Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

axeil posted:

:toot:

First time beating all the Covert Operations missions too. Holy poo poo some of those were hard, and grindy as hell to boot. I'm kind of relieved I'm done, I always enjoyed Red Alert a lot more. :getin:

:toot: I salute you hard mode commander.

The red alert missions are much better. I just finished all the RA and the expansion missions and some of them are really well done and a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh wow, I just discovered that the player commander on the GDI side of the first game, is actually your CO played by James Earl Jones in Tiberian Sun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

HannibalBarca posted:

There's a sort of running theme I've noticed in TD and RA1 where the strategic map doesn't actually make much sense in conjunction with the briefing and/or missions. In either Nod 2 or Nod 3, your strategic map puts you in a completely different country from the ones Seth mentions in the briefing (mixing up, like, Niger and Mauritania or something).

Yeah, it's pretty bad with Seth's briefing having maps that point to actively different countries than where you clicked. Just in case you didn't miss that the names were wrong. No wonder he's getting kinda pissed at you after a while: He tells you to go to point A, you go to point B, and Kane still loves your work!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh wow, I just discovered that the player commander on the GDI side of the first game, is actually your CO played by James Earl Jones in Tiberian Sun.

Oh yeah? That's cool.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
By the same logic, i'm going to consider Michael Ironside's character in C&C3 to be the player character in Tiberian Sun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bad with Seth's briefing having maps that point to actively different countries than where you clicked. Just in case you didn't miss that the names were wrong. No wonder he's getting kinda pissed at you after a while: He tells you to go to point A, you go to point B, and Kane still loves your work!

I also love that there are identical missions set in both Ukraine and Germany

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Ugh, TibDawn skirmish mode is not very fun. Small and bad maps with limited resources combined with the fact that the game is primarily balanced around single player makes for a rather tedious experience. The maps don't really seem to allow you to expand your base much so you're kind of forced to just focus on using mid tech units and trying to capture enemy buildings until you win. Not a lot of room for experimentation. It seems like they intentionally tried to encourage quick, deathmatch style games that tend to end quickly? I remember as a kid really wishing that there was some way to have a skirmish mode in TibDawn after playing it in Red Alert simply because I wanted to play with all of the higher tech units and buildings without having to get to them in the campaign. I think I even went so far as to try and search for mods that added it into the game but no such luck was had.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Arrrthritis posted:

By the same logic, i'm going to consider Michael Ironside's character in C&C3 to be the player character in Tiberian Sun.

unfortunately the Tiberian Sun player is shown onscreen as Michael Biehn's character, whathisname, Ace McHotshot or whatever

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The skirmish AI also has a tendency to wall itself off. I had a game where one AI somehow managed to block all access to its island with power plants and then had to build a satellite refinery on the other side. Undefended, of course.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

obese retard posted:

Ugh, TibDawn skirmish mode is not very fun. Small and bad maps with limited resources combined with the fact that the game is primarily balanced around single player makes for a rather tedious experience. The maps don't really seem to allow you to expand your base much so you're kind of forced to just focus on using mid tech units and trying to capture enemy buildings until you win. Not a lot of room for experimentation. It seems like they intentionally tried to encourage quick, deathmatch style games that tend to end quickly? I remember as a kid really wishing that there was some way to have a skirmish mode in TibDawn after playing it in Red Alert simply because I wanted to play with all of the higher tech units and buildings without having to get to them in the campaign. I think I even went so far as to try and search for mods that added it into the game but no such luck was had.

I did the same thing as a kid. I really wanted to build huge bases with Obelisks everywhere and having now played multiplayer and skirmish I gotta say that 8 year-old me was a dumbass.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

axeil posted:

So I just figured out another thing Hard changes: Harvesters don't auto-heal back to 50%. Weirdly the Mammoth tank still does but I had a Harvester in the red for almost an entire mission.

I have to say, my modification to the difficulty has made things way more fun. I'm up to the final GDI mission and other than some save scums/reloads when I screwed up this has been going much smoother than the NOD campaign. Then again, the GDI campaign (minus a few particularly nasty missions) is far easier than the NOD campaign.

Grats on completing hard. I beat all Sc2 on Brutal, but Tiberian Dawn on Hard had me wondering if my units were worse or enemy units better. Glad to see it's not just me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADjefF4l6c note the Nod light tank beating a GDI medium tank in a head-on fight.

I captured the GDI base and full map cleared Nod 6c. Doing it on 7a hard took sandbagging the south bridge, distracting GDI pathing other ways, and chain building silos to 2 far away tiberium fields. Even then, my light tank army was barely enough to crush GDI. Their Medium tanks are closer to Mammoth tanks normally.

Your notes on hard are helpful. I'm leery of giving my units stat penalties in RTS games, prefer more enemies. Making your units less agile reduces skill differences.I'd like to modify Hard to get rid of all the unit performance changes. AI having more/infinite money and having more units is Ok. Going back to Normal for a while until I can set that up.

edit: He talks about Grenadiers being insane, omg, they gave me so much f'ing trouble on Hard every mission. Totally had the same reaction of not remembering them being THAT ridiculous.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 16, 2020

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

axeil posted:

I did the same thing as a kid. I really wanted to build huge bases with Obelisks everywhere and having now played multiplayer and skirmish I gotta say that 8 year-old me was a dumbass.

