Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lol that i just realized now you can zoom the camera out after tanking a ton of dungeons not being able to see poo poo with all the explosions and spell effects going off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

ASenileAnimal posted:

lol that i just realized now you can zoom the camera out after tanking a ton of dungeons not being able to see poo poo with all the explosions and spell effects going off

Yeah...the sad thing is that the game feels really good in first person, the animations are well done and the weapons look good - you just can't deal with vet level play in FPS mode though so it's non viable for anything that isn't just solo slaughter of trash mobs...

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah...the sad thing is that the game feels really good in first person, the animations are well done and the weapons look good - you just can't deal with vet level play in FPS mode though so it's non viable for anything that isn't just solo slaughter of trash mobs...

i was in 3rd person but it was still too close and i frequently ended up eating a few heavy attacks on the larger bosses trying to reel in adds while it was hard to see what was going on. kinda dreading tanking vets tbh but i want to start my monster hat collection

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I've been looking for a particular song that plays in the game, sometimes before a big cinematic boss fight. It's the one that starts with the main Elder Scrolls theme, very rumbling and hard hitting. I think it may just be a stinger that plays before the actual boss music. I can't actually remember the last time I heard it playing, but I think it plays at the final battle in most chapters. I have listened to every song on all of the released soundtracks and tracked down some of the unreleased ambient music, but I just can't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.
I've been getting back into this game. Can I get a guild invite? @Dearthort

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So I was slightly bored and created a goon guild - Cult of Ythrl on PS4 NA server.

Hit me up with an invite and say something slightly goony.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Trying this out again and would appreciate an invite for the US guild. @dsirand Thanks.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Doctor Zero posted:

So I was slightly bored and created a goon guild - Cult of Ythrl on PS4 NA server.

Hit me up with an invite and say something slightly goony.

I think this is going to be our 3rd dead Goon ESO guild

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Meh. I wanted to recreate the Cult. If people join, cool, if not, cool.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Doctor Zero posted:

Meh. I wanted to recreate the Cult. If people join, cool, if not, cool.

Send me an invite when you can — I don’t think I can easily find it in game. I can invite you to the other Goon guilds if you’d like but they’re hella dead

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

omg chael crash posted:

Send me an invite when you can — I don’t think I can easily find it in game. I can invite you to the other Goon guilds if you’d like but they’re hella dead

I tried when I formed it but it said you had to leave a guild first. Did you join 5 guilds?

e: dayum dude, what did you do to get that AV? laffo

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

scrying seems like a pretty decent way to earn gold. at least until it ends up getting nerfed in some way.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

I tried when I formed it but it said you had to leave a guild first. Did you join 5 guilds?

e: dayum dude, what did you do to get that AV? laffo

Oh yeah, I had 5 guilds. I left one — try again, please.

Some old GTAO goons got mad at me for always being grumpy. Shrug

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

ASenileAnimal posted:

scrying seems like a pretty decent way to earn gold. at least until it ends up getting nerfed in some way.

Think they fixed the Artaeum endless purps so it is less of a ridiculous profit machine. But still decent scratch with low effort.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

ASenileAnimal posted:

You can't easily chain purples - so it's not crazy money.

You can do green->blue->purple ONCE per zone via excavation.

So yeah you can make good money going to each zone and doing the free purple lead in each zone - but past that you can only farm green and blues over and over. You won't get a new purple lead from digging.

In short, you will make like 10k per zone doing your first G->B->P run but past that you will have to get purple leads from bosses chests etc

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just started playing this week and in retrospect I should have just dropped group, but I just had the most boring-rear end dungeon run of all time. Normally these things rake like 10 minutes but I swear to god none of the other 3 people were pressing buttons and it took 45. Every boss took 10 mins to basically kill by myself. Zzzzzzzzz

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

WarEternal posted:

I just started playing this week and in retrospect I should have just dropped group, but I just had the most boring-rear end dungeon run of all time. Normally these things rake like 10 minutes but I swear to god none of the other 3 people were pressing buttons and it took 45. Every boss took 10 mins to basically kill by myself. Zzzzzzzzz

This post makes me feel better about my own terrible button pressing skills

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
When something like that happens I just have to imagine they're all 10 or something and roll with it, but I really should have just left because it was such a waste of time/not fun.

Trust me you could not possibly be worse at pressing buttons.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Even if you just spam a single spamable, it should be faster than that yeeesh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WarEternal posted:

Last time I did a dungeon queue the tank blamed everyone for being slow while he did nothing but hit the taunt button and guard the entire time.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I keep forgetting how great the VA list for this crazy game is.
Holy snikes Malcom MacDowel is Molag Bal, of course he is.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Eso just came out on Stadia, so expect a lot of newbies in the starter dungeons.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I keep forgetting how great the VA list for this crazy game is.
Holy snikes Malcom MacDowel is Molag Bal, of course he is.

