Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

reignonyourparade posted:

Just had Yuan Shao vote against every single person that wanted to join our coalition for like 50 turns before suddenly turning around and going "you know who I really want to join our coalition? Gongsun Zan, who I spent 2/3 of this game fighting."

Yuan Shao is a goddamn clown show in my game. I can't wait to turn north and stomp his balls in. I hate to see good farmland go to waste..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started a 194 Ma Teng campaign and its a tricky start. I've managed to lock down the North West and I'm starting to build up the abandoned regions whilst my ebon starts to snowball.

Something is up with the Ma family though, Teng and Chao always hate everyone.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Started a 194 Ma Teng campaign and its a tricky start. I've managed to lock down the North West and I'm starting to build up the abandoned regions whilst my ebon starts to snowball.

ma teng needs to meet an unfortunate end sooner rather than later

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah, I think they're designed to be "does not play well with the other children" characters.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ma teng needs to meet an unfortunate end sooner rather than later

That's what I tend to do with that faction, yeah. Better to have Chao in control for the rest of the game.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Most of my 194 games have ended with Ma Teng founding Liang but being a big ol' paper tiger whose entire family, and half of his officer corps, abandons him throughout the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I fell off this game but holy poo poo I didn't know about Liu Chong's Oops All Crossbows gimmick and drat if I'm not tempted to buy MoH and play him just for that.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

I don't know what you're talking about. Everyone loves Ma Teng.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

I fell off this game but holy poo poo I didn't know about Liu Chong's Oops All Crossbows gimmick and drat if I'm not tempted to buy MoH and play him just for that.

He's my favorite faction I think. His Fortitude mechanic isn't anything particularly imaginative, but it works well if you win a lot of battles, which you will. The trophies case is fun, too, although I like Lu Bu's headhunting mechanic better.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

McTimmy posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. Everyone loves Ma Teng.
Lmao, I love stuff like this, really adds some nice flavour to the game.

I noticed in my campaign that Pang De becomes a legendary hero, even if he doesn't start as one, that's a bit weird as I didn't think characters would level up to legendary.

What siege equipment compositions do people use? I know the usual answer is 2-3x Trebuchet and just murder the gates, but I find that a bit boring and sometimes like to use siege towers etc.

I've been favouring 1x Ram, 2x Towers, 2x Tunnels (optional) for smaller cities, and 2x Ram, 2x Tower, 1x Tunnel for larger ones.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't really like to have an army waiting a couple of turns to build towers etc. I usually destroy walls, use archers to set towers on fire, and attack through the breaches. With walls you can make one wide enough so your units can engage on a wide front, or have space to maneuver units for rear charge.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

I noticed in my campaign that Pang De becomes a legendary hero, even if he doesn't start as one, that's a bit weird as I didn't think characters would level up to legendary.

Any character who has over 100 in a stat is a legendary hero.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Love me some turncoats, yes. I had Ma Chao too, but he got executed after he lost the civil war I had him instigate.

This has been a fun game. While I was busy building my southern trade empire, Liu Bei, Cao Cao, Sun Jian and Yuan Shao all got wiped out early and China has turned into random loser thunderdome. The Dynamic campaign mod + randomizing faction potential mod is a fun time.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
In the middle of a Shi Wu game where i've been able to consolidate a big chunk of the central south and get Shi Xie to liberate me, I was making enough income to fully support almost 4 stacks.

In preparation of clearing out the remaining areas of the Yellow Turbans i moved all my armies to their borders.

After about 20 turns, i have given up and have been trying to sue for peace as i've been completely battered and lost 3 full stacks AND Shi Wu died already because they somehow have 17 full stacks worth of Yellow Turbans for like 5 provinces. Jesus what the christ

Good news is now i'm back to making 9k profit a turn with no army upkeep

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

VietCampo posted:

In the middle of a Shi Wu game where i've been able to consolidate a big chunk of the central south and get Shi Xie to liberate me, I was making enough income to fully support almost 4 stacks.

In preparation of clearing out the remaining areas of the Yellow Turbans i moved all my armies to their borders.

After about 20 turns, i have given up and have been trying to sue for peace as i've been completely battered and lost 3 full stacks AND Shi Wu died already because they somehow have 17 full stacks worth of Yellow Turbans for like 5 provinces. Jesus what the christ

Good news is now i'm back to making 9k profit a turn with no army upkeep

Yeah the Turbans got really weird after Mandate dropped. I'm currently trying to break through 8 stacks around their last settlement. They have multiple heroes with Brilliant so my ammo is neutered and they have best friend Huang Gai around.

And that's almost nothing on what a lunatic Gong Du is. He took all of Ye and is running around with eight full stacks who have such insane replenishment it's impossible to force him back. I had to take an incredible risk and launch a reckless suicide play to get him out of Wudu because despite me defeating one army seven turns in a row row he could replenish everything he lost in one turn.

And he's somehow part of my empire.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Yeah the Turbans got really weird after Mandate dropped. I'm currently trying to break through 8 stacks around their last settlement. They have multiple heroes with Brilliant so my ammo is neutered and they have best friend Huang Gai around.

And that's almost nothing on what a lunatic Gong Du is. He took all of Ye and is running around with eight full stacks who have such insane replenishment it's impossible to force him back. I had to take an incredible risk and launch a reckless suicide play to get him out of Wudu because despite me defeating one army seven turns in a row row he could replenish everything he lost in one turn.

And he's somehow part of my empire.

