Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
When you buy the house that you’re going to buy because we all know you’ve already made your mind up about it, make sure you have an insurance policy in effect before you start your “home improvements” that way when you burn your house down you won’t lose all the money

Honestly it’s a shame you don’t have the RV anymore, it’s a great back up home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Thumbtacks posted:

When you buy the house that you’re going to buy because we all know you’ve already made your mind up about it, make sure you have an insurance policy in effect before you start your “home improvements” that way when you burn your house down you won’t lose all the money

Honestly it’s a shame you don’t have the RV anymore, it’s a great back up home

I'm sorry you have no DIY skills when I do?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
KG, please reread these two posts again and respond to them. They are Good Posts and you have avoided them:

Haifisch posted:

Wasting my time being semi-nice, but:

How would renting prevent any of that? You know you don't have to move every X years even if a rental gives you the flexibility to do so, right? And "community" is what you make of it - there's a shitload of people in houses who are only vaguely aware of who their neighbors are or what's going on in the wider community. Buying a house doesn't mean your life will suddenly snap into the 2.5 Kids, A Dog, And A White Picket Fence image society has tied to one.

You realize rent is your maximum cost per month, while mortgage+insurance+property taxes+HOA(if applicable) are minimum costs, right? Having an expensive repair pop up while you don't have the savings to cover it is a good way to rapidly accumulate a lot of debt.

April posted:

Also, on re-reading this, look at the paragraph I bolded. HAVING A HOUSE IS NOT ON THAT LIST AT ALL. You want intangible things, but keep convincing yourself that buying a tangible thing will create or accelerate your attainment of those intangibles. Stop it.

Also:

Knyteguy posted:

Why don't you tell me why you decided to buy a house and how far $40,000 in a renovation will go? I'm not acting like I know the answers to this stuff, even if I watch some of those house flipping shows.

We bought a house knowing that it was going to be a complete money sink and did not look at it as an asset whatsoever (because it isn't, it doesn't generate money, it drains money).

We bought it with the acknowledgement that it is entirely a "want", not a "need", and with enough cash in the bank to put 20% down plus closing costs without tapping into emergency fund.

We are in the middle of the renovation process.

$40000 is going to cover all of the professional design fees plus professional reports required by council plus other certification fees and council fees and maybe the builder's preliminary costs of setting up and packing up on the site.

All the actual material costs plus labor of construction plus builder's profit margin will be on top of that.

$40000 is not a lot of money when you're talking property and renovations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You really should get rid of the truck as soon as possible. Isn't it some $60k monstrosity? Are you upside-down on it? How much truck equity do you have? It doesn't have to be paid off before you sell it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
He’s waiting to turn it into a hover car, give him some time

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Knyteguy posted:

I'm sorry you have no DIY skills when I do?
Tacks isn't wrong. Kyoon was right - you always overestimate your skills (or your drive to do anything) and underestimate costs.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Home improvements always cost more than you think they will and DIY is always going to be more trouble than you think unless you are incredibly handy and have done lots of house projects in the past. Lots.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
On the other hand, let's not go nuts on the "OMG you will burn it all down," talk.

As I get older, I wish more and more that I had developed some home improvement/mechanical skills earlier in my life. I'm trying now, but it's harder to learn when you're older.

I have found that any kind of home contracting work is basically a giant ripoff. It's one of the last areas of the wild west, where a huge chunk of people will try to size you up to see if they can gouge you as much as possible without any shame, and the work is very often frankly just lovely and poor quality regardless of what you pay.

The number of contracting quotes I have received for the exact same project that have been literally multiples of each other are ridiculous. I know someone is trying to rip me off when they're quoting 3x as much as the next guy for a basic project (think of something like a water softener replacement). Or, frankly, when someone tries to tell me that a new water heater for an ordinary suburban house is gonna be $8,000.

