Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So a question about Apuestas matches: If somebody loses their mask and comes back with a different mask does the crowd know it's them?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ChrisBTY posted:

So a question about Apuestas matches: If somebody loses their mask and comes back with a different mask does the crowd know it's them?

Re-masking is extremely frowned upon in Mexico which is why only lovely American promotions do it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Benne posted:

Re-masking is extremely frowned upon in Mexico which is why only lovely American promotions do it

this is la park's third mask, he lost his first in the late 80s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vagabundo posted:

Jeff Jarrett and Greg Gagne absolutely do not belong in any discussion about who the worst wrestleson ever was.
This is true; there are many wrestling failsons, some of whom were lousy performers and some of whom were lousy people and some of whom were both. But none of them deserve to be compared to JJ.

Smoking Crow posted:

this is la park's third mask, he lost his first in the late 80s
La Parka doesn't wear a mask, he is a skeleton you dummy

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Benne posted:

You can re-mask under a new gimmick. Lots of guys do it and they barely even change their styles.

And after a certain amount of time (like 8 or 12 years?) you can ask the lucha commission to re-mask under your old gimmick. I think this generally involves a pay-off. Some of the guys that lost their masks in WCW re-masked relatively quickly and it was generally understood that they had the money to make it happen and the fans didn’t care because WCW treated the luchadors with disrespect.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Cena's career arc is an odd one. In 2011 he can't quite carry someone to a great main event (see Mania 27), but he can rise to the level of an opponent like Punk. I have trouble remembering just when he started to really go to the next level, perhaps around 2014. (The matches he had with Orton weren't great but that was because by that point he'd faced Randy Orton some 10,000 times.)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cena's career arc is an odd one. In 2011 he can't quite carry someone to a great main event (see Mania 27), but he can rise to the level of an opponent like Punk. I have trouble remembering just when he started to really go to the next level, perhaps around 2014. (The matches he had with Orton weren't great but that was because by that point he'd faced Randy Orton some 10,000 times.)

That's because there no such thing as Big Match Randy, he just never had thing to be the shoulders of the epic champion. Not helped by that he had to be taught his pattern on Triple H main events. I can't name a single main event feud in WWE's 2000s-Now that was Randy Orton as being the other half of the key piece... except Randy Orton himself and I can't even tell you what his big feud was either.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't think anyone could carry a concussed Miz to a good match

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought Miz only got concussed near the end, that was why they did the "countout" part of the finish (though Rock was obviously always supposed to interfere so it would've been badly booked anyway.)

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Lid posted:

That's because there no such thing as Big Match Randy, he just never had thing to be the shoulders of the epic champion. Not helped by that he had to be taught his pattern on Triple H main events. I can't name a single main event feud in WWE's 2000s-Now that was Randy Orton as being the other half of the key piece... except Randy Orton himself and I can't even tell you what his big feud was either.

I'd say Orton really nailed it in his 2009 feud with Trips (despite that drizzling poo poo Mania match) and the 2011 series with Christian.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lid posted:

Theres a right and a wrong way not to comment on Cena here but think about when for example Seth Rollins stops selling. It doesnt come across as a fiery comeback as much as it might not have ever happened. I think their issue was Sting was fighting spirit whereas Cena was "time to make my comeback".

he sells that you son of a bitch

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hirez posted:

John Cena is Albanian

Their chief export is aluminum.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I was looking at old Observer Awards, how come "Bob Backlund as WWF Champion" won Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic in 82? Was there actually something disgusting or did voters just really hate Backlund?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Stanfield posted:

I was looking at old Observer Awards, how come "Bob Backlund as WWF Champion" won Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic in 82? Was there actually something disgusting or did voters just really hate Backlund?

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1059934849476243456

Bob was a nice guy, but I don't think people had much reason to cheer after a few years.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone should figure out the conversion rate from "Years as Champion" to the "Months as Champion" we have now. If it took four years for people to start hating a champion they otherwise liked, what's the same timeframe today?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone should figure out the conversion rate from "Years as Champion" to the "Months as Champion" we have now. If it took four years for people to start hating a champion they otherwise liked, what's the same timeframe today?

Three tweets.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

CobiWann posted:

Three tweets.

j-ru i know this isn't the WWE thread but can you add this to your favorite posts list anyway because :thurman:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It took a lot longer to get tired of champions when you only saw them in your town once every few months and they weren't filling 8 hours of TV a week with a constant social media presence

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The big feds (AWA, WWF, the NWA World title) had long title reigns, but if you look at the major regional promotions, Mid-South, Mid-Atlantic, Georgia, they did not have long title reigns. Something like a 6 month reign would be the outlier. Wrestlers weren't champion long enough for fans to get sick of them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The big feds (AWA, WWF, the NWA World title) had long title reigns, but if you look at the major regional promotions, Mid-South, Mid-Atlantic, Georgia, they did not have long title reigns. Something like a 6 month reign would be the outlier. Wrestlers weren't champion long enough for fans to get sick of them.

