Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I had a Matrox Mystique. It was interesting because it was nearly as fast as a 3dfx card but had basically zero features. No coloured lighting, no transparency, etc. In Jedi Knight multiplayer if someone used force blind on you it just turned every other pixel on your display white instead of actually blinding you and slowly letting your vision fade back in.

I also had an S3 virge card which was neat but also commonly known as a 3d-deccelerator since games would actually run better in software most of the time, though wouldn't look as fancy.

Sadly the Diamond cards mostly had relatively boring box art with spaceships or airplanes on the front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

How about the Radeon X800 Zebra Dominatrix Furiosa edition?

at least this looks like a video game character

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015
yep looks like a Mass Effect 2 Jack fan art

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Froshty posted:

yep looks like a Mass Effect 2 Jack fan art

thank you lol, for the life of me i couldnt remember which video game character that reminded me of but taht was it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Someone put Nikola Tesla on a Nvidia Tesla box. But it as to CG. And he’s got to have super powers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I had somehow never heard of the X800 til now. Was it stupid expensive or just a flop? I bought the 9800 Pro when it was out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Statutory Ape posted:

thank you lol, for the life of me i couldnt remember which video game character that reminded me of but taht was it.

I was getting an Asajj Ventress vibe there

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had somehow never heard of the X800 til now. Was it stupid expensive or just a flop? I bought the 9800 Pro when it was out.

The X800 was the following generation of cards.

Edit: If you stopped paying attention after you bought your card you might have missed it. The Nvidia 6800 series was the better choice back then I believe.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pik_d posted:

The X800 was the following generation of cards.

Yeah, I know, I just think it’s weird I went with the 9800 instead of that, since it was out when I got the 9800. I didn’t hear poo poo about it in 2004.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

I was getting an Asajj Ventress vibe there

yeah, it's the same thing

x800 is just a slightly higher clocked 9800 iirc. x800 or x1800 are pretty nice to have if you need a decent card for a retro machine with agp, since they were the last and best agp gpus. i think ati ditched agp with x800 officially, but a bunch of vendors shipped some anyway. if you had an agp box, that might be why you missed it.

although i think the only reason to have a retro box with a gpu these days is glide/3dfx shenanigans, so probably not that relevant after all.

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 16, 2020

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah, I know, I just think it’s weird I went with the 9800 instead of that, since it was out when I got the 9800. I didn’t hear poo poo about it in 2004.

Guess it depends on when you bought it, it was hard to find some of the versions at launch. If you bought in early 2004 it wasn't out yet, paper launch or not.

Truga posted:

x800 is just a slightly higher clocked 9800 iirc.

It had twice the shaders. They took the R300 and just made it have more.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Truga posted:

x800 is just a slightly higher clocked 9800 iirc. x800 or x1800 are pretty nice to have if you need a decent card for a retro machine with agp, since they were the last and best agp gpus. i think ati ditched agp with x800 officially, but a bunch of vendors shipped some anyway. if you had an agp box, that might be why you missed it.

although i think the only reason to have a retro box with a gpu these days is glide/3dfx shenanigans, so probably not that relevant after all.
3850 and some weird mid-range 4000-series models were the last ATI AGP cards. I bought a 3850 AGP for my brother's system but the CPU (Pentium D 820) was so slow it wasn't any faster than whatever it replaced and I ended up reselling it. Probably would have done pretty well in an AMD system.

I had a x850pro which was a pretty killer upgrade to the 9800pro I had previously. It didn't unlock to XT unfortunately as ATI laser cut the die.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Truga posted:

Yeah, that was an AGP setup. It let me basically max HL2 so I was happy. I upgraded to a PCIe setup the year after that with SLI 7800GTX’s. It was killer when I was 17 and FEAR had just come out.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I believe fastest AGP card was a specific Gainward GeForce 7800GS that had a 7800GT GPU in it. Since there never was an official 7800GT AGP released, only the GS. I also believe that it sells for a boatload of money used.

On the ATI side, you had your choice between the 3850 and the 4670. Now the 3850 was slightly faster, but the 4670 has support for newer API’s. You had to get a weird special driver for the AGP bridge chip which I think rendered them useless for Windows 98 retroboxes, I think they were XP/Vista only.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 17, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Laslow posted:

I believe fastest AGP card was a specific Gainward GeForce 7800GS that had a 7800GT GPU in it. Since there never was an official 7800GT AGP released, only the GS. I also believe that it sells for a boatload of money used.