Lawn equipment, things like that, they break. And you'll be much further ahead if you can do some basic things and troubleshooting like replacing spark plugs, replacing power outlets, regrouting, etc.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 16, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
True, you can do a lot yourself. My dad built the house I grew up in and still maintains it, and I consider myself fairly handy. But it's a lot of work and there are some things that you just don't want to touch. Most of the work he does is upkeep and replacement rather than making sweeping changes or upgrades - that is what you should be doing. You shouldn't be installing cool new stuff until you do the basic upkeep stuff, which is boring and time consuming. I can certainly picture you prioritizing shiny and new over basic upkeep so you probably want to get that under control.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

Still trying to figure all of this out. I'm giving myself a couple of weeks to do the math so we can figure out a more permanent budget. The 'budget' has always been focused on the now and very near future so this is a little bit new to me.

My biggest question is what questions should I have?

- How much does the %age I put down effect the interest rate I am able to get?
- What are closing costs going to look like? Other costs such as appraisal, home inspection, etc?
- In addition to closing costs, how much will I need in order to move in and make the house liveable?
- How am I going to keep within my house hunting budget?
- What are my non-negotiables for a house? What am I willing to work on over time?

etc etc etc

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

It's not IDK at all. We want to be able to build up some equity, have the freedom to say run wires and outlets where I want, paint rooms, have a customized art studio for my wife, try our hand at backyard chickens, my wife and I enjoy gardening and landscaping. Home theater is a hobby of mine (super budget [read: free] components right now, but eventually) with in-ceiling speakers and weatherproof outdoor speakers connected to a hub. I love grilling and barbecue so I want to hand build a brick pizza oven and have some sort of outdoor kitchen, I'm a software developer so I love the idea of doing home automation; I'm renting now I can't exactly add a Ring doorbell and home security suite to an apartment, or a smart thermostat, or automated blinds, or solar panels, or create a hand built arcade cabinet running emulators because gently caress moving that, etc. When renting I can't change the flooring and I have family who own flooring companies so it's just material cost not even labor for floors that my wife and I want.

Absolutely none of these things are reasons to buy a house outside of equity. You can do smaller versions of all these things without owning the property.

Knyteguy posted:

It is a priority for my son to play in the backyard, yes. I spent my days shooting hoops, playing street hockey, and doing dumb stuff like trying to dig a pond with my friend in his backyard, so I'd like my son to have similar options.

Your son can still play basketball and street hockey while you rent. Parks exist. Other families with children also rent in your neighborhood. Your son can have the formative experiences of doing stupid things outdoors without it being on property you own. You're not depriving your son of anything by continuing to rent just because he can't have the exact same specific experiences as you.

I don't have any realistic hopes that this will be what gets through to you, but: This isn't a plan to buy a house, it's a thing that allows you to daydream about hand-building a brick loving pizza oven while ignoring all the hard work, time, and money that such a thing will take (not to mention that having a brick oven that takes 24 hours to cool down after reaching temps of more than 500º seems like a pretty terrible thing to want anyway, in a small half-acre lot where a small child and 4 animals will be running around in). This sounds contradictory but I think you should, for once, STOP planning for your future and focus on getting the present in order. You already squandered a ton of money on stupid poo poo that ended up being sold at a loss ( like a 6-year-old's dirt bike and gear when your child was barely even 3, or an RV, or a truck, or...) and daydreaming about the type of speakers you'd mount in the ceiling of the house that you don't own and currently don't have the means or discipline to own is exactly the thing that put you into mountains of debt in the first place.

Again, everything I quoted here isn't a plan for the future, it's an unfulfillable wish-list that allows you to feel like you're planning while allowing you to hand-wave away all the big problems that are preventing you from ever actually doing any of the things that you you say you want to do.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG you consistently overestimate your own capabilities and underestimate costs. I hope you recognize this behavior and you also recognize that you are doing it right now.

gmc9987 posted:

Absolutely none of these things are reasons to buy a house outside of equity. You can do smaller versions of all these things without owning the property.

