Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

big scary monsters posted:

So at least Germany still has your back, Sweden.

Same as it ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Baudolino posted:

The swedish goverment seems pretty salty about Swedish tourists not being allowed to visit other countries. I do feel a little bit of schadenfreude.
Is that the feeling among the people as well, that you are being sligthed?
Money always decides in the end you`ll be allowed in most places in Europe by the end of the summer. A move i support for Norway`s sake. I feel really bad all the hospitality workers who are about to lose their jobs. Most them from EU countries where the job market is even more poo poo.

Only slight salt I've seen is from some people living in the areas that've weathered Covid better than Stockholm, like Skåne, Småland and such but at the same time it's nearly always accompanied by "But I understand why they do this, too". The governments reaction was just embarrassing, and it seems theres a fair bit of fremdschämen floaring around.

We'll live, so I just hope we don't inconvenience too many foreign folks while this is going on.

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 17, 2020

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'm alright with it.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Swedes rarely consider or take note whats going on in norway and denmark. Those who care seem to ok with it. Otoh few people seem truly worried about whats going on here either. Def feels like the pressing issues are over with.

Maybe we get slightly saltier when the finns get uppity/better than us? Havent noticed much of that this time around though

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Maybe we get slightly saltier when the finns get uppity/better than us? Havent noticed much of that this time around though

Only in sports. Though it would be fantastic if Sweden but not Finland gets shut out from sporting events and finns subsequently win all sports that Sweden usually perform very well at.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Zudgemud posted:

Only in sports. Though it would be fantastic if Sweden but not Finland gets shut out from sporting events and finns subsequently win all sports that Sweden usually perform very well at.

Curling?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Baudolino posted:

The swedish goverment seems pretty salty about Swedish tourists not being allowed to visit other countries. I do feel a little bit of schadenfreude
It's loving amazing TBH.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Only slight salt I've seen is from some people living in the areas that've weathered Covid better than Stockholm, like Skåne, Småland and such but at the same time it's nearly always accompanied by "But I understand why they do this, too". The governments reaction was just embarrassing, and it seems theres a fair bit of fremdschämen floaring around.

We'll live, so I just hope we don't inconvenience too many foreign folks while this is going on.

"Weathered better than Stockholm" is kind of a misconception. Stockholm is like New York in the US. The first proper hub of the infection but since zero real long term mitigation, isolation, and contact tracing is being done it just means it is the first.

Cases outside Stockholm are now picking up and I'm hearing concerning things about the situations from my relatives in Blekinge. It's the boonies so basically not impacted initially but from a few initial cases from people with holiday homes and business travelers you now have a growing number of cases. Now we're hit midsummer and the exodus to holiday cottages etc properly starts which is not going to help.

[edit] Basically, no one, anywhere, has "weathered" the Covid crisis yet.

Munin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 17, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Swedesstockholm rarely consider or take note whats going on in norway and denmark. Those who care seem to ok with it. Otoh few people seem truly worried about whats going on here either. Def feels like the pressing issues are over with.

FTFY
Sweden would have probably been a lot better off if we blocked the subway and bridges of Stockholm and turned it into a quarantine zone.
Or as my boss said, it is easier to recruit a Japanese from Japan than get someone from Stockholm to move away.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I said Swedes nåt skånians :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Munin posted:

"Weathered better than Stockholm" is kind of a misconception. Stockholm is like New York in the US. The first proper hub of the infection but since zero real long term mitigation, isolation, and contact tracing is being done it just means it is the first.

Cases outside Stockholm are now picking up and I'm hearing concerning things about the situations from my relatives in Blekinge. It's the boonies so basically not impacted initially but from a few initial cases from people with holiday homes and business travelers you now have a growing number of cases. Now we're hit midsummer and the exodus to holiday cottages etc properly starts which is not going to help.

Yeah. Look at Arizona right now. They had months of nothing much happening, thinking this was just some NY poo poo and obviously the virus would never really make an impact there. Now they're like three weeks ahead of where NY was when it locked down (as much as any American city has locked down), and they're in still the process of opening up while saying "you can't stop living". In a month or two, New Yorkers might very well start feeling like they dodged a bullet, despite how hard they got hit.

Of course as you say, no one has weathered poo poo yet, so NY might just have gotten a taste of bad things will get if the politicians decide nothing can be done.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Munin posted:

I should probably have added a "thus far" to what I said to make it clearer but anyway, I agree with you. I don't expect this to be over either.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Rip Finland, I guess.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1273320782576353280

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A mistake Russia has also made every now and then, to be fair.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Mooey Cow posted:

What the government is salty about is that all states are cooking up their own arbitrary travel restrictions rather than coordinating through the EU.

I think the states should cook up their own arbitrary travel warnings rather than coordinating with the EU.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Is Flam’s book worth a read (as I’m interested in the subject), or nah?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

teen witch posted:

Is Flam’s book worth a read (as I’m interested in the subject), or nah?

The one about Jimmie Åkesson's fake jellies and marmalade recipies? Don't read it.

It's a Jimmie Jam Flim Flam.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

The one about Jimmie Åkesson's fake jellies and marmalade recipies? Don't read it.

It's a Jimmie Jam Flim Flam.

