Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

christmas boots posted:

Hi, katana expert here. I know we’re having fun but I just want to clarify that this is a lot of times.

When did you become a katana expert? Like, down to the hour, as specific as possible, I would like to know if I was actually partying while you studied the blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

purple death ray posted:

When did you become a katana expert? Like, down to the hour, as specific as possible, I would like to know if I was actually partying while you studied the blade

I remember it well. It was at exactly 4:21 PM on April 20, 2012 when I finished defending my katana thesis. It ran a minute long because some dipshit asked me about wakizashis

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

christmas boots posted:

I remember it well. It was at exactly 4:21 PM on April 20, 2012 when I finished defending my katana thesis. It ran a minute long because some dipshit asked me about wakizashis

aw I was definitely at work then. whatever.

anyway whats up with wakizashis? is there anything I should know vis a vis tantos, or?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

thank you, katana expert christmas boots, i am unwavering in my commitment.

Actually, it's only a sparkling foldy sword unless it comes from the Katana prefecture of Japan

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
they're terrible. it's like katana's little brother that katana's mom made it take with it when it went to hang out with its other cool sword friends.

"wakizashi" is actually japanese for "stupid piece of bullshit are you loving kidding me". Very efficient language.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

I dropped it around the same time, and then tuned back in for the last book. I remember thinking it was super dark and didn't match the tone of the earlier series. Years and years later I went back and read the books leading up to the last one. Holy loving poo poo. Those of you who have never read the series, buckle up.

Leading up to the finale -- and again, I want to point out that this series is made for middle schoolers -- the main characters realize they'll need more firepower to win the intergalactic war. So they recruit a bunch of other kids, specifically targeting ones with physical disabilities, theorizing that these will be the ones the parasitic aliens bad guys will be the least likely to use a hosts. The morality of asking other kids to sacrifice themselves is discussed at length, as is the idea that people with disabilities are somehow "less valuable". Deep stuff for a 12 year old reader.

Then the time comes for the new kids to go into battle. Many of them don't want to, since their new animal-morphing power allows them to enjoy things in life they couldn't before. The Animorphs tell them tough poo poo, they're child soldiers now even if they don't like it. The new kids are ordered to act as a diversion on the battlefield, and they get loving slaughtered. The main bad guy explodes them one by one with his ship's ray gun, having so much fun (and describing their deaths in detail) that he's distracted enough to get captured.

Then the last book deals with the aftermath of the war. Exactly one character makes it out of the series alive; the rest are so racked with PTSD that they sacrifice themselves in a suicide mission.

I remember reading that the auxiliary Animorphs were the idea of the person who ghostwrote their introduction, Kimberly Morris. But K. A. Applegate didn't know what to do with them afterwards, so they killed them all off in the finale. I don't know if that's true or not, but Kimberly Morris does seem passionate about disability rights.

One thing from that book that's very Animorphs is the bit at the end, where Cassie stops her boyfriend Jake from killing his brother, who's been mind controlled by the aliens since before the series began. As a result, the aliens finally get the shapeshifting technology, and Jake and Cassie's relationship never recovers. But Cassie feels she did the right thing.

A few books later, at the end of the series, Jake has his brother killed anyway, and it's a big part of his PTSD after the war.

Also, rescuing his brother was his whole motivation for fighting the aliens back in the first book. The series didn't pull its punches.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh yeah, and his brother gets killed by, and kills, his psycho cousin that was the only one among them that loved fighting. I remember there was something in there about how she didn’t know what she was going to do when the war was over and she couldn’t go ham on some aliens anymore.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Inspector Gesicht posted:

HP Lovecraft: Racist even for his time-period. Died at an early age so we'll never know if he'd turn a leaf. You can easily adapt his work and shed the racism.