Your son can still play basketball and street hockey while you rent. Parks exist. Other families with children also rent in your neighborhood. Your son can have the formative experiences of doing stupid things outdoors without it being on property you own. You're not depriving your son of anything by continuing to rent just because he can't have the exact same specific experiences as you.

I don't have any realistic hopes that this will be what gets through to you, but: This isn't a plan to buy a house, it's a thing that allows you to daydream about hand-building a brick loving pizza oven while ignoring all the hard work, time, and money that such a thing will take (not to mention that having a brick oven that takes 24 hours to cool down after reaching temps of more than 500º seems like a pretty terrible thing to want anyway, in a small half-acre lot where a small child and 4 animals will be running around in). This sounds contradictory but I think you should, for once, STOP planning for your future and focus on getting the present in order. You already squandered a ton of money on stupid poo poo that ended up being sold at a loss ( like a 6-year-old's dirt bike and gear when your child was barely even 3, or an RV, or a truck, or...) and daydreaming about the type of speakers you'd mount in the ceiling of the house that you don't own and currently don't have the means or discipline to own is exactly the thing that put you into mountains of debt in the first place.

Again, everything I quoted here isn't a plan for the future, it's an unfulfillable wish-list that allows you to feel like you're planning while allowing you to hand-wave away all the big problems that are preventing you from ever actually doing any of the things that you you say you want to do.

Hawkperson posted:

Hey KG I know it's hard to internalize stuff that doesn't line up with your own feelings, but seriously dude from the outside this cycle of

find big thing that will make it all "better"

find reasons to justify this step making it all "better"

push back against voices saying this will not make it all "better"

go disappear and do the thing that will make it all "better"

come back and tell everyone "it did make it all better and was completely worth it, but now I'm ready to hunker down and work hard"

later admit "my anxiety didn't let me even enjoy the thing that was supposed to make it all better"

but "this new thing WILL make it all better, because things are different this time"

is pretty clear. I'm rooting for you bud, but this ain't it.

And honestly, I think these threads are part of it too. I think it helps you get into an underdog-type position in your thinking. If people are against you, you're driven to prove them wrong. Idk though, that's just spitballing. It just lines up with the cycle you're in.

Also just add in all of April's posts, holy crap man the only person you're fooling is yourself. You keep falling into the same patterns of behavior. You are doing the exact same things you did when you bought the RV - coming up for justifications why it was worth it, how much better everything would be afterwards, that THIS TIME you had it figured out... it's exhausting just watching.

Tying yourself down with an enormous financial commitment where most of your income is going to be servicing debt is not how you get out of this cycle. You're making a false dichotomy between "buying a house with a crippling amount of debt" and "my family is going to be homeless"

At the very least, rent for two or three years and make sure your finances have stabilized, that you can make and keep a budget. Thus far you haven't proven you can hurdle even that low bar, which is why saddling yourself to a 30 year commitment is such an asinine idea.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've found the house you're looking for in Reno, KG. The description seems to include everything you wanted:

quote:

This home perfectly balances extraordinary custom upgrades with day-to-day functionality. Entertaining options abound, whether it's indoors or alfresco. Main level living with impressive Theater, Bar, & Game Area downstairs. Kitchen has new Viking appliances, 2 islands, double fridge/freezers & wood-fired pizza oven. Butler's Pantry... Theater, bar, 2000-bottle wine cellar, pool table & game area. New stamped concrete driveway w/ hydronic heating system w/ remote. Fire Pit, Spa, 2 BBQ's.

How much do you think the home you've been describing is selling for?

$5.25 million. Here's the listing.

There's nothing wrong with wanting your own home. You might can get there one day if you get realistic.

Zero in the house fund and expecting to save $20,000 in a year isn't realistic. Not the amount and not what you think that you will be able to afford, even in the best case scenario.

My dreams of owning a horse when I was 7 years old were more tangible. I was saving an allowance and flipping through the classifieds to see horse prices. There was no way I was getting that horse. We had no place to house it and 7-year-olds don't exactly budget for food or care. My parents let me look, but rightfully figured I'd soon lose interest in the whole matter. I did.

