Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Sorry, by city I meant they would want to move to Sydney or Melbourne upon arrival to your city.

If you give me six months I could organize 50 million people to take you up on your offer from West Africa willing to get themselves to convenient ports such as Dakar, Conakry, Freetown, Lome, Abidjan and Lagos.

I'm reasonably good friends with a Bangladeshi radio personality so maybe I could hook you up with a few 10's of millions from there even quicker although I don't have contacts on the ports or on the ground at all really so logistics would be starting from much further back.

Let me know and I will kick it into gear.

This makes little to no sense.

Oh and I may have also advocated for:

Federal takeover of all Waste Management

Limit the power of lobbyists by eliminating political advertising, and just giving all candidates from all parties a chance to explain and debate their platforms. Like an all parties televised debate weekend, everyone gets a page or two in the paper, and a 10 minute spot on the ABC or whatever. If they did that in America it would literally solve almost all of their problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Micallef has been defanged imo. Mad as hell sucks. Go watch newstopia, there is no comparison

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

hambeet posted:

Omg bell jar you’re the best

Damnit, I keep thinking I should do something to make your avatars different but I lack inspiration. Of course now I just want to make one of them horizontally flipped, or played backward to change the direction of stirring, even though that wouldn't actually help me, but :effort:

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Encourage cycling by easing helmet laws

I understand, I don't want my hair to get messed up, but I also don't want brain damage, so I should probably log off think helmets are probably good, what's the big deal?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

I understand, I don't want my hair to get messed up, but I also don't want brain damage, so I should probably log off think helmets are probably good, what's the big deal?

It's been shown to significantly lower cycling participation rates, especially in bike share programs. Helmets are good, stopping people from riding by threatening them with a fine for not wearing them is bad.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Buttcoin purse posted:

Helmet laws are used by the cops as an excuse to harrass aboriginal people and folks low on the socioeconomic spectrum.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

No, it was actually implemented back then on the advice of medical experts.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I have to say I'm really enjoying the agility of the free market childcare sector trying to get my 7 month old in somewhere. What an utter shitshow.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

It's been shown to significantly lower cycling participation rates, especially in bike share programs. Helmets are good, stopping people from riding by threatening them with a fine for not wearing them is bad.
Please refer back to when Hobo Erotica tried to get this argument to fly. It has not "been shown". Cycling participation rates were in serious decline before compulsory helmet laws were enacted. They continued to decline afterwards too. Thanks for playing (again). Have to assume that you aren't arguing in good faith so don't bother to reply.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Yeah wow I've just started to notice that picking up too

"We should be very grateful it was England that settled here, not Indonesia. Just take a look at what's happened in West Papua."

"Good thing it wasn't the Dutch" followed by "Or the JAPANESE...!!!!"

I use a domestic violence metaphor sometimes -
Dad says "You should be glad I beat you each night instead of Mum, because she uses her nails, and they leave scars. I only leave bruises that heal." The kids grow up traumatised either way, but everyone outside of the family says "Thank god their dad was there to protect them, I heard mum was loving insane."

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

It's been shown to significantly lower cycling participation rates, especially in bike share programs.

Oh yeah, I don't want to use the helmet that is sitting on the ground next to the rental scooter.

Could you make the area around the bike path padded instead? :v:

froglet posted:

Helmet laws are used by the cops as an excuse to harrass aboriginal people and folks low on the socioeconomic spectrum.

That sucks. I imagine that without helmet laws the cops would just come up with some other excuse to harass them, but they might be more flimsy excuses that are easier to defeat in court?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

Please refer back to when Hobo Erotica tried to get this argument to fly. It has not "been shown". Cycling participation rates were in serious decline before compulsory helmet laws were enacted. They continued to decline afterwards too. Thanks for playing (again). Have to assume that you aren't arguing in good faith so don't bother to reply.

BF has been participating well. Be nice

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Purk posted:

Senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells is calling for tariffs on China and wants considerations towards seizing state assets over the coronavirus pandemic. Over the reparation plan, the port of Darwin could be seized and resold, along with Australia stopping payment on chinese-owned debt.

This is well thought out and would end well.

That is brain meltingly dumb. Are these idiots intentionally trying to annihilate our relations with China?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

BF has been participating well. Be nice
OK have a nice article about it then:

https://theconversation.com/why-arent-more-kids-cycling-to-school-3531

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Helmets don't mean poo poo, let's be honest here it is all about city designs being hostile to riding a bike. Nobody would need helmets if dedicated bike lanes and poo poo were made so mashing bikes into oncoming traffic was rare rather than the daily reality.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Robodog posted:

Helmets don't mean poo poo, let's be honest here it is all about city designs being hostile to riding a bike. Nobody would need helmets if dedicated bike lanes and poo poo were made so mashing bikes into oncoming traffic was rare rather than the daily reality.

What about people who stack it and fall off onto the concrete?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

teacup posted:

Other good comedians

Micallef (obvs)
Kitty flannagan
Nina oyama

Tell me why they are all terrible now :(

Frankie Boyle
Kevin Bridges
Sara Pascoe

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The katering show is the peak of Australian comedy

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

The katering show is the peak of Australian comedy
I see your Katering/Get Crackin' and raise you a Juice Media.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gridlocked posted:

You see, a helmet won't save your life if a 4WD swerves into your lane and grinds you to a paste, therefore they are pointless and may as well never be worn.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

92% of cyclist deaths involved cars. Falling off your bike without a car involved, doesn't generally kill you. Anecdotally, having fallen off my bike a bunch of times the only time I've hit my head (and broken my helmet) was when I got hit by a car.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Remember when someone had a relatively major breakdown as part of exiting a intensely abusive relationship, and Cartoon was like "haha your wife is probably right?" I do.

