Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That's a beast of a smoker. Did you get the optional reverse flow plate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

No reverse flow on this one but I wasn’t hugely sure what if use it for. Weighs about 200kg and should be arriving in the next couple of days.
Just figuring out the first cook and only got brisket and turkey legs in mind so far.
It seems a lot harder to find good rubs and stuff over here in England unfortunately. Anyone recommend any uk suppliers of stuff?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So has this happened to anyone else before? I put the brisket on at 5:40am and comes 8:30 it's already at 155 degrees. I'm not used to hitting the stall so quickly. I guess I won't wrap then as I'd planned so it won't have to sit in the cooler too long before dinner.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

No reverse flow on this one but I wasn’t hugely sure what if use it for. Weighs about 200kg and should be arriving in the next couple of days.
Just figuring out the first cook and only got brisket and turkey legs in mind so far.
It seems a lot harder to find good rubs and stuff over here in England unfortunately. Anyone recommend any uk suppliers of stuff?

Well reverse flow is for when your oversmoke something and need to unsmoke it a bit

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bape Culture posted:

I'd just make your own. I would start with this for beef and this for pork and then go where you want from there. The rubs you buy are just gonna be herbs and spices on their own anyways, plus making them yourself you can control when the salt goes on.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well reverse flow is for when your oversmoke something and need to unsmoke it a bit

Make sure to save the extra smoke. It’s really handy to have for when you need it later.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

What crazy new smoker did you get?

You want to do a brine with pink salt if you want the “American” experience. Then smoke at 225 until done (I cheat and refer to virtual Weber bullet website for times and temps for basic things).

If you don’t do pink salt rub with salt and baking powder for awesome maillard at low temps.

Can you elaborate on pink salt / baking soda helping with the maillard reaction? I tried googling this and got a bunch of scientific articles, and then some forum about how you're supposed to use "cure #1" powder on turkey before smoking.

Has anybody here used insta-cure? I assume you meant himalayan pink salt and not a bag of salt made pink due to the addition of "Red #3"?
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pink-salt-in-turkey-brine.270714/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine.110799/

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Carillon posted:

So has this happened to anyone else before? I put the brisket on at 5:40am and comes 8:30 it's already at 155 degrees. I'm not used to hitting the stall so quickly. I guess I won't wrap then as I'd planned so it won't have to sit in the cooler too long before dinner.

I always end up hitting the stall extremely fast and thinking "drat this is going to be done a lot quicker than I thought" but then being wrong because, no, the stall always exists and it always takes a long rear end time.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

I always end up hitting the stall extremely fast and thinking "drat this is going to be done a lot quicker than I thought" but then being wrong because, no, the stall always exists and it always takes a long rear end time.

Haha thanks that context does help, I just want this ready dinnerish time and not like 2pm you know. Do you usually crutch?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't, but mostly because when I smoke briskets it's to make pastrami and I really want crispy bark. The other stuff I usually smoke doesn't really need it, because I'm usually making fish or beef ribs.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Tomfoolery posted:

Can you elaborate on pink salt / baking soda helping with the maillard reaction? I tried googling this and got a bunch of scientific articles, and then some forum about how you're supposed to use "cure #1" powder on turkey before smoking.

Has anybody here used insta-cure? I assume you meant himalayan pink salt and not a bag of salt made pink due to the addition of "Red #3"?
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pink-salt-in-turkey-brine.270714/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine.110799/

Himalayan pink salt is just regular salt that you pay more for it's "unique" colour - it does nothing special.

"Pink Salt" is actually sodium nitrite (aka curing salts, insta-cure, cure #1/3, etc), which is used in curing meats - think bacon, pastrami, etc. It's pink because of the additional colour added to it because it's technically poisonous, so it's meant to differentiate it from normal salt. Basically your meat becomes pink after the curing process and then you smoke it.