There are two outcomes I see here, neither of which end well.

You'll save a tad and maybe get that inheritance. You'll jump at the first house you see because you've never controlled your impulses. You'll all be be crammed in (and stuck in) a shack.

You'll never get there financially and won't get the inheritance because you impulsively buy another vehicle or another high-tech doo-dad. You'll be chasing this house dream forever and fixate on it as some kind of mythic panacea. Dear, we'd be in eternal bliss if only we were in our own house like the Joneses.

Besides not being able to install your own stuff, what are your problems with where you're living now? What is truly making you uncomfortable in your day-to-day living situation?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KG, I am curious. What is the most you have saved in cold hard non-retirement cash in a year?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I know of a person who died a few years ago. He bought so much stuff - cameras, cooking equipment, camping equipment, vinyl records, computer equipment, garage tools, bicycles, kayaks, etc. Just a poo poo ton of expensive stuff.

I was talking to the person who knew him and said, "Wow, he had so many different things for so many hobbies and projects. He must have been into a lot of different things."

The person responded, and told me that one of the guy's other friends perfectly encapsulated the dead guy's issue, when the friend said, "He was passionate about being passionate."

That really resonated with me. We live in a time where it feels like we're being bombarded with cool things that we should be interested in. It is easy to run across something cool on the internet, and go buy all the poo poo, because hey, we're always supposed to be looking for that next passion, right? The media tells us this - we're not living our best lives unless we're super passionate about things. We need to road cycle, we need to bake bread, we need to garden, we need to do photography, we need to learn an instrument, etc. Even books - I know so many wannabe intellectuals who talk about the number of books they've purchased, where if you look at it mathematically, there's no loving way they could ever read a quarter of them in the time they have available in their life. They buy them because they have some image of themselves, but that's just kind of silly.

It is really easy to just always be looking for the thrill of finding that next passion, without ever really developing an actual passion for something real that you go an intensively do. Shopping for things isn't a real passion - it's wasting time looking for things to buy. Like the guy who spends more time looking for his next set of golf clubs than he actually does playing golf. Or the guy who has $10,000 of photography equipment, who wanders to the local park one day and half-assed takes a bunch of photos and then puts it all away for years. Or the guy with thousands of vinyl records and all of the speakers and equipment, who listens a couple of times a year at most.

I really do think that phrase was a wonderful description of a modern problem.

If you're not actually executing on the things you buy, you're just wasting time and money. And realistically, most of us don't have nearly enough time to reasonably be able to follow through on the execution of all the projects and hobbies we buy things for.

Don't be passionate about being passionate.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 17, 2020

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
What's your target date to buy a house and how much do you need to have saved by then?

I.e. if you are estimating purchasing a 400k house in 2022 and you want to save a 20 percent down payment, that's 40k you need to save each year in the next two years. Then base your budget off of that.

I'm not saying home ownership is a bad thing, but it is going to take some time to get there. Just sit down and do the math, make your budget, and go from there. You can do it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Too many replies for one post. Adding a second one.

SlyFrog posted:

Don't be passionate about being passionate.

I like this. Or the guy who buys hundreds of games during a Steam sale and then never plays any of them. My old friend says 'let's be real we don't play games we collect them'.

I've learned to start very cheap with a hobby and then invest more into them if it's something that catches. Like I like the idea of becoming an Audobon bird watcher, but if that ever actually takes I'm not buying the best 8x42 binoculars to start. I'd just use my crappy knock off Nikons.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I've found the house you're looking for in Reno, KG. The description seems to include everything you wanted:

How much do you think the home you've been describing is selling for?

$5.25 million. Here's the listing.

There's nothing wrong with wanting your own home. You might can get there one day if you get realistic.

Zero in the house fund and expecting to save $20,000 in a year isn't realistic. Not the amount and not what you think that you will be able to afford, even in the best case scenario.

