Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Was Jason in a super bad place this whole time? I know there was Chad with his stupid never breaking weapons for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

weekly font posted:

Yeah you’re right why put weapons in the game at all? Should have just been a dang Dead By Daylight clone maybe it would have survived.

that isn't what i said, take your meds

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

The Shame Boy posted:

Was Jason in a super bad place this whole time? I know there was Chad with his stupid never breaking weapons for a long time.

I think you mean the EXCALIBAT

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dead by Daylight got their Silent Hill patch. Midwich is fun as a Silent Hill nostalgia trip, if nothing else. Also Heather has skins for Lisa Garland and Alessa. Legion has a Robbie the Rabbit skin, which would be awesome if it wasn't on Legion

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
You mean they gave the correct killer the Robbie costume.

Also if you do the generators in the chemistry and music rooms you open the clock tower during the end game collapse, although you don't have to do them in the order of the original puzzles.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
theres a sale right now and i only have the base game which is hard to find games in. what is the most active dlc if i wajnt to get a few for less than $10

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
DBD doesn't gate players by DLC at all. If you're having match making issues, you might want to wait for peak hours (or the upcoming crossplay update). Also killer queues are about to get worse since people wanna play PH.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

John Romero posted:

theres a sale right now and i only have the base game which is hard to find games in. what is the most active dlc if i wajnt to get a few for less than $10

You'll play with and against people who have all or none of the DLC regardless, so don't worry about it. As TGLT said there's no gating in DBD. If your queue times are long it's because you're a new player and queue times are bad for new players (especially if you're trying to play killer, and especially on a day when a new killer came out so everyone wants to play as him).

I like the new map, I haven't played as Pyramid Head yet but am leveling him up, playing against him feels fine he's different, seems strong but not overpowered, fun to be chased by as you have the mindgame element of him trying to hit you with his ranged attack around a loop and stuff. So far so good. New survivor perks are interesting, I need to play with them more to see some fun builds but I managed the adept achievement easily enough.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hell yeah, sale is on. Buying everything!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Pyramid Head is too op, his killer chase music is better so you don't hear the tune you've been getting sick of if you're a killer main, needs a nerf. :v:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Eh, been watching people like Otz not able to do poo poo with him. Haven't had time to try him out yet.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Boo, it seems the only licensed character actually on sale is Demogorgon. Is he any good? Keeping in mind my best character is Trapper, I'm apparently much better at mind gaming people than trying to chase them :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Boo, it seems the only licensed character actually on sale is Demogorgon. Is he any good? Keeping in mind my best character is Trapper, I'm apparently much better at mind gaming people than trying to chase them :v:

Demogorgon has a little bit of mind game going on with his lunge but that is in chase for the most part. :v: His portals can lead to a really nice level of messing with people and map control but they can also just be completely useless depending on the match and map.

Definitely one of those polarizing killers that you're either super into or not into at all, I think.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

Boo, it seems the only licensed character actually on sale is Demogorgon.

Huh?

They're all half off. Well cept chains of hate for whatever reason. He isn't licensed tho I dont think.

Edit: Or are you on another platform?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 17, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

PS4, yeah. That explains it

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think their sale was a few weeks back? :(

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Ha, yeah, Demogorgon is definitely hit or miss. Got utterly stomped the first couple of times with him. Then I stopped playing him defensively and just bopped between generators like I was a Hag who didn't have to wait for my traps to set off. Won that won handily. And then got stomped again at Midwich versus a bunch all overloaded on healing (the bane of my existence)

Also Plague is really funny. Grabbed one person, a second one sabotaged the hook I was about to plop them on and then tried to bodyblock me. So I dropped the first person, slugged the second idiot, hooked my original person, and then followed the slug around puking on them until I got bored and killed them too

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 17, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It sounds like you are playing the video game correctly.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I played a couple rounds last night and can't tell if this is a good game or not.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Not really, it seems fundamentally weighted toward survivors, who are also by most accounts on a constant state of Whinge that the game isn't easy enough for them. But it's fun enough to mindlessly screw around with and try to find creative setups with your Perks

