Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
if its a :filez: copy of 7 you could get a windows 7 key for cheap as well and that will let you use the free upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

some <thats EQ baby> greenchat for everybody from 9AM on a Sunday:

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
That’s eq baby and toxic few (toxic 140 man Zerg rush) are the worst things ever.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So my girlfriend is really enjoying EQ. Unfortunately, the queue times are really ruining everything. Half the time her queue never pops. The other half the time, it seems like one of us crashes as soon as the other gets in. Or one gets logged out due to idle before the other gets in. We're trying to play together but that's really making things suck, but we don't really want to play independently. Then when we get in, it can be hard to find something to do, find the free pick, etc.

We found a decent small guild, Arat Erar, but I don't know if they'll be killing dragons anytime soon. But I also don't know how long we'll last.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I went back to Mangler, which I quit during Velious there. It's nice not dealing with the server issues. Population seems okay but I'm not sure how many are just Aradune refugees.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Come play on Rizlona. Plenty of aradune refugees and contrary to popular belief there are very few mage armies.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

How are the low level groups on Rizlona and Mangler? Aradune had tons of picks for Unrest so it was easy to get groups when you could log in.

I guess I'm done with Aradune queue times but forgot to cancel my sub. Might try another server if they aren't all soloquest from 1-50.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Aades posted:

How are the low level groups on Rizlona and Mangler? Aradune had tons of picks for Unrest so it was easy to get groups when you could log in.

I guess I'm done with Aradune queue times but forgot to cancel my sub. Might try another server if they aren't all soloquest from 1-50.

Yeah these queue times are starting to wear on me a bit. 40m queue at 9am on a Monday? Guessing a ton of people are using auto clickers now to stop them from logging off

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Aades posted:

How are the low level groups on Rizlona and Mangler? Aradune had tons of picks...

Rizlona won't have a thousand picks, but there are people to group with. The usual "exp highway" spots are always popular.

The majority of the server are 1-3 boxing. An awful lot of 1 and 2 boxing in particular. Most would gladly pickup a random LFG to join.

The solo players seem to do okay from what I see. Pick a useful class, make friends, don't be a jerk and you'll get groups. Everyone knows a real player is usually better exp/company.

I kind of think Rizlona is great for unpopular classes too. Lots of people run holy trinity classes so anything can add in. I personally grab any rogue/wizard/ranger/necro that's LFG.

It's not my guild, but there is literally a guild named Aradune Refugees...

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

It's difficult for me to understand just how completely hosed this company is. P99 runs fine on the server end, even with 2k people on, and that's run by a single guy in his spare time. Can't they ask around the office to see if someone has an old pentium III they can upgrade to?

The fact that 3 weeks after launch we still have a 3 hour queue, in the middle of the day, on a loving monday, is just absolutely retarded.

The least they could loving do is give crashed out players a few minutes of queue grace time to get back in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Philonius posted:

It's difficult for me to understand just how completely hosed this company is. P99 runs fine on the server end, even with 2k people on, and that's run by a single guy in his spare time. Can't they ask around the office to see if someone has an old pentium III they can upgrade to?

The fact that 3 weeks after launch we still have a 3 hour queue, in the middle of the day, on a loving monday, is just absolutely retarded.

The least they could loving do is give crashed out players a few minutes of queue grace time to get back in.

It’s actually a good question how crazy the codebase has become on the server end for eq live. I know they made it so you can compile eqemu for 64-bit. Also, eqemu was designed with code that emulated what was observed on live, so presumably stripped down from what the “actual” code is.

Regardless, I agree. They somehow how manage to mess up their one job every year.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i wouldnt be surprised if their entire team was half a dozen dudes maintaining an old codebase they don't fully understand like WH40k techpriests or something

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

milkman dad posted:

It’s actually a good question how crazy the codebase has become on the server end for eq live. I know they made it so you can compile eqemu for 64-bit. Also, eqemu was designed with code that emulated what was observed on live, so presumably stripped down from what the “actual” code is.

Regardless, I agree. They somehow how manage to mess up their one job every year.

The real code was written 20+ years ago by different people who had no idea how to build this game in the first place but often had degrees in computer science (which shows in how most of the systems interact)

P99 is a full rewrite of the classic code, might even be in a new language with better tools.

Also were not talking 2000 people, without the queue we hit closer to 4000 or 5000 just by counting all the general chats.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
is anyone in a guild on rizlona that raids on the weekends and needs more? would love to be mnk and switch to zerk when they come out and my brother would love to war. our entire set up is enc clr war mnk rng shm. but we are totally fine only playing one or two each for raids. getting alittle bored of fighting isekai for fgs and dartain droping 0 loot for us and would like to do vox / naggy / planes after we get the melee leveled up to 50. we leveled other jobs first so we could level the melee as twinks and we are steadily making progress we should be 30ish tonight i hope. if we stayed in sol a instead of exploring perma and mm we would already be 30.