My dreams of owning a horse when I was 7 years old were more tangible. I was saving an allowance and flipping through the classifieds to see horse prices. There was no way I was getting that horse. We had no place to house it and 7-year-olds don't exactly budget for food or care. My parents let me look, but rightfully figured I'd soon lose interest in the whole matter. I did.

There are two outcomes I see here, neither of which end well.

You'll save a tad and maybe get that inheritance. You'll jump at the first house you see because you've never controlled your impulses. You'll all be be crammed in (and stuck in) a shack.

You'll never get there financially and won't get the inheritance because you impulsively buy another vehicle or another high-tech doo-dad. You'll be chasing this house dream forever and fixate on it as some kind of mythic panacea. Dear, we'd be in eternal bliss if only we were in our own house like the Joneses.

Besides not being able to install your own stuff, what are your problems with where you're living now? What is truly making you uncomfortable in your day-to-day living situation?

See? It's not just me who likes this stuff :). Montreux is pretty ritzy yeah.

I fully understand that not all of those things I listed will work out, or I'll lose interest, yadda yadda. Ultimately I may just throw my server rack into some lovely closet and never run a single wire anywhere, but I'm not buying a house just to run wires. I'm buying the house for the freedom to run wires if I want to (or more aptly hire an electrician to run anything high voltage and probably low voltage as well).

As far as 'impulse control' I could go finance a house literally right now with our money on hand (401ks can be used without penalty up to $10,000 for a house down payment) and have it built and brand new with the smart whatevers. I've gotten pre-qualified for 400k from a developer and it includes those smart blinds, a mini-server and switch setup, and whatnot. I'm waiting so I can do it right.

https://www.lennar.com/new-homes/nevada/reno/sparks/homestead-at-kiley-ranch/the-tule/10222510330

Wonderful neighborhood (we used to live a couple blocks from there), good schools, a 9-hole golf course within walking distance, has what we want, and we could get it. (not just to you) Lay off on the impulse control stuff it's one thing to go frivolously spend a couple hundred bucks, but we're talking the most expensive purchase I've ever even thought about making. I want to buy a home to keep it, not to default on it and lose it all.

Replying to more of your post in part two.

DarkHorse posted:

Tying yourself down with an enormous financial commitment where most of your income is going to be servicing debt is not how you get out of this cycle. You're making a false dichotomy between "buying a house with a crippling amount of debt" and "my family is going to be homeless"

At the very least, rent for two or three years and make sure your finances have stabilized, that you can make and keep a budget. Thus far you haven't proven you can hurdle even that low bar, which is why saddling yourself to a 30 year commitment is such an asinine idea.

What's the difference between this and renting? Renting is still a debt if you have a lease. Ask my credit report.

As far as justifications, what about facts? Everyone is focusing on the behavior. We haven't bought a house we're looking into to saving for one. No one has made a good argument against buying a house. It's financially beneficial according to many many financial websites, we get more bang for our buck, the loan can eventually be paid off, interest rates are incredibly low so it's 'good debt', we're staying here for the foreseeable future, I like to garden/landscape and do home improvement projects, etc. I've had my job for 7 years I feel like our financial situation is pretty stable.

If BFC would convince me it doesn't make sense for X, Y, and Z then I'd be more open to changing my plans. Not just 'a house doesn't fix your problems', because neither does renting and also I'm not looking for a house to fix my problems. I'm not trying to get an armchair shrink here - I want financial input. Why does a house not make sense, financially?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

True, you can do a lot yourself. My dad built the house I grew up in and still maintains it, and I consider myself fairly handy. But it's a lot of work and there are some things that you just don't want to touch. Most of the work he does is upkeep and replacement rather than making sweeping changes or upgrades - that is what you should be doing. You shouldn't be installing cool new stuff until you do the basic upkeep stuff, which is boring and time consuming. I can certainly picture you prioritizing shiny and new over basic upkeep so you probably want to get that under control.

