Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Technically a prequel, but Dumb and Dumber: when harry met lloyd or whatever is a tragically bad example.

Dumb and Dumberer.

I liked it. The bloke playing the young Jeff Daniels was very good.

And speaking of sequels, one of my favourites is Weekend an Bernies II He's STILL dead!

Spoiler in case anyone hasn't seen that cinematic masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That was an armourer's mistake, though - the gun had been loaded with dummy rounds and an actual projectile got stuck in the gun, which along with the addition of a blank cartridge created a full live round.

The real canonical example is Jon-Erik Hexum, who was bored on set and decided to play Russian roulette with a gun loaded with blanks. The concussive wave from the propellant igniting crushed his temple and drove fragments of his skull into his brain.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Alex Proyas is a pretty lousy director, so I can say Dark City Director's Cut is his best movie on the grounds he managed to finish it without killing Rufus Sewell by mistake.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Alex Proyas is a pretty lousy director, so I can say Dark City Director's Cut is his best movie on the grounds he managed to finish it without killing Rufus Sewell by mistake.

The Dark City set is actually the world’s largest cursed monkey’s paw. By using it you’ll make a really good movie but it’s the only good movie you’ll ever make. Look at the Wachowskis. They used it for the Matrix, which ruled, but it’s been all crap since.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who else hit solid-gold only once in their career?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Michael Cimino probably qualifies. IIRC, The Deer Hunter was the first big movie he directed, but the next one he did was Heaven’s Gate which absolutely bombs and he never does much of anything again.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

M Night? His other stuff may not be bad but he hit the dizzying heights of success exactly once and has been trying to recapture it much like the Wachowskis.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Cimino tried to pull the same poo poo when they attempted to give him another shot with loving Footloose of all things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

M Night? His other stuff may not be bad but he hit the dizzying heights of success exactly once and has been trying to recapture it much like the Wachowskis.

Shyamalan has made some fuckups, but he did two great movies first. The Wachowskis are definitely "one and done" filmmakers though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

fartknocker posted:

Michael Cimino probably qualifies. IIRC, The Deer Hunter was the first big movie he directed, but the next one he did was Heaven’s Gate which absolutely bombs and he never does much of anything again.

Oh sure, Heaven's Gate had a box office of $3.5 million on a $44 million budget. That's not even close to his biggest bomb. Sunchaser, starring Woody Harrelson and Anne Bancroft, cost $31 million to make and cashed in for a grand total of $21 thousand dollars.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Shyamalan has made some fuckups, but he did two great movies first. The Wachowskis are definitely "one and done" filmmakers though.

Shyamalan didn’t go downhill til the last third of Signs. The beginning of that movie was so good and the birthday party scene was probably the most uneasy I’ve ever been watching a movie.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Strictly as a director, Charles Laughton. He directed one film (The Night of the Hunter) which is generally regarded as, if not a masterpiece, whatever is one notch below that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

Strictly as a director, Charles Laughton. He directed one film (The Night of the Hunter) which is generally regarded as, if not a masterpiece, whatever is one notch below that.

Which reminds me that the very rationally irritating movie moment of Peeping Tom is that it ended Mike Powell's career. That movie was 15 or 20 years ahead of its time and is better than Psycho.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Did Orson Welles direct another film that was unreservedly praised after 'Citizen Kane', not counting posthumous reconstructions and director's cuts?

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Jun 17, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Look at the Wachowskis. They used it for the Matrix, which ruled, but it’s been all crap since.

You need to watch Speed Racer.

Jedit posted:

The Wachowskis are definitely "one and done" filmmakers though.

As do you.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Jun 17, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Imagined posted:

Did Orson Welles direct another film that was unreservedly praised after 'Citizen Kane', not counting posthumous reconstructions and director's cuts?

The Magnificent Ambersons and Touch of Evil.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Jun 17, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Which reminds me that the very rationally irritating movie moment of Peeping Tom is that it ended Mike Powell's career. That movie was 15 or 20 years ahead of its time and is better than Psycho.

The weird thing with Laughton though is that it's not like he was persona non grata after Night of the Hunter the way Powell was. Night of the Hunter just wasn't a success, it didn't review very well and people didn't go to see it but it wasn't overly controversial. Laughton just was disillusioned by the whole experience and never directed again, mostly by his own choice from what I understand.

rydiafan posted:

And Cloud Atlas. And Jupiter Ascending. The Wackowski's have never made a bad film, although it may be true that they've never quite matched The Matrix.

Edit: And I just thought of another one and done guy. Marlon Brando directed one film and it's fantastic. I did a MotM post on it a while back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897517

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Jun 17, 2020

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Paul WS Anderson directed Event Horizon and a ton of crap.

Roland Joffe's first two movies were The Killing Fields and The Mission. I don't think he's done anything else worth watching.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

And Cloud Atlas. And Jupiter Ascending.

Cloud Atlas was alright, but I would probably never watch it again. Also there's the whole yellowface thing. Jupiter Ascending is dogshit though.

The Red Letter Media guys just did a review of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the 1971 one) and pointed out that the director of that only did documentaries before and not much since. So he's got to count as one.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It must really burn to be an asian actor from Europe or North America that's get passed over for a role because the intended character is turned from asian to white, or the character is still asian but now played by a white actor in yellowface.

I was going to make a witty point but I can't think of anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Cloud Atlas complaints are legitimate but at the same time I think it's worth pointing out that it wasn't just a simple case of "oh we need a white actor to play this Asian character". A huge part of the story in that movie is that these individual souls are moving through time inhabiting different bodies so it's a bit more complicated than a simple white washing. Doona Bae is in the film and she plays a white woman at one point. Still problematic though.

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Heh, look at this guy forgetting about Mortal Kombat.