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's fun enough but it's not a good game in a design sense. As other posters have said it's deep as a puddle.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'd put forth that survivors have it easier because the responsibility to win the round is spread among 4 people, where as the killer is the sole player to deal with all of the weight of winning the round and all the stress that entails. Objectively speaking when both sides understand how the game is played and have the same skill level, killer is by far the more stressful role to pull off. You just have to be so on the ball as killer, it endlessly amuses me when survivors use the word 'tryhard' as an insult in this game especially. Why yes, the killer does kind of have to try hard to win, that's correct.

And that's not to say that survivor can't be stressful too but that stress can be heavily mitigated by playing with friends, or if you're solo just moving on to the next match and trying again.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I’m still enjoying it quite a bit. It plays like a boardgame honestly. Simplistic with enough options to keep playing. I haven’t found anything to complain about it yet. Any more depth and I probably wouldn’t enjoy it as much.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 17, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think depth tends to be over rated in games to be honest, there's a reason people like PoE but only use builds they find online. Or just copy the builds / decisions of better / pro players. It's because experimentation and evolving gameplay just adds a barrier to the core gameplay loop, it creates a skill barrier (i wanna say floor, but you don't come up through the floor so w/e) where you have to be X competent at the game before you even get to really enjoy it or play it..

Then again, maybe I'm just dumb and am not smart enough to play highly tactical shooters, mobas or whatever.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Putting it another way, I like to think I'm lousy at both Killer and Survivor, but I can still make it out the door in most Survivor games just by staying out of the way, not flubbing skill checks and keeping a general bead on what the Killer is doing while I finish two or three gens on my own. Killer just has too many things and directions he has to focus on that one unaccosted, thoroughly mediocre player will gently caress him

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
A coordinated SWF of 3 or 4 people > killer > group of rando survivors is basically the balance, ignoring poo poo like getting a really bad or good map. A good killer will absolutely beat or at least tie a group of good randos barring bad maps. It takes a really good killer player using Nurse or Spirit to keep pace with a very well coordinated 4 man SWF. Arguably Billy or Oni would work too if the map's not terrible.

Unless you just bring iridescent head +infantry belt huntress and it does not matter who they are so long as you can hit a hatchet. Like maybe one of the Red Forest maps would keep you from winning by virtue of size.

Killer is absolutely the more stressful of the two roles though. There's just no down time. And a lot of what it takes to be good at either role isn't totally obvious, in part because there aren't a whole lot of other games like DBD so there isn't much pre-existing language for it.

Also there's a whole bunch of weird underlying design issues because the devs are basically learning the game as they make it. And they learn slowly. See Legion, the (probably intended to be) beginner friendly killer with a power that can only be balanced by being punishing (contradicting the beginner friendly design goal) or weak (what it currently is) and also actively gets in the way of beginners learning to play killer.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 17, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I want Evolve back :(

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

TGLT posted:

A coordinated SWF of 3 or 4 people > killer > group of rando survivors > swf of overly altrusitic goofuses

ftfy

Franky pretty spot on, though I'd say death survivor squads are a lot rarer than many whiny killer mains would want to make you think, and proper tunnel and camp killers are also a lot rarer than the many whiny survivor mains would want to make you think as well. Confirmation bias in this game is a hell of a drug for many people, and some of the issues from both sides are kinda because people came up with this weird set of rules of how they think the other role should be played. That leads to conflict etc and everyone starts fighting and thus the cycle of whining about balance begins again.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, coordinated is very much the key word. I run with a group of 1-3 other people when I play survivor and half the time we sandbag each other.

