Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
A $99 price cut Oooh lala!

Anyway, same energy

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The more I look at properties, the more I wish there was some kind of public forum you could comment on each listing, or at the very least make inspection reports available to the public. I know that'd be the absolute worst thing for sellers and probably why nothing like that exists, but it would be nice to poo poo on places and have local buyers concur with me. Much like we do here.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Bi-la kaifa posted:

The more I look at properties, the more I wish there was some kind of public forum you could comment on each listing, or at the very least make inspection reports available to the public. I know that'd be the absolute worst thing for sellers and probably why nothing like that exists, but it would be nice to poo poo on places and have local buyers concur with me. Much like we do here.
Counterpoint: do you want somewhere that Karens will poo poo up for any and all reasons?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Depends on the state. Some need two-party consent and some don't.

wrong even in a one party consent state this is illegal.

To simplify things.. there's 3 parties (maybe just 2) in the conversation
party 1: Home buyer(s)
party 2: Home Inspector
Party 3: Real estate agent.

In a one party state one of those 3 people has to be a "party to the conversation" and consent to recording

In this case the 4th party (Seller / Sellers agent whomever) recorded them without their knowledge. This 4th person was NOT part of the conversation.

my state is 1 party.. I can covertly record a conversation between me and someone else because I"m a party to the conversation. I cannot leave a tape recorder under a chair where my 2 friends are sitting and walk away and record them talking poo poo to me.

IANAL.. and also not a lawyer

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Hoodwinker posted:

Counterpoint: do you want somewhere that Karens will poo poo up for any and all reasons?

Probably not. I imagine that its transformation into a cesspool would be very short and it would benefit no one. I just crave solidarity with strangers on the internet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Probably not. I imagine that its transformation into a cesspool would be very short and it would benefit no one. I just crave solidarity with strangers on the internet.

social media ruins everything it touches, and if you social media-ized real estate listings, it'd do the same. I'm glad I don't have to read racist comments about the minority sellers of a particular house, or racist comments about that neighborhood, etc. on Redfin or Zillow.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

In a one party state one of those 3 people has to be a "party to the conversation" and consent to recording

Ah right you are I forgot the whole party part.

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Why stop at homes, why not rate people? Oh wait, because it's hosed up and no one likes stuff like that:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/251284

"ah yes let's all rank our exes Romantic rating so it's permanently indexed on Google"

It's like that fuckin' Black Mirror episode.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Shitbag site Redfin kinda does a similar thing where their agents are allowed to post comments about a house that are publicly available for all potential buyers to see. Most I've seen are somewhat negative, and include very subjective and misleading 'downsides' like they did to my neighbor when they were selling.

How much do you want to bet that if Redfin was on the selling side of that transaction those public comments would be glowing.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Bi-la kaifa posted:

It's not in anybody's interest to make inspection reports public. 90% of the poo poo on any inspection report is fluff used to justify the fact that you paid $450 for a guy to look around the house. That isn't to say inspections aren't important. They provide valuable information, but they need to be viewed through a particular lens.

B-Nasty posted:

Shitbag site Redfin kinda does a similar thing where their agents are allowed to post comments about a house that are publicly available for all potential buyers to see. Most I've seen are somewhat negative, and include very subjective and misleading 'downsides' like they did to my neighbor when they were selling.

How much do you want to bet that if Redfin was on the selling side of that transaction those public comments would be glowing.

Show me on the doll where Redfin touched you.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I'm in a fairly rural area so if a place is on the market forever the realtors use all sorts of methods to keep it from popping back up as "listed", "relisted". This ranges from changing the address, not including the full address, creating a new address, all the way to making up roads that don't even exist. One realtor raises the price of rural parcels then drops it by 50% and just cycles back and forth. I'm not sure they're aware people can see the price history. Our realtors tend to know a lemon when they see it as the house load is small enough that they tend to see a majority of what's for sale.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Grover Real Estate :grovertoot:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sirotan posted:

Grover Real Estate :grovertoot:

Was about to say

Andy Dufresne posted:

Show me on the doll where Redfin touched you.

Yeah I dunno about "shitbag site". They're by far the least bad MLS search site. I actually have ways I can search for a multifamily with X bathrooms, or see the listed rental income of each unit, and their payment calculator correctly grabs the local property tax and lets you customize the PITI calculations. I bought my last two places by searching them up on that site. I've never actually used their brokers or anything though.