I have one of those. I should probably sell it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I still have a 6800GT that's new-in-box somewhere.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
New X800XT baby! Somewhere. Stalled Mac G5 project.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I still have my Voodoo 5500 AGP in its box in my garage.

Also:

Squibbles posted:

I had a Matrox Mystique. It was interesting because it was nearly as fast as a 3dfx card but had basically zero features. No coloured lighting, no transparency, etc. In Jedi Knight multiplayer if someone used force blind on you it just turned every other pixel on your display white instead of actually blinding you and slowly letting your vision fade back in.
I had a verite based card too... I think Creative Labs? It was pretty good, but the Voodoo 1 paired up to it killed it for sure.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Squibbles posted:

I also had an S3 virge card which was neat but also commonly known as a 3d-deccelerator since games would actually run better in software most of the time, though wouldn't look as fancy.

Sadly the Diamond cards mostly had relatively boring box art with spaceships or airplanes on the front

The Mystique was notable because it was superficially really fast, but - as you say - lacked a number of features which rapidly became very important. Among them:
* antialiasing
* mipmapping
* bilinear filtering
* fogging
* hardware transparency

Given that dearth of features - the chip was probably missing a number of blending modes too, my memory’s just too rusty - the Mystique worked about as well as it could have. For 2D it was enviable at the time; I kept one with a 3Dfx Voodoo1 in one computer or another for years.

The Virge had a decent feature set but was designed to manage software-quality rendering at lower resolutions, not to be brutally proficient. Layer on bilinear filtering, on-chip z-buffering, perspective correct texture mapping, and a full suite of effects, and it tanked. Later Virges were twice as fast as the originals, but by then S3 was making the most of a bad situation and trying to shove the Savage cards out the door. Which was its own saga...

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Thanks for reminding me that GPU tech advances has slowed so much.

Not a bad thing per se, like buying a top of the line card and it being trash months later because it didn’t have hardware T&L, or even just the wrong implementation.

I kinda lucked out and didn’t really buy dedicated cards til the GeForce2 era and most of that stuff was ironed out by then, thankfully. I guess RTX and DLSS2 are the closest we got these days, but I’m still waiting on the next wave of cards for better price/performance, and who knows when that’ll be?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

We joke but there are popular games coming out in the last few years with woman characters that look like this (fighting games anyone?) so we haven't come that far.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Squibbles posted:

i remember playing games on i think it was ati rage 128, or maybe the very first radeon. it supported features required for actually playing games, but not gpu accelerated fog. also, games often tried to use fog to mask max draw distance in those days. playing against people with better gpus was like shooting fish in a barrel it was amazing.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
In the end I decided to go for a MSI Gaming X 2070 Super. Will just wait for the second iteration of the 30xx series whenever thats due. It arrives on Friday and i'm super excited but i'll be monitoring everything like crazy after my 1080 went pop.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i had a friend whose computer couldnt render being under water in half life/HL mods lol

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Truga posted:

i remember playing games on i think it was ati rage 128, or maybe the very first radeon. it supported features required for actually playing games, but not gpu accelerated fog. also, games often tried to use fog to mask max draw distance in those days. playing against people with better gpus was like shooting fish in a barrel it was amazing.

Haha, yeah, I played MechWarrior 4 competitively for quite awhile around 2001 or so, and I recall there was a specific (I want to say ATI) card that simply didn't render the fog on that weather setting, so the people with those cards were effectively playing on a standard map while the rest of us were stumbling around in the fog.

I had a Voodoo3 3000 or something like that, so I didn't get that advantage :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Statutory Ape posted:

i had a friend whose computer couldnt render being under water in half life/HL mods lol

I remember that! Was that the ATI Rage 128 non-pro that did that? I have it in my head that that was the pretty common card that was floating around that generally ran like poo poo during that time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lockback posted:

I remember that! Was that the ATI Rage 128 non-pro that did that? I have it in my head that that was the pretty common card that was floating around that generally ran like poo poo during that time.

it may have been- the talk of the ati rage 128 is what made me remember my bud

E: tbh, 20 years later hes still my best friend ill ask him and see if he remembers lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DF did a breakdown of the raytracing effects visible in the PS5 showcase for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azl772uylh4

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Truga posted:

