Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
A guy at the gun club I go to is a surveyor for the Government. Part of his territory is the arctic.
They are required to carry guns when they head to the arctic because black bears will probably run away, brown bears *might* not be hungry at the particular time they encounter you and also *might* be in a good mood, but Polar bears just plain don't like you and want you to gently caress off by any means necessary.

Yeah, I know there ain't no black or brown bears in the arctic, thanks there mr/mrs wildlife biologist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

There was a case of a group of students from the UK camping in the arctic about 10 years ago and a Polar bear just walked into the camp during the night and killed one and injured others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Svalbard_polar_bear_attack

A lot of this seems to be because their hunting grounds are being depleted and will only get worse if countries start drilling.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Elviscat posted:

Yo, what'd you do to get that sweet AV I bought you removed?

First off, thank you for that AV. Second, I ran into a nazi in the riot thread who decided to keep changing my av again and again, so here we are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BigPaddy posted:

A lot of this seems to be because their hunting grounds are being depleted and will only get worse if countries start drilling.

Yeah drilling operations have bear cages on their exits. Meaning if you open up a door to walk outside at least there is a cage outside so you can poo poo yourself and live.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ranbo das posted:

There's a rhyme about bears to tell you what to do if you encounter one.
If it's black, fight back
If it's brown, lay down
If it's white kiss your rear end goodnight

tl;dr don't gently caress with polar bears

This is more for the mechanical success thread, but this bear is denied a reporter snack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJra0fcMsVU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even where they have habitat polar bears are known to be extremely aggressive. That far north they hunt everything that moves because almost nothing is moving.

Once heard a story that researchers that visit the Svalbard islands hear "how accurate with a rifle are you?" as the main interview question because no one wants to have to rely on someone who can't shoot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Proper way to deal with bears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_pVrIshxA

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My mom's family was camping in glacier national park on the night of the grizzlies and a black bear pushed its way into their tent. Grandpa picked up a cast iron pan and smacked it in the nose. No maulings, bear ran off.

So that's another way to deal with bears.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

xzzy posted:

Even where they have habitat polar bears are known to be extremely aggressive. That far north they hunt everything that moves because almost nothing is moving.

Once heard a story that researchers that visit the Svalbard islands hear "how accurate with a rifle are you?" as the main interview question because no one wants to have to rely on someone who can't shoot.

FWIW, they even made Survivorman carry a rifle when he did his episode in the high arctic.

Of course, Bear Gryllzzzz would probably start sucking a polar bear's funky rear end.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LifeSunDeath posted:

First off, thank you for that AV. Second, I ran into a nazi in the riot thread who decided to keep changing my av again and again, so here we are.

:sad:

If you want the image at any point I have the file still.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Elviscat posted:

:sad:

If you want the image at any point I have the file still.

nothing matters anymore, it turns out. thanks though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

xzzy posted:

My mom's family was camping in glacier national park on the night of the grizzlies and a black bear pushed its way into their tent. Grandpa picked up a cast iron pan and smacked it in the nose. No maulings, bear ran off.

So that's another way to deal with bears.

When I was a kid we were camping in Banff and there was a dog at the campground sniffing around all the time. Fast forward to the early morning hours, family was sleeping (in a tent) and dad heard the dog. Unzipped the fly and backhanded it. It wasn't a dog.

Bear hosed off and never had another occasion for the rest of the week we were there.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A couple years ago i got charged by a black bear with cubs and yelled at it and it stopped, so that's an option sometimes. Have also had my loud mtb brakes scare a bear away on two occasions that I know of. A number of other times they've just ignored me/us and continued eating berries in the bushes. The other day I saw a bear and actually had bear spray in my frame bag. Heard rustling in the bushes above me on a road, look back, and a bear comes down on the road, then runs off the other way. That made 3 sightings in a week.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Maybe a bit more thread appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

Also some problems take care of themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kjY9sKdHlY

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

This is the most Canadian thing I have ever seen. :canada:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Went to change these nasty bushings just above the rotor

And saw the shock wasn't mounted flush to the bracket

So off it came, too.

:bang:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

jamal posted:

A couple years ago i got charged by a black bear with cubs and yelled at it and it stopped, so that's an option sometimes. Have also had my loud mtb brakes scare a bear away on two occasions that I know of. A number of other times they've just ignored me/us and continued eating berries in the bushes. The other day I saw a bear and actually had bear spray in my frame bag. Heard rustling in the bushes above me on a road, look back, and a bear comes down on the road, then runs off the other way. That made 3 sightings in a week.

I saw a documentary on TV the other day about a fisherman who lives in a remote area of north Japan who is pretty much constantly surrounded by bears but he's learned how to yell at them right so they leave him alone.

(Japanese but you get the idea)
https://www.facebook.com/NHKhuman/videos/378629662726792

Then some people from Unesco turn up and try to tell the guy to stop interacting with nature because humans are unnatural despite him interacting with the bears in an entirely natural and non-destructive manner while the Unesco group turned up in a convoy of 8 minivans.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

ranbo das posted:

There's a rhyme about bears to tell you what to do if you encounter one.
If it's black, fight back
If it's brown, lay down
If it's white kiss your rear end goodnight

tl;dr don't gently caress with polar bears

When I was traveling around Svalbard it was legally required to carry a gun, I think a .30-06 was the smallest gun that was legal. I carried a .45-70 carbine because yea... Don't gently caress with the white ones. I saw a few, fortunately never had an altercation.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

RillAkBea posted:

I saw a documentary on TV the other day about a fisherman who lives in a remote area of north Japan who is pretty much constantly surrounded by bears but he's learned how to yell at them right so they leave him alone.