There used to be a site I liked more called territoryre.com but they vanished.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Bi-la kaifa posted:

In two weeks there would be companies offering SEO type help and bots to prop up prices.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
After doing my final walkthrough on the new place today, I signed the "yeah, it still looks good" paper. The seller's agent then gave me a business card with an address written on it. It was apparently the seller's new mailing address "so I can send them the thank you card after the sale is finished." The agent said that like it was the most normal thing in the world.

On what planet do I send a thank you card to the sellers after already giving them $700,000 for the place? Is that normal? :wtc:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
absolutely crazy, what kind of schmuck wouldn’t send a fruit basket, or at least some candy?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I wish my prior owners gave me their new address so I could go drop off all the big bulky poo poo they left here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sundae posted:

After doing my final walkthrough on the new place today, I signed the "yeah, it still looks good" paper. The seller's agent then gave me a business card with an address written on it. It was apparently the seller's new mailing address "so I can send them the thank you card after the sale is finished." The agent said that like it was the most normal thing in the world.

On what planet do I send a thank you card to the sellers after already giving them $700,000 for the place? Is that normal? :wtc:

the important part there was the business card, not the excuse she made for giving it to you. She wants you to sell your house with her.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

the important part there was the business card, not the excuse she made for giving it to you. She wants you to sell your house with her.

a real estate agent's kid rear ended my car in a parking lot and he gave me his business card lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Turns out ad supported, free social media for all was a loving terrible idea

Quasi-gated and well moderated forums with a financial impact for being an asshat seems to be a valid strategy. Sadly other than this forum and probably a handful of ultra premium dating websites (reaching for a second example) this hasn't occurred on a wide scale

So far I've not had to deal with nextdoor, but apparently that's where you meet other neighbors in my socioeconomic whatever + find non-murderous babysitters so not looking forward to that

When I was in high school I had an idea for a website where you could publicly list all your grievances against people you dated before, I think somebody else actually did something like this and it did not turn out well

TL;DR home internet is a pox upon society, Frank Herbert was on to something when he dreamt up the Butler Jihad

The world does not need an API to query where all the neighborhood family pets have been buried in the last 20 years

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I think I agree with you all. The last thing I would want out of something like that is an avenue for prejudice and higher prices. I forgot how much of a special bubble SA can be. I think I'm going nuts looking at all these listings and trying to find an edge, like there's some secret behind each property that the seller doesn't want you know. I suppose that's just risk.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I think I agree with you all. The last thing I would want out of something like that is an avenue for prejudice and higher prices. I forgot how much of a special bubble SA can be. I think I'm going nuts looking at all these listings and trying to find an edge, like there's some secret behind each property that the seller doesn't want you know. I suppose that's just risk.
Having sold a house recently, there's not just one secret. The buyer's inspector didn't detect the water issues in the basement, the termite damage, or the 150' tree that had died over the winter 30' northeast of the house.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
hey guys it's the previous owner, let's stomp his rear end

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Tunicate posted:

a real estate agent's kid rear ended my car in a parking lot and he gave me his business card lol

He figured that if his kid nailed you behind he would be able to really butfuck you in a transaction.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. :v:

In other news, I close on the place tomorrow. gently caress yeah.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sundae posted:

https://www.poopsenders.com

Because:

Democratic Pirate posted:

I wish my prior owners gave me their new address so I could go drop off all the big bulky poo poo they left here.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Sundae posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. :v:

In other news, I close on the place tomorrow. gently caress yeah.

Condolences.

Did you end up adding contingencies to your offer? There was a period in time where you couldn't offer a contingency on anything, but I heard that has dropped with condos/townhomes (and even some SFHs).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Condolences.

Did you end up adding contingencies to your offer? There was a period in time where you couldn't offer a contingency on anything, but I heard that has dropped with condos/townhomes (and even some SFHs).

I put in contingencies on loan approval and on appraisal (these two were non-negotiable to me - they go in or I don't bid). I was willing to waive inspection contingency because the seller had an offer fall through four weeks before I placed mine, and so I was able to get a recent inspection report anyway. If not for that, I'd have insisted on inspection contingency also. In my offer, I told the sellers that if they agreed to accept my offer by the end of the day, I'd have earnest money in escrow by end of following day. That was a little sweetener on their end (they needed the sale b/c they'd purchased a house and were relying on the sale of the condo to sort out the house purchase, so I think they were in a panic because of that), and also kept me from having to deal with other offers. The sellers accepted all my conditions, gave me a response within a few hours, and the total time from offer-to-close is going to be 21 days.