I know it's an RV but drat if I didn't keep that thing going - those things aren't exactly built to last especially when you use them like we did. I managed to fix an accident my wife had running the aluminum body into a sign, install a cell booster on the roof, install a TV, keep a flood from causing water damage, fix some damage to the stabilizer jacks from a tropical storm, replace a shower head, winterize and dewinterize it, etc.

Electrical is something I don't mess with, but I'm pretty comfortable in most other places. I wouldn't gently caress with loadbearing walls either. I grew up learning different trades from flooring installation, to arc and gas welding, to woodworking, to sheet metal, to small engine repair. I installed a tablet in a 2004 Ford Truck as a head unit in 2009 along with amps (2), speakers, subwoofers, and a pre-amp to drive the tablet signal.

My point is I am also fairly handy. DIY projects don't scare me. I used to weed the house rental we were at (1/3rd acre with just loving weeds everywhere), and do the lawn and whatnot. Again that was a little home ownership trial.

**part two coming up!!**

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I have no idea how this much effort is being put into all of these changes you’re not going to make. You should just spend the time you would be posting here practicing mindfulness it’d go so much further or just keep posting and failing whatever

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

nikosoft posted:

What's your target date to buy a house and how much do you need to have saved by then?

I.e. if you are estimating purchasing a 400k house in 2022 and you want to save a 20 percent down payment, that's 40k you need to save each year in the next two years. Then base your budget off of that.

I'm not saying home ownership is a bad thing, but it is going to take some time to get there. Just sit down and do the math, make your budget, and go from there. You can do it.

Thank you, this is what I'm trying to do. I don't know our timeframe, and I don't know how much we need saved yet. My wife is starting her 401k rollover to a Trad. Roth today, and then I'll start budgeting what IRA contributions look like. We're behind so I think we should max it. 15% of our income is probably what needs to be done, so our down payment amount will be dependent on that.

Until this is done I don't have any answers. I just know that buying a house is a goal of ours and I want to start to work towards it if it's feasible.

gmc9987 posted:

I never bought my kid a dirt bike; he's not ready. The 'telephone game' stuff is too much for me sometimes in the thread. Apparently I let a truck sit around for 5 years, but I'm really not aware of what truck that may be.

I'm actually, for once, trying to plan for the future and the present at the same time. I'm just trying to get a budget setup so I can get answers. Maybe we can't afford more than a $200,000 shanty (in this market at least) after retirement contributions in which case we will just rent a place that fits our needs and get rid of the wants. It just depends on what the numbers say. My wish-list is likely partially unfulfillable yes, that's fine. I can tell you that like... home theater stuff won't be though; I've been messing with that stuff since I was 16 (almost 20 years now).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG, I am curious. What is the most you have saved in cold hard non-retirement cash in a year?

e:

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Well like I mentioned space is an issue now that my wife works from home. The schools here aren't wonderful either, but we're waiting on a science-based charter school admission to find out if that's a problem. We have a young couple above us doing what young couples do at 3:00am on a work night (arguing/throwing things, and loving) which gets tiresome.

I don't have access to our router so I can't do things like forward ports or run an adblocking firewall after the router (double NAT scenario), so we're stuck at 4 ethernet ports. My wife has to be hardwired to work from home so we have to run Cat6 down the hall daily.

Space is an issue, and yet so is finding another place to live. Landlords have the freedom to be incredibly picky in my city right now, because we have more renters than rentals. The very large majority of places have pet weight limits for example, and that's something we ran into hardcore trying to find this place. In fact this is the -only- place in town we could find that we could find.

If we could just go rent some cool appropriate house that fit our needs and that we qualified for we probably would, but we legitimately couldn't last summer when we looked. We called I believe every single apartment in town and couldn't find a house for rent that was within our budget. My wife's family owns a lot of homes because they got very wealthy off of property, and even that was a no-go because she had nothing available (and we're talking 15+ properties).

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 17, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

some dumb mother fucker up in here thinkin hes gonna save twenty grand when the most hes saved is four hundred bucks

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

some dumb mother fucker up in here thinkin hes gonna save twenty grand when the most hes saved is four hundred bucks

Read my posts rear end in a top hat.