Especially in recent years there has been a number of good Lovecraftian works that not only shed the racism but take it down, put it in a messy headlock and rub its face hard all over the wrestling mat. For example Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys (survivors from the Innsmouth massacre are put in detention camps with Japanese-Americans, etc.), or Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff (Lovecraftian pulp cosmic horror, except all the lead characters are Black and it's the deep nasty age of Jim Crow; TV adaptation coming later this year).

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

[...]
edit: can we just change the thread title to something like "Aged like milk: media that hasn't aged well"

This is a pretty good idea.

The issue of old-timey rockstars being extremely open about their pedophilia back in the days when that kind of poo poo was still an inherent part of the whole rockstar persona to many people has been brought up in this thread before (at least I assume it was this thread; gross old dudes touching kids comes up a lot on SA). Many iconic artists have died with their image fully intact, with many eager to just forget that, e.g., Bowie hosed kids. Even the ones that haven't had the decency of dying yet, like the Rolling Stones or Iggy Pop (at least I think he's not dead yet) are still mostly revered by the public.

Which brings me to the specific piece of rancid-milk media I wanted to share with you all today.

Ma$e's I need to be, featuring whoever the gently caress Monifah is.
The whole song is extremely cringey, but the opening dialogue is just pure :chloe:

To wit:
Yo Cardan, come here, lemme school you to some poo poo
What up, dun?
Remember that girl you said was nineteen somethin'
Yeah I remember that shorty
She was not nineteen
Word! Yes she is she nineteen
Nigga I followed her to school that's how I know
Nigga I followed her to school you know I don't be into that
Dog, dog, she showed me some ID B, word up
Niggas got to jail for that
Lot a niggas go to jail
See you not a regular nigga right now

Then dude became a priest or whatever and people stopped giving a poo poo, so, in conclusion, gently caress Ma$e.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bk. has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Jun 17, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bk. posted:

The issue of old-timey rockstars being extremely open about their pedophilia back in the days when that kind of poo poo was still an inherent part of the whole rockstar persona to many people has been brought up in this thread before (at least I assume it was this thread; gross old dudes touching kids comes up a lot on SA). Many iconic artists have died with their image fully intact, with many eager to just forget that, e.g., Bowie hosed kids. Even the ones that haven't had the decency of dying yet, like the Rolling Stones or Iggy Pop (at least I think he's not dead yet) are still mostly revered by the public.

Ugh, yeah. I have an art history education (most of you probably already know that, because much like vegans, art historians can't shut up about what they studied), and was thoroughly grossed out reading this article this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jun/17/van-gogh-and-gauguin-letter-brothel-visit-sells-210000

quote:

A letter written by two of the greatest artists of the 19th century, Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin, about their visits to French brothels has been bought for the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam for €210,600 (£189,000).

The correspondence, previously held in private hands, has been described as “exceptional”. The two painters entwine descriptions of their experiences living together in Arles, Provence, with claims of certainty that their work is leading a “great renaissance of art”.

I just...I don't even have the words for this poo poo anymore. Reading about so many fancy lads running around loving indiscriminately and calling themselves the greatest king shits to ever live while denying that women/POCs had any worthwhile input on art (while rampantly ripping off everything made by anyone who wasn't them) has finally pushed me to the point of just being loving angry all the time. Thanks, I hate it.

Like, gently caress you, Gauguin, you stole all your poo poo from loving Southeast Asia, can we stop pretending the dude painting nubile naked brown people has anything worthwhile to say about art?

It was also fun when I was doing MMA, and had found a very POC/queer accepting gym where everyone treated everyone like a teammate...and then later found out our head coach was loving high schoolers when he was in his 50s. Like, can someone in this world not be a loving giant disappointment just ONCE?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Iggy Pop is alive and in great shape. I've never heard about him loving kids though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ugh, yeah. I have an art history education (most of you probably already know that, because much like vegans, art historians can't shut up about what they studied), and was thoroughly grossed out reading this article this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jun/17/van-gogh-and-gauguin-letter-brothel-visit-sells-210000

I just...I don't even have the words for this poo poo anymore. Reading about so many fancy lads running around loving indiscriminately and calling themselves the greatest king shits to ever live while denying that women/POCs had any worthwhile input on art (while rampantly ripping off everything made by anyone who wasn't them) has finally pushed me to the point of just being loving angry all the time. Thanks, I hate it.

