Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Not looking too great in Beijing atm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53074076?ocid=wsnews.chat-apps.in-app-msg.whatsapp.trial.link1_.auin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nah.

The lockdown is strict, and that’s good.

The infection numbers themselves are like any medium American city’s.

California had seven counties post confirmed infection numbers above one hundred on Tuesday. In Florida, there were eight counties above that number. Those are for one day, and none of these places have contact tracing nearly as thorough as China’s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Guy pulled mask off my face at store, I instinctively punched him in the throat. (self.legaladvicecanada)

quote:

I was grocery shopping this morning when a guy came up to me and started going off about the flu or something, I couldn't understand him very well, and then pulled my mask off. I instinctively punched him, which because of his height I got him in the throat and he fell down. I yelled at him not to grab stuff off of people's faces even if there wasn't a pandemic. Then I calmed down for a second and realized I assaulted someone and panicked and grabbed my mask and left the store, which in hindsight may have been a very bad idea.

What do I do from here? There were security cameras so if he wants to press charges I can imagine they'll find me especially since I used to work there, but wouldn't he be in trouble for pulling my mask off? Would it be self defence?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Hasturtium posted:

I wonder when this will be too much to deny any more, and am faced with the grim reality that it’ll either be unutterably horrific or that there won’t BE a tipping point. Americans will just get used to this like they’ve grown accustomed to gun violence and being bankrupted for wanting medical care, and I’ll just have to survive out of my house until a vaccine becomes available. And at that point I’ll have to move.

When every.person in the entire country has lost 1 friend or family member to this virus. It has to hit real close to home for everyone for them to accept an invisible danger is real. Humanity is hosed.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Platystemon posted:

Guy pulled mask off my face at store, I instinctively punched him in the throat. (self.legaladvicecanada)

The guy assaulted them first and they punch him back. As long they weren't wailing on him pretty sure they are in the clear.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Can you fly to America yet? I can't find any updated info about it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Nah.

The lockdown is strict, and that’s good.

The infection numbers themselves are like any medium American city’s.

California had seven counties post confirmed infection numbers above one hundred on Tuesday. In Florida, there were eight counties above that number. Those are for one day, and none of these places have contact tracing nearly as thorough as China’s.

Yeah Beijing has something like 10-20x the population and 1/10th of the daily case rate of most American cities and American leaders are literally saying that we aren't even considering a new lockdown.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lol, still looking 100 times better than in the US

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fartbox posted:

To my knowledge, there haven't been any changes lately. You can still fly to the US from most countries, and if you're a US resident or a family member of one then there's basically no travel restriction.

But just lol at considering flying to america right now

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fartbox posted:

I got an email from the state department yesterday:

quote:

Visa services are still suspended. The travel restrictions from Schengen countries to the United States under Presidential Proclamation 9984 still apply. Individuals who meet one of the categorial exemptions under the PP 9984 (i.e. spouse of U.S. citizen/LPR, parent of U.S. citizen/LPR child, etc.) need to apply for a B1/B2 visa in order to document that they meet the exemption. If you are planning to travel to the U.S., please visit the CDC's Website for Travelers.

So if you're not coming from China, Iran or Europe then maybe? I have a nephew who's studying in the states and we talked to someone in the Border Patrol on the phone and they said they didn't even know if he'd be allowed back in if he came home over his summer holidays. So it seems like nobody really knows anything about when all this might change.

edited formatting and added links that weren't pasted on my phone

found out that the state department forces two spaces after a period using

code:

we're doomed

greazeball fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 17, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Where are all of the "oh God what will happen when it hits the slums of <poor country>" posters, now that we've figured out that it's actually also the USA who is loving everything up and they don't have to look elsewhere?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

You should get that sentence tattooed on your forehead.

Literally everything that you wrote in the post previous to this one was factually wrong btw; throughout April and May the country suffered an average of 30-50% more deaths than usual despite being locked down, per the CDC. That excess has been trending downward thanks to New York getting its case number under control; how do you think we'll be faring by July now that every state has decided that the pandemic is over?
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

I don't know why you thought I was talking about the US or some poo poo when the post I responded to was about global deaths. Yeah, the US loving sucks big surprise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

redreader posted:

Where are all of the "oh God what will happen when it hits the slums of <poor country>" posters, now that we've figured out that it's actually also the USA who is loving everything up and they don't have to look elsewhere?

Everyone is loving aghast at the lovely decisions that the US has made and are frantic with worry about how badly the US people are about to be hosed over. But the US leaders actively decided to sacrifice tens of thousands of people to minimize the corporations' stock losses.

The poor countries didn't get that choice.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Just wanna point out how loving stupid it is for anyone to celebrate birth by walking into death. No birthday parties.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bleusilences posted:

The guy assaulted them first and they punch him back. As long they weren't wailing on him pretty sure they are in the clear.

That redditor is a hero

or it's a faaaake

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Draw inspiration from Buzz Aldrin in these challenging times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-Pc0cz-9o&t=49s

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

redreader posted:

We were talking about the USA actually. You’re a slum nation

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nurge posted:

I don't know why you thought I was talking about the US or some poo poo when the post I responded to was about global deaths. Yeah, the US loving sucks big surprise.

The US is just one example, any country that experienced a large outbreak has experienced a significant increase in excess deaths over a normal year. "It looks worse than it is" is a reality-denying narrative

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

QuarkJets posted:

The US is just one example, any country that experienced a large outbreak has experienced a significant increase in excess deaths over a normal year. "It looks worse than it is" is a reality-denying narrative

It's not worth it to engage with these arguments. He is historically full of Bad Opinions according to his rap sheet.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

You didn't even read my post yet figured it'd be ok to answer with this? I never said there weren't more than normal deaths. I said that other transmissible disease rates have gone down because of the restrictions.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hopper posted:

When every.person in the entire country has lost 1 friend or family member to this virus. It has to hit real close to home for everyone for them to accept an invisible danger is real. Humanity is hosed.

