Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Interesting arc on the contrast paints. Everyone was super hype then kinda reversed course when the paints were available. Now we're back in hype land as people have developed methods for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dawgstar posted:

A buddy of mine went through some epic eBay adventures to get a couple and now strongly suspects plastic versions are around the corner.

Every time I think about getting three, I go to eBay and they either aren't available at all or my reaction is "You want how much?!!" :doh:

Hope you're right about new plastics on the way.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gameko posted:

Interesting arc on the contrast paints. Everyone was super hype then kinda reversed course when the paints were available. Now we're back in hype land as people have developed methods for them.

Yeah funnily enough I think the worst argument for contrast paints is often the GW tutorial videos, though they do differ. For example the one where they paint several daemons using contrast looks great, the contrast guardsman looks awful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

A buddy of mine went through some epic eBay adventures to get a couple and now strongly suspects plastic versions are around the corner.

I hope so, they're one of my favourite 5th ed models but I never bought one while thry were metal and I sure don't wanna finecast more than I gotta

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

It's possible gw would release something similar, but they're incredibly unlikely to take an existing model and make a plastic version of it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Out of interest do we think people are going to be buying the indomitus box set primarily for the space marines or the Necrons? I know obviously lots will be for both or will already plan to split with someone, but others will sell the other half on ebay.

I ask because a friend is buying the box set so wondering whether its likely he will see lots of cheap Necrons, or whether the space marine buyer will see lots of cheap space marines.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Marines are probably going to be the more popular side by virtue of marines being the most popular but I'm going to grab it for both. I have an old Forgebane box with the necron side unassembled and I hope I can kitbash the old warriors with the new ones.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Welp looks like the new edition coming down the pipe has sucked my friend and myself back into the grim darkness of the far future..

Are there any good resources on what armies/units can fight with each other (the soup lists that I hear about)? I am just going to assume that most of the current edition groupings will hold in that regard. The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to decide what army to start out with building, my picks will be based on the RULE OF COOL minus going Sisters of Battle heavy because my friend has already picked them.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

Welp looks like the new edition coming down the pipe has sucked my friend and myself back into the grim darkness of the far future..

Are there any good resources on what armies/units can fight with each other (the soup lists that I hear about)? I am just going to assume that most of the current edition groupings will hold in that regard. The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to decide what army to start out with building, my picks will be based on the RULE OF COOL minus going Sisters of Battle heavy because my friend has already picked them.

In general, you can combine any of the Imperium armies, any of the Chaos armies, any of the Aeldari(Eldar) armies, and combinations of Astra Militarum(Imperial Guard), Genestealer Cults, and Tyranids.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Marines are probably going to be the more popular side by virtue of marines being the most popular but I'm going to grab it for both. I have an old Forgebane box with the necron side unassembled and I hope I can kitbash the old warriors with the new ones.

Forgebane only has Immortals/Deathmarks and the Lychguard/Triarch, neither of which look to be getting updates . The AM half has the basic troops.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shadowed Bacon posted:

Forgebane only has Immortals/Deathmarks and the Lychguard/Triarch, neither of which look to be getting updates . The AM half has the basic troops.

Eh, i'll figure it out

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Giant Ethicist posted:

Looks real good, but man it's hard to go back to acrylics and blending and poo poo after figuring out how to make Contrasts work.
Great tips man, and amazing results. I'm already looking at my old citadel base / layer paints and wondering if I'll ever get a chance to use them again after this Giant Ethicist Pandora's box has been primed hahaha. I guess they'd come in handy for edge highlights on character/HQ models that need that extra bit of oomph.

Gameko posted:

I remember the same era and I hadn't really heard much to the contrary until I saw the results people had posted in this thread. poo poo is fantastic news.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Shockeh posted:

I wanna try this pre-wash Grey Seer gimmick on a Primaris, see what it does to Power Armour - Wondering if I thin the Nuln sufficiently whether it'll not pool on the flat plates.

I think it'd work - I've done Stormcast using the technique. You'd actually want the flat surfaces to be basically white, with a bit of shade on lower edges of plates and such, so even if it pools a bit you could kill any tidemarks in the drybrush stage. I'd also want to do (ironically enough) two thin coats of Contrast for the big plates, to control pooling.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I've had a squad of Rubric's kicking around since Kill Team came out,so i finally decided to give a shot at painting one. As much as i like the Deep Blue and Gold, i've been painting a ton of gold recently so i wanted to do some brass and copper and accent that with a lighter shade. I like the result and saw people were sharing 1k Sons recently.

I'm sure a bit more cleaning up and another round of highlights would be great but for 2 or 3 hours work i'm satisfied.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Booley posted:

In general, you can combine any of the Imperium armies, any of the Chaos armies, any of the Aeldari(Eldar) armies, and combinations of Astra Militarum(Imperial Guard), Genestealer Cults, and Tyranids.

Well that's, in general, pretty simple. Thanks!

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
So the 9e stuff has got me building some old Necrons I’ve had in the closet for a while; specifically the old “The Tomb Awakens” box, with some Immortals, Wraiths, Lychguard/Praetorians, Stalker and a Command/Annihilation Barge.

