Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

that’s a low blow

They are swedish nerds, the swedish government just print lies about cannabis so not really surprised. But the - 2 learning is like really stupid, I guess they think weed smokers are dumb.
Is beer/alcohol gonna give a +2 melee or +10 fertility or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zombiepop posted:

They are swedish nerds, the swedish government just print lies about cannabis so not really surprised. But the - 2 learning is like really stupid, I guess they think weed smokers are dumb.

Actually, drunkard gives -2 stewardship and -2 combat prowess plus a tiny health penalty. So it arguably has slightly worse in-game effects, but yea still it seems weed is a bit misrepresented :v: actually I'd probably switch the learning/combat prowess effects since you're not going to fight well when high as a kite on weed, and it's hard to learn things when you're roaring drunk...

So I'm bored at work and reading the dev diary Paradox forum thread (woe on me), and I do want to relieve stress by smoking fat blunts everyday and petting my cat in 1066 so I hope we can at least have some choice in our coping mechanisms and pets, I still never got a pet in CK2 besides the hunting dog :(

Also people are very hung up about "having to roleplay" their decisions basing them on character traits rather than whatever they think would be right because of stress, I mean isn't that half the game anyway? Or was I playing it wrong all the time and should've min-maxed to do a world conquest like EU4?

quote:

This is what I am concerned with. If I am playing as a homosexual character, of which I do not have a choice in the matter as the game is currently designed, will I be punished for not doing homosexual things in certain events by gaining stress?
[...]
Yes obviously. If you're going to put homosexuality in the game, that's fine. But punishing a player for not having their character not perform homosexual acts is another thing altogether. It forces me down a gameplay path that I would rather not go. I want to build a medieval dynasty, not engage in someone's sexual pleasure fantasy.
:qqsay:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

TorakFade posted:

I want to build a medieval dynasty, not engage in someone's sexual pleasure fantasy.

Filthy casuals.

I'm really glad that I'll have to deal with what my character wants. In CK2 you had a type of perfect character and that would be a charismatic conqueror. Poets and nerds have their uses but it all comes back to their ability to expand and defend their realm. You don't look at a poet pacifist as what he is, for you, the player, he's a bad warrior with some redeeming qualities who will mostly do the same stuff as a warrior king but would be worse at it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

This guy absolutely plays pagan and kidnaps women with the attractive trait (or have portraits he finds hot) to make his concubines. Or consistently takes the seduction focus.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Zombiepop posted:

Tbf the trait simulates a person who's grown dependent on weed, not a casual weed smoker.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Vichan posted:

Tbf the trait simulates a person who's grown dependent on weed, not a casual weed smoker.

Yes and its a game so I dont really care, but - 2 combat and intrigue would be better IMO. In my experience loads of people learn poo poo on weed, talk about big subjects etc.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Only through smoking weed can you become enlightened enough to learn about Swedish government conspiracy on discrediting cannabis and brainwashing sheeple.

Anyway, there are also gameplay balance concerns. Like Rakish has harsh penalties but can be somewhat beneficial to some characters. Drunkard can help you make friends. Comfort eating doesn't seem to have that many negatives but I imagine it has a lot of negative events and potential for health issues. Hashishyah actually looks like a better version of drunkard which is probably balanced by lack of beneficial events. Maybe it's also culture-locked, your Viking lord can probably only drink.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Actually, drunkard gives -2 stewardship and -2 combat prowess plus a tiny health penalty. So it arguably has slightly worse in-game effects, but yea still it seems weed is a bit misrepresented :v: actually I'd probably switch the learning/combat prowess effects since you're not going to fight well when high as a kite on weed, and it's hard to learn things when you're roaring drunk...

The blunts you got in 850 AD were probably super lovely and they probably threw in a bunch of stuff in there that actually made you stupid to balance the 4 humours

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Only through smoking weed can you become enlightened enough to learn about Swedish government conspiracy on discrediting cannabis and brainwashing sheeple.

Dont be a dick. This is not the place but lol government conspiracy, sweden sends people with rehabilition needs to get rehab at scientology centers... When it comes to drugs sweden is very dumb and conservative.

Is opium in the game?

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 17, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
gettin mad about weed in the ck2 thread

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

luxury handset posted:

My immersion my dude. My immersion.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

luxury handset posted:

The only thing dumber than people attacking weed is people defending weed as if stinger culture isn’t the cringiest poo poo ever. “People learn big things on weed!” No they don’t they watch dumb movies and eat kfc, and that’s totally cool

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

teacup posted:

The only thing dumber than people attacking weed is people defending weed as if stinger culture isn’t the cringiest poo poo ever. “People learn big things on weed!” No they don’t they watch dumb movies and eat kfc, and that’s totally cool

Yeah dont make up quotes to make a point. People have different experiences of things? Thats just life. Can we please leave this derail now? Some of us discussed a part of the upcoming game, some of you should idk maybe toke one and chill?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
thinking back to the time in my life when i got high 24/7 and was convinced i could explain the fourth dimension and time travel to people

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
drat who would have guessed the sexual conduct discussion would be usurped by a weed discussion of all things

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I've never really thought about it, but how available would cannabis have been in the middle ages? Obviously, the middle east had it, but was it traded much beyond there? Did any of the crusaders pick up a weed habit? Would you have been able to pick up a few joints in Venice or Genoa?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Cannabis is used in textiles, like making ropes. It would be widely available. Not sure many people cared about its recreational use.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
hashish is not smoked in CK3, only eaten. now that's #history