Yea, being in the southern part mainly is making it super hard to counter just due to the amount of time it takes to travel around the winding roads in between all the mountains and impassible terrain.

My biggest defeat was when i was marching 2 full stacks toward a tool workshop that they couldn't reach just by a bit and on endturn i was surrounded by 4 stacks that i couldn't even spot before + the garrison . Needless to say my 6k strong army got absolutely demolished by 13k yellow turbans being led by Gong Du. I'm not sure how to proceed now with trying to clear them out. I could peace out and rebuild my stacks but even then i've lost probably a couple of my best characters already and i've only killed a few of their generic ones.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 18, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm really enjoying playing my YT Campaign, but I do miss the diplomacy side of things quite a bit, it's a lot of character in the game that you can't interact with anymore.

Some of these YT units are absolutely nuts though, Men of the Forest feel like they're armed with AK47s compared to the rest.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Flipswitch posted:

I'm really enjoying playing my YT Campaign, but I do miss the diplomacy side of things quite a bit, it's a lot of character in the game that you can't interact with anymore.

Some of these YT units are absolutely nuts though, Men of the Forest feel like they're armed with AK47s compared to the rest.

I just won a war against a Kong Rong-led coalition in my He Yi game. You really do feel unstoppable after awhile. Your armies replenish really quickly and your unique units are really powerful. I seized Kong Rong's capitol commandery for my 12th one total and got the "YTs are unstoppable and seize the very heart of China!!!" message.

Thing is, other than Yuan Shao being dick to everyone I have no idea what the North looks like..

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
does anyone still play Napoleon lol

I'm reinstalling it

Wondering what the best mods are for improving graphics / sound / making battles more atmospheric

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been tempted to reinstall it but I do worry it may have aged poorly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's aged ok. Miles better than empire and does what it sets out to do. I still play it from time to time.

Looks like garbage by todays standards if you're into pretty battles, though.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Flipswitch posted:

I've been tempted to reinstall it but I do worry it may have aged poorly.

I just alt tabbed out of the game to say that it seems to have aged pretty well but now I can't get back into the game and had to alt-f4 so uhh...

It looks like there are some pretty good mods. I love a good modding scene but hate how long it takes to get oriented with which mods are standard, which are obsolete etc., especially when there's not a central repository like the Workshop or Nexus.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Are there any mods for Attila that start a little bit later? Like 410-415? Playing whack-a-mole for 25 years before getting to the good stuff is getting kinda dull.

Or hell, I guess even curated saves would work.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAl9SayLzTE

Truth Behind The Myth, The Trojan Horse: Just a slightly themed siege tower.

Mmm, yeah, God bless EGS 'cause I'm not sure how well this would have done otherwise, lol.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
It's getting destroyed right now, I kinda feel bad for EGS right now, seems like CA fleeced them.

That's a lie I don't feel bad for EGS.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The Trojan Horse could have been a piece of siege equipment you build, except instead it lets you Vanguard deploy a unit within the enemy's walls.

Pay me CA.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What do you mean, 'it's getting destroyed,' I want my free game. I'm cautiously optimistic, honestly.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The Trojan Horse could have been a piece of siege equipment you build, except instead it lets you Vanguard deploy a unit within the enemy's walls.

Pay me CA.

Yeah. Make it a night battle and have the walls ungarrisoned so it's a race by both sides to get into position. Boom.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My desire for free game is conflicted by my desire to spite Epic. gently caress exclusives mang

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
poo poo did anyone make a joke about the game being a trojan horse to get players on epic

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Arbite posted:

Yeah. Make it a night battle and have the walls ungarrisoned so it's a race by both sides to get into position. Boom.

That's really neat, flavourful, and it's something that hasn't been done in a TW before.

What I'm saying is that it's something appropriate for probably THE key thing people think about when thinking about the Trojan Wars, rather than "let's call a siege tower a horse" :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 19, 2020

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I was hopeful about TW:Troy setting the new standard for siege battles in preparation for TWW3 and beyond, if nothing else

I am no longer so hopeful

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The video actually shows using a trojan horse to sneak units into the city to start a night battle against unprepared defenses. It's not just siege towers

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

The video actually shows using a trojan horse to sneak units into the city to start a night battle against unprepared defenses. It's not just siege towers

I got caught up in angry posting then, my bad :sweatdrop:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm still pretty optimistic in general but man that music does not do it for me

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Kaza42 posted:

Wow, nice catch, I flicked through it and missed that. Probably because it's just a boat (like literally a boat asset) they rolled in on logs and it seems to be a cut-scene thing where the battle gets triggered with different parameters and some units inside the gates.

Pretty neat then, even if the more story-ish interpretations of the Trojan Horse seem to be more plausible than just "they're giving us a boat"; I can understand why you might not check a big honkin' wooden statue for hidden soldiers, but a bit less in the case of what's just a boat on land.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I take back everything i said about the game "maybe being good"

That looks horrendous.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I like that apparently in their "truth behind the myth" thing there are still guys running around shirtless on the battlefield like it's 300 or something. But uh...wow what a misstep this is looking to be.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

As one of the only people hype for Troy I was hyped because I thought it was on the 3k engine and that would be a great fit for troy.

The warhammer 2 engine but without monsters sounds awful. The basic battle engine in Warhams is not good for infantry fights

E having said that I will buy it sight unseen like all TW games

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its free, you don't need to buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

“Hey Aeneas, those morons have gone, but it looks like they left one of their boats behind with some of their stuff and some kind of offering to the gods.”

“Sweet, roll it into the city and we’ll divvy up the loot tomorrow.”