I’m wondering what the best way to build them is, though. I’ve not played Necrons since college before the Space Egypt revamp so no experience at all with the new units added in their second codex. Building the Annihilation Barge gets you an additional Overlord on foot, which is nice, but from what I understand the annihilation barge has been pretty underwhelming in 8th and that doesn’t look set to change in the new edition.

I was thinking to build it as the command barge with a war scythe and the Triarch praetorians instead of lychguard. Run the CCB up the board behind the wraiths (which look like bastards to shift with a 3++ save) and then when it gets stuck into combat deep strike the praetorians somewhere inconvenient to provide another melee threat to my opponent. In a pinch the wraiths and praetorians have the mobility for emergency objective grabbing but I’ll mostly be relying on a block of warriors and Tesla immortals for that. I’ve got plenty of warriors thanks to that old “Phase Out” rule the Necrons used to have. I don’t miss that bastard.

The other option is an on-foot Overlord with the sword-and-board Lychguard advancing behind the immortals, but honestly that just doesn’t sound as fun.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

More cool stuff painted by our Goonhammer contributors! https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-hobby-round-up-june-2020-mid-month/

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Shazaminator posted:

So the 9e stuff has got me building some old Necrons I’ve had in the closet for a while; specifically the old “The Tomb Awakens” box, with some Immortals, Wraiths, Lychguard/Praetorians, Stalker and a Command/Annihilation Barge.

I’m wondering what the best way to build them is, though. I’ve not played Necrons since college before the Space Egypt revamp so no experience at all with the new units added in their second codex. Building the Annihilation Barge gets you an additional Overlord on foot, which is nice, but from what I understand the annihilation barge has been pretty underwhelming in 8th and that doesn’t look set to change in the new edition.

I was thinking to build it as the command barge with a war scythe and the Triarch praetorians instead of lychguard. Run the CCB up the board behind the wraiths (which look like bastards to shift with a 3++ save) and then when it gets stuck into combat deep strike the praetorians somewhere inconvenient to provide another melee threat to my opponent. In a pinch the wraiths and praetorians have the mobility for emergency objective grabbing but I’ll mostly be relying on a block of warriors and Tesla immortals for that. I’ve got plenty of warriors thanks to that old “Phase Out” rule the Necrons used to have. I don’t miss that bastard.

The other option is an on-foot Overlord with the sword-and-board Lychguard advancing behind the immortals, but honestly that just doesn’t sound as fun.

It's far too early to say, as Necrons will be getting a new codex and substantial overhaul to the range alongside all the changes for the new edition. It probably doesn't hurt to google how easy it is to magnetise the various options. At least for vehicles that usually always worth doing as it covers you for changes between codexes, chapter approved and new editions.

Also if you're intending to get the new boxed set at some point keep in mind that does come with an Overlord on foot too, so how many of them are you likely to use?

xtothez fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 17, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Really warming tp the idea of starting a small-ish 500-750 point second army for small games with my buddy when 9th hits

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
just took me several hours to assemble - not even paint!! - seven plague marines. I'm probably slower than average but goddamn these are more complex than they were twenty years ago

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I really feel like you gottta be down for modeling to enjoy 40k. It’s a collectors hobby more than a gamers hobby.

With all this contrast talk I do thing it’s good to remind folks that you’ll need to play with the paints a little to get good results. They don’t quite behave like other paints.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gameko posted:

I really feel like you gottta be down for modeling to enjoy 40k. It’s a collectors hobby more than a gamers hobby.

With all this contrast talk I do thing it’s good to remind folks that you’ll need to play with the paints a little to get good results. They don’t quite behave like other paints.

I've only really been into warhammer for a year or 2 but my buddy that has been around it for probably 20 years is astonished that Iove the modelling aspect more than the painting or gaming and so on

I really find it really therapeutic to make up a batch of models, I just don't have the knowledge or the confidence to really go into conversions etc

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoy modeling and conversion, but painting is extremely frustrating and hard to make myself do even when I get decent results.

I'd definitely pay someone else to paint my assembled and based models to my specification if I were filthy rich.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Gameko posted:

The biggest thing I've found is that you can't go back and forth over an area with contrast, it gets streaky, kind of like if you play around with a wash on a surface. It just starts to dry a bit or something. I try and pop down my paint and just go in long movements without overlapping areas I've already hit. If the coverage isn't quite enough, waiting for it to dry and coming back with a second coat later seems to get better results for me. I'm definitely an amateur on painting in general though so I'm sure there's more to it than I'm getting across.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/17/overwatch-overhaulgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-2

And in today's 9th ed Overview, we're dealing with Overwatch. Which now apparently costs a Command Point to do.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/17/overwatch-overhaulgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-2

And in today's 9th ed Overview, we're dealing with Overwatch. Which now apparently costs a Command Point to do.

RIP in piss Tau

Edit: ok seriously after actually reading the article it's not all that bad. And looks like castling up in defensive terrain will be a "must" against punchman armies. Overall that's kinda cool.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 17, 2020

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Gameko posted:

The collecting part never really grabbed me. I mainly buy models I want to play with. Know people that buy models that will never touch the table, and while I respect people who have massive legions of 30k points, I can never bring myself to buy tons of models I'll never use. I don't have a backlog of things unbuilt. Unpainted, sure, but I can't even keep up with painting what I do have. :( Money is a big reason for this, but also I don't ever have the time to play games bigger than 2500 points as it is.