Jimmy Jam you say?

(It’s the one about Sweden and WW2: Something about a cat)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

teen witch posted:

Jimmy Jam you say?

(It’s the one about Sweden and WW2: Something about a cat)

I haven't read it nor been able to find a serious review of it (most of the publicity is about that excessively litigious private museum protecting their dubious rights to the cat on the cover) but I doubt it. This is a topic that has been extensively re-litigated over and over again at least since the 1960's but especially since the end of the cold war, and Aron Flam is a comedian (of the sort that likes to complain about cultural marxism and that sort of thing), not a historian. I doubt he has anything new to add on the subject.

In my history 101 class at university we had an entire seminar on how to approach unreliable sources that used material from the 1941 midsummer crisis. After our discussion was done the professor asked us if we thought if the Swedish cabinet acquiesceing to the German demands was justified or not, and a pretty large majority of us did. She noted that it was interesting to her that the attitudes had changed back and forth between the time she did this exercise herself and now, and in her view it changed with the perception of foreign threats - this was a few years ago, so the Russian invasion of Crimea etc was still in recent memory.

If you want to read a book about Sweden in WW2 that takes a clear stand against realpolitik and government of the time, the original and best roast is probably Maria-Pia Boëthius' Heder och samvete from 1991. It comes at it from a leftist perspective, unlike Aron Flam, but like all historical texts that attempt to judge the actors of the past, it has problems. It also seems to be out of print, but your local library almost certainly has it - it was widely read and popular.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 18, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

A mistake Russia has also made every now and then, to be fair.

The Finns corrected them soon enough

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So now I can go to Denmark, which neither Stockholm or Gothenburg gets to do.
Lol, get hosed Stockholm.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Beeswax posted:

I've never heard/seen this opinion anywhere but foreign newspaper headlines fwiw. No one I've talked to feels slighted in any way. People just shrug and go "oh well, would've been nice to go abroad but that' s life"

All my mates are more like "go near an airport? gently caress no,"

Plus all the good tourist places are places where they worry about catching corona or get stuck during a second wave of quarantines.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 31 hours!)

Cardiac posted:

Do we get a say in the matter?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

Stockholm south of Gamla Stan is welcome too!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A right winger at work summarized the Alexander Bard thing as "that effing fbomb has a point"

Is this what acceptance looks like?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Potrzebie posted:

Stockholm south of Gamla Stan is welcome too!

Söder om Söder 4 lyfe

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Dirk Pitt posted:

Söder om Söder 4 lyfe

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Way ahead of you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

Söder om Söder 4 lyfe

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Woman imam Sherin Khankan lost her lawsuit against Naser Khader, Martin Henriksen and Marcus Knuth, because parliament refused to rescind their immunity. They'd made outrageous false claims against her in a letter sent to fellow MPs in an attempt to nix public funding for her successful anti-radicalisation program. Khader, her ex, once threatened to make public comprising photos of her. Just totally normal things for politicians to be doing and parliament is cool with it apparently.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

lilljonas posted:

Curling?

Eurovision.

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

Who's gonna care about not being "allowed" to visit Norway? People only go there for work. Pretty sure there are a lot more Norwegians upset that they still can't go buy cheap candy at the border shops, or visit their cabins or go boating.

I'm just happy the loving cruise ships full of fat boomers won't come this year.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A majority of Danes express that racism isn't a big problem. It is a major point of contention when a non-white member of parliament claims racism actually exists. The next day a black man is beaten, tortured and stabbed to death.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

A majority of Danes express that racism isn't a big problem. It is a major point of contention when a non-white member of parliament claims racism actually exists. The next day a black man is beaten, tortured and stabbed to death.

What are you talking about? There's no racism anywhere in Scandinavia. /s

Except against the Swedes.... drat no-good Swedes....

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also Paludan is going to jail. :toot:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SplitSoul posted:

What's this?

SplitSoul posted:

Also Paludan is going to jail. :toot:

Just a month, but I'll take it. Here's to many more. :toot:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

abske_fides posted:

What are you talking about? There's no racism anywhere in Scandinavia. /s

Except against the Swedes.... drat no-good Swedes....

Danskjävel

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THE BAR posted:

What's this?

Murder victim on Bornholm. One of those charged with his murder posted the dogwhistle "White Lives Matter" and cosplayed Paludan on social media.

THE BAR posted:

Just a month, but I'll take it. Here's to many more. :toot:

He'll have to toe the line for two years or risk serving two more months. He also lost his driver's license for a year, can't practice law for three years, and has to pay damages. I wonder if the cops will continue to spend hundreds of millions protecting his rear end when he gets out. Probably.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

He'll have to toe the line for two years or risk serving two more months. He also lost his driver's license for a year, can't practice law for three years, and has to pay damages. I wonder if the cops will continue to spend hundreds of millions protecting his rear end when he gets out. Probably.

I think I'll pour myself a nice dram in celebration :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The media is spending most of its time assuring everyone that there was definitely no racial motive when the guy with the prominent swastika tattoo and his brother beat and stabbed a black man to death with a broken bottle. According to the defense attorney police haven't even asked the accused if it was racially motivated. Nothing to see here.