Wait.... what? Seriously?

E: holy poo poo Kate Beckinsale is Queen Ayrenn and Bill Nighy is King Emeric. I was pretty sure Peter Stormare was Jorunn already.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 17, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I enjoy rolling around different start zones as a CP300 character.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

WarEternal posted:

Activity_Finder.txt

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Lima posted:

Eso just came out on Stadia, so expect a lot of newbies in the starter dungeons.

You will see a zero difference in population. The platform is dead.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Last time I did a dungeon queue the tank blamed everyone for being slow while he did nothing but hit the taunt button and guard the entire time.

Lets be frank, that's better than 90% of tanks you are likely to get.

A passable DPS build will hit 15k at minimum in a normal dungeon with no buffs on a single target. Which means the expected DPS in a normal group should be around 30k with the tank and healer sucking each other off and doing nothing at all to contribute to damage.

30k group dps will still walk through any non DLC dungeon with ease - and if your group DPS ISN'T hitting 30k - it aint the tanks fault.

Yes the tank SHOULD be doing more utility abilites in terms of buffing and debuffing, interrupts etc. Still if the group DPS isn't hitting 30k at minimum - it's the DPS who are slacking.

At 160cp with working sets, you should do at least ~25k by yourself as dps. I frequently find myself doing 60-80% of the dps in the groups. End game DPS expectations are 60k+

I couldn't possibly care less what the tank is doing as long as he's actually taunting.

There is zero excuse for a CP160 DPS to do less than 15k dps or to run non set gear. You can easily hit 20k dps with crafted gear.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 17, 2020

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i recently tanked normal wayrest sewers 1 with a dps who repeatly heavy attacked the bosses with a frost staff, stood around doing nothing when he wasent taunting the boss with a frost staff, and took every oppritunity to lead like 30 trash mobs into the boss arena to wipe us out. i realized what he was doing about halfway through and made sure every single trash mob was killed by the others before we faced any boss

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

ASenileAnimal posted:

i recently tanked normal wayrest sewers 1 with a dps who repeatly heavy attacked the bosses with a frost staff, stood around doing nothing when he wasent taunting the boss with a frost staff, and took every oppritunity to lead like 30 trash mobs into the boss arena to wipe us out. i realized what he was doing about halfway through and made sure every single trash mob was killed by the others before we faced any boss

I would have just kicked him. If he's a new that's one thing, but seems like he was just being lazy and memey.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

JadaX posted:

I would have just kicked him. If he's a new that's one thing, but seems like he was just being lazy and memey.

I don't hesitate to kick DPS who is AFK or being a tool or refusing to do the required mechanics - the DPS queue is massive - you are not going to be sitting there with 3 people waiting for a DPS to show up.

Fake tanks are much harder to deal with - which is why I have a tank alt for dungeons - can't get a fake tank if you are the tank...

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Wait.... what? Seriously?

E: holy poo poo Kate Beckinsale is Queen Ayrenn and Bill Nighy is King Emeric. I was pretty sure Peter Stormare was Jorunn already.

So that would explain why Ayrenn never showed up in Summerset even though her homeland was in danger. And well...no one cares about Emeric. Casting "well known" actors is a waste of money when they are not already tied to the property via a TV show or movie. Just cast the usual stable of video game/anime/cartoon voice talent and no one would know the difference. Like Steve Blum! Drink game: Start questing in Glenumbra and take a sip of Michelob/PBR/Old Milwaukee/etc every time you hear Steve Blum's voice.

FileNotFound posted:

A passable DPS build will hit 15k at minimum in a normal dungeon with no buffs on a single target. Which means the expected DPS in a normal group should be around 30k with the tank and healer sucking each other off and doing nothing at all to contribute to damage.

At 160cp with working sets, you should do at least ~25k by yourself as dps. I frequently find myself doing 60-80% of the dps in the groups. End game DPS expectations are 60k+

There is zero excuse for a CP160 DPS to do less than 15k dps or to run non set gear. You can easily hit 20k dps with crafted gear.

:roflolmao:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

JadaX posted:

i thought he was new at first but no one trains like 30 trash mobs into a boss fight by accident mutiple times. probably should have kicked but the rest of the group was doing ok and it was amusing watching him eat a bunch of boss attacks when he overtaunted.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I mean...if your point is that the average ESO pubbie has never broken seen 5 digit DPS in their life - that's a whole separate issue.