Like, gently caress you, Gauguin, you stole all your poo poo from loving Southeast Asia, can we stop pretending the dude painting nubile naked brown people has anything worthwhile to say about art?

Pablo Picasso was a massive shithead by many measurements, but if I remember correctly he kept the kiddie-fiddling at a minimal acceptable level for an early 20th century great artist. His thing was abusing women and ignoring his own children.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Henchman of Santa posted:

Iggy Pop is alive and in great shape. I've never heard about him loving kids though.

Bad news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3n3k6XRQ8s

(Kidding, I can't remember anything about Iggy Pop's sexcapades, but I couldn't resist a Tank Girl reference.)

Der Kyhe posted:

Pablo Picasso was a massive shithead by many measurements, but if I remember correctly he kept the kiddie-fiddling at a minimal acceptable level for an early 20th century great artist. His thing was abusing women and ignoring his own children.

It's not always kiddy diddling, but there are a lot of abusers and rapists in art history. Makes a person want to invent a time machine and go hang with Artemesia Gentileschi...

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

there was a girl he married when he was 21 that was... I can't remember her exact age but my brain is telling me 16. that's the main one for sure that I know of.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DontMockMySmock posted:

Noooo, not Clarke :(

Please tell me Vonnegut is still cool.

kevin murphy, the longest running voice of tom servo in mst3k, has a vonnegut story

quote:

In 1996, the book, The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide (written by many of the cast members), was released, which contained a synopsis for every episode from seasons one through six, and even included some behind-the-scenes stories as well. In it, Murphy related two tales about celebrity reactions he encountered. In one, the cast went to a taping of Dennis Miller's eponymous show; when they were brought backstage to meet Miller, the comedian proceeded to criticize the MST3K cast for their choice of movie to mock in the then-recent episode "Space Travelers" (a re-branded version of the Oscar-winning film Marooned). Murphy also discussed how he met Kurt Vonnegut, one of his literary heroes. When he had mentioned the show and its premise to Vonnegut, the author suggested that even people who work hard on bad films deserve some respect. Murphy then invited Vonnegut to dine with his group, which Vonnegut declined, claiming that he had other plans. When Murphy and friends ate later that night, he saw Vonnegut dining alone in the same restaurant, and remarked that he had been "faced...but nicely faced" by one of his literary heroes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

luxury handset posted:

kevin murphy, the longest running voice of tom servo in mst3k, has a vonnegut story

gonna file that under "cool"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

hawowanlawow posted:

gonna file that under "cool"

In a similar vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6fx0gVQLjo

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

I looked into it to make sure I wasn't conflating the guy with some other old creep and now I wish I hadn't.
Very first line of this song.
Jaysus.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Bk. posted:

I looked into it to make sure I wasn't conflating the guy with some other old creep and now I wish I hadn't.
Very first line of this song.
Jaysus.

'Sable' was Sable Starr, one of the more well known groupies around LA at the time. Fairly grim reading.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I did an art course a few years ago which had a module on art history and about 99% of the teaching about Gauguin was about how exceptionally gross and terrible a person he was. The lecturer was extremely Not A Fan, it.was great.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

darkwasthenight posted:

'Sable' was Sable Starr, one of the more well known groupies around LA at the time. Fairly grim reading.

:stonk:

I uh... yikes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Like, can someone in this world not be a loving giant disappointment just ONCE?

Genuinely, unironically, no, I'm afraid not. Everyone and everything will let you down eventually. Don't mean to be a sadsack, but it's true.

luxury handset posted:

owns

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Always remember Mr Rogers. He was on tv, worked with kids, was against racism and by all accounts was a fantastic human being.