Another same-size condo in the complex went into contract this week for $75K more than I paid. Sometimes, you get lucky and things just work out. :3:

quote:

They left a few things on the walls I wish they hadn't (who the gently caress takes their TV but doesn't take the wall-mount?), but they made up for it by leaving all the magnetic child-proofing on the cabinets and several gallons of matching paint in the garage.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 17, 2020

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You’re not supposed to take the wall mount. Something about it being attached to the house, so it conveys unless specified in the contract.

I left all my wall mounts when I sold my last house.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’ve been looking at buying for several years, but have been waiting because I’ve got well under-market rent and living in southern California the housing market is generally nuts. I figured might as well keep saving and wait for “the inevitable downturn” as there’s no pressing need to buy asap.

But the more I watch all the insanity of our present reality, the more I wonder if there’s simply not going to be a downturn in the markets I’m aiming for (ie somewhat costal SoCal <$1M). The US government appears willing to do anything to protect wealth for the rich, and this cohort just keeps shoveling their wealth into a handful of assets, real estate chief among them.

Even with the devastating economic dominoes we all expect to fall in the coming months, it feels like that could decimate cheaper housing markets while “prime” areas like coastal SoCal remain high because white collar tech people aren’t over-leveraged, aren’t getting hit hard, and already have been fleeing into real estate for years.

I still have time to wait and see what happens (SO and I need to figure out whether we’re going to commit to SD or LA career wise). But I feel less confident than ever that housing prices will cool or even stall out any time soon.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

You’re not supposed to take the wall mount. Something about it being attached to the house, so it conveys unless specified in the contract.

Interesting! I never would've considered that part of the house. Learned something new today.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bawfuls posted:

I’ve been looking at buying for several years, but have been waiting because I’ve got well under-market rent and living in southern California the housing market is generally nuts. I figured might as well keep saving and wait for “the inevitable downturn” as there’s no pressing need to buy asap.

But the more I watch all the insanity of our present reality, the more I wonder if there’s simply not going to be a downturn in the markets I’m aiming for (ie somewhat costal SoCal <$1M). The US government appears willing to do anything to protect wealth for the rich, and this cohort just keeps shoveling their wealth into a handful of assets, real estate chief among them.

Even with the devastating economic dominoes we all expect to fall in the coming months, it feels like that could decimate cheaper housing markets while “prime” areas like coastal SoCal remain high because white collar tech people aren’t over-leveraged, aren’t getting hit hard, and already have been fleeing into real estate for years.

I still have time to wait and see what happens (SO and I need to figure out whether we’re going to commit to SD or LA career wise). But I feel less confident than ever that housing prices will cool or even stall out any time soon.

I am going to be repetitive and say that trying to time the market is a fools errand when it comes to your primary residence and moving away from renting. Homes are unlike many goods that lose value in a recession. Your sellers have options besides selling and because homes store value. In some recessions prices drop, in others they don't. Unless you have a big financial crisis where desperate financial institutions face significant budgetary constraints that makes them willing to offload foreclosed properties for a deep discount, or a long term decline because of real economic shifts in a region, what happens in recessions is that on one hand supply dries up as sellers who can wait know it is a temporary bump they can wait out and on the other hand institutional investors with access to cheaper capital buy the deep discounted properties. The 08 crisis bottomed out 4 years later. The dot.com boom crisis did not see a decline in home prices.

Maybe prices will bottom out in 3 months. Maybe they will bottom out in a year. Maybe in 5 years. Or maybe not at all. You will only know for sure after the bottom has passed, and in the meantime you've been paying rent.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Can I take copper wiring out of the house when I move?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ruggan posted:

Can I take copper wiring out of the house when I move?

"Seller advises that property will be sold AS IS AS SCRAP."

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Michigan is a one-party consent state but this was a third-party doing the remote listening/watching, if the realtor inspector also didn't know it was going on, it's a felony. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(thjs4p4l5d45ue4f2ksw0a24))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-539c

No its not a crime. The conversations are not "private" and the statute doesn't apply. You have no legal expectation of privacy when your are inspecting someone else's home.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ruggan posted:

Not sure what’s so confusing then. I’m using it to refer to always preferring the options with the least risk.
Refi'ing to a 15 year note isn't "fully risk averse". It can be quite risky if your house is a large percentage of your assets. It can also be part of a balanced portfolio if your house makes up a small portion of your assets and the payment is a small percentage of your budget.

