Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

PST posted:

I mean, after posting a (hastily deleted) all lives matter posts, publishing mechanically incentivised child abuse, continuing to go with 'cop lives matter' ap, ignoring the sexual harassment of her staff and the sexual assault of other people at her conventions, trying to cover all of the above up and get employees and contractors to cover for it, she clearly needs her retirement.
Also, her husband was verbally abusive to employees. Let's not forget that part either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but I think it's optimistic to assume any of that factored into her departure.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

JackMann posted:

Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but I think it's optimistic to assume any of that factored into her departure.
I don't think anyone is saying that.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I have to inform you that Greg Stolze is still a consummate professional dedicated to making the game world a better place.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Zurui posted:

I have to inform you that Greg Stolze is still a consummate professional dedicated to making the game world a better place.

I literally have an Unknown Armies tattoo, you're not allowed to scare me like that

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zurui posted:

Is there a particular sex pest RPG company staffer that he's subtweeting? Or is this more aimed at the large, undifferentiated mass of RPG company sex pests?

vvvv e: Ah, that makes sense. There have been a number of high-profile comic creators accused of being creeps lately (Warren Ellis and Cameron Stewart among them).

FMguru fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 17, 2020

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

FMguru posted:

Is there a particular sex pest RPG company staffer that he's subtweeting? Or is this more aimed at the large, undifferentiated mass of RPG company sex pests?

I think this one is about comics right now actually

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FMguru posted:

There's been a fresh round of discourse around men and especially male guests at comic and gaming conventions acting inappropriate, creepy, or straight up assaulting women. Also a related discourse about adult men in comics grooming and flirting with underage fans or generally making spaces unsafe for non-cis men in comics.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It's a bit of both, as substantial accusations against Warren Ellis and Cam Stewart dropped today in addition to the resurfacing of "Zak is a loving creep" (who apparently used to run private games in his hotel room with fans).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh no, not Ellis, I liked Ellis. :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Never have favs

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The accusations against Ellis are less extreme than Stewart but yeah Ellis doesn’t look great from this, he seems to have been an rear end in a top hat to women entering the comics space and I learned the term ‘bluebeard’ in a non-murder context. It’s not a huge shock (his blog used to post surprise images of extreme penile body mods occasionally, he definitely has the kind of libertine sensibility that crosses boundaries for fun) but it’s a disappointing surprise.

I will point out that the women accusing him of being an rear end in a top hat are also saying ‘don’t cancel him’ and ‘I’m still fond of him’ so I don’t feel like I need to reject Transmetropolitan and all its works, but it’s still a gut punch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Slowboat posted:

The accusations against Ellis are less extreme than Stewart but yeah Ellis doesn’t look great from this, he seems to have been an rear end in a top hat to women entering the comics space and I learned the term ‘bluebeard’ in a non-murder context. It’s not a huge shock (his blog used to post surprise images of extreme penile body mods occasionally, he definitely has the kind of libertine sensibility that crosses boundaries for fun) but it’s a disappointing surprise.

I will point out that the women accusing him of being an rear end in a top hat are also saying ‘don’t cancel him’ and ‘I’m still fond of him’ so I don’t feel like I need to reject Transmetropolitan and all its works, but it’s still a gut punch.

Ellis has always been, at the best, sketchy towards women. On his forum there was the infamous thing where he'd only make women mods and called them, like, his sexy deadly henchwomen or something.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Ellis is the least surprising of all, his writing is basically a confession.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, much as I loved Warren Ellis' assorted works, I find myself wearily resigned to discover that he's a sex pest rather than shocked.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"Habitually an rear end in a top hat and bad partner" is a far cry from "habitually predatory towards young women", but yeah it's not a good look for Ellis.

Stewart can gently caress off forever though

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dawgstar posted:

Ellis has always been, at the best, sketchy towards women. On his forum there was the infamous thing where he'd only make women mods and called them, like, his sexy deadly henchwomen or something.

Well that’s information I both wish I’d already had and find unpleasant to know.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, much as I loved Warren Ellis' assorted works, I find myself wearily resigned to discover that he's a sex pest rather than shocked.

same I love Ellis stuff but as the metoo movement began to expand to more niche things like comics I was just waiting for 'yep, Ellis is a creep' to be confirmed. I was hoping he was better than my lowest assumptions about him but welp.

Dexo posted:

Never have favs

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The amount of times I've run into that poo poo in old RPGs, all "I love women more than anyone! That's why I dub them my sexy battle babies!" and poo poo is only slightly less appalling that how easily it seems to work on everyone.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Froghammer posted:

"Habitually an rear end in a top hat and bad partner" is a far cry from "habitually predatory towards young women", but yeah it's not a good look for Ellis.