Also with Anderson you have to take into account that several of his Resident Evil movies have been very very profitable. So while he may be making garbage, it's successful garbage. Not the same thing as someone like Cimino who made such a titanic flop that it ruined his whole career in one shot.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jun 17, 2020

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Ego-bot posted:

Paul WS Anderson directed Event Horizon and a ton of crap.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Basebf555 posted:

The Cloud Atlas complaints are legitimate but at the same time I think it's worth pointing out that it wasn't just a simple case of "oh we need a white actor to play this Asian character". A huge part of the story in that movie is that these individual souls are moving through time inhabiting different bodies so it's a bit more complicated than a simple white washing. Doona Bae is in the film and she plays a white woman at one point. Still problematic though.

Yeah I'm not really sure what the solution would have been. It's honestly pretty impressive they were able to turn that book into a coherent film.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

youknowthatoneguy posted:

I just watched that again like two weeks ago and it's incredibly fun.

rydiafan posted:

I have, and did not like it. I've actually never seen the opinion that Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, and especially Jupiter Ascending are worth watching outside of these forums. Jupiter Ascending dissapointed me so hard, I really wanted to like it going in but it was a badly paced, incoherent mess.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jedit posted:

The Magnificent Ambersons and Touch of Evil.

I haven't seen The Magnificent Ambersons but Touch of Evil is great, even with Charlton Heston as a Mexican lol. But I was under the impression that Touch of Evil (like almost all his movies) was absolutely butchered by the studio and then only posthumously reconstructed into a director's cut based on his notes and written objections to the studio?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I have, and did not like it. I've actually never seen the opinion that Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, and especially Jupiter Ascending are worth watching outside of these forums. Jupiter Ascending dissapointed me so hard, I really wanted to like it going in but it was a badly paced, incoherent mess.

I think what's going on there is that the Wackowski's didn't make any concessions to the general public when they made those films because they had enormous clout. And so your average person walking around in 2020 probably isn't going to want the kind of golden age sci-fi throwback that Jupiter Ascending is, or the ridiculous cartoon stuff in Speed Racer, or the super intricate almost undecipherable Cloud Atlas. These are movies made without any regard for current mainstream tastes and as a result they are not very popular.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

It must really burn to be an asian actor from Europe or North America that's get passed over for a role because the intended character is turned from asian to white, or the character is still asian but now played by a white actor in yellowface.

I was going to make a witty point but I can't think of anything.

Does that happen often anymore? Legitimately wondering, it's been a while since I've heard about it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I just watched that again like two weeks ago and it's incredibly fun.

Jupiter Ascending was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen in the theater, with the possible exception of the most chronologically recent X-files movie. No movie that mind-blowingly gorgeous had any right to be so dumb and boring. The only thing I said positively about JA was that it really drove home to me that literally anything you can imagine can be depicted on screen now given enough money. Too bad they forgot to write a story, script or characters anyone cared about or could believe in.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Relative to its budget, Jupiter Ascending is the worst movie I've ever seen. Not relative to its budget, it's in the worst 3. It's not a golden age throwback, it's just a bad movie with bad acting, a worse script, and even worse direction.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Does that happen often anymore? Legitimately wondering, it's been a while since I've heard about it.

They didn't wear literal yellowface, but Emma Stone and Scarlett Johansson both played asian characters.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The stuff coming out about the comedian that plays Henderson in You season 2 is disgusting, but also reminded me how much I like You. It really explicitly avoids the pitfall that so many shows fall victim to where the main character is totally a psychopath but is somehow "endearing" or "cool" enough that the audience is inclined to root for them anyway. Joe is a terrifying freak and having him narrate everything for the viewer from his own POV drives home how insidious and vile he is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the Wachowski's there's also Sense8, that's likely divisive because it's a weird story with a LOT of sex (like half the climaxes :haw: are orgys), but it's an interesting one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alhazred posted:

They didn't wear literal yellowface, but Emma Stone and Scarlett Johansson both played asian characters.

Hugo Weaving showed up with his eyes altered in some way to have more Asian-like eyes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Speed Racer would actually be what everyone on these forums says it is if it weren't so excruciatingly long and unrelentingly repetitive as a result.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Speed Racer would actually be what everyone on these forums says it is if it weren't so excruciatingly long and unrelentingly repetitive as a result.

I agree with that, I like it but the criticism I do have is that it drags and gets repetitive. I don't feel that way about Cloud Atlas or Jupiter Ascending.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Jun 17, 2020

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Bound is definitely worth watching.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ynohtna posted:

Bound is definitely worth watching.

Finally someone mentions the best Wachowski film.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

BioEnchanted posted:

With the Wachowski's there's also Sense8, that's likely divisive because it's a weird story with a LOT of sex (like half the climaxes :haw: are orgys), but it's an interesting one.

Sens8 has great characters and a borderline non existent story - and that's good cause from the little pieces we can see the story stinks of a Lost-like mistery box.

I have only seen Season 1 so I don't know about the rest. It's definitely the best thing they have done since Matrix 1, imo.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jun 17, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

How about the opposite? Who hit solid gold every time? Anyone other than John Cazale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Alhazred posted:

Don't know about Emma Stone, but if you're referring to Scarlet Johansson in Ghost in the Shell, I think that was just plain ol' whitewashing, something that definitely is still quite frequent.

That Italian Guy posted:

Sens8 has great characters and a borderline non existent story - and that's good cause from the little pieces we can see the story stinks of a Lost-like mistery box.

I have only seen Season 1 so I don't know about the rest. It's definitely the best thing they have done since Matrix 1, imo.

Sense8 had bursts of interesting plotlines, but they often just fizzled to nothing or went nowhere. Then everyone has an orgy or something. Seriously, every other episode had an orgy.