because of how much time is spent developing their relationship with the protagonist. There's really no comparison between something like that and Cullen who was literally just one boilerplate NPC out of dozens.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

"Hey Varric how's it going. Whoops looks like we just lost our caste because we came to the surface to see you. Thats a real problem since I'm the king. Well no point exploring this further later!"

:roflolmao: Ok I'm convinced, this would have been great.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Helith posted:

Wait what? I did the Dalish Elf start and I didn't remember her being there.
I remember that it's supposed to be the same group but I didn't remember her being named.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BrianWilly posted:

I can absolutely understand characters like Alistair and even Anders gaining massive followings simply due to how big a part they play in the overall story, and because of how much time is spent developing their relationship with the protagonist. There's really no comparison between something like that and Cullen who was literally just one boilerplate NPC out of dozens.

But he has a crush on the female Warden which she can't actively reciprocate, which instantly made him popular as a 'you can't have him' toy.

Unrelated, but I find it funny that Brian Bloom (who voices Varric) was also in Origins as Leske, another snarky dwarf companion. Makes him one of the few VAs to appear in every game (bar Awakening) but not voice the same character every time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taear posted:

Wait what? I did the Dalish Elf start and I didn't remember her being there.
I remember that it's supposed to be the same group but I didn't remember her being named.

She goes with you to the ruin at the end of the Dalish start, after your buddy gets corrupted, as a temporary party member.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cythereal posted:

She goes with you to the ruin at the end of the Dalish start, after your buddy gets corrupted, as a temporary party member.

she's also way more serious than she is in DA2

side note: the original idea for who was going to merge with Justice in DA2 wasn't Anders -- it was Velanna. She and Sigrun seem like they're in the dustbin of DA companions -- p. much everyone else has showed up or gotten a mention in subsequent games, but both of them disappear from the narrative regardless of epilogue

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 16, 2020

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe one or both will be a nice surprise in Tevinter.

KittyEmpress posted:

Not nearly cute enough to demand a fandom however.

This is exactly how "fandom" works as far as I know.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Maybe one or both will be a nice surprise in Tevinter.

Yeah it's just interesting to see who they decide to bring forward from each game. Part of it is fan appeal (which explains Cullen) but I always wondered about, like Oghren being important enough to be brought from DA:O to Awakening but then, as far as I know, never mentioned at all in subsequent games.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I read an interview with someone at Bioware where they were pretty defensive about including Oghren in Awakenings, saying something like 'well we developers liked him anyway'. I think they dropped him because he was much less popular than they expected, but they found out too late for the dlc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pattonesque posted:

side note: the original idea for who was going to merge with Justice in DA2 wasn't Anders -- it was Velanna. She and Sigrun seem like they're in the dustbin of DA companions -- p. much everyone else has showed up or gotten a mention in subsequent games, but both of them disappear from the narrative regardless of epilogue

Wasn't Velanna a hardcore anti-human elf? I think she would work well as an agent of Fen'Harel, if they want to bring her back to DA4.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Wasn't Velanna a hardcore anti-human elf? I think she would work well as an agent of Fen'Harel, if they want to bring her back to DA4.

yeah she's a Keeper's First who kills a bunch of humans after merchants try to push her clan out of their woods. You can (in typical BioWare fashion) change her views on humans quite a bit but if they wanted to bring someone back she'd be a good fit for DA4

Oh dear me posted:

I read an interview with someone at Bioware where they were pretty defensive about including Oghren in Awakenings, saying something like 'well we developers liked him anyway'. I think they dropped him because he was much less popular than they expected, but they found out too late for the dlc.

yeah that makes sense. I was just weirded out by like ... no mention in a codex entry, no war table mission, no Leliana going "ah yes, I remember the time Oghren did [something twee and Whedonesque]." It's very much not in BioWare's nature to go cold turkey like that.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Pattonesque posted:

yeah that makes sense. I was just weirded out by like ... no mention in a codex entry, no war table mission, no Leliana going "ah yes, I remember the time Oghren did [something twee and Whedonesque]." It's very much not in BioWare's nature to go cold turkey like that.

I mean... "Haha he's a self-obsessed abuser who leers at anything in a skirt, get it ?! No but it's funny cause he's a drunk gently caress-up you see ?" is a joke that hasn't aged particularly well. Or was very funny to begin with.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kobal2 posted:

I mean... "Haha he's a self-obsessed abuser who leers at anything in a skirt, get it ?! No but it's funny cause he's a drunk gently caress-up you see ?" is a joke that hasn't aged particularly well. Or was very funny to begin with.

you know that very well could be the answer. good on them if it is

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Cullen should be in every Dragon Age game because he was right.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Kobal2 posted:

In defense of Oghren, I think his "joke" worked well enough in Origins that he was a walking stereotype of what you usually expect to see from dwarves in a lot of generic fantasy settings, but only to stand in sharp contrast to an entire dwarven society that loving hates him because he's just a belligerent drunk.

Bringing him back for the DLC, however, was a catastrophic mistake.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Every time I try to talk to Oghren in camp he just shouts ASSCHAPS and giggles.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah Oghren was fine in that he was every dumb dwarf in fantasy literature: the stereotype, but the game was ok with showing you how all that meant was that he was damaging himself and every single person around him as an abusive rear end in a top hat.

I dunno why they thought he would be popular though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So,I'm replaying DAO. Guess what Sandal's first spoken word is?

"hello". I guess it isn't until later that he speaks only in different intonations of "enchantment", like a Pokemon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah Oghren was fine in that he was every dumb dwarf in fantasy literature: the stereotype, but the game was ok with showing you how all that meant was that he was damaging himself and every single person around him as an abusive rear end in a top hat.

I dunno why they thought he would be popular though.

pretty sure they also expected Merrill to take off like a rocket and be an all time favorite given the "giggle-squee" mentality.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Generic American posted:

In defense of Oghren, I think his "joke" worked well enough in Origins that he was a walking stereotype of what you usually expect to see from dwarves in a lot of generic fantasy settings, but only to stand in sharp contrast to an entire dwarven society that loving hates him because he's just a belligerent drunk.

I hadn't seen him that way or understood that. That's a interesting angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

pentyne posted:

pretty sure they also expected Merrill to take off like a rocket and be an all time favorite given the "giggle-squee" mentality.

Aveline is best girl in DA2, Isabela is a nice 2nd and the two bounce off each other really well.

If the mages didn't all actually hate each other DA2 has one of my favourite dysfunctional family parties.