Stewart can gently caress off forever though

Yeah, the stuff about Ellis is unfortunate but unsurprising. The stuff against Cameron Stewart is a whole other level. Especially someone who has done so much work focused on young female characters and fans... Which makes a really gross amount of sense now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theironjef posted:

The amount of times I've run into that poo poo in old RPGs, all "I love women more than anyone! That's why I dub them my sexy battle babies!" and poo poo is only slightly less appalling that how easily it seems to work on everyone.

too many people think 'randy old man' is a genuinely charming affectation and not one that people will put up with as long as you keep your hands to yourself.

Unless you go full uber sex positive where you just wanna see everyone who wants to be fuckin having a good time, hedonism bot is the one good randy old man.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

sexpig by night posted:

too many people think 'randy old man' is a genuinely charming affectation and not one that people will put up with as long as you keep your hands to yourself.

Unless you go full uber sex positive where you just wanna see everyone who wants to be fuckin having a good time, hedonism bot is the one good randy old man.

It's definitely part horny old, but also part "I can get away with whatever I want to do in my portrayal of women as long as I call them queens often enough." You know all "I love women so much I can't help but draw or describe them exclusively as big-titty chainmail turbo warriors, but hashtag slay am I right?"

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 17, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Actually charming horny old dudes are primarily at social gatherings for other old horny people.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

theironjef posted:

It's definitely part horny old, but also part "I can get away with whatever I want to do in my portrayal of women as long as I call them queens often enough." You know all "I love women so much I can't help but draw or describe them exclusively as big-titty chainmail turbo warriors, but hashtag slay am I right?"

:mrapig: I just love their hearts. Big, beautiful, soft, bouncing hearts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

It reminds me of C.A. Sulemain's terrible "apology" letter, where he claimed to love women (he has a mother! And sisters!) so much he almost couldn't help try and seduce them.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Zurui posted:

It's a bit of both, as substantial accusations against Warren Ellis and Cam Stewart dropped today in addition to the resurfacing of "Zak is a loving creep" (who apparently used to run private games in his hotel room with fans).
What's the new details about Zak? Always good to have receipts handy when his defenders resurface.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Warthur posted:

What's the new details about Zak? Always good to have receipts handy when his defenders resurface.

The original tweets were deeply divisive even before Baron von Pantshitten showed up at have since been deleted, but here is a relatively even-handed summary.

Edit: However, the criticism of the original thread to "not make waves" was written with the unfortunate implication that you shouldn't call out missing stairs or toxic elements, and people (including me) are pretty upset about that idea being so pervasive even in subtext.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 18, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I do think it's good of Stolze to outline what to expect from him in a social encounter because it gives people something to hold him accountable to while also helping him put pre-emptive boundaries out there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/diversity-and-dnd

Oh hey.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

quote:

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:

Find "We have fired Mike Mearls." ... 0 results.

Okay then.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.

lol

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
I actually think the Ancestries & Cultures release by Arcanist Press should probably just be used instead. Check it out here .

Took them 2 months compared to however many years for WotC.

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 18, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oh, neat. Going to block quote this for future reference:

quote:

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:

We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.

When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.

Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.

We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.

We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.

And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

I'm glad they're doing something substantive about the Vistani and committing to taking on sensitivity readers, and I hope that it helps with future products. Nice of them to come around to almost the same conclusion 4e had about racial bonuses again.

Now do away with alignment for real, cowards.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Gray Ghost posted:

I actually think the Ancestries & Cultures release by Arcanist Press should probably just be used instead. Check it out here .

Took them 2 months compared to however many years for WotC.

A thing I backed on Kickstarter, A Deadman's Guide to Dragongrin, took the approach of separating what you are physically and what you are culturally as well. Was a pleasant surprise, though what's in that book is focused on that specific setting rather than the more broad approach above.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What insensitive stuff is in Tomb of Annihilation? My group's running that right now and I may as well brace myself.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Bruceski posted:

What insensitive stuff is in Tomb of Annihilation? My group's running that right now and I may as well brace myself.
Imagine a bunch of white people writing about Africa

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 22, 2020

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

Imagine a bunch of white people writing about Africa

There's also a seventeen-year-old refugee who wants to get dicked down by the adult male PCs, and they come within in an inch of describing her as a yandere slut.

She's also black, so they gotta find a way to call her lazy, but in a like, a backhanded way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GreenMetalSun posted:

There's also a seventeen-year-old refugee who wants to get dicked down by the adult male PCs, and they come within in an inch of describing her as a yandere slut.

She's also black, so they gotta find a way to call her lazy, but in a like, a backhanded way.

good god that's really bad