Remember when Clean Up Australia Day came up and Cartoon tried to call the recently deceased Ian Kiernan a criminal tax dodger or something with literally no evidence other than saying he saw a front page as a kid with a sail boat on it? I do.

If people need a helmet to use a bike share, it is logistically challenging to have a clean one there. BYO has its own problems. It is literally a barrier to entry, and was one of the main reasons that the bike sharing program being trialled at the time in NSW (like 10 years ago or whatever) failed to take off. I did not say it was the only barrier. It is just one that can easily and simply be removed with zero investment in infrastructure.

Posting an article about children riding to school, that doesn't even mention helmet laws, and considering that to be an actual argument, says it all really.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
You say:

hooman posted:

92% of cyclist deaths involved cars. Falling off your bike without a car involved, doesn't generally kill you. Anecdotally, having fallen off my bike a bunch of times the only time I've hit my head (and broken my helmet) was when I got hit by a car.

I hear: “I want bicycle deaths to go up by 8%”

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

teacup posted:

You say:

removing the helmet laws doesn't mean no one wears helmets.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

article doesn't talk about workforce participation or before and after school care. i'd assume both have changed significantly since the 70's to now.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I would be behind helmets mandatory for under 17s, and then wear it or don't if you're 17 and over.

If you're old enough to learn to drive a ton of metal around streets, you're old enough to know whether you're willing to risk going without a helmet or not.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i agree with my point there about an age limit.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the article also touches on australian car culture and accountability. that's something the removal or permanent welding on of helmets is never going to change

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

You say:

I'm pro-helmets and always wear one.

I don't think there should be fines for it though. Maybe a mandatory 2 hour course or something.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

i used to ride my bike around brisbane all the time without a helmet. I got pulled up by the cops once who i think were clocking whether i stole it (expensive looking italian pista+i am brown and look like a ratbag) cause they asked where i was travelling to and from etc and didnt even give me a warning about the helmet. this is my story

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

m-m-m-mega howard

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hooman posted:

I'm pro-helmets and always wear one.

I don't think there should be fines for it though. Maybe a mandatory 2 hour course or something.

nah just

give people who don't have helmets....a helmet

(if they've already been given one then maybe a 1 hour course or pamphlet, idk, but mandatory implies a punishment for not going)

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Gridlocked posted:

It's not such a big deal when you have high cycling participation rates, proper separated cycling infrastructure, and a culture that emphasises commuting around urban areas at moderate speeds on upright bicycles.

Bikes are a great way to get around urban areas and we should do everything possible to encourage it and make it easier for people.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

big automobile won't allow it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What's weird is when we insist on calling it systemic racism, but then hold individuals personally accountable, while ignoring the conditioning which is supposedly so powerful. He's just a dude who's grown up in a racist industry in a racist country trying to get by.

Righting systemic racism still involves calling out and resolving individual cases. This sounds like you want to use it as an excuse for individual cases, when it's a potential cause of a stupid comment, not an excuse.

That's the issue with systemic racism in the police force, it's called out, cops get no punishment and roll on because the entire system is racist. Doesn't mean you shouldn't sack (or jail, in the case of cops) the individual racist.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

big automobile won't allow it

So let's remove their influence on politics by eliminating political advertising! Ta da.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Righting systemic racism still involves calling out and resolving individual cases. This sounds like you want to use it as an excuse for individual cases, when it's a potential cause of a stupid comment, not an excuse.

That's the issue with systemic racism in the police force, it's called out, cops get no punishment and roll on because the entire system is racist. Doesn't mean you shouldn't sack (or jail, in the case of cops) the individual racist.

Absolutely, sorry if I was unclear, he definitely should have been called out. Accountability is the key, for police and comedians alike. I'm saying that after he's acknowledged it and apologised and promised to do better, the punishment has served its purpose, and piling on further is potentially counter-productive.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Amethyst posted:

(Reporter doing vox pops on the street) Hello sir, what if the cheese packet had an image of the goat man spreading his rear end in a top hat open? I mean the full goatse pic, ball sack hanging down and eveyrthing. What would happen then, sir?

This reminds me of the current Army ad that's on tv. Keep an eye out for it. Someone who made it was clearly in the know. The ring's on the correct finger and everything

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Absolutely, sorry if I was unclear, he definitely should have been called out. Accountability is the key, for police and comedians alike. I'm saying that after he's acknowledged it and apologised and promised to do better, the punishment has served its purpose, and piling on further is potentially counter-productive.

:hfive:

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Shouldn't have been a minority riding so close to a Police Officer.

Utopia is the thread's comedy MO

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I'm sure Andrew's is in a mild panic over this, nothing like two premiers getting into a pretend fight to distract everyone from the flaming mess in the corner (Marshall in SA has a backbench revolt over public transport cuts, which isn't quite a flaming mess to the scale of losing multiple ministers, but i'm sure he'd rather answer questions about that meanie victorian than service cuts.)

I swear at least a quarter of news stories are bullshit to distract people from things that people would rather not have to talk about, yet the media (and certainly twitter) fall for it hook line and sinker every single time. Cancelling paw patrol instead of systemic racism, arson instead of climate change...

edit: Ten bucks they settle this with a whose sports team loses has to wear the others jersey

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The Before Times posted:

nah just

give people who don't have helmets....a helmet

(if they've already been given one then maybe a 1 hour course or pamphlet, idk, but mandatory implies a punishment for not going)

The fact that this idea is such a mind-exploding novelty is interesting in itself