Not only did I want to build cool looking bases/fortresses like I did in RA skirmish, but Nod has two units that are only buildable in multiplayer that I wanted to mess with, Chem Troopers and SSM Launchers. Seeing as how their both late game units and trying to get to late game tech in skirmish/multiplayer is such a slog, using said units looks to be pretty pointless.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

obese retard posted:

Not only did I want to build cool looking bases/fortresses like I did in RA skirmish, but Nod has two units that are only buildable in multiplayer that I wanted to mess with, Chem Troopers and SSM Launchers. Seeing as how their both late game units and trying to get to late game tech in skirmish/multiplayer is such a slog, using said units looks to be pretty pointless.

You could always install one of those tiberium growth multiplier mods and give it a whirl with that.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Mordja posted:

You could always install one of those tiberium growth multiplier mods and give it a whirl with that.

:hmmyes:

Didn't even cross my mind to try and do that. Thanks for the idea.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
If anyone is kinda veered away by online play I highly recommend at least getting your toes wet. Sure you do have to micro a bit to bend well with the pathfinding and hard counters. But I promise you. I promise. That its not as difficult as some other RTS games you have played in the past. Starcraft 2 took me awhile to get somewhat ok in gold league but learning that and going to this game was easier for me. Playing online and learning how to play faster helped me become a better player during some of the campaign and bonus missions.

You are going to get your rear end kicked and wonder how the enemy built a monster army very quickly. Thats ok. Once you learn how to do that initial push you are well on your way on enjoying that bike ride.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Lt. Danger posted:

unfortunately the Tiberian Sun player is shown onscreen as Michael Biehn's character, whathisname, Ace McHotshot or whatever

Not the player character in Firestorm, though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Arrrthritis posted:

If the enemy has extra silos that the money can go to, you don't get anything aside from the silo. If there's no where for the resources to go, you collect any resources the enemy cannot store (in addition to the silo).

in TD if you capture a silo you get the money in it, so when full its around 1500. in RA, you dont, but the allies get a thief unit take steals some portion of the money stored in it (only works on silos and its defined in rules.ini) and you can make a thief steal 400,000% of the money in a silo which will essentially give you unlimited funds.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alkydere posted:

Seth is a self interested rear end in a top hat first and foremost, and sometimes he's trying to get you to do the wrong thing or literally telling you what other more important people :smug: are doing and that you need to figure out the rest.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

In regards to red alert 1v1 multiplayer, my conclusion unfortunately is it's all tank spam w/ "q" micro. When someone hits a critical mass of tanks, they should plow them into the enemy base to destroy all the buildings since the tanks will raze the enemy base before the tanks can be destroyed. There's still a decent amount of strategy in how you use those tanks.

The only probably viable variation to tank spam is load an APC w/ 5 riflemen or rocket soldiers for razing down a structure. They'll do way more dps than the same cost in tanks and be faster.

Mass infantry spam early game can be countered by appropriate scouting and countering w/ your own infantry and anti-infantry and segueing that into an overall advantage in more vehicles.

All the projectile weapons do low glancing damage to moving tanks. There is some opportunity for force firing the ground to get full damage on a moving tank, but it's very latency sensitive and difficult to do.

Rocket soldiers can still fire if you press "X" to scatter after having selected a target. Rocket soldiers do a shitload of damage to tanks for their cost if you hit a stationary tank or force fire the ground on a moving tank. They still suck rear end.

The game numbers are unfortunately balanced around fairly passive players who will not ruthlessly Q micro and vehicle crush infantry. I feel like the game could have a large variety in units and strategy while retaining its feel if some numbers were just changed around.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

axeil posted:

The Chronosphere in general kinda sucks. You so rarely want to teleport anywhere because it doesn't give you any kind of advantage in the single player campaign. I'd much rather make some of my strike force invulnerable for a minute.

its only useful for teleporting a cruiser to a lake near the enemy base. and even then its situational. if it worked via group select it might be ok. so you could chronoshift a full group of units into the soviet base.

chrono tanks are a waste of money. but i wont hear anyone badmouth the nuclear trucks the RA expansion added.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

in TD if you capture a silo you get the money in it, so when full its around 1500. in RA, you dont, but the allies get a thief unit take steals some portion of the money stored in it (only works on silos and its defined in rules.ini) and you can make a thief steal 400,000% of the money in a silo which will essentially give you unlimited funds.

You definitely get money from the silos in RA, at least in singleplayer. I think it might be 1000 or 1500 too if it's full.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

comedyblissoption posted:

I feel like the game could have a large variety in units and strategy while retaining its feel if some numbers were just changed around.