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

I've never really thought about it, but how available would cannabis have been in the middle ages? Obviously, the middle east had it, but was it traded much beyond there? Did any of the crusaders pick up a weed habit? Would you have been able to pick up a few joints in Venice or Genoa?

hemp the plant was a somewhat important crop in medieval europe because it could be processed as a ready source of fiber to make textiles with, and hemp seeds/buds were a common enough ingredient in food. hemp wasn't cultivated for THC content though so its use as a narcotic was basically unknown since the kinds of hemp commonly grown wouldn't get you even a little high. hemp became a lot more common in the early modern period (after the CK games timespan) because help is way more useful in shipbuilding than as a terrestrial fabric. cannabis use as a subset of hemp production spread differently from the various cultivars, as turning hemp into marijuana (basically just breeding hemp to make sticky buds) was a more cultural practice which spread from south asia. so it would have been exotic and obscure for northern europeans and probably not too well known in the mediterranian, hence the association of hashish with the arab world (who was in contact with the indian ocean trade and thus, south asia)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I cannot wait until my flagellant ruler accidentally kills themselves because they had one too many pervy thoughts and tried to drive them out too hard.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

fuf posted:

drat who would have guessed the sexual conduct discussion would be usurped by a weed discussion of all things

weed is a much bigger deal than sex to goons, in this i feel like goons have the right of things

megane
Jun 20, 2008

need a 'forums poster' trait that increases stress gain but gives you +2 learning because you learn important facts about video games

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

megane posted:

need a 'forums poster' trait that increases stress gain but gives you +2 learning because you learn important facts about video games

You have to spent 10 gold to get it though, and the +2 learning also comes with -2 learning.

Also anything you build will have load-bearing drywall.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

luxury handset posted:

Its not being mad, its simply having a +10 Opinion of Hashishiyah characters. :colbert: I wonder if that modifier is strong enough for NPCs stoners to naturally gravitate to the same courts over time.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

wit posted:

Its not being mad, its simply having a +10 Opinion of Hashishiyah characters. :colbert: I wonder if that modifier is strong enough for NPCs stoners to naturally gravitate to the same courts over time.

If you get enough characters with the trait, you gain access to a decision to try and hotbox the whole castle.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Also people are very hung up about "having to roleplay" their decisions basing them on character traits rather than whatever they think would be right because of stress, I mean isn't that half the game anyway? Or was I playing it wrong all the time and should've min-maxed to do a world conquest like EU4?

:qqsay:

It's also funny because, judging by the dev diary, it sounds like they're making it something that can be worked around pretty easily. They went through pretty great lengths to explain why stress isn't a big deal and how it can be managed while still doing what you want.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-32-going-medieval-on-audio.1401422/

New dev diary on sound design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_xXohZvPQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31nXYMItkZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjzg7w4Jl9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJBOzlKnpps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZYea8RteyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qD7cNrWZwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN0noufpL6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N9_hxy26Ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJc3qvqgfj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfTDcrTouzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEbxR9zTBuQ

Really liking these changes to a more subdued approach.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New music from Andreas is always one of my favorite things about new Paradox games. I’m sure I’ve listened to more of his compositions than anything in all of games if you add up all the hours in and out of game. All of this sounds great.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm sorry but if the death notification isn't jarring enough to make me jump out of my chair, it's not a proper Crusader Kings game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The game gives you option to turn off death sounds in options.

But it does nothing.

It's just there to make next AAAAAARGH!!! as unexpected as it was first time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As long as we can keep using the Medieval Astronomia mod all is good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ilitarist posted:

The game gives you option to turn off death sounds in options.

But it does nothing.

It's just there to make next AAAAAARGH!!! as unexpected as it was first time.

Why would you deprive yourself of the cacophony (and possible game crash) when you execute your entire dungeon using the 20 odd different methods you have accumulated over a few centuries of raiding and building of special upgrades?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Just wait for the option that allows you to not release prisoners not only after humiliation and torture but also after execution.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Errors: 2479

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hope that if you agree to join an ally's war but don't actually send any troops, the war music gradually dwindles while you just do your normal thing.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Talking about executions, I hope they add more events in for specfic events like executions, weddings, and funerals. These big events provide tons of oppotunities for drama, but in CK2 they often happen without you even noticing.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ruler deaths should have some chance of throwing the realm into an immediate civil war. It's happened numerous times in actual history.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Talking about executions, I hope they add more events in for specfic events like executions, weddings, and funerals. These big events provide tons of oppotunities for drama, but in CK2 they often happen without you even noticing.

I'm finishing up Rabelais (set a little after when CK2 ends) and I guess it used to be a thing where you would hit someone at a wedding so that they'd remember the lady getting married isn't single anymore (along with the start of a new month, other things that someone needed to remember).

In the book they pretend there's a wedding in order to beat someone up and have everyone else stealthily put on gauntlets before the hitting begins. Maybe a mod could incorporate a comical fistfight at every wedding? Just plug in the Grand Tournament "x was maimed!" "y was killed!" script.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

Ruler deaths should have some chance of throwing the realm into an immediate civil war. It's happened numerous times in actual history.

This is kind of what happens anyway given how the council immediately becomes discontent on a succession so now all the powerful vassals are allowed to join factions, and also hate the new ruler because of the short reign penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

megane posted:

The hard thing is that CK doesn't really care about your rulers location, but it would be neat, if insanely complicated, to implement. Like maybe if you have a powerful scheming advisor on your character's death they take over the castle and kill everyone on it, but if you landed your heir, well they'd survive because they were in their own duchy and could bring troops to bring them to order.