There’s already people posting that someone close died and “well, that’s life, it was probably something else, the doctors just said it might be Covid, we have to continue living and going out and they were weak anyway etc”

Politizicing health issues, maybe not a great idea

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1272958447986839554
https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1272962778207313921

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Doesn't help that meatpackers in the USA are largely poor and often undocumented workers who can't afford to take a day off work, let alone get healthcare, lest they end up in a concentration camp.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tipps posted:

Doesn't help that meatpackers in the USA are largely poor and often undocumented workers who can't afford to take a day off work, let alone get healthcare, lest they end up in a concentration camp.
Yes, they are the most vulnerable. Plus a lot of these plants are in tiny towns where they are the only real work. I have seen that happen with awful private prisons too, the kind that pay guards minimum wage

communistnkinky69
Jun 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

You should get that sentence tattooed on your forehead.

Literally everything that you wrote in the post previous to this one was factually wrong btw; throughout April and May the country suffered an average of 30-50% more deaths than usual despite being locked down, per the CDC. That excess has been trending downward thanks to New York getting its case number under control; how do you think we'll be faring by July now that every state has decided that the pandemic is over?
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Not sure which one of us is reading the charts wrong, but that says a high of 39% excess in one week in April, followed by 37,32 and 28. With May being even lower at 22-15.

Still big numbers, but not 30-50% from April-May. Quite literally 15-39% in April-May.

We shouldn't stop protesting. Most people I am with haven't even gotten more than a cough or a runny nose in the weeks we have been out and about.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

hellotoothpaste posted:

Just wanna point out how loving stupid it is for anyone to celebrate birth by walking into death. No birthday parties.

Yeah, just had a zoom birthday party for my dad last night. It sucked, but less than getting corona

Fartbox posted:

Why the hell would you want to come here right now?

https://twitter.com/RobbinSimmons7/...ingawful.com%2F

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 17, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, just had a zoom birthday party for my dad last night. It sucked, but less than getting corona

Why the hell would you want to come here right now?

https://twitter.com/RobbinSimmons7/...ingawful.com%2F

Are...they proud of a 50% infection rate? Why wouldn't that follow with "and we've closed said airport for safety"

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
i want to go home one day... one day...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Turns out Desantis can't read a teleprompter

https://mobile.twitter.com/MCO/status/1273273033252392961

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
remember when we all said "how the gently caress is fake wrestling an essential service??"

quote:

In another sign that professional – and collegiate, while we're at it –
sports are resuming too quickly, a WWE performer who is part of their developmental talent roster has tested positive for COVID-19. The test results led the company to suspend scheduled tapings Tuesday at the WWE's Orlando Performance Center, while WWE wrestlers and developmental talent, and all production employees, get tested.

quote:

Alarmingly, this news broke right around the same time that WWE issued an edict banning face masks at tapings for wrestlers and production staff, according to veteran wrestling journalist and insider Dave Meltzer, telling employees that, if you want to wear a mask, just stay at home. Wrestling reporter Bryan Alvarez confirmed this news on Twitter.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/06/16/wwe-suspends-orlando-tapings-after-wrestler-tests-positive-for-covid-19

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Why would they ban masks? Some of the best wrasstlers wore masks

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Why would they ban masks? Some of the best wrasstlers wore masks

Isn't McMahon buddy buddy with Trump? Wearing masks means that Covid-19 is a real thing, which goes against his narrative.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So in the far future when (if) the president starts admitting things are getting worse again he's going to blame it all on China... again. Since they have a few new cases now, anything that happens here will be a direct result from GYNA.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, if I have antibodies, Ill share with all you homies.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So in the far future when (if) the president starts admitting things are getting worse again he's going to blame it all on China... again. Since they have a few new cases now, anything that happens here will be a direct result from GYNA.

He'll blame it on antifa and designate the group as enemies of the state, authorizing the extrajudicial murder of any non-chud protester.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WWE is poo poo anyways. AEW is the new hotness. Dunno if their testing procedures are better, but heres insight into what they're doing https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/cody-aew-coronavirus-test-measures/

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

WWE is poo poo anyways. AEW is the new hotness

AEW just has some of their jobbers/agents be the crowd for their live shows. it's worked fantastically well

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

boar guy posted:

AEW just has some of their jobbers/agents be the crowd for their live shows. it's worked fantastically well

It's great because sometimes the heel wrestlers typically poo poo on the crowd. Chris Jericho calling people by name and trashing them is great stuff.

WWE however has this weird way of making the show work. When all this started and they got the greenlight to operate in Jacksonville, employees in the stands had to duck and hide when the camera would show up in their direction, and all the wrestlers that had a promo to shoot had to pretend a full crowd is there, right down to then pausing for a crowd pop

AEW is embracing the reality of how surreal all this poo poo is, and WWE are just straight denying it.

I'm sure there's an allegory in there somewhere.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The most mindboggling thing to me is that Beijing, with 137 cases, is responding by locking down.

My home state Texas is seeing thousands per day, and pretending everything is fine.

I don't loving understand anymore. I hate all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

AEW is embracing the reality of how surreal all this poo poo is, and WWE are just straight denying it.

if we get more matches like the stadium stampede covid may well have been worth it