Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Using AXBY or symbols is a dumb idea anyway.

OUYA had the right idea.

:newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

When I play ARMS online during the day with NA players; I kick a lot of butt. When I play at night with the jpn players I get whooped on.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

In those cases, the correct "accept" button is "Start."

The A vs B debate is as simple as your natural "yes" and "no" head movement response. There's a reason almost every human culture in the world makes "head center, nodding, staying focused on what you're facing " its "yes" and "turn head to the side, away from what it's facing" as its "no." Bottom center face button is your thumb's natural resting spot, with the tip of your thumb on Y. Based on ergonomics, the B button should be "yes" because it's the natural "home base, stay focused on what you're doing" button and the A button is the equivalent "moving outward and away, signaling you disapprove and want to move onto something else" action.

You know who else understands this absolutely fundamental truth about human nature? Literally every single other console company in the history of the industry, and every independent PC dev studio with controller support.

you should visit Bulgaria sometime

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also Turkey and Greece. But the rest of their post is bullshit so it's not really worth rebutting. I just picked up the 3 controllers I have in arms reach (Xbone, Switch Pro and SN30 Pro) and I'd have to say my 'neutral' thumb position is either in the middle of the 4 face buttons or, if any button, actually the left most one on each pad, and I don't have particularly large hands.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Xbox is the only company to get it right (green/yes red/no).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

if anyone took a chance on the $2 Thief Simulator sale from a while back, a big patch was released today. Supposedly has performance improvements:

https://nintendoeverything.com/thief-simulator-update-out-now-patch-notes/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wamdoodle posted:

if anyone took a chance on the $2 Thief Simulator sale from a while back, a big patch was released today. Supposedly has performance improvements:

https://nintendoeverything.com/thief-simulator-update-out-now-patch-notes/

Hell Yeah! I knew they were going to use my $2 wisely

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No idea, I probably won't get around to playing it for a few months.
Yeah that was more of a general thread question, because I'm interested in the collection, but from the state at launch it almost seems like I'm better off playing my PS2 disc for G2 and buying the PSOne Classics version of Grandia if I ever feel like playing it.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also Turkey and Greece. But the rest of their post is bullshit so it's not really worth rebutting. I just picked up the 3 controllers I have in arms reach (Xbone, Switch Pro and SN30 Pro) and I'd have to say my 'neutral' thumb position is either in the middle of the 4 face buttons or, if any button, actually the left most one on each pad, and I don't have particularly large hands.
Yeah, my resting thumb position on both the DualShock 3 and the Wii U Pro Controller (the two controllers I use most) is with my thumb across all four buttons.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So, somehow I'm being proven wrong by having it pointed out to me that the A and B buttons were intentionally labeled as they were, which is supposed to make everything better I guess? I understand that Nintendo wanted the A button to be the accept button and the B button to be the cancel button, and so they named them that way.

They still got them backwards. They're still wrong. Doesn't matter how they're labeled.

"No no no, sir. We've decided to call these glove-shaped things 'shoes' which obviously go on feet because they're named shoes, and we're calling these shoe-shaped things 'gloves' which obviously go on hands because they're called gloves, so because they're named that way, you're clearly wrong about how they should be worn. The labels are the most important things about them, not how they're shaped or placed according to your natural inclinations for using them."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 17, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I guess go back to 1983 and tell Gunpei Yokoi he got it wrong

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

So, somehow I'm being proven wrong by having it pointed out to me that the A and B buttons were intentionally labeled as they were, which is supposed to make everything better I guess? I understand that Nintendo wanted the A button to be the accept button and the B button to be the cancel button, and so they named them that way.

They still got them backwards. They're still wrong. Doesn't matter how they're labeled.

