Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nurge posted:

I have no idea what you're saying, but ok.

You should get that sentence tattooed on your forehead.

Literally everything that you wrote in the post previous to this one was factually wrong btw; throughout April and May the country suffered an average of 30-50% more deaths than usual despite being locked down, per the CDC. That excess has been trending downward thanks to New York getting its case number under control; how do you think we'll be faring by July now that every state has decided that the pandemic is over?
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

one state opening = all states opening

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Saw on the news a pile of Florida bars and restaurants are closing again because their governor is a loving idiot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There Bias Two posted:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/dallas-woman-battling-coronavirus-again/2389265/

A Dallas woman appears to be suffering from COVID-19, *4 months* after a previous bout of it. This seems different from the cases where people simply tested negative, then positive after being infected.

I really doubt she wasn't contagious for a second time if she was hospitalized for it twice.

The question is whether she’s the exception or the rule.

There are always some people who fail to gain immunity to a particular pathogen. Is she unlucky, or does “some” become “a lot” with this disease?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Inept posted:

I think unless the hospitals get overwhelmed and people start dying in the parking lot, they're not going to close poo poo.

If the only criteria for lockdown was running out of ICU capacity, hospitals would save more lives by reducing ICU beds to keep them constantly overwhelmed and force a lockdown now instead of waiting for more cases. Must be great for the medics to know that by working so hard and risking their lives they're contributing to the problem, because people are dumb.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 17, 2020

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If these idiots who are so weak they can't stay home for a while want to go out and risk their stupid empty lives I really would encourage them to go and roll those dice. Unfortionately they're just going to harm everyone because thinking about other people is for wussies without lead in their brains.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xaintrailles posted:

If the only criteria for lockdown was running out of ICU capacity, hospitals would save more lives by reducing ICU beds to keep them constantly overwhelmed and force a lockdown now instead of waiting for more cases.

I remarked to a friend this week that the hospital bankruptcies we worried about in April may turn out to save lives.

It’s a mad, mad world.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Philthy posted:

Saw on the news a pile of Florida bars and restaurants are closing again because their governor is a loving idiot.
Yes and he had another press conference today where he says he's 'not even considering' shutdowns

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1273019794573279232?s=20

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and he had another press conference today where he says he's 'not even considering' shutdowns

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1273019794573279232?s=20

It's definitely because of the upcoming Republican convention in Jacksonville.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

There Bias Two posted:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/dallas-woman-battling-coronavirus-again/2389265/

A Dallas woman appears to be suffering from COVID-19, *4 months* after a previous bout of it. This seems different from the cases where people simply tested negative, then positive after being infected.

I really doubt she wasn't contagious for a second time if she was hospitalized for it twice.

And she donated plasma yikes

Reeeally hoping this is just a weirdo immune system quirk and not confirmation that you can get it multiple times

Whats that disease that gets worse every time you get it? Dengue or malaria, you can only get it three times or so before you croak because it keeps hitting you harder

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Nah one of his go-to lines throughout all this is that some parts of the state are pretty rural and they don’t require the same treatment as dense cities. That is, he’s been against a statewide shutdown since way before the convention move.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The governor here in Arizona has literally said that we have to learn to live with the virus and another shutdown isn't going to happen. We hit a record 2000 new cases today.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rolo posted:

Talking to southern conservative coworkers, it’s now official what their covid mental gymnastics are in place of recognizing trump’s gross negligence:

Hospitals get paid to claim deaths are due to covid, so they’re tacking it onto everything. Test positive after bleeding out from a gunshot? Covid. Greedy hospitals and Nancy Pelosi are getting rich as long as we glorify this as more than the flu.

Sounds like my sister and her husband.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

the onion really is firing on all cylinders during this. I hope the aliens that find it in our ruins get at least one cosmic chuckle.

the teddy bear wearing a mask in the photo and not the humans is just the cherry on top tbh

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Worth noting this line from the article:

quote:

McKee said her doctors believe the virus went dormant after her first round of coronavirus, then reemerged.

If she's right, then it's not a case of catching it twice, although it is another interesting quirk of the disease.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://twitter.com/AbeGoldfarb/status/1272910268356534273

it's almost like they never watched the movie(s)?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rolo posted:

Talking to southern conservative coworkers, it’s now official what their covid mental gymnastics are in place of recognizing trump’s gross negligence:

Hospitals get paid to claim deaths are due to covid, so they’re tacking it onto everything. Test positive after bleeding out from a gunshot? Covid. Greedy hospitals and Nancy Pelosi are getting rich as long as we glorify this as more than the flu.

Genuinely ask them what they think is causing this spike in All Causes deaths above the expected baseline. I find it helps to ask with 100% genuine curiosity. That way you're not accusing them of being morons, just letting them reason things out for themselves.

You can also point out that death certificates frequently lag 1-2 months in being reported to the CDC, so that curve downward is an undercount.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 17, 2020

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://fox6now.com/2020/06/16/report-next-stimulus-package-could-include-4000-vacation-credit-second-check/

We're so hosed.

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007
I am in Wisconsin and we have been seeing a spike in cases in our county in the last week, though we are not one of the big population centers. It has been mostly people in their twenties going to bars. Something like 60% of our cases are from June.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

WOoHoo! I"M GOING TO DISNEY LAND!

AND THEN IM GONNOA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I'm slowly starting to think the doctors gave him 6 months to live or something because of cheeseburger disease and he's trying to see how many people he can take with him :chaostrump:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lol a tax credit that will likely require listing individual purchases.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

This is the dumbest poo poo ever. Literally paying you to catch a virus.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Next step is a voucher for free antidepressents and vicodin.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

dudeness posted:

WOoHoo! I"M GOING TO DISNEY LAND!