You're probably gonna want to look into OpenRA for that, since it actually changes the flow of the game, to much controversy.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/ha6vr0/launch_update_and_upcoming_patch/

Non-comprehensive list of fixes from the upcoming patch. Includes things like: Private game lobbies, deploy hotkeys for transports/APCs, unit queuing for TibDawn repair bay, and some Quickmatch adjustments.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HannibalBarca posted:

There's a sort of running theme I've noticed in TD and RA1 where the strategic map doesn't actually make much sense in conjunction with the briefing and/or missions. In either Nod 2 or Nod 3, your strategic map puts you in a completely different country from the ones Seth mentions in the briefing (mixing up, like, Niger and Mauritania or something).

The prima strategy guide for RA mentioned a mission where there were two possible missions and both on Elba island and said it made him uncomfortable, like Napoleon had a twin brother or something

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

obese retard posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/ha6vr0/launch_update_and_upcoming_patch/

Non-comprehensive list of fixes from the upcoming patch. Includes things like: Private game lobbies, deploy hotkeys for transports/APCs, unit queuing for TibDawn repair bay, and some Quickmatch adjustments.

quote:

Removing Aftermath units from Quickmatch in Red Alert (due to extreme balance issues)

What Aftermath units are overpowered in multiplayer?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Watch it be missile subs

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What Aftermath units are overpowered in multiplayer?

Tesla tanks are really good if you control them, iirc

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Has to be Tesla Tanks. They are good against everything and have good range. Stick them behind some Heavy Tanks and they'll never die.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Watch it be missile subs

He explains in one of the Reddit comments; it is indeed the missile subs

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

It's probably necessary to remove Aftermath units from quickplay because most of the new units that were added in that expansion heavily favored the Soviets: M.A.D. Tanks, Missile Subs, Tesla Tanks and Shock Troopers. What did the Allies get? Field Mechanics and Chrono Tanks. :geno:

The only new unit that was shared among both factions were the Demo Trucks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
missile subs suck. they take the allies gimmick make it better and give it to the already dominate team.

idea! chrono shift should work on enemy units.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

obese retard posted:

It's probably necessary to remove Aftermath units from quickplay because most of the new units that were added in that expansion heavily favored the Soviets: M.A.D. Tanks, Missile Subs, Tesla Tanks and Shock Troopers. What did the Allies get? Field Mechanics and Chrono Tanks. :geno:

The only new unit that was shared among both factions were the Demo Trucks.

tbf, mechanics are actually really good. but yea, short end of the stick for sure.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Allies seems preferred over soviet in multiplayer because of the light tanks and "Q" micro. The "Q" micro makes damaging them really hard and their speed can let them box in and harass soviets.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What does "Q" micro mean?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mordja posted:

You're probably gonna want to look into OpenRA for that, since it actually changes the flow of the game, to much controversy.
What exactly does OpenRA change? Like I know they rebalanced the game but I couldn't find a full list of what exactly they actually did.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

"Q" micro means you give your tanks an attack order and then you hold Q and click somewhere to waypoint a move. The tanks will then fire at the target and move at the same time, making your tanks take much less damage to glancing shots.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eregos posted:

Grats on completing hard. I beat all Sc2 on Brutal, but Tiberian Dawn on Hard had me wondering if my units were worse or enemy units better. Glad to see it's not just me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADjefF4l6c note the Nod light tank beating a GDI medium tank in a head-on fight.

I captured the GDI base and full map cleared Nod 6c. Doing it on 7a hard took sandbagging the south bridge, distracting GDI pathing other ways, and chain building silos to 2 far away tiberium fields. Even then, my light tank army was barely enough to crush GDI. Their Medium tanks are closer to Mammoth tanks normally.

Your notes on hard are helpful. I'm leery of giving my units stat penalties in RTS games, prefer more enemies. Making your units less agile reduces skill differences.I'd like to modify Hard to get rid of all the unit performance changes. AI having more/infinite money and having more units is Ok. Going back to Normal for a while until I can set that up.

edit: He talks about Grenadiers being insane, omg, they gave me so much f'ing trouble on Hard every mission. Totally had the same reaction of not remembering them being THAT ridiculous.

If you want everyone at parity here's a mediafire file with that done: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ors36xvyye0vtex/CONFIG_%28hard_same_as_normal%29.MEG/file

This goes in CnCRemastered\Data and you should rename it to CONFIG.MEG.

Additionally here is one with my modification to Hard difficulty:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vcf8di9m1j7iweb/CONFIG.MEG/file

If this is :filez: according to a mod I will remove.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Eregos posted:

If you check the Workshop there is at least one mod that messes around with the difficulty setting. That's what I used.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Chronojam posted:

Seth is a self interested rear end in a top hat first and foremost, and sometimes he's trying to get you to do the wrong thing or literally telling you what other more important people :smug: are doing and that you need to figure out the rest.

I still remember the one mission briefing where he's happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqZZs7QWV4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I've noticed that some of the old soundtrack that was only ok is quite a lot better when you aren't listening to it on tiny 90s desktop speakers and have a bunch of bass and power.
This one in particular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQQTeFwPwc
Although the youtube isn't as good as a high quality one I think.