A CP 160 character with crafted sets should hit 15k DPS on a solo target.

If they're not hitting 15k, a tank who just taunts isn't why the dungeon is moving slowly.

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

While we're on this topic, I could use some advice on getting into the dungeon scene. I have 2 Cp toons, but it's been so long since I've played that I still feel rather noobish.

I figured out that I need to be doing pledges. For now I'm doing normal dungeons, getting all the skill points that I've never picked up.

How tough is veteran's and hard-mode? At what point would I be ready for that content? Currently I'm using some crafted purple Hundig's and Night Mother's (iirc) w/ epic weapons. I'm still dieing plenty in Normal as I get used to not standing in red areas.

I also noticed there's a random queue. Is that worth doing?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Begath posted:

While we're on this topic, I could use some advice on getting into the dungeon scene. I have 2 Cp toons, but it's been so long since I've played that I still feel rather noobish.

I figured out that I need to be doing pledges. For now I'm doing normal dungeons, getting all the skill points that I've never picked up.

How tough is veteran's and hard-mode? At what point would I be ready for that content? Currently I'm using some crafted purple Hundig's and Night Mother's (iirc) w/ epic weapons. I'm still dieing plenty in Normal as I get used to not standing in red areas.

Random is good xp to do daily.

What build are you, are both hunding and NM 5 set with the correct trait, devines or whatever they should be, do you have the correct mundus for your build - are there actually enchants on all your gear and jewlery?

Vet content difficulty is all over the place.

Original dungeons on Vet tend to be pretty easy - compared to even some normal DLC dungeons.

Also - you can change the opacity and brightness of the red areas to be super bright dayglow hot pink which will make it much easier to see them.

If you're not following one of these builds:
https://alcasthq.com/eso-dungeon-and-trial-meta-builds/

You probably should. Get used to doing the rotation right, get used to weaving. Practice on a target dummy.

If you are having a really tough time weaving - there's a ahk script that will basically do it for you - but somewhat worse than you could do yourself.

You should also be able to get into dungeon gear pretty easily and get a crappy monster set.

Finally - install combat metrics and get some logs in to see what your actual numbers are. If you are not in a guild that has a proper guild hall with target dummies - get in a guild that does.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 17, 2020

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

What build are you, are both hunding and NM 5 set with the correct trait, devines or whatever they should be, do you have the correct mundus for your build - are there actually enchants on all your gear and jewlery?

If you're not following one of these builds:
https://alcasthq.com/eso-dungeon-and-trial-meta-builds/

You probably should. Get used to doing the rotation right, get used to weaving. Practice on a target dummy.

That's a fair point on build. There's not much thought to my build (2h/bow Stam DK) besides load up my target with all the Dots and stay alive w/ brawler and rally. I'll have to refine it to one of Alcast's.

I did enchant all my stuff (purple stamina enchants on armor)

I don't remember what all traits I chose. I crafted these, so the traits are probably inconsistent and not all divines.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Begath posted:

That's a fair point on build. There's not much thought to my build (2h/bow Stam DK) besides load up my target with all the Dots and stay alive w/ brawler and rally. I'll have to refine it to one of Alcast's.

I did enchant all my stuff (purple stamina enchants on armor)

I don't remember what all traits I chose. I crafted these, so the traits are probably inconsistent and not all divines.

If you care enough I can craft you a matching set, but honestly it's probably a waste.

Get the Maelstrom's Bow, it now drops from Normal so it's MUCH more attainable and is a good boost to Endless Hail which is pretty broken..

I would suggest farming up a set of Leviathan jewlery and shoving weapon damage enchants on all of it and getting a monster set asap - it doesn't have to be veildreth, pretty much anything will be free dps.

If you need someone to run Crypt of Hearts with you, my tank doesn't have all Ebon peices so I'll be happy to go.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

how much unbuffed spell damage should i be shooting for as a magplar? ive got 2100 with 80% crit rate right now. dont have a monster set yet im just running julianos and mothers sorrow

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

magplars tend to be a bit lower on single-target dps, plus that's going relatively crit heavy, so I wouldn't stress out too much if it seems a bit low

(the burn-down ray excepted, but that doesn't really count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ASenileAnimal posted:

poo poo like this is exactly why I stopped taking my tank into the Activity Finder when I still played. Sometimes you get some decent groups or at least some groups who are willing to learn and then you get groups full of idiots who run Xynode builds and call you toxic for suggesting that maybe using a frost staff as your main dps stick is a bad idea.

