Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

3xp for +3, draw a card. Only good if you build to recur it.

Also -1 cost and able to use on other investigators. It's a pretty crazy upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

+3 that you only need to commit after you know that it will guarantee success...

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

And the 3XP isn't much of a problem since Survivor is the class that needs XP the least, though with some of the new options appearing in the starter that might change.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think power creep is inevitable if you’re expanding the game because every card could potentially, with every previous card and its color, and with adaptable or teamwork it gets wild very quickly. You can create a eucatastrophe infant series with resourceful and Silas or a Mandy deck that cycles pendant of the queen for literally every check.

I am most always see survivors in solo so something that helps other investigators is a nice change.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 16, 2020

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Golden Bee posted:

3xp for +3, draw a card. Only good if you build to recur it.

It's great for dark horse pete

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
We ran the first scenario of The Forgotten Age with Ursula, Finn, and Calvin and, uh, people weren't kidding about this one being a bit on the punishing side, were they? Does it relent after the first few scenarios or should we start planning our next investigators early?

Nobody brought a blanket, which turns out to be a bit of a problem.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Forgotten Age really is rough, but I did find that after you get to about the midpoint it calms down quite a bit. I remember having much less trouble with the second half, but I'm unsure if that's because it was easier or because our investigators were built up by then.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You do get to heal mental trauma later in the campaign, at the cost of experience. And yes, it’s kind of frontloaded in terms of difficulty, but mind blank is especially useful as a spell… Because it gets rid of revenge keywords on enemies!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

tribute to my second-least-favorite basic weakness (the worst one is the one that you draw 5 times and insta-die).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

We made Preston lead investigator in TCU specifically because one of us had to take that card. With me as Diana, I think we only drew it once or twice😛. Funny enough, I had a mob enforcer, also a one action to clear out weakness.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Glad to hear TFA lets up a bit - or at least evens out. I think part of the shock of the first scenario (besides the interlude) was Finn being absolutely hammered by Willpower tests he had no chance of passing. We played the second scenario last night, and between some upgrades and incredible good luck it went rather smoothly.

Hadn't realized Mind Wipe would affect Vengeance - and I guess Victory as well? I guess it's nice to finally have something for that spell to do.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Doesn’t get rid of traits, which are things like monster, Miskatonic, or humanoid.

It DOES get rid of Hunter, aloof, retaliate and alert!

Which can be extremely useful since they can target an enemy at any location. That can include Wizards that gain doom at the end of the mythos phase.
Funnily enough, mind blowing three reduce peoples horror, makes interrogating them easier. “Now that you Have amnesia, tell me everything you know.”

And since it only lasts a phase, you can get rid of retaliate for investigator, then have something attack you In the enemy phase… And kill it with the survival knife or sk(2), sending its victory points to the pile.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am the world's most ardent TFA hater but the "not quite as bad as everyone dies" ending to the last scenario is one of my favorite victories, and the one (I think) two before the end where (seriously go into this blind if you haven't played all of TFA yet) everyone turns into a loving Yithian is probably my favorite gimmicky scenario.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Couple more cards.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Lonnie is what Tony is looking for. Three additional horror with the ability to heal it? And putting the leather coat on is not an inconvenience since it’s fast.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Just played my first couple games of this, and it's pretty fun. I got to the 3rd scenario of Zealot solo and was feeling pretty good when I just hit a streak of bad luck and failed 6 combat checks in a row and then got totally destroyed by a bad -5 on a "take 1 horror for each point you fail by" check followed by a -1 sanity that I couldn't even prevent. Looking forward to trying again and experimenting with deck building a bit, since the premade Roland deck it recommends you start with kind of sucked with basically zero ways to heal yourself if anything did horror damage.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, the premade decks are designed to make you learn how to deckbuild yourself.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Golden Bee posted:

Raven just feels like a weird caveat. “If you have your Alley slot free, take an action and take a horror to get a clue.” Unless the raven can do damage to itself?

It can't, but it has the flexibility of being a horror soak if you need it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A few more. I think we've already seen the XP versions of Robes and Writings but they're in this video if you missed them :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuAb85bBLY

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Forbidden Tome might be the most amount of hoops to jump through for the most mediocre effect ever

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

MikeCrotch posted:

Forbidden Tome might be the most amount of hoops to jump through for the most mediocre effect ever

I was all prepared to jump in to defend it,but you made me re-read the card and notice that it was 'for every 4 cards in your hand' and not 'for every card past 4 in your hand' which makes it absolutely terrible yeah.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

MikeCrotch posted:

Sure can't disagree there's a bunch of hoops, but the thing about Forbidden Tome is that it's testless, while also dirt cheap and unlimited (no charges), which is a great ace to hold up one's sleeve. Made extra neat by the fact that if you're running it your team has probably already went for making GBS threads up the chaos bag with tokens for other boons.

Now this exact variant of Forbidden Tome is admittedly way lamer than the autoclue one - which is understandable, given it's damage in Seekers - and is probably only worth running as a combo piece with one of those allies that like getting hurt repeatedly. But if you do, it's not that hard to get your value out of it. Think of a humble beat cop, or tag teaming with Mark Harrigan for some decent efficiency.

As for the four arrows cluase, it's also not nearly as bad as it looks. Assuming that the intended baseline for this card is sitting on a full hand of 8 cards (which honestly isn't that outrageous of an ask, given every single seeker and their mother runs Higher Education) you stay on par in terms of action efficiency (2 arrows = move + investigate = fight + pop an action on a healing asset), with your bonus being the ability to make things testless unlimited number of times. If you also happen to go for the megahand gimmick, extending your hand size up to 12 cards, you get some serious efficiency there.