If wrestling had a 'season', and the champion was the sort of end boss, it would make sense for Lesnar to be champ for a year, to string along the face challenger; and at the end of the season, the good guy wins or Lesnar escapes to another year on top.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Stanfield posted:

The bar was much different back then, so Bob becoming a geek who people liked less than the heels but still being champ was what "won" among the handful of people that Dave took ballots from for that first issue.

With The Monster, the specific reason it was picked—though I'm not even sure how that works because there was no Observer until over a year afterwards—was that the promotion was claiming to have been behind the monster being built in a lab, not a heel manager.

Times have changed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I've asked this before in historical WON awards, especially in runner ups, but I don't think I've had a clear answer how this happened:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
1. Daichi Hashimoto (552) 3,018
2. Uhaa Nation (23) 650
3. Takumi "Sho" Soya (24) 509
4. Obariyan (17) 315
5. Archibald Peck (15) 242
6. Fenix (3) 235
7. Dragon Lee (11) 185
8. Tommaso Ciampa (15) 111
9. Mike Dalton (2) 78
10. Dark Dragon 72

How did Daichi Hashimoto of all people crush the award in 2011 over Uhaa Nation, SHO, loving FENIX, Dragon Lee I (now the current Mistico), and Tommaso Ciampa? Like he got 552 votes and second place was 23.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's because of the hashimoto part

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lid posted:

I've asked this before in historical WON awards, especially in runner ups, but I don't think I've had a clear answer how this happened:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
2. Uhaa Nation (23) 650
4. Obariyan (17) 315
6. Fenix (3) 235
7. Dragon Lee (11) 185
9. Mike Dalton (2) 78
10. Dark Dragon 72

How did Daichi Hashimoto of all people crush the award in 2011 over Uhaa Nation, SHO, loving FENIX, Dragon Lee I (now the current Mistico), and Tommaso Ciampa? Like he got 552 votes and second place was 23.

One person was well known, the others were not.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My understanding is that WWWF (even into Vince Jr's tenure) was an outlier in that it was heavily focused on babyface title holders taking on all comers. From the introduction of the WWWF title in 1963 through the day Hulk Hogan won his first WWF title, the belt was on a babyface for a combined 7,202 days (19 years, nine months) and on a heel for 376 days, just over a year. All but 80 of those days were part of Superstar Billy Graham's run in 1997-1978 before Bob Backlund beat him. Unless I'm missing a turn, no heel title reign lasted over 100 days again until Yokozuna held the belt for over nine months in 1993-1994.

There were other long-reigning champions in other territories (Verne Gagne and Nick Bockwinkel each had two reigns with the AWA title that combined encompass the entire title picture from 1968-1982, Fritz von Erich would hold the WCCW belt for years at a time ) with the McMahons lucked into Bruno and later Hogan who had the size and star power to support the Superman push, and they've never really given up chasing that dragon if you discount the 1990s as an outlier with the steroid trials on one end and Monday Night Wars/Crash TV on the other.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

rare Magic card l00k posted:

One person was well known, the others were not.

Yeah but thats the definition of a rookie, and it was such an insane blowout it looks like he had the greatest rookie year ever. The year before it was won by Adam Cole and the year after by Dinastia (who got less votes than second place Mr Touchdown). I can't see any other rookie getting anything close to 500 votes maybe even 400.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
2. Uhaa Nation (23) 650
4. Obariyan (17) 315
6. Fenix (3) 235
7. Dragon Lee (11) 185
9. Mike Dalton (2) 78
10. Dark Dragon 72

Ciampa was not very good, Uhaa Nation was in lower level indies for most of the year and did a few Dragon Gate shows, that's not the New Japan SHO, he wrestled in All Japan in a year not a lot of people watched it. Fenix had some exposure in AAA but it was mostly in openers and dark matches and CMLL was in a really down period so not a lot of people were watching.

Daichi on the other hand was the son of one of the biggest stars in the history of the business, got a big push out of the gate and was wrestling lots of big names. He had a ton of hype and seemed like he had promise. It was a big year for a rookie compared to the others on this list who didn't really have big years.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

My understanding is that WWWF (even into Vince Jr's tenure) was an outlier in that it was heavily focused on babyface title holders taking on all comers. From the introduction of the WWWF title in 1963 through the day Hulk Hogan won his first WWF title, the belt was on a babyface for a combined 7,202 days (19 years, nine months) and on a heel for 376 days, just over a year. All but 80 of those days were part of Superstar Billy Graham's run in 1997-1978 before Bob Backlund beat him. Unless I'm missing a turn, no heel title reign lasted over 100 days again until Yokozuna held the belt for over nine months in 1993-1994.