Maybe Bob Ross and like.. Steve Irwin? They seem like they were good too?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
There’s definitely been people trying to show Mr Rogers in a poor light because he advised someone to hide their sexuality. Steve Irwin gets poo poo for being an invasive species in his own right, because he handled a lot of animals that don’t prefer to be handled. David Attenborough can go on your saint list, maybe?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

There’s definitely been people trying to show Mr Rogers in a poor light because he advised someone to hide their sexuality. Steve Irwin gets poo poo for being an invasive species in his own right, because he handled a lot of animals that don’t prefer to be handled. David Attenborough can go on your saint list, maybe?

Mr. Rogers didn’t even tell the guy who played officer Clemmons not to be gay, and offered to find him someone if he was looking for something long term- he told him not to go to gay clubs because if he was arrested it would have gotten the show shut down completely. The actor doesn’t hold it against him at all, the people trying to show Mr Rogers in a bad light are basically just trying to find something to be outraged about.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Torquemada posted:

FWIW Clemmons has always been quick to defend Rogers

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Mr. Rogers told him not to reveal the fact that he was gay and that was 100% so he wouldn't get beaten and probably murdered.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's pretty telling that in trying to tear down Mr Rogers you have to silence the actual gay man in question and completely disregard his feelings and lived experience

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mr Rogers is like the Excalibur of milkshake ducking

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Torquemada posted:

Attenborough is a malthusian

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

purple death ray posted:

It's pretty telling that in trying to tear down Mr Rogers you have to silence the actual gay man in question and completely disregard his feelings and lived experience

Anyone who would try to tear down Mr. Rogers probably doesn't care much for gay peoples' feelings in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5JkzyGXJ2w

This poo poo still boils my blood to this day.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

Mr Rogers is like the Excalibur of milkshake ducking

In that whoever wields him is the rightful king of Britain?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

christmas boots posted:

In that whoever wields him is the rightful king of Britain?

He's a team of mutants based out of the UK?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

whoever gets dirt on Rogers will be able to establish dominance over all of SA

it'll be like "John Lennon beat his wife" times a million

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ilmucche posted:

Always remember Mr Rogers. He was on tv, worked with kids, was against racism and by all accounts was a fantastic human being.

Maybe Bob Ross and like.. Steve Irwin? They seem like they were good too?

Mr. Rogers wasn't really a thing down in Australia, but Steve Irwin is definitely held in similar regard as far as universal love goes. And if he ever had any skeletons in his closet, they never came out. Dude just loved animals.

He was also crazy enough that he tried to challenge both Wesley Snipes and Vin Diesel to MMA matches. But I think that's a point in his favor, personally.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Fun fact, subway cars in Berlin have screens that run trash news (celeb stuff and soccer scores or whatever) and weather.
They also run ads, and lately I keep seeing one for some 7-CD box-set of recordings from the time world-renowned pederasts Iggy Pop and David Bowie apparently lived together in West Germany.
I take the subway to and from work lmao :smithicide:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

He's a team of mutants based out of the UK?

The current incarnation of which is based off an island in the Pacific and only has one British member.

And Apocalypse is part of it. No, seriously.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AceOfFlames posted:

The current incarnation of which is based off an island in the Pacific and only has one British member.

And Apocalypse is part of it. No, seriously.

The emo teenage kid apocalypse or the actual "crash upon me, and be broken" apocalypse?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cleretic posted:

Mr. Rogers wasn't really a thing down in Australia, but Steve Irwin is definitely held in similar regard as far as universal love goes. And if he ever had any skeletons in his closet, they never came out. Dude just loved animals.

He was also crazy enough that he tried to challenge both Wesley Snipes and Vin Diesel to MMA matches. But I think that's a point in his favor, personally.

That would have been amazing, especially if he narrated the match the same way he did his show.

*punches Diesel*
"Ohh he's a grumpy little fella now isn't he"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nobody wants to fight a guy in shorts that short