"No no no, sir. We've decided to call these glove-shaped things 'shoes' which obviously go on feet because they're named shoes, and we're calling these shoe-shaped things 'gloves' which obviously go on hands because they're called gloves, so because they're named that way, you're clearly wrong about how they should be worn. The labels are the most important things about them, not how they're shaped or placed according to your natural inclinations for using them."

what

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GreatGreen posted:

Incredible you were somehow able to make a post that is worse than your last. Truly remarkable feat you've accomplished here.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GreatGreen posted:

They did it first. Sony and Microsoft are wrong.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

GreatGreen posted:

Are you on drugs? It's cool if you are, I'm stoned too.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I like Minecraft will I like Dragon Quest Builders 2? I see the sale ends tonight.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Harry Privates posted:

I like Minecraft will I like Dragon Quest Builders 2? I see the sale ends tonight.

It’s basically Minecraft but with structure and a plot so if that sounds interesting then yes. There’s also a lengthy demo to try.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Harry Privates posted:

It's more structured and less purely creative than Minecraft (which I prefer). It's extra good if you're familiar with DQ lore and can enjoy the music.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harry Privates posted:

Hard Maybe. DQB is a much more directed game, eventually some sandbox stuff opens up but a lot of the time you are being railroaded through the story. It's a good builder though

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Can you make a post that isn't mindless rambling

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SeANMcBAY posted:

They did it first. Sony and Microsoft are wrong.

to be fair Sony made their A and B buttons O and X respectively, knowing which ones had basically been codified as confirm and cancel

it was North American developers that flipped it around for no reason

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Hard Maybe. DQB is a much more directed game, eventually some sandbox stuff opens up but a lot of the time you are being railroaded through the story. It's a good builder though

Do I need to follow plans to build or can you complete quests building something 10 different ways?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Since Thief Simulator got a major update, is it good now? At least the performance?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
How does Invisible Inc compare to Into the Breach?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bleck posted:

to be fair Sony made their A and B buttons O and X respectively, knowing which ones had basically been codified as confirm and cancel

it was North American developers that flipped it around for no reason

Is there a way to make it the Japanese settings on PlayStation or does it depend on the game?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harry Privates posted:

Do I need to follow plans to build or can you complete quests building something 10 different ways?
Both, sometimes there is a explicit blueprint you have to follow exactly, sometimes they'll say "well a bathroom needs these three things in it" and you can use your imagination as long as it has a toilet and a towel rack or whatever

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
For the sale I got resident evil 1 and 4, and The Lost Child.

I've been working through my obscene backlog, starting with The Messenger, dragon quest 11, and fire emblem 2nd house. It feels good not to be wanting any more games for a bit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Sir, this is a KB Toys that's been shut down for fifteen years.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

American McGay posted:

Is there a switch controller with Xbox 360 color scheme? Also remapped my buttons when that feature came out and wish it would stop asking if I really wanted to remap them after all, want to change it back?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

Glad I'm not colorblind...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oscar Wild posted:

For the sale I got resident evil 1 and 4, and The Lost Child.

I've been working through my obscene backlog, starting with The Messenger, dragon quest 11, and fire emblem 2nd house. It feels good not to be wanting any more games for a bit.

I still want more. Thinking of grabbing Fantasy Zone before the sale ends.

I’ll rebuy RE4 eventually but I’ll hold off now since I know it goes on sale like monthly and I want to get through RE1 Remake and RE3 Remake before going back to it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a way to make it the Japanese settings on PlayStation or does it depend on the game?

PS4 has system level button remapping, iirc

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
People love the SNES to a ridiculously overhyped degree, but hate the SNES-established A/B rules. A real conundrum.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also the concave button setup that the superior US SNES had should have caught on.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also the concave button setup that the superior US SNES had should have caught on.

finally someone's making some drat sense around here

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GreatGreen posted:

Also, why do we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Losing the concave buttons was the necessary sacrifice to be rid of that godawful parmaviolet colour scheme

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury Crusader posted:

People love the SNES to a ridiculously overhyped degree

The hype associated with my degree of loving the SNES is indeed very high, but perfectly calibrated

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the SNES is adequately hyped. The NES is the overhyped one.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Detective No. 27 posted:

can I get a hell :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the SNES is adequately hyped. The NES is the overhyped one.

Modern day internet has told me that the SNES is the best but only for like five specific games that rotate around depending on who you ask, while the NES doesn't exist anymore.