Maybe someday I'll buy the guys I just want to paint like Eisenhorn, Celestine, Abaddon, etc. :sigh:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
People will disagree, but I think one of the main problems for assault punchman armies in 8th was that they were too good at killing. If they got in, it was completely and utterly game over for a shooting army, which is why screens became so super important, the ability to charge out of deep strike and first round was nerfed etc., if you didn’t manage to keep the assaulting armies at bay somehow, it’s was a 99% loss. Not having overwatch on most units might be a bit of a rough time for armies that mainly shoot. Also in most of my games with non-competitive lists, assault armies did just fine, they weren’t particularly underpowered. On the other hand it’ll speed up the game a little which is good.

I think they’d do well to implement the AOS system of only one of charging unit gets to fight first, after that it’s you-go-I-go which special rules and stratagems and such. Especially with the smaller board sizes.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I really enjoy modeling and conversion, but painting is extremely frustrating and hard to make myself do even when I get decent results.

I'd definitely pay someone else to paint my assembled and based models to my specification if I were filthy rich.

I am the same I love putting poo poo together but painting is very taxing, still I've taught myself a few tricks and I've learned to be okay with not being perfect.

I think I'd really enjoying constructing and painting big dudes or vehicles though, never done one.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

xtothez posted:

Also if you're intending to get the new boxed set at some point keep in mind that does come with an Overlord on foot too, so how many of them are you likely to use?

Hadn’t considered that, good point- since Indomitus has the Overlord, cryptek and the robot-lieutenant they’ll probably suffice for any on-foot character needs.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

RIP in piss Tau

Edit: ok seriously after actually reading the article it's not all that bad. And looks like castling up in defensive terrain will be a "must" against punchman armies. Overall that's kinda cool.

No worries - the rule they mentioned that gives units overwatch natively, they will have in droves. They will be the "what overwatch changes?" army in 9th.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Deified Data posted:

No worries - the rule they mentioned that gives units overwatch natively, they will have in droves. They will be the "what overwatch changes?" army in 9th.

As someone who is going to collect Tau, they better not loving do this.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Deleter posted:

As someone who is going to collect Tau, they better not loving do this.

Sounds like the Tau rule will let them pick two units instead of one when they use the Overwatch strat:

quote:

You may find that some units benefit from other special rules that modify Overwatch as well, such as the T’au Empire’s For the Greater Good special rule, essentially giving them two-for-one Overwatch fire – a brilliant use of a single Command point!

Which is still good for them, and no longer utter bullshit like when their entire army got to shoot you multiple times a turn.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

xtothez posted:

Sounds like the Tau rule will let them pick two units instead of one when they use the Overwatch strat:

Which is still good for them, and no longer utter bullshit like when their entire army got to shoot you multiple times a turn.

Yeah this is the effect I want, it breaks the T'au castle up and makes it so you're less likely to lose friends of you pick the anime robot faction.

I'm gonna lose em anyway with a crisis bomb in Farsight but hey ho :getin:

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
From the wording of the article it sounds like Tau still have to pay a CP to overwatch and that will trigger FTGG for one unit, so they still get some kind of free overwatch but not for every unit. Still a nerf but at least it makes other Septs viable now? Very good for melee armies now though, can't complain at all.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
These Overwatch changes have me excited. I hated getting shot in overwatch due to "well i can see 1/16th of your model through 2 windows so the entire unit you're charging gets to fire overwatch" and since Orks die to a stiff breeze by the dozen, it would really cut their effectiveness in the ensuing melee. But now not being able to be shot through certain buildings, and only having to deal with a few Overwatches in a turn? I'm very happy with these changes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/17/faction-focus-chaos-space-marines-2gw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-4/

I should've expected them to do faction focus articles for more than just the armies in the new box.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Deathguard

I'm ready papa. I've been good.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Gameko posted:

Yeah it kinda figures. They’re new tools, so it was going to take a while for the community to find out what the best way to use those tools were; in the meantime there was going to be bunch of people yelling about how “this isn’t the proper way you paint, it looks bad, you’ll never improve this way!!”

But once people started to realize that they’re tools and not just shortcuts, I think most folks really came around on them. I feel like I’m learning about new uses for them every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Not really sure I like the idea of overwatching one unit once per turn. It basically guarantees you'll never have guardsmen using overwatch for example, because even if you're shooting at Hormagaunts a squad of ten guardsmen will kill literally one Gaunt. Can't see why I'd ever spend a command point to do it, which means the only thing that will even use overwatch in a Guard army would be, maybe, tanks.

I think melee armies needed a buff for sure but not really convinced this will do much beyond make overwatch basically useless for anyone who isn't a space marine. My Grey Knight Paladins will enjoy making 40 stormbolter shots sure, but my Guardsmen will never use it, which seems counter-intuitive. Surely the Guard, a very defensive army, would make better use of overwatch?