I don't know our timeframe, and I don't know how much we need saved yet. My wife is starting her 401k rollover to a Trad. Roth today, and then I'll start budgeting what IRA contributions look like. We're behind so I think we should max it. 15% of our income is probably what needs to be done, so our down payment amount will be dependent on that.

And the answer is $14,000 I've saved up, much of which we used to pay off the loving RV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

haha you "saved money" that was really offset by your absurd consumer toy loan so uhh no you didn't save poo poo

you are gonna need at minimum forty grand for the house you want so good luck buyin that house in a hundred years

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

haha you "saved money" that was really offset by your absurd consumer toy loan so uhh no you didn't save poo poo

you are gonna need at minimum forty grand for the house you want so good luck buyin that house in a hundred years

I need at minimum $7,500. Again read my posts rear end in a top hat.

As far as 'impulse control' I could go finance a house literally right now with our money on hand (401ks can be used without penalty up to $10,000 for a house down payment) and have it built and brand new with the smart whatevers. I've gotten pre-qualified for 400k from a developer and it includes those smart blinds, a mini-server and switch setup, and whatnot. I'm waiting so I can do it right.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the fact that you are even considering raiding your 401(k) to "prove" you can afford a house on an extremely low money down loan shows how poo poo with money you are

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the fact that you are even considering raiding your 401(k) to "prove" you can afford a house on an extremely low money down loan shows how poo poo with money you are

Wow so you're moving the goalposts now that you're wrong? I thought the point you were making was that the most I saved was $400 and that it would take me a hundred years to get the house I wanted.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Go buy the house then I dunno why you’re not

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Go buy the house then I dunno why you’re not

Because like I said, I want to do it right.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

Wow so you're moving the goalposts now that you're wrong? I thought the point you were making was that the most I saved was $400 and that it would take me a hundred years to get the house I wanted.

money on hand is not money in your 401(k) you broke-brained idiot

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

money on hand is not money in your 401(k) you broke-brained idiot

Well if I've had $14,000 on hand then I can do it that way, you 'broke-brained idiot'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rl9Cxc7uZA&t=26s

Tell me what benefit do you derive from this thread personally? If it's 'entertainment from failing' then you're a lovely person, if it's 'to help' then you're doing a terrible job because you can't keep your emotions in check and you should probably work on that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Because like I said, I want to do it right.

The right thing to do is buy the house and just get it over with. It’s good timing too I guess. If the house is a bigger priority than financial, mental health, or physical health and that’s what you want just get it now. The right thing is what you want dog just do it

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

The right thing to do is buy the house and just get it over with. It’s good timing too I guess. If the house is a bigger priority than financial, mental health, or physical health and that’s what you want just get it now. The right thing is what you want dog just do it

You loving people lmao. Sometimes I get upset but this time it's just funny.

"Hey guys I want this and I'm buying it right now"

- cue 15 effort posts on why that's a bad idea

*learns something*

"Hey guys I want to save and meet a long-standing personal goal of mine, contribute to retirement (hey how much should I contribute?), follow a budget, and I want to do it correctly despite subjecting myself to some real dickheads. How should I proceed?"

- you dumb idiot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

Well if I've had $14,000 on hand then I can do it that way, you 'broke-brained idiot'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rl9Cxc7uZA&t=26s

Tell me what benefit do you derive from this thread personally? If it's 'entertainment from failing' then you're a lovely person, if it's 'to help' then you're doing a terrible job because you can't keep your emotions in check and you should probably work on that.

oh you mean 14k that was offsetting your RV loan? that 14k? you never had that 14k, the bank had that 14k.

at one point i was seriously trying to help you but your continued delusions mean that i've given that up. it's funny seeing you rationalize your bullshit though.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You can’t meet a short term goal so just meet the short term goal of buying a house and you can side step this unattainable thing you’re setting yourself up to fail at.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh you mean 14k that was offsetting your RV loan? that 14k? you never had that 14k, the bank had that 14k.

at one point i was seriously trying to help you but your continued delusions mean that i've given that up. it's funny seeing you rationalize your bullshit though.