I think the game could really benefit from a post-match map replay. Part of the issue is you never really know what anyone else is doing so it's easy to develop false sense of how good you are and how bad every one else must be. The tunneling and camping complaints might (keyword MIGHT) go down if people can actually see what the killer was busy doing. Could also help people see where they can improve,

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

That would be loving amazing but I highly doubt they have a good way to implement it. The fact it would just be used as a way for players to attack others for how they're playing probably outweighs whatever /benefit/learning you could get from it.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

TGLT posted:

Yeah, coordinated is very much the key word. I run with a group of 1-3 other people when I play survivor and half the time we sandbag each other.

I think the game could really benefit from a post-match map replay. Part of the issue is you never really know what anyone else is doing so it's easy to develop false sense of how good you are and how bad every one else must be. The tunneling and camping complaints might (keyword MIGHT) go down if people can actually see what the killer was busy doing. Could also help people see where they can improve,

White Noise 2, which I endlessly toot about in this thread, has this exact feature and it's amazing. You always get to see where everyone went all match and it has little scream sounds whenever a survivor got startled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SaffronKit posted:

Franky pretty spot on, though I'd say death survivor squads are a lot rarer than many whiny killer mains would want to make you think, and proper tunnel and camp killers are also a lot rarer than the many whiny survivor mains would want to make you think as well. Confirmation bias in this game is a hell of a drug for many people, and some of the issues from both sides are kinda because people came up with this weird set of rules of how they think the other role should be played. That leads to conflict etc and everyone starts fighting and thus the cycle of whining about balance begins again.

Yeah, the good killers have ways of dealing with even good SWF. Of course good killers also generally do not think a good game is a 4K.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TGLT posted:

I think the game could really benefit from a post-match map replay.

If they had an option at the end like PUBG does that would be fantastic, really. Last night some survivors left a dude to die in the basement during the collapse as I was stalking between the two exits and I was thinking "They're really not going to let him die are they?" so I started to head back when he had a sliver from dying and as I got there they opened the door and all left. The after chat was "Sorry he was camping basement". morans

"Click your replay button. gg bye"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I don't think I quite have the hang of this game's grab mechanic. Might just be that I'm playing on console, but I had a match where there was one person left, I was standing at the hatch. Person rushes the hatch. I hit attack as they're going in (meaning not a lunge), but it does a regular hit instead of a grab, so in they go. This seems to happen completely at random when people are rescuing from hooks too, sometimes I can pull the rescuer off, most of the time it's a normal stab.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

DeathChicken posted:

I don't think I quite have the hang of this game's grab mechanic. Might just be that I'm playing on console, but I had a match where there was one person left, I was standing at the hatch. Person rushes the hatch. I hit attack as they're going in (meaning not a lunge), but it does a regular hit instead of a grab, so in they go. This seems to happen completely at random when people are rescuing from hooks too, sometimes I can pull the rescuer off, most of the time it's a normal stab.

It is no longer possible to grab survivors doing hatch escapes. Instead, if the killer finds the hatch first you can close it and force the EGC to start. The same patch they introduced the hatch closing mechanic they removed the ability to grab survivors out of it, probably to completely eliminate hatch stand offs.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And if I trigger Endgame Collapse via closing the hatch, that opens both of the doors (and vice versa)?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No closing the hatch just powers the doors. The survivors still have to actually open them. Opening the door does not open the hatch or close it..

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

With the question already answered, yeah. EGC from hatch closure is just a final chance for the last survivor and a forced ending to the game in a way that is more killer sided than not. Door placement and certain killers can absolutely make it impossible for a survivor to get out, I'm sure it's something like a 95/5 split for dying/living as a survivor at that point unless you brought a key and know where the hatch is.

By the way, survivors CAN reopen the hatch with a key if you close it as killer. This can screw you but also lead to some hilarious situations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, a lot of final survivors will just give up and stop running when you catch up with them if they don't have a key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Okay yeah, I really like Plague. Corrupt Intervention plus puking on the remaining gens seems to make survivors go "We're fine tanking puke with our face if we can still gen rush." Which, sure, run around in Broken all day if you want. I'll win that fight