Usually the curing process is days long (look at the process for making bacon), but people have used it in bbq competitions to "cure" the outside edge of meat which looks and tastes like the classic "smoke ring" you see in pics - hence why smoke ring isn't a category any more to be judged on.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Carillon posted:

Check the spot you probed. You may not be deep enough. Either way, yeah I’ve had that happen. I don’t crutch unless time is a factor.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

unknown posted:

Usually the curing process is days long (look at the process for making bacon), but people have used it in bbq competitions to "cure" the outside edge of meat which looks and tastes like the classic "smoke ring" you see in pics - hence why smoke ring isn't a category any more to be judged on.

Or you can just cook it in a smoker that uses actual combustion and you’ll get a smoke ring without any need to gently caress around with sodium nitrite. The only real reason to use pink salt is if you’re using an electric smoker, which doesn’t generate the right combustion products to create a smoke ring naturally.

Since the goon asking the question has an offset there’s no reason to bring pink salt into it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Since I posted about it, here's the brisket I did the other day. Turned out amazing!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Electric. No smoke ring. At some point aren’t you just oven cooking outdoors?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Does your oven also generate smoke by burning woodchips? Because if so, that's pretty impressive actually and I may look at upgrading mine.

I'd also love to see your analysis on a smoke ring's impact on flavor.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Does your oven also generate smoke by burning woodchips? Because if so, that's pretty impressive actually and I may look at upgrading mine.

I'd also love to see your analysis on a smoke ring's impact on flavor.

Yes, all you have to do is put a tray of chips on the coil and it's an electric smoker now.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Great idea, can you video this for us

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bob A Feet posted:

Check the spot you probed. You may not be deep enough. Either way, yeah I’ve had that happen. I don’t crutch unless time is a factor.

Thanks, I had opened it up briefly and used my instant read thermometer to make sure it wasn't a spot issue, but it confirmed the reading. It's just hitting 172 now though so still have a way to go and I'm glad I didn't panic too much about it.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Carillon posted:

I'd just make your own. I would start with this for beef and this for pork and then go where you want from there. The rubs you buy are just gonna be herbs and spices on their own anyways, plus making them yourself you can control when the salt goes on.

I’ve used that pork one and it was spot on.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Weber kettle. Pecan wood. Not sure why a smoke ring didn't develop, but it still tasted great. It's only the second brisket I've done and the first had a great ring :shrug:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Ah that was just a general comment about what kalman said, not directed at anyone specifically.

My last beef attempt with applewood didn’t get much of a ring either, though I was struggling to keep the temp under 240 even with all the vents closed so maybe that was a factor. So much so that I did some remedial ‘persuasion’ on the side door to make it a closer fit for next time.

But if it tastes good it is good. The pastrami appearance I got the other time was nice too though :(

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I threw a pork shoulder in my sous vide last night and let it run about 10 hours. I removed it from the sous vide, applied rub and moved it to my Louisiana Grills pellet grill for a nice long smoke. I left the house for a while and things took longer than expected, so I planned to arrive home to dried out pork. When I got home we noticed from the driveway that there was a woodsmoke smell. The driveway is pretty far from the grill. I go to the back yard and immediately notice the attached cold smoker box is open somehow and smoke is rolling out of the pellet hopper. A lot of the pellets inside the hopper are embers. I threw a wet towel over the hopper to suffocate the fire. The control panel is completely unresponsive, the paint is peeling off the hopper and the paint on the main part of the grill has turned a lighter color. The temp gauge on the lid is actually brown on the inside now. My guess as to what happened is a similar situation to the Traeger explosion video we saw a few pages back, I just wasn’t there to witness it. I’m not sure how else the smoker box door would blow open. As a final kick in the balls, the meat was completely charred beyond recognition. I had it set on 225 when I left so it shouldn’t have been this bad. I wonder if the fan died, or if the pellets created a cavity that allowed heat and flame to travel back into the hopper? Who knows, it is hosed now.

I still have my Brinkmann charcoal grill and my MES, which have both served me reliably for many years. I’m done with pellet smokers. I may start searching for a kamado.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen a few people mention having to cut a brisket for it to fit in their smoker.

I have an 18.5" wsm and have been able to fit whole briskets easily without cutting.

Just wedge the brisket between the handles of the grate.

