Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Astroman posted:

I don't think Wesley was supposed to be the good guy there. It would have been more positive for him to say "I accept you no matter what!" :haw: but his reaction as a teenager who might not know better was realistic, especially for the time. It also made you think and realize it was a bad reaction, which was the point.

I don’t disagree, but that scene hit way way way too close to home as a trans woman. Usually the women in those scenarios don’t have incredible shape shifting powers to fall back on, so they end up being hurt or killed instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The best part of "The Dauphin" is when Word almost gets killed by the shapeshifter and he's just like "lol that owns"

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
I always used to get The Dauphin and The Perfect Mate mixed up in my head, they're so similar.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

Maybe it wasn't a violation for your ball to go there. You're just supposed to wait for the authorized ball retrieval guy to come get it or something.

It's forbidden to disturb new plants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxopd_qSVKo

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm doing a Star Trek the next generation re-watch and in episode six of season two Deana Troi says that she feels extreme jealousy coming from data. In season one she said she couldn't feel anything from him because he is an android. I'm starting to think that this documentary isn't entirely accurate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Croatoan posted:

So I'm doing a Star Trek the next generation re-watch and in episode six of season two Deana Troi says that she feels extreme jealousy coming from data. In season one she said she couldn't feel anything from him because he is an android. I'm starting to think that this documentary isn't entirely accurate.
There were a lot of things with Data that don’t make sense

Like he should not have been affected by the virus that makes the crew all horny, but apparently he was

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

FlamingLiberal posted:

There were a lot of things with Data that don’t make sense

Like he should not have been affected by the virus that makes the crew all horny, but apparently he was

If you, as an android, finally get a chance to act horny around everybody wouldn't you take the opportunity?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Croatoan posted:

If you, as an android, finally get a chance to act horny around everybody wouldn't you take the opportunity?

It was very special for him, after all.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So that dude did it so that Wesley would be executed and thus stop trying to steal his girl

STONE COLD MURDER

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Later on when that crewmember gets a crush on him he just goes along with it for a while. Everything about human relationships is so weird to him that he probably just rolled with it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Also, instead of doing a watch of TOS right now, I've decided that would be too distracting while I'm trying to work since there's a bunch of episode I haven't seen so have gone to the start of Voyager (skipped Caretaker since I saw that a few months ago).

It's a weird reminder of how the show showed some of its problems early on, but also how it had a lot of promise. Janeways log entry questioning how her relationship with the crew should evolve given their situation, the Maquis/Starfleet tension and the discussion of the difficulties keeping the ship running are great but also sad knowing it all ends up thrown out of the window.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Senor Tron posted:

Also, instead of doing a watch of TOS right now, I've decided that would be too distracting while I'm trying to work since there's a bunch of episode I haven't seen so have gone to the start of Voyager (skipped Caretaker since I saw that a few months ago).

It's a weird reminder of how the show showed some of its problems early on, but also how it had a lot of promise. Janeways log entry questioning how her relationship with the crew should evolve given their situation, the Maquis/Starfleet tension and the discussion of the difficulties keeping the ship running are great but also sad knowing it all ends up thrown out of the window.
It was such a wasted opportunity

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The real crime of Voyager and Enterprise is wasted potential, not bad episodes. Most are mediocre white noise and that's not helping but if they had stuck with the premise it would be more watchable at least.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been rewatching TOS for the first time in a while and I feel that we as a thread really need to recognize and accept that McCoy is objectively the best TOS character.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been rewatching TOS for the first time in a while and I feel that we as a thread really need to recognize and accept that McCoy is objectively the best TOS character.

https://youtu.be/5cSVuiOwvBs

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Unrelatedly I just rewatched the Gabriel Bell episode in DS9 and the form of ID that the rent-a-cops ask for in future dystopian hellhole America is...a universal health care card 🙃

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The most unexpected realism in those episodes for me was that in 2024, an unemployed white man who clearly owns and is proud of a fedora decides that the best way to further his life problems is to hold up a welfare office with the gun that, if I recall, he also brought to the sanctuary district from his last address.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oh no Chakotay is starting to talking about his talking to animals.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I guess this is the thread to talk about this, but yesterday I watched "The Inner Light" for the first time.

And when he started playing the whistle at the end I got teary-eyed. I've heard that season 6-7 are not as good as 3-5 so I'm going to guess that is most people's answer to the best episode of the series?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

I guess this is the thread to talk about this, but yesterday I watched "The Inner Light" for the first time.

And when he started playing the whistle at the end I got teary-eyed. I've heard that season 6-7 are not as good as 3-5 so I'm going to guess that is most people's answer to the best episode of the series?

Pretty much, it almost always tops fan polls.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

McSpanky posted:

Pretty much, it almost always tops fan polls.