In the original Tribes, there was a cloaking device that turned you completely invisible for a short amount of time. The invisibility effect only rendered on hardware accelerated graphics, so people running in software mode would just clobber all these people who thought they were invisible

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

canyoneer posted:

In the original Tribes, there was a cloaking device that turned you completely invisible for a short amount of time. The invisibility effect only rendered on hardware accelerated graphics, so people running in software mode would just clobber all these people who thought they were invisible

That make me think of Gunz: The Duel where if you turned down the effects smoke grenades were easily seen through. So of course almost everyone played with effects low.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

repiv posted:

DF did a breakdown of the raytracing effects visible in the PS5 showcase for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azl772uylh4

Still watching. So both the next Xbox and PS5 will have AMD raytracing? I wonder how the AMD hardware implementation will be if Nvidia has any kind of patents on it and the performance per given GPU complexity compare to Nvidia.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Still watching. So both the next Xbox and PS5 will have AMD raytracing? I wonder how the AMD hardware implementation will be if Nvidia has any kind of patents on it and the performance per given GPU complexity compare to Nvidia.

Yes the XBSX and PS5 both have hardware raytracing from the RDNA2 arch. I'm pretty sure AMD and NV have patent cross licensing agreements to avoid the mutually assured destruction of trying to design around each others stuff.

That said there might be differences between how RDNA2 and Turing handle raytracing, e.g. PowerVRs unreleased raytracing GPU had BVH construction and ray binning in hardware, Turing leaves those up to software, RDNA2 is still a mystery.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Amusingly, I think a lot of the raytracing hardware patents may be owned by the Chinese government right now. Caustic Graphics were selling dedicated raytracing hardware a decade ago, then they got bought by Imagination Technologies -- who are behind PowerVR -- who are now owned by Canyon Bridge Capital Partners, which is owned by China.

Nvidia, AMD and the various PowerVR licencees have had fun patent spats in the past so I imagine there are some cross-licencing deals worked out. Patents in the space would also have to be quite specific since the base ideas are from the 70s so there's probably wiggle room to make your own sufficiently bespoke solution without infringing, or at least without infringing so obviously that someone will shoot you for it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol China bought out a patent troll? What timeline are we living in? Is Ghost in the Shell going to be a documentary?

That said I'm fully looking forward to raytracing GPUs with 1T of VRAM for VFX rendering.....in the home.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Not sure I'd call Imagination/VideoLogic a patent troll. They developed PowerVR from scratch and have managed to successfully iterate on it for 25 years. It's just that their push towards mobile GPUs ended up with them extremely reliant on Apple, to the point that Apple announcing they were going to drop PowerVR nearly killed the company and let Canyon Bridge buy them for cheap. Apple have since re-licensed the new not-PowerVR chipset from the now Chinese-owned Imagination, if you feel you want to be worried about something.

China have in general been trying to invest in foreign tech companies, supposedly to drive said tech companies to invest in China but I assume also acquiring US/EU patent ammo and the occasional backdoor. I guess this particular acquisition could also be part of an insidious scheme to seize control of the world's N64 emulators by acquiring the rights to MIPS.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I think the message was more "why should US based companies be worried about a Chinese patent when the Chinese give no fucks about US patents?" which is a whole convoluted political discussion, especially since PowerVR was a UK company and presumably would have had / has valid US and EU patents.

In any event, I doubt NVidia would have sunk this much R&D and effort into raytracing without ensuring that they're at least reasonably in the clear on the legal front. Even if they and AMD weren't, Imagination would effectively be considering a lawsuit against the combined financial resources of AMD, NVidia, Microsoft, and Sony, which I would assume would give them pause unless they were sure it was a slam dunk.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I won a Kyro II GPU at GDC by playing against some Quake3 mid tier gamer at a booth. All I had to do was survive a timer and I watched a few matches with other people ahead of time. So I hid in a dark corner and popped out every once in a while to shoot some rockets or whatever to make some noise so as to not give away the fact I was hiding my rear end. I won.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

I won a Kyro II GPU at GDC by playing against some Quake3 mid tier gamer at a booth. All I had to do was survive a timer and I watched a few matches with other people ahead of time. So I hid in a dark corner and popped out every once in a while to shoot some rockets or whatever to make some noise so as to not give away the fact I was hiding my rear end. I won.

wow u have no honor

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Statutory Ape posted:

wow u have no honor

But he does/did have a Kyro II GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002