Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

“As Texas begins to recover”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I might not be able to renew my driver's license before the election.

Which would probably be a good thing in Abbot's book.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized the same thing might happen to me mine expires in like 2 months.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Having a sprouts, HEB, and a Walmart all within walking distance is pretty nice. They all have their purpose.

But seriously how is Randall’s and Kroger still in business? They are always empty no matter the time.

Kroger’s is massive compared to heb, it’s like second to Walmart in general size. It’s also unionized even in Texas so they probably have restrictions on closing stores

Randall/Tom thumb in Texas was up for sale for basically the last 15 years, instead someone bought the whole Safeway company and merged it with Albertsons. It’s still a much larger corporation than heb even tho it’s been shrinking

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

zoux posted:

“As Texas begins to recover”

This makes sense if the only perspective you factor in is the economy. From a public health and well-being standpoint we’re eating more poo poo every day, but the governor‘s made his priorities and followed definition clear.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It was always a battle between epidemiologists and economists, and given enough time the latter will win out. Just make the public health crisis a matter of personal responsibility and ride it out. I am dreading the start of school.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Zil posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized the same thing might happen to me mine expires in like 2 months.

Last time I renewed mine I was able to do it online and even got the RealID version though I was supposed to have to go in to a DPS location to do it. There are some sort of criteria you have to meet, like I think if you're under a certain age or over a certain age or maybe it's been 10 years since you last had a photo done or some other junk like that you're required to go in, but otherwise you can just do it online and skip the day-long process doing it at an office.

And also go ahead and start that now. You don't have to wait for it to actually expire.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, I got my license renewed through the website recently and it's the realID version.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

And also go ahead and start that now. You don't have to wait for it to actually expire.

Good point, went ahead and renewed now I don't have to worry till 2028.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DuckHuntDog posted:

It was always a battle between epidemiologists and economists, and given enough time the latter will win out. Just make the public health crisis a matter of personal responsibility and ride it out. I am dreading the start of school.

there are rather a lot of economists who factor in things like "number of deaths" and "cost of those deaths", don't put this evil on us

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Economists have a bad reputation because they're the most asocial of the social scientists and naturally tend to overlook really important things.

Also since it's a confused enough field, politicians can usually just shop around for one who will tell them the thing they already want to do will improve the economy, and half the time they don't even bother and just hire some rear end in a top hat in a suit to pretend to be an economist because nobody will tell the difference. It doesn't matter how many people write papers on the damages happening, if some idiot can just quote the laffer curve and spin some bullshit about how actually letting people die and suffer and get locked into impossible debt will make everything better, that's the guy who they'll latch onto.

Although that's not exclusive to economics, seeing as how that's the basis for Jordan Peterson's career.

ReidRansom posted:

Last time I renewed mine I was able to do it online and even got the RealID version though I was supposed to have to go in to a DPS location to do it. There are some sort of criteria you have to meet, like I think if you're under a certain age or over a certain age or maybe it's been 10 years since you last had a photo done or some other junk like that you're required to go in, but otherwise you can just do it online and skip the day-long process doing it at an office.

I mean sure, it's great when you can skip the DMV, but I put all my numbers into their online site and they said no.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kunabomber posted:

Yeah, I got my license renewed through the website recently and it's the realID version.

Mrs pony has to go in to get her license renewed and hers is already a realID license. No idea why they are making her go in it we aren't happy about it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If the last time you got a license was online you have to go in person, which is why I haven’t renewed mine yet.

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

Randall/Tom thumb in Texas was up for sale for basically the last 15 years, instead someone bought the whole Safeway company and merged it with Albertsons. It’s still a much larger corporation than heb even tho it’s been shrinking

I seem to recall that there was a brief moment in the early 90's, at least in Houston, when all the Safeways disappeared at least a few stores were bought by the Union, or maybe some execs that went out on their own? and became Apple Tree stores for about a year before that company went under too.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Real Texans obviously only shop at Arlan's.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Shifty Pony posted:

Mrs pony has to go in to get her license renewed and hers is already a realID license. No idea why they are making her go in it we aren't happy about it.

You have to update your photo and have your eyesight checked every 1years. Which works out to every other renewal with our 6 year expiration. That’s why they make you renew in person if you renewed online last time.

Edit: looks like TX licenses are good for up to 8 years now.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 17, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/delrayser/status/1273007874269118464

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Well, that's great. Y'all are on track for days with 20k new cases in a month or so at that rate.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, that's great. Y'all are on track for days with 20k new cases in a month or so at that rate.

*clap clap clap clap*

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Lol both the pre-school my kid went to before the lockdown and the one she's going to now after the lockdown have reported covid cases.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Very glad I did my grocery shopping today before things go apeshit. Everyone in the Central Market seems to still be taking this very seriously, everyone masked up and all.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

The superintendent of my kids' school district announced tonight that school would be back to normal in August. Not that our area is covid free, just that schools would be starting back up and be completely in person again.

Gee, wouldn't it be something if children could carry the disease and then spread it to people who are high risk? I'm glad the schoolboard is so loving on top of things.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

austin's new caseload went slightly down today from yesterday so i'm interested to see where those new spikes were

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

austin's new caseload went slightly down today from yesterday so i'm interested to see where those new spikes were

Prisons

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ratmtattat posted:

The superintendent of my kids' school district announced tonight that school would be back to normal in August. Not that our area is covid free, just that schools would be starting back up and be completely in person again.