Solarin posted:

dz stuff

thanks i was told nameds dont spawn in dz's this info is gonna help alot. i have one small question about aoc zones. if i had my bind spot at a spot near the name im camping in a safe spot in the real zone could i use gate while inside the aoc zone to go to it or would i go to the normal spot. i know how it works in normal zones and pick but i suspect aoc zones work differently and i would go to the real zone.

koreban posted:

HotKeyNet

i went with iso boxer its not free but it was easy to set up and i used win eq for free forever ago and was using it for free until the web traffic problems currently making GBS threads on it. im gonna try this out and see if i like it better. im also playing on one pc since rizlona isnt true box. so i dont think staggering the bind on each window will be needed if i do use it.

snergle fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 16, 2020

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

PyRosflam posted:

The real code was written 20+ years ago by different people who had no idea how to build this game in the first place but often had degrees in computer science (which shows in how most of the systems interact)

P99 is a full rewrite of the classic code, might even be in a new language with better tools.

Also were not talking 2000 people, without the queue we hit closer to 4000 or 5000 just by counting all the general chats.

This is actually kind of interesting to me-- do we know how well an eqemu server would handle that load of ~5000 players? When green got full and they had to make teal was that due to overcrowding or server instability?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

milkman dad posted:

This is actually kind of interesting to me-- do we know how well an eqemu server would handle that load of ~5000 players? When green got full and they had to make teal was that due to overcrowding or server instability?

There are a few things going on.

The servers have an "Exchange Server" this is what lets you zone from one spot to something else, aka your put into a request queue, your toon is saved to a main database (as a blob!) then saved to the new zone your moving into. This is currently the issue for having to many players in live.

This means if the exchange server, saving server, or anything else are at capacity then your done and queue's and zoning become very slow.

Next, at least in classic, you have the spawn cycle and small zone issues. Your top tier content supports only a few groups at once (perhaps 100 players) without going to picks. P99 won't use picks thus will never scale its player base past a single world. I see loving 38s in Hole because it's the only place with enough content to support player counts for example.

But getting back to eqemu, 5000 players would most likely have issues zoning and might have issues with unintended rollbacks as the zone exchange process is a single thread async queue system. Moving to a more modern decentralized system would require rewrites, better Database technology (Oracle or Azure vs MySQL) and a few other things at the same time. For example they are using some flavor of MySQL which requires downtime for garbage collection. The system will never reach a point where this would happen, more expensive DB technology can use paging and cache tricks to allow 0 downtime solutions, and even more modern cloud tech will simply have so much hardware that it won't matter.

Next would be the zone limits itself, As seen in zones like Gfay or Commonlands, 100 players already lag people due to the engine being more CPU than GPU already. Running wireshark on the network traffic shows that players are "expensive" in terms of network traffic as your often sending more data then the player would even think of knowing about and the range of that data is HUGE (with no z usage). This mostly means that the Chat server is going to slow down stupidly from all the additional traffic and that's ignoring anyone running side channels for raid tools etc.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

milkman dad posted:

Server wise p99 has handled I think there were 3k online at velious launch with zero issues. Zone wise they can handle about 300 before things start to go tits up. I've seen 400-500 in ToV and the guilds had to basically stop pulling because it was impossible to play.

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Goast posted:

i wouldnt be surprised if their entire team was half a dozen dudes maintaining an old codebase they don't fully understand like WH40k techpriests or something

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I haven't been keeping up on EQ1 news but have they mentioned anything about adding any new zones? ToV seems like it was supposed to have Sleeper's Tomb and I was half expecting it to be an anniversary zone

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
My guess is that the next full xpac will be part 2 of ToV, like how we got 2 Kunark themed xpacs back to back.

This is purely speculation, well have to wait just a little longer until they reveal this years xpac.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I hope so. I hear there are a lot of undead in ToV and I hope that carries over to ToV2.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Queues on Aradune seem to be alleviated. If anyone is on there looking for a raiding guild hit me up (Geebsy in game). We have a solid core of players (a lot of ex Triality members) but haven’t had a heavy raid force because of the queues.but that seems to be improving now. We’re focusing on taking down content via mechanics and solid play rather than 170 man Zerg rush style.

Edit: finally got a 50 toon raid force into hate and took down inny easily. Anyone who wants in on some raids HMU. We have a lot of hate gear rotting for melee/bards

rally fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 24, 2020

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

rally posted:

We have a solid core of players (a lot of ex Triality members)

Which guild is that? One of the guys on Mangler won’t shut up about Triality.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Honestly it feels like every single person on TLPs says they were in FoH/TR/etc (insert any sorta popular guild from back in the day). If I have learned one thing its either that 1) they are lying or 2) they were incredibly bad even then.

I try to tell them that their accomplishments in 2003 do not carryover very well to a TLP in 2020. Chances are if they are repeatedly flexing about their old guild, they are 1 or 2.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Maybe that’s true but I’m not lying. Rogean from P99 is also in the guild. Anyway I was just putting the word out if anyone wants a chill raid guild that is gonna clear all the content but not Zerg rush it, past member affiliations aside.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

FranktheBank posted:

Honestly it feels like every single person on TLPs says they were in FoH/TR/etc (insert any sorta popular guild from back in the day). If I have learned one thing its either that 1) they are lying or 2) they were incredibly bad even then.