AND THEN IM GONNOA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

-literally all of us in the disney thread

For real though this is a horrific idea and people are going to use it even moreso to run all over the drat place. All people have done locally is run to Savannah (I'm near Augusta) and Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head and it just keeps spreading.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

can i maybe just get the 4k

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Puppy Galaxy posted:

no,

you can only choose trump branded hotels/houseboats/mountains of loose garbage for your trump brand traveldollarz(tm)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

That depends; can you set up one of these businesses in your residence?

quote:

hotels, theme parks, restaurants, and other tourism-related businesses

I recommend a theme park. Overpriced meals, souvenirs, and expensive on-park accommodations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Speaking of Jax... https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/06/15/woman-15-friends-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-night-out-at-lynchs/

Woman and 15 friends all go to a bar, all now have the rona. Bar closed to clean then reopening, and you know people will still go there.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I mean I already bought the cruise tickets that I’ll never use.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Highway signs around San Francisco have switched from stuff about COVID-19/social distancing/don't die/wash your hands/etc. to "Don't text and drive" and "Don't litter." Traffic is significantly back up, but not back to where it was pre-corvids. I also actually see people at the train stations now.

The pandemic is almost over, y'all.

I hope this is true, but the New York Post is basically Fox News in print form, so.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zugzwang posted:

Highway signs around San Francisco have switched from stuff about COVID-19/social distancing/don't die/wash your hands/etc. to "Don't text and drive" and "Don't litter." Traffic is significantly back up, but not back to where it was pre-corvids. I also actually see people at the train stations now.

The pandemic is almost over, y'all.
I hope this is true, but the New York Post is basically Fox News in print form, so.

The pandemic is not almost over. Don't believe it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

There Bias Two posted:

I was not being serious.

For real though, I find it frightening how easy it would be to believe that ~everything's fine~ if I didn't consciously stay informed or if I didn't actually have an understanding of the basic concepts around this whole thing. Sorta like how no amount of training will turn off the brain's natural tendency to conflate correlation and causation -- you have to consciously correct it -- I could easily see myself forgetting that actually poo poo is only going to get way worse as we throw open the gates and most people stop taking precautions.

I mean, no-precautions is what got us where we are now. What do people seriously think will happen if we quit being careful when there are so many more cases now there were a few months ago? When those relatively few cases back then were enough to make things as bad as they became?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Any serious mitigation to the pandemic in the US is over, nothing is getting that cat back in the bag.

In unrelated news, we may or may not hit 120,000 dead tomorrow.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think people are just equating it back to being a head cold again and are willing to take the chance and let the olds fend for themselves.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Charliegrs posted:

The governor here in Arizona has literally said that we have to learn to live with the virus and another shutdown isn't going to happen. We hit a record 2000 new cases today.

I'm up in Sedona and for the last few weeks we've gotten back up to 90-95% occupancy at the resort I run IT at and for most all other hotels, resorts, etc in the area. Most visitors are from out of state and maybe 5% wear masks.

A restaurant next door had two positive cases last week. They claimed the employees were not working while infected so they didn't have to close, clean or disclose it to the general public. (I found out from their IT guy who told me stay not eat there)

At our resort, we have a groundskeeper being tested today. I only found out because I asked HR if they would disclose if a co-worker tested positive. The HR guy, temp in from corporate for two weeks, told me that the company would decide if we needed to be informed or not and we'd only be informed if they felt we had been exposed. That triggered me and I told the guy I might have to put in my resignation turned around and left. I went and spoke with my boss and he was pissed at the HR guy and assured me he'd tell me if anyone was positive and then told me about the potential case. Good news is I can go back to working remote 3-4 days a week and will only need to go on-site for physical fixes.

So yeah, maybe not come and vacation in Arizona right now.

Lastly, The Roni's got me stressed out...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zugzwang posted:

I was not being serious.

Sorry, I just reflexively snap at this point because we're all being constantly gaslit 24/7.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I wonder when this will be too much to deny any more, and am faced with the grim reality that it’ll either be unutterably horrific or that there won’t BE a tipping point. Americans will just get used to this like they’ve grown accustomed to gun violence and being bankrupted for wanting medical care, and I’ll just have to survive out of my house until a vaccine becomes available. And at that point I’ll have to move.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 17, 2020

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hasturtium posted:

I wonder when this will be too much to deny any more, and am faced with the grim reality that it’ll either be unutterably horrific or that there won’t BE a tipping point. Americans will just get used to this like they’ve grown accustomed to gun violence and being bankrupted for wanting medical care, and I’ll just have to survive out of my house until a vaccine becomes available. And at that point I’ll have to move.

Just remember Canada is keeping the border closed and we are fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Genuinely ask them what they think is causing this spike in All Causes deaths above the expected baseline. I find it helps to ask with 100% genuine curiosity. That way you're not accusing them of being morons, just letting them reason things out for themselves.

You can also point out that death certificates frequently lag 1-2 months in being reported to the CDC, so that curve downward is an undercount.

Because I’d rather ask them to stop talking to me than to hear what they make up in 3 seconds. I don’t have the tolerance I used to because I’m given less and less time between stupid unbelievable poo poo said every day by the people I interact with.

I will save that link for my mom, though. I’m trying to take extra steps to not end up :sever: over her awful political/socioeconomic opinions.