Begath posted:

Most dungeon Hard Modes are simply "more health, boss hit harder" types of deals. However I feel like I should point out the few actual hard modes that exist in the game
  • Banished Cells II: Kill Rilis while 3 Daedroth remain alive. Basically a check to see if your tank isn't dogshit (fun fact: I once tanked 8 daedroth for shits and giggles; a friend of mine once tanked 12 of them while also tanking the two harvester minibosses that you fight before actually fighting Rilis)
  • Spindleclutch II: Don't kill any of the victims on the totems. Doesn't even classify as a hard mode tbh.
  • Fungal Grotto II: Defeat Vila Theran without entering the Husk's aura - Basically, stay out of the big honkin bubble that the Fighter's Guild npc puts up
  • Wayrest Sewers II: Defeat 15 zombies during the fight with the Pellingares - this one is actually pretty easy to miss if you either clear the area first or tunnel vision the bosses hard. There's an alcove nearby that has like 20 zombies that a dps can pull into an AoE dump for easy completion
  • Elden Hollow II: Defeat Bogdan the Nightflame after reading the Opus of Torment - The fight adds additional shades that heal the boss. Current powercreep should allow you to ignore and burn, but less experienced groups might actually want to kill the shades.
  • Darkshade Caverns II: Defeat the Engine Guardian without using any of the poison dispersing levers - This one's a simple heal and positioning check. Stay near the healer during the poison phase (area gets a green hue) and you'll be fine.
  • Crypt of Hearts II: Have 4 wraiths alive when Nerien'eth pulls the Ebony Sword - Ok this is where things start to get interesting. This one is both a tank check and a dps check. You need to ensure that you get 4 ghost adds up before Nerieneth hits 35% health and enters his DM phase, and the tank needs to make sure they can hold all 4 without killing them, because they're moderately frail but hit like a truck (and they snare to boot). Once you obtain 4 wraiths, let the dps loose on nerieneth. When he enters his final phase, bring them near him and hold them until he completes the animation, then immediately have the DPS do an AoE dump to kill them and play out the rest of the encounter.
  • City of Ash II: Defeat Valkyn Skoria after reading the Frigid Tome - This one's a straight up DPS check. Reading the tome on the far edge of the arena reduces the number of safe platforms to 3 (2 outer platforms and the middle platform). An optimized group can easily 1-phase it but most groups should shoot for a 2 phase clear (meaning he destroys one platform only).
  • Scalecaller Peak - This one's a pretty fun hard mode because it incorporates mechanics from all of the dungeon's previous boss fights. In non-veteran mode, you simply need to be inside Spellbreaker's AoE to avoid the area-wide poison cones. In Hard Mode, only one person can use the shield. The remaining party members have to decide which of the other three mechanics they will use to avoid taking damage, which are the ice tremors from the ogre fight, the stone gaze mechanic from the gargoyle fight, or the corrupted fountain mechanic from the matriarch fight. The way you get the ice tremor and the corrupted fountain are by killing the frost atronach and corrupted lamia that spawn in on hard mode. They reset after every poison phase so you'll have to kill them again afterwards.
  • Fang Lair - Quite possibly the most chaotic hard mode (it took Dandy, Dori, Floob, and I about 8 hours over 4 days to nail down this one). Basically, the bone colossi hit harder, have more health, and immediately spawn during Thurvokun's final phase. In addition to that, the insta kill ghost walls become completely random after Orryn possesses Thurvokun.
  • Falkreath Hold - Removes two pillars from the arena that you can hide behind to avoid Domihaus' instakill shout. Also summons more adds as his health gets lower
  • Bloodroot Forge - Removes the blood magic fountains used to dispel the Earthgore Amalgam's rage mechanic. Tank and positioning check. Burn as quickly as you can and move around the outside of the arena to minimize the amount of time spent dodging rocks and lava pools.

I don't have info for anything from Wolfhunter/Scalebreaker/Harrowstorm/Wrathstone because we mostly stopped caring about PvE at that point and were simply using whatever time we allotted for PvP shenanigans.

As an aside, while making this list I started remembering the fun times the dungeon crew used to have while slamming out dungeons so as a personal list of the best dungeons in the game:
  • Scalecaller Peak
  • Fang Lair
  • Frostvault
  • Depths of Malatar
  • Crypt of Hearts II
  • City of Ash II

Most of these had really good mechanics, were hard but rewarding, and were overall immensely fun and gave a sense of achievement when we either completed them, or got the rewards for doing the ultra achievements for them (Scalecaller and Fang Lair have the best cosmetic rewards).