I try to tell them that their accomplishments in 2003 do not carryover very well to a TLP in 2020. Chances are if they are repeatedly flexing about their old guild, they are 1 or 2.

This is the issue I’m having with this guy. I actually was in all those guilds, and I was terrible then. But I also was in Citizen and OGC in more recent history and I got waaay better at EQ.

Stepping into this mangler guild, it took until the second raid night for me to step in and take over raid leading, and we’ve been running smooth since, except this guy spouting off that in 2003 he was in Triality and it really feels like he’s trying to build up a set of accomplishments so he can go brag at quarken on twitch or some poo poo.

I’d love to give him some names so he can try and get told how unimpressive it is so he’ll chill out.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
I was in a Japanese guild back in the old days and I can say for sure that I did not know poo poo about the game.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

koreban posted:

This is the issue I’m having with this guy. I actually was in all those guilds, and I was terrible then. But I also was in Citizen and OGC in more recent history and I got waaay better at EQ.

Stepping into this mangler guild, it took until the second raid night for me to step in and take over raid leading, and we’ve been running smooth since, except this guy spouting off that in 2003 he was in Triality and it really feels like he’s trying to build up a set of accomplishments so he can go brag at quarken on twitch or some poo poo.

I’d love to give him some names so he can try and get told how unimpressive it is so he’ll chill out.

My go to is "no gently caress gives a gently caress about how big your neckbeard was in 2001"

We just recently had a guy join our guild on Selo and was talking in guild chat like he was the authority on monks in VoA because he was in (i dont even remember the guild he said) and he was a top parser. I tried to be nice and let him know "hey some things are different now, blah blah" and he continued flexing.

It may be a bit different for you, but I'll just tell him to shut the gently caress up and no one gives a gently caress. It's more of an attitude thing though, if you can't just enjoy the guild your in and have to flex about old poo poo then I dont wanna hear it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

FranktheBank posted:

My go to is "no gently caress gives a gently caress about how big your neckbeard was in 2001"

We just recently had a guy join our guild on Selo and was talking in guild chat like he was the authority on monks in VoA because he was in (i dont even remember the guild he said) and he was a top parser. I tried to be nice and let him know "hey some things are different now, blah blah" and he continued flexing.

It may be a bit different for you, but I'll just tell him to shut the gently caress up and no one gives a gently caress. It's more of an attitude thing though, if you can't just enjoy the guild your in and have to flex about old poo poo then I dont wanna hear it.

Nah, it’s literally the exact same thing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah but I'm Al Bundy and I scored four touch downs in one game in high school football.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I sometimes wonder if a raid group used to the more modern fights could tackle pre-nerf quarm with the old UI and camera

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

I sometimes wonder if a raid group used to the more modern fights could tackle pre-nerf quarm with the old UI and camera

Quarm is a joke, and even was back in the day. It’s a DPS race for the first 50% and then a controlled burn for the second.

The stumbling blocks in PoTime were always Tallon/Vallon/Rallos/Innoruuk.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

right but I mean the version eqmac had

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
It was a mercy when they shut that server down.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
How is it possible to flex about your guild in loving everquest? Where a man with a drinky bird, a kvm switch and 10 computers could complete all content flawlessly.

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

How is it possible to flex about your guild in loving everquest? Where a man with a drinky bird, a kvm switch and 10 computers could complete all content flawlessly.

Your average Everquest player (myself included) is not as skilled as the drinky bird.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

thetedster posted:

Your average Everquest player (myself included) is not as skilled as the drinky bird.

And people wonder why merc clerics are so popular.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

koreban posted:

Nah, it’s literally the exact same thing.

If you're an officer, tell him to shut the gently caress up, privately or publicly, I don't really know how your guild vibe is. It's annoying and literally no one goes "wow you're so cool" unless they are being sarcastic.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

FranktheBank posted:

If you're an officer, tell him to shut the gently caress up, privately or publicly, I don't really know how your guild vibe is. It's annoying and literally no one goes "wow you're so cool" unless they are being sarcastic.

It’s the guild leader.

I still told him to shut the gently caress up. When he didn’t I had a wizard give him a TL box.

He stopped after that, but I’d still put him in touch with Triality folks. Even if just to have them completely not remember him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

koreban posted:

It’s the guild leader.

I still told him to shut the gently caress up. When he didn’t I had a wizard give him a TL box.

He stopped after that, but I’d still put him in touch with Triality folks. Even if just to have them completely not remember him.

Send him to Dalno on aradune if you want. Our leadership is ex triality leadership but nobody flexes it the way you’re talking about. I just put it out there as a qualifier for people knowing what they’re doing generally. The name triality actually means nothing to me since I last played in like 2001 and I don’t think they existed at that point.