Again you keep moving the goalposts, at first it's you've saved $400 (which what, that's subject to the same argument you're making), and then it's well that's not cash on hand, and then it's well you're in debt nah-nah-nah that doesn't count.

Imagine this - I'm actually trying to get out of debt, took some real steps to do so, and now I want to follow a budget and work towards it and also contribute to retirement, and now is the time you guys loving turn on me? That doesn't make sense. I worked really hard to get that RV out from underneath the loan, sold it, took the thread's advice on the apartment, sold a ton of poo poo on the thread's advice and threw it towards debt, and actually made some real changes, and it's... now? Like I said I can only laugh at it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Retirement? I thought you were trying to buy a house

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm trying to get you to calibrate your expectations on what you can execute by asking you how much you've managed to save in a year, and you think that's some kind of logic trap. That's telling.

You also think your retirement money is a source of free cash, and the fact that you had massive consumer debt due to your stupid loving impulse decisions did not offset your nominal cash savings.

You also still haven't made a budget which takes like, an hour maybe, so all of this is just an exercise in you furiously masturbating to poo poo you will never achieve.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Retirement? I thought you were trying to buy a house

I don't understand the glossing over of things. I literally just said I want to max out IRAs and likely additional retirement savings, and then plan our entire life around those contributions. The house purchase only makes sense if it fits within a budget that will allow us to retire eventually.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

I don't understand the glossing over of things. I literally just said I want to max out IRAs and likely additional retirement savings, and then plan our entire life around those contributions. The house purchase only makes sense if it fits within a budget that will allow us to retire eventually.

Why does your non existent budget have a house category.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Idk what you want bud, because I get that you don’t want armchair shrinks but then when someone does go into the financial stuff you’re like “finally! Thank you. The answer to your questions is I don’t know.”

You’re gonna get more of what you pay attention to in your thread so if you wanna have snipy arguments with people then peeps are gonna come to your thread for the snipy arguments. Take a break and figure out some answers to those financial questions and then come back. There’s nothing to talk about right now except armchair psychology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm trying to get you to calibrate your expectations on what you can execute by asking you how much you've managed to save in a year, and you think that's some kind of logic trap. That's telling.

You also think your retirement money is a source of free cash, and the fact that you had massive consumer debt due to your stupid loving impulse decisions did not offset your nominal cash savings.

You also still haven't made a budget which takes like, an hour maybe, so all of this is just an exercise in you furiously masturbating to poo poo you will never achieve.

Thank you, I don't give a gently caress about the insults in here you guys do you (if anyone thinks I didn't expect it you're crazy). Yes the loving impulse decisions have hurt me, they've hurt my family. A budget is coming but I'm waiting on this loving IRA and I need to make something that we can actually use moving forward for more than a month.

Hawkperson posted:

Idk what you want bud, because I get that you don’t want armchair shrinks but then when someone does go into the financial stuff you’re like “finally! Thank you. The answer to your questions is I don’t know.”

You’re gonna get more of what you pay attention to in your thread so if you wanna have snipy arguments with people then peeps are gonna come to your thread for the snipy arguments. Take a break and figure out some answers to those financial questions and then come back. There’s nothing to talk about right now except armchair psychology.

I'm not here for snippy arguments, I'm trying to answer the questions people ask as best I can.

When there's 15 replies I like to show respect to you guys by actually giving those replies answers and my own replies as best I can (yes I miss some). If I didn't respect the input of many here I wouldn't be here. My budget isn't going to take an hour, because what's the definition of insanity? I want to make a budget that will work with us instead of against us and I'm thinking through different approaches that will work for my family. Does my son need drum lessons, are we paying off the truck first, how long can we stand to stay in our current apartment? Realistically how little do I want to spend on discretionary things? What have our medical bills looked like over the past 6 months? My budget needs to answer that, so yes it's taking me a bit of time.