The school year still being in session in August is normal? I thought the schools were just about ready to call it quits for the year. I've been seeing all these "2020 Graduate" signs.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

They started the mass testing in the prisons two or three weeks ago. It isn't just that, although that's part of it.

Edit: Also the state prisons have been going to pretty extreme measures to contain the spread. There's no huge spike in them, although they're seeing higher rates of infection than the general population. The reporting of spikes in places like Collin County, where they literally said gently caress lockdowns, is a lot more plausible than out of control spikes in the prisons, where they've literally had everyone locked down for two months.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 17, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

litany of gulps posted:

They started the mass testing in the prisons two or three weeks ago. It isn't just that, although that's part of it.

Edit: Also the state prisons have been going to pretty extreme measures to contain the spread. There's no huge spike in them, although they're seeing higher rates of infection than the general population. The reporting of spikes in places like Collin County, where they literally said gently caress lockdowns, is a lot more plausible than out of control spikes in the prisons, where they've literally had everyone locked down for two months.

:shrug: The people on twitter calling it fake news were saying that because some prison batches came in.

But it seems like there's a big batch coming in at once most days, so I dunno if it matters.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

:shrug: The people on twitter calling it fake news were saying that because some prison batches came in.

But it seems like there's a big batch coming in at once most days, so I dunno if it matters.

There probably are big prison batches coming in every day, but that would've been the case for every day for the past couple of weeks. All of the prisons have been implementing serious lockdown measures to contain spread, too. Quarantining people that show symptoms, even if they haven't tested positive. No movement between dorms (meaning limited food options and commissary stuff), even if it means unrest and potential riots. Not accepting new prisoners, which threatens their budgets. The state prisons have actually really done the right thing here, for the most part, to contain the spread of any infection, at least as well as they can. Any spike cannot be attributed to them.

Edit: OK - apparently the latest numbers may be partially inflated because some prisons in some areas are actually reporting the real numbers that they've concealed for some time.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 17, 2020

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbH60wCO-Yw

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Yee fuckin haw.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At his press conference, Abbott said yesterday the total was 2600+

Ah they're suddenly not counting prisoners as part of the total

https://twitter.com/kherman/status/1273237643288031233

Well, he's definitely an Aggie now

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 17, 2020

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

SlothfulCobra posted:

The school year still being in session in August is normal? I thought the schools were just about ready to call it quits for the year. I've been seeing all these "2020 Graduate" signs.

Sorry, anger posting wasn't clear. The next school year they're saying will be returning to in person classes like nothing has ever happened. This will be in August for the start of the school year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1273213371165429760

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there are rather a lot of economists who factor in things like "number of deaths" and "cost of those deaths", don't put this evil on us

Don't worry I was being glib and of course nobody has been listening to any experts unless they conform to the desired outcome. I wasn't really putting the blame on economists.

Ratmtattat posted:

Gee, wouldn't it be something if children could carry the disease and then spread it to people who are high risk? I'm glad the schoolboard is so loving on top of things.

It is worth remembering that children aren't completely free of risk of death and serious complications, and the staff will all also quickly get sick as well. There is no way they could actually let people stay home long enough to recover completely once they do get sick. Any social distancing on buses, during lunches, in the classroom, etc., will be impossible. Despite all of this, if parents are all back at work, there is absolutely no way they can keep students from going back to school. Too many parents across the state need schools to be open to watch their kids, or they can't work and then its the same as if we are locked down. We just live in a society that cannot function in a crisis, so we have to ignore it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/POLITICOPro/status/1272979005113860097

By "most" they mean 94 percent.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So your saying there is a chance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm saying I'm glad I'm not a public school official. I do not see how you maintain social distancing and other preventative protocols among a bunch of 6-10 year olds and so, absent a vaccine, I don't see how you re-open schools. And if you can't re-open schools you can't "re-open" the economy because people rely on schools for daycare.

There's apparently a huge outbreak in Beijing right now and they just closed down that city's entire public education system. It doesn't seem possible that things will be back to normal in three months, especially since we're now doing nothing to stop the spread.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

So what's their fuckin' spin now? They got anything else besides "it's all in the prisons" and "it's just increased testing"? Because San Antonio just posted a record daily new case count that was double the previous worst day, and the positivity rate just skyrocketed to nearly 16%.

quote:

“We are in, by far, the worst crisis we have seen since this started,” Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said at a Tuesday briefing....

“Everything was good,” [San Antonio] Metro Health Director Dawn Emerick said on Tuesday. “And now, bam, all of a sudden, everything is blinking.”
Almost like that bunch of people taking their masks off and running down to Corpus to cram the bars and restaurants was a bad idea, huh? Who could possibly have predicted this!
I think this is all bluster and it's not actually gonna happen, but if any fan base is capable of the cultish self-delusion necessary to think this is a good idea, well, figures that it'd be the Aggies.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm saying I'm glad I'm not a public school official. I do not see how you maintain social distancing and other preventative protocols among a bunch of 6-10 year olds and so, absent a vaccine, I don't see how you re-open schools. And if you can't re-open schools you can't "re-open" the economy because people rely on schools for daycare.

There's apparently a huge outbreak in Beijing right now and they just closed down that city's entire public education system. It doesn't seem possible that things will be back to normal in three months, especially since we're now doing nothing to stop the spread.

Yeah I do not envy them at all right now. My mom is a teacher in a small town and they are not even planning on going back normally this fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the most irritating thing about all this is that state republicans will pay zero price for completely loving this all up.