If it's a massive brisket or your smoker doesn't have anything to wedge the brisket between you can also buy a 1 or 2 quart stainless bowl at a restaurant supply place.

Put the bowl upside down on the grate and drape the brisket across it. After a few hours the brisket will shrink down and you can pull the bowl out.

Used to use the bowl everytime but my bowls ended up in storage so I have been handle wedging everything lately.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah I’ve done 10lb packers on the 14.5” by wedging it between the handles. Within a few hours it fits after it shrinks from loss of water.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Well thanks again for the tips a few months ago guys, only had one disaster so far with a spatchcocked chicken (tried to do the VWB "hot and fast" method, the wood caught fire and temperature flared up to the point where it got scorched, should've checked under the hood as the temps kept spiking up past 400). Ribs are pretty dialed in at this point, here's a pic from the last batch:

The cutting is sloppy as I was hammered by the time these came off, but the bark and smoke ring were nearly perfect. I do love the WSM, but temp control can be challenging sometimes as I live on a peninsula and it can get super windy.

Just thew down on a Fireboard so looking forward to trying it out this weekend. They were all sold out of the fans but kind of broke for the rest of the month anyway. Really should've jumped into this hobby years ago, fun as hell plus it meshes great with the social distancing hangs we've been doing in the backyard lately. Just been batch cooking sausages lately and vaccum sealing for work, it's awesome and saves a ton of money.

e: \/ might as well have lol

talktapes fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 16, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Did you cut those ribs with a weedeater?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Brisket I was so worried about came out great! One of the best I've done so far I think, it was tender and still decently juicy. I still have to try injecting to see if that can help.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Bought a bag of Kingsford regular (blue bag) briquettes last weekend and am lighting a chimney full of it now. Did they change the composition of these again? They smell so much worse when lighting up vs the last bag of Kingsford I bought not 3 weeks ago. Truly noxious poo poo, I don't think I'll be buying this again. Back to Weber or Royal Oak briquettes, at least those smell like wood. What the gently caress Kingsford.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going camping this weekend and I'm looking for ideas of what to grill/smoke. I'm gonna do beans, possibly smoked chili. What else that's no explicitly a brick of meat does well with a kiss of smoke?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Bought a bag of Kingsford regular (blue bag) briquettes last weekend and am lighting a chimney full of it now. Did they change the composition of these again? They smell so much worse when lighting up vs the last bag of Kingsford I bought not 3 weeks ago. Truly noxious poo poo, I don't think I'll be buying this again. Back to Weber or Royal Oak briquettes, at least those smell like wood. What the gently caress Kingsford.

This is all I buy and I've never had an issue :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

um excuse me posted:

I'm going camping this weekend and I'm looking for ideas of what to grill/smoke. I'm gonna do beans, possibly smoked chili. What else that's no explicitly a brick of meat does well with a kiss of smoke?

Fish

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

um excuse me posted:

Spam? Pineapple? Boiled Eggs?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Thai curry.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm loving these ideas. I've never even tried spam. I'm open to the idea, though.

The problem with camping is that everyone wants hotdogs and hamburgers, but then the excess of meat eating every meal gives everyone, uh, digestive issues.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mac & cheese?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Squash of all kinds, tomatoes, potatoes, onions. You can grill, fire roast or smoke all kinds of poo poo. The best answer is obviously corn, though. Make elotes or succotash.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Take your big pot of beans and throw in some sliced brats, onions and peppers.

Also, fish is right

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Corn bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Squash of all kinds, tomatoes, potatoes, onions. You can grill, fire roast or smoke all kinds of poo poo. The best answer is obviously corn, though. Make elotes or succotash.

Grilled pineapple loving owns, obviously corn, grill some avocado (pitted but still in skin), grilled eggplant (brine, then pat dry and grill) is delicious, grill some asparagus or green beans (you want to get them to the point where they’re starting to char all over), blistered shishito peppers, etc.

Also, bring a cast iron pan and you can do eggs with whatever you want, make some toast, do grilled sweet corn kernels cut from the cob and squash sliced thin and then briefly heated in an agrodolce (vinegar/sugar mix) til it reduces/glazes and is delicious, etc.