It'd be the best episode of a lot of things.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GoutPatrol posted:

The new Picard series is taking a lot of poo poo but its theme song has a hell of a pedigree:

https://twitter.com/TrekCulture/status/1237359763698208768

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There were 5 lights, because Picard forgot to count the inner light in that scene. That's why the Gul was so angry

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Or the light reflecting off his head.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
For people like Captain Boday, the light reflecting off their head is also an inner light!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

GoutPatrol posted:

Honestly not being contrarian, but I do think it's a little overrated. I guess objectively it's solid, but doesn't move me all that much. I would probably pick "Cause and Effect" as the single best episode of TNG. It doesn't aim too high philosophically or emotionally, but it's just great sci-fi.

As someone who's not too far ahead of you in his watch-through (just started season 7), there's definitely a lot to look forward to in season 6, including "Chain of Command" which is another serious contender for best episode, particularly part 2.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 18, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think season six is, overall, up to the same standard as 3-5. There's a few episodes that don't really work, like Aquiel and Man of the People, but there's also plenty of classics like Relics, Face of the Enemy, Tapestry, Chain of Command. And a bunch that aren't perfect but are fun, like Rascals, The Chase, or Ship in a Bottle.

It's really only season seven that feels like they've exhausted all the good ideas and are relying far too much on 'never mentioned relative of the main character'.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

The new Picard series is taking a lot of poo poo but its theme song has a hell of a pedigree:

https://twitter.com/TrekCulture/status/1237359763698208768

Agreed, the theme song was the best part of the show

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The theme song also seemed to be building toward something interesting and then didn't.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sir Lemming posted:

Honestly not being contrarian, but I do think it's a little overrated. I guess objectively it's solid, but doesn't move me all that much. I would probably pick "Cause and Effect" as the single best episode of TNG. It doesn't aim too high philosophically or emotionally, but it's just great sci-fi.

As someone who's not too far ahead of you in his watch-through (just started season 7), there's definitely a lot to look forward to in season 6, including "Chain of Command" which is another serious contender for best episode, particularly part 2.

Agree. Inner Light and Darmok are excellent episodes but I think Cause and Effect is my favorite.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Here's a red-hot take: I always thought the Inner Light was a beautiful idea for an episode and Stewart is great in it, but it's brought down by all the Kataanian side characters having wooden dialogue and acting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just rewatched In the Pale Moonlight, and I think this might be my favorite line read in all of Star Trek. So much buildup to it too.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

Agree. Inner Light and Darmok are excellent episodes but I think Cause and Effect is my favorite.

My favorite is Tapestry, mostly because I liked finding out that prim and proper picard was a complete lad, notching on his belt, starting fights, getting stabbed. Loved the absolutely brutal scene where alt-troi tells him he's just not quite command material because he doesn't take risks and has no ambition. Utterly devastating.

For DS9, it's "Move Along Home", which is a legitimately great episode of Star Trek and if it was in TOS it'd be considered a classic. Also features the line "I"m not like you Starfleet people!" which implies Starfleet are the only organization that tries to problem solve out of dumb situations, it's nice worldbuilding that got carried over into ENT, where you find out the Vulcan response to weird space stuff and people going missing and very aggressive aliens is to just avoid those things.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 18, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Wounded, The Royale, and The Drumhead are the three TNG eps I consider my favorite, and all for completely different reasons. Drumhead has the best morality play, Wounded has some of the best character moments, and Royale is total poo poo but it’s goofy as gently caress and entertaining.

e: Also The Defector. Best guest role in all of TNG.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

For DS9, it's "Move Along Home", which is a legitimately great episode of Star Trek and if it was in TOS it'd be considered a classic. Also features the line "I"m not like you Starfleet people!" which implies Starfleet are the only organization that tries to problem solve out of dumb situations, it's nice worldbuilding that got carried over into ENT, where you find out the Vulcan response to weird space stuff and people going missing and very aggressive aliens is to just avoid those things.

Some fans hate this episode, and I don't get it. In terms of DS9 episodes, it's not one of the better ones but it's definitely not an unwatchable mess like Code of Honor or And The Children Shall Lead.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Wounded, The Royale, and The Drumhead are the three TNG eps I consider my favorite, and all for completely different reasons. Drumhead has the best morality play, Wounded has some of the best character moments, and Royale is total poo poo but it’s goofy as gently caress and entertaining.

e: Also The Defector. Best guest role in all of TNG.

in France they call it The Royale with cheese

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Some fans hate this episode, and I don't get it. In terms of DS9 episodes, it's not one of the better ones but it's definitely not an unwatchable mess like Code of Honor or And The Children Shall Lead.

Probably it gets added to the list of bad S1 episodes to pad it out.

It's nowhere near as awful as "The Storyteller" or "If Wishes Were Horses".

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

It's hard to say what my favorite Trek episode is. Cause and Effect I could put on any time any where because it's so great. The Inner Light, though I really have to be in the right state of mind to put on. In the right mood, it's incredible.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It legitimately has a reputation for being among Trek's worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

For the most past, aside from the episodes you mentioned, I actually don't think S1 is bad at all. Uneven, yes. But like Next Generation's first season, there are some hidden gems: Babel (which, of course, is relevant today), Dramatis Personae, Duet.