Like, if you do it's gamebreakingly ridiculous. 1 resource for up to 4 testless clues and up to 4 moves per turn, unlimited number of times? Up to 8 testless damage a turn if you tag along with beat cop, while keeping him pristine? Or, alternatively, making GBS threads all over treachery damage forever while keeping the seeker (the supposedly combat vulnerable class) pretty much self-sufficient with up to 4 testless damage per turn? poo poo, you don't even need to care about a damage source, just eat an attack of opportunity doing seeker things every once in a while, since you have an infinite number of heals that also advance the board state when you use them.

Just think for a second how ridiculous would that be without said hoops. Like, if it really was 'for every 4 cards in your hand' like Cthulhu Dreams suggested. This poo poo would eat Key of Ys for breakfast.

And the kicker? You can further cheat on its action efficiency if you run it in Diana. Especially the PnP one.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
So if you play Harvey Walters, play out his asset that gets you +2 handsize, then play Laboratory Assistant for another +2 handsize, you get to 12: handsize, then draw a billion cards and these tomes switch on.

Does not seem worth.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Note that the damage/heal provokes attacks of opportunity, so it's only free if the enemy is aloof or engaged with another investigator.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
No, they switch on at drawing the 8th card and no further investment.

If you combo up to 12 cards they turn super saiyan and go from a tool to bypass the most troublesome tests to game-trivializing win conditions.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
But the Tome exhausts, so it's not going to give you any crazy power turns unless there's a way to ready it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Some of you guys haven't played a seeker with dream enhancing serum holding most of their deck in their hand or in play as assets while they cycle through their super thin deck playing multiple deductions and quick thinkings every turn and it shows.

Having 12+ cards in your hand already leads to super powerful builds. Don't put this card into a deck it isn't built for.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Daisy can sort of get around the heavy action cost but it still seems more like a card designed to finish off enemies that the group's monster killer couldn't.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Healing and damage combined into a single action? That’s Mark’s signature card and he only has one.

It has its utility for killing annoying or aloof enemies or healing your guardians. But yeah it’s not an auto pick if you’re running a small deck like Minh.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

Some of you guys haven't played a seeker with dream enhancing serum holding most of their deck in their hand or in play as assets while they cycle through their super thin deck playing multiple deductions and quick thinkings every turn and it shows.

Having 12+ cards in your hand already leads to super powerful builds. Don't put this card into a deck it isn't built for.

This must be the missing piece of the puzzle I was almost going to ask about when you commented a while ago about Mandy + Three Aces being busted. I remember playing it in a deck with her and thinking it was worth it (I generally saved it for a key narrative test I had no chance of otherwise passing) but I wasn't able to recur it efficiently. A hand-size deck makes sense though.

Also re: Mandy, Pendant of the Queen might as well be her signature card; it's a perfect fit, and playing it twice per scenario without effort (more times in your deck?) enables some crazy turns.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Kalko posted:

This must be the missing piece of the puzzle I was almost going to ask about when you commented a while ago about Mandy + Three Aces being busted. I remember playing it in a deck with her and thinking it was worth it (I generally saved it for a key narrative test I had no chance of otherwise passing) but I wasn't able to recur it efficiently. A hand-size deck makes sense though.

Also re: Mandy, Pendant of the Queen might as well be her signature card; it's a perfect fit, and playing it twice per scenario without effort (more times in your deck?) enables some crazy turns.

Yep! With Astounding Discovery counting as three cards and the Dream Serum you can keep up to 17 cards in your hand, 21 with a Laboratory Assistant (not that you need that many cards in hand). Pendant of the Queen + 2 hand items, 1 ally slot, and two spell slots is another 8 cards that aren't being reshuffled. It doesn't even take much xp to get operational. It's a bit slower with Taboo, since you'll be wanting to spend xp on a double or nothing for infinite action economy.

edit: Having a new tool that lets her heal and deal with aloof enemies is pretty cool. I'm excited to see how it works with a less busted setup and a different investigator.

Harvey Walters can get a hand size of 14 with a Laboratory Assistant, Arcane Enlightenment, and Vault of Knowledge. With a few assets it should be pretty easy for him to thin his deck enough to use Deduction and Perception nearly every turn with Practice Makes Perfect from the mid-game onward due to the amount of card draw he has. He might even feel a bit less broken than Mandy while doing it. At least one Dream Serum is still probably better than Arcane Enlightenment, I'm not sure. The card draw it gives is surprisingly nice when you can reliably trigger it every round, with Mandy I'd actually play two.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 23, 2020

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You better pass those willpower checks, because every campaign attacks your hand size and the best defenses are in Mystic.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The latest spoilers :

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Oof, I really like the upgraded Backstab. The upgraded/Survivor Unexpected Courage is really cool, too, and... unexpected. :v:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, they showed Manual Dexterity XP2 early on as a Rogue card and I never realized until now that UC was the Survivor card for that cycle.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A few more :

Love that Overpower upgrade.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s practiced, which means Joe diamond can use it with practice makes perfect. Which is good, he doesn’t have a lot of level two guardian cards to really go after.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Really liking the upgrades of the basic cards like Overpower.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Latest starter deck spoiler :

Seems pretty good!

And some Return to the Forgotten Age spoilers :

I like this a lot more than the original campaign cycle since it has the opportunity for counterplay in the form of floating resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Preston ignores it and laughs