There were other long-reigning champions in other territories (Verne Gagne and Nick Bockwinkel each had two reigns with the AWA title that combined encompass the entire title picture from 1968-1982, Fritz von Erich would hold the WCCW belt for years at a time ) with the McMahons lucked into Bruno and later Hogan who had the size and star power to support the Superman push, and they've never really given up chasing that dragon if you discount the 1990s as an outlier with the steroid trials on one end and Monday Night Wars/Crash TV on the other.

It's crazy how they went from that to basically a heel territory where you rarely see a babyface have an extended reign where they look good. Even someone like Punk who had so much fan support had to turn heel during his super long reign. I think Drew is doing a great job but folks could turn on him too, I don't see why though the guy is a workhorse and he's cool.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lid posted:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
2. Uhaa Nation (23) 650
4. Obariyan (17) 315
6. Fenix (3) 235
7. Dragon Lee (11) 185
9. Mike Dalton (2) 78
10. Dark Dragon 72

Looking at Daichi's cagematch and just looking at 2011, he was given a lot of time in tag matches with big talent whereas Uhaa has one Dragon Gate tour and some scattered matches in American promotions, plus that DG tour was late in the year going into December, so depending on what made tape (which was harder to get in 2011) he wouldn't have as much exposure as a guy who'd been working since March. Fenix mostly worked AAA undercards and dark matches. Ciampa worked a lot of indies and had 5 minute matches in 2011 ROH.

Also Sho is a different guy, Takumi Soya retired a while back.

E: f,b

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

With Rookie of the year you really just have to look at the year itself and not the whole career for it to make sense

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

With Rookie of the year you really just have to look at the year itself and not the whole career for it to make sense

Yeah, there are a lot of Adam Morrison situations with Rookie Of The Year where a guy looks like a sure thing and flops while a guy who didn't look like much all year becomes the hottest thing on the planet and you look like a dummy in hindsight

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I only saw Ciampa in ROH in 2011-12 and then not again until he showed up on NXT, and I can say safely that I'm impressed he even got 15 votes, he was the Enforcer for the Embassy and looked like the most generic OVW call-up in the world.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
A few years ago, Braun Strowman and Kevin Owens were feuding on Raw and they did a bit where Braun crushed Kevin's rental car. Can someone please link me to the edit someone made where Sid's "22!? OH MAN! WHY ME!" is played over this? :)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
*whispers* Archibald Peck in 2011 was better than all of them

(Also probably wasn't a rookie but I digress)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Deathlove posted:

*whispers* Archibald Peck in 2011 was better than all of them

(Also probably wasn't a rookie but I digress)

The general rule for Rookie Of The Year is that they have to have debuted in their first major promotion and by that rule he shouldn't have been eligible until he started with ROH.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eat My Fuc posted:

It's crazy how they went from that to basically a heel territory where you rarely see a babyface have an extended reign where they look good. Even someone like Punk who had so much fan support had to turn heel during his super long reign. I think Drew is doing a great job but folks could turn on him too, I don't see why though the guy is a workhorse and he's cool.

When the promotion itself is a heel then the champion has to follow suit at some point, I guess.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

I Before E posted:

The general rule for Rookie Of The Year is that they have to have debuted in their first major promotion and by that rule he shouldn't have been eligible until he started with ROH.

the unenviable position of having to defend CHIKARA :negative:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Deathlove posted:

the unenviable position of having to defend CHIKARA :negative:

I'm not even talking about quality, just in terms of prominence and drawing power it was never on the level of other promotions that were counted as "major promotions" for Rookie voting, at least at the time. Even now with more and more Chikara size promotions being accessible through streaming, Evolve is the only promotion of their size that's produced a Rookie Of The Year winner (Riddle), and that's combined with his PWG run at the height of their Super Indie status.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
CHIKARA and ROH were drawing comparably at the end of 2011, and you could argue CHIKARA had more momentum when they shut down in 2012

Did we ever find out definitively why Quack shut down at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

A few years ago, Braun Strowman and Kevin Owens were feuding on Raw and they did a bit where Braun crushed Kevin's rental car. Can someone please link me to the edit someone made where Sid's "22!? OH MAN! WHY ME!" is played over this? :)

I wonder if there's a list of every time a car has been destroyed/vandalized on a wrestling TV show. It's probably a stupidly high number.

Of all the dumb things in wrestling, smashing cars would seem to be high on the list. It's done often enough it's not shocking, thus generates no heat, but costs a lot of money to do.