Borrowing extra money to go balls-to-the-walls on equities is a risky position. It's the right move in some cases, like for a two-income high-earner family in a low cost of living area. But to make a blanket statement that people who refi to a 15-year note are "fully risk averse" is asinine.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 17, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
this is a super dumb argument because Residency Evil isn't going to be cash shy ever. Another thread laughed at me for suggesting he buy a nice last years model car for his wife and children instead of a new lexus. someone suggested he buy a jaguar suv instead.

dude and his wife (?) are a surgeon power couple or something.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Paul MaudDib posted:

this is a super dumb argument because Residency Evil isn't going to be cash shy ever. Another thread laughed at me for suggesting he buy a nice last years model car for his wife and children instead of a new lexus. someone suggested he buy a jaguar suv instead.

Only someone who is fully risk-averse would buy last year's model.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dik Hz posted:

Refi'ing to a 15 year note isn't "fully risk averse". It can be quite risky if your house is a large percentage of your assets. It can also be part of a balanced portfolio if your house makes up a small portion of your assets and the payment is a small percentage of your budget.

Borrowing extra money to go balls-to-the-walls on equities is a risky position. It's the right move in some cases, like for a two-income high-earner family in a low cost of living area. But to make a blanket statement that people who refi to a 15-year note are "fully risk averse" is asinine.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ooof, I was hoping you guys had forgotten about me/stopped talking about my refi question. I've never heard us referred to that way (surgeon power couple). With respect to 15 versus 30 years mortgages, I don't want to get too detailed with our monthly finances, but we live in a fairly HCOL area. Our house is between 1-2x our gross income. I fully realize that a 30 year mortgage would allow me to use more money to invest, but we're already maxing out all of our tax advantaged space and putting more money away in to taxable accounts. I'm afraid that if we had a 30 year mortgage we wouldn't have the discipline to actually invest that money, and would instead blow it on candles or something. I realize it's not completely min/maxing out our financial life to the fullest, but I'll say that having a healthy emergency fund during this entire COVID situation has helped me sleep better at night, especially since some of our medical friends who are more reliant on elective procedures have taken very large paycuts over the past few months.

And I think we're going to end up buying a 4Runner!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Residency Evil posted:

Ooof, I was hoping you guys had forgotten about me/stopped talking about my refi question. I've never heard us referred to that way (surgeon power couple). With respect to 15 versus 30 years mortgages, I don't want to get too detailed with our monthly finances, but we live in a fairly HCOL area. Our house is between 1-2x our gross income. I fully realize that a 30 year mortgage would allow me to use more money to invest, but we're already maxing out all of our tax advantaged space and putting more money away in to taxable accounts. I'm afraid that if we had a 30 year mortgage we wouldn't have the discipline to actually invest that money, and would instead blow it on candles or something. I realize it's not completely min/maxing out our financial life to the fullest, but I'll say that having a healthy emergency fund during this entire COVID situation has helped me sleep better at night, especially since some of our medical friends who are more reliant on elective procedures have taken very large paycuts over the past few months.

And I think we're going to end up buying a 4Runner!

I mean... if you can afford to max your tax advantaged space and sock more money away besides... and still buy cars in cash... you're doing OK ;)

Not judging you, just a bit jealous.

Don't overcommit yourself, but obviously it sounds like you're wary of that yourself. It's better to sock it away in mortgage equity than a new high-value car, or just random junk. I don't have any particular advice but it sounds like you're thinking along the proper lines, better than most of us, or some of your peers ;)

I shifted money and started holding a pretty significant safety fund since like january and it's been a massive relaxation of stress to know that I have a bit of cushion, even at my own financial scale. Refi ended up being 15% lower monthly payment for me.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

skipdogg posted:

What counts as a "fixture" is hugely variable to interpretation. Stuff like a chandelier is easy. So is a TV for the opposite reason. A wall mount I can see going both ways, because I can undo it from the wall in about five minutes with a screwdriver. But it's also not intended to get up and move (then again, neither is a refrigerator and that's chattel.) Of course in practice you're gonna argue over the stuff that is thousands of dollars and not over the piddly things like a $50 wall mount.