(Japanese but you get the idea)
https://www.facebook.com/NHKhuman/videos/378629662726792

Then some people from Unesco turn up and try to tell the guy to stop interacting with nature because humans are unnatural despite him interacting with the bears in an entirely natural and non-destructive manner while the Unesco group turned up in a convoy of 8 minivans.

Timothy Treadwell interacted with bears in a pretty non-destructive manner. Until the bears decided to be destructive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

No. 6 posted:

It was a prank by a guy who's a giant prick

And also over a decade old.

Wasabi the J posted:

We killed the bears into less numbers than a single spiders nest.

:smith:

Also bears never fall the gently caress out of random poo poo.

What about drop bears?

joat mon posted:

Went to change these nasty bushings just above the rotor

And saw the shock wasn't mounted flush to the bracket

So off it came, too.

:bang:

That is the weirdest drat suspension I've ever seen. For one thing, it took me quite some time to realize the "shock" you were talking about was that hosed up thing at the top that the equally hosed up control arm pivots on.
I'm going to guess: French?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I guess this is from before whenever Canada's version of OSHA was formed?

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

wesleywillis posted:

Timothy Treadwell interacted with bears in a pretty non-destructive manner. Until the bears decided to be destructive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

the Herzog documentary about him is really fantastic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

snugglz posted:

Herzog                        is really fantastic

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Darchangel posted:

That is the weirdest drat suspension I've ever seen. For one thing, it took me quite some time to realize the "shock" you were talking about was that hosed up thing at the top that the equally hosed up control arm pivots on.
I'm going to guess: French?

:britain:
Most cars, including from the US, from the 30s to the 50s had them, but England held onto them a little longer than everyone else.
Rolls/Bentley used them into the late 60s, as did Austin Healey. Aston Martin kept them in the rear suspension into the 70s, and MG kept them till 1980. Saab also used them into the mid 70s.

Finger sander didn't do squat, but a hacksaw blade and a file worked well but slowly.

Fast forward six months and a few hundred miles:

That's not good.

Apparently the weld boogers were the only things holding the front bolts in

The rear bolts kept the shock down for an impressively long time.

Which was unfortunately not without its side effects.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Was gonna say those look like some doofus welded bolts into the craters. That can't be factory, right? It was supposed to be weldnuts or studs from below but they got broken off and someone fixed it wrong?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus, knee-action shocks. Holy poo poo

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I was subscribed to this channel (probably from one of the AI chat thread YT sub exchanges) but I have only just now started watching some of the videos. As someone who firmly believes automatic transmissions are black magic, this kind of stuff is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiV3cUG2N-o

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

kastein posted:

Was gonna say those look like some doofus welded bolts into the craters. That can't be factory, right? It was supposed to be weldnuts or studs from below but they got broken off and someone fixed it wrong?

Factory is weldnuts under the plate. The welded in bolts are 100% doofus PO/PM.

PainterofCrap posted:

Jesus, knee-action shocks. Holy poo poo
That's nothing, design-wise.

In the foreground is the brake drum, making the tube running foreground to background the rear axle. At center left is another lever shock, mounted to one of the frame rails, running left to right.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Beach Bum posted:

I was subscribed to this channel (probably from one of the AI chat thread YT sub exchanges) but I have only just now started watching some of the videos. As someone who firmly believes automatic transmissions are black magic, this kind of stuff is awesome.

Jesus, how many 4L60s you think that guy's torn down?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Watched a couple of those and he is the talking and driving car journalist of the transmission world.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I watched a rebuild video of a 700r4 a while back I think on Eric the Car guys channel and it looked a lot less scary than I thought. I have one that I've had for years and I might try rebuilding it with parts that would allow it to handle 800ftlbs of torque or something like that just to learn and hopefully have a stout auto with OD for a project if I get it right.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

joat mon posted:

:britain:
Most cars, including from the US, from the 30s to the 50s had them, but England held onto them a little longer than everyone else.
Rolls/Bentley used them into the late 60s, as did Austin Healey. Aston Martin kept them in the rear suspension into the 70s, and MG kept them till 1980. Saab also used them into the mid 70s.

Finger sander didn't do squat, but a hacksaw blade and a file worked well but slowly.

Fast forward six months and a few hundred miles:

That's not good.

Apparently the weld boogers were the only things holding the front bolts in

The rear bolts kept the shock down for an impressively long time.

Which was unfortunately not without its side effects.

I should have guessed MG - I've actually worked on one, but it's been a long while. I forgot how, uh, old world those were right on up to the end.
I'm also amused that the front tire is worn on the outside, but leaning to the inside.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

This guy looked awful familiar. Turns out, he's the guy my brother goes to for transmission work. If you're near Amarillo, I definitely recommend doing business with this guy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I watched the teardown and then 2 rebuild videos of the th-350 and that dude definitely seems to know his poo poo. Makes me want to tear mine apart when I yank it for the final time. He definitely takes some of the scariness out of it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Beach Bum posted:

Is this the guy that writes book times for services?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I started that video and got completely sucked into it. I love how he just tossed and slides everything around. And that table!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dave Inc. posted:

Is this the guy that writes book times for services?

This is the guy that demolishes the book times for services.

He ran out of toilet paper years ago and has been wiping his rear end with factory service manuals ever since.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 18, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is the guy that demolishes the book times for services.

He ran out of toilet paper years ago and has been wiping his rear end with factory service manuals ever since.

As authors are usually granted a complimentary copy, I can see how he would never run out.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 18, 2020

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Not necessarily a mechanical failure but this guy was having a bad Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Steve French posted:

Not necessarily a mechanical failure but this guy was having a bad Monday

drat, what do you even do, dig it out?