Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RE6 owns, the snowmobile section sucks but otherwise game kicks rear end, Chris and Piers's commando boyfriend adventure and Jake + Sherry both being cute and good together are especially cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bogart posted:

Imo, if Ethan was really cured, his arm should’ve fallen off again. :colbert:

Full co-op campaign but the second player controls his hand to solve puzzles and help in combat

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ would play.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Resident Evil VILLage

REVILL

REV III

Given that it's rumored that this was originally Revelations 3 that got boosted to main game status, that makes sense.

This is some timecube level of finding connections where there are none.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Len posted:

When I was young I misheard the commercials as President Evil and wondered why they kept electing him if he was evil

:hmmyes:
As an adult I keep asking myself the same thing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bogart posted:

^^ would play.

This is some timecube level of finding connections where there are none.

That makes more sense than this being a reboot that ignores all the other games

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Len posted:

That makes more sense than this being a reboot that ignores all the other games

It features two previous protagonists. I don't...understand what you're saying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

It makes no sense from a branding standpoint not to call the game Resident Evil 8 or RE8: Village. RE7: Biohazzard was them trying to merge the Biohazzard name, then Resident Evil 3 drops it completely, and the next title in chronology is just “Resident Evil Village.” It’s a fresh slate even if the principal characters are in it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s my fault for trying to make sense of Capcom’s decisions when naming the 8th game of their flagship series Resident Evil Village is nothing more than some executive thinking it sounded cool.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

It’s my fault for trying to make sense of Capcom’s decisions when naming the 8th game of their flagship series Resident Evil Village is nothing more than some executive thinking it sounded cool.

It ain't deep.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

al-azad posted:

Its entirely for the 8 = VIII = VIIIage pun.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

al-azad posted:

I think I'm going to go to Revelations 2 next because Revelations was surprisingly enjoyable even on original 3DS and I hear nobody talk about it despite starring Claire and Barry's foulmouthed teenage daughter so how bad could it be?

Revelations 2 is fantastic not just for the story but the multiplayer portion. You too can play as Albert Wesker and apologize to people by calling them idiots.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Wait Claire reproduced with Barry?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zushio posted:

There should be a comma between those two distinct characters

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sherry's campaign was a huge wet fart with the worst set pieces so far and none of the dramatic tension of Leon or Chris. Maybe Ada can round out this package--

*Ada's campaign begins with a stealth segment*

knuckles_ohno.wav

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zushio posted:

Syntactic ambiguity strikes again. No, that was an "as well as" and.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Revelations 1 is so good and I loved playing through the multiplayer as Parker just spamming "I'M BUYING YOU LUNCH" at whoever was unlucky enough to get paired up with me.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

al-azad posted:

Sherry's campaign was a huge wet fart with the worst set pieces so far and none of the dramatic tension of Leon or Chris. Maybe Ada can round out this package--

*Ada's campaign begins with a stealth segment*

knuckles_ohno.wav

adas campaign is the worst one by a long shot

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I agree in terms of the structure, level design, and overall lack of any effort to make sense, but I thought Ada was super fun to play as. I liked her outfit and her cartwheels and her smarmy 'ohohoho' anime style. And her Batman grappler gun. I remember wishing she had some kind of Scorpion GET OVER HERE attack with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My favorite thing about Ada's campaign is that it launched as a single player thing but had so much outcry they patched in a player 2. Gamers being gamers though then switched to yelling about how lazy that was and like, what did you expect?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The demo for Asylum, The new horror adventure by the devs of Scratches, is available. Scratches is legit one of my favorite adventure games and this looks great but I’m hesitant by anything that takes place in a mental asylum.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Len posted:

My favorite thing about Ada's campaign is that it launched as a single player thing but had so much outcry they patched in a player 2. Gamers being gamers though then switched to yelling about how lazy that was and like, what did you expect?

I loved Agent!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

al-azad posted:

The demo for Asylum, The new horror adventure by the devs of Scratches, is available. Scratches is legit one of my favorite adventure games and this looks great but I’m hesitant by anything that takes place in a mental asylum.
Scratches was pretty good, so I am cautiously looking forward to this. I am really, really sick of the whole Abandoned Mental Asylum setting as well, though, so it better be a very, very good game.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Are there any semi-recent games that play like Fatal Frame? I loved Fatal Frame 1 and 2 back in the day and I'd really like some more of that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

Are there any semi-recent games that play like Fatal Frame? I loved Fatal Frame 1 and 2 back in the day and I'd really like some more of that.
Yeah, there's this... Indonesian, I think, game about fighting ghosts with your smartphone. Dread-out, I think it was called. There has been a sequel, too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There’s a recent game called Onryo that’s also a direct Fatal Frame clone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a shame the Steam reviews make it seem like it's not really all that good, because Crimson Butterfly is one of the best horror games ever made for the PS2 and I kind of miss the series.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Scratches was pretty good, so I am cautiously looking forward to this. I am really, really sick of the whole Abandoned Mental Asylum setting as well, though, so it better be a very, very good game.

Yeah this demonisation of mental health issues is really loving tired at this point.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I could have sworn there’s a subgenre demonizing mid-century sadistic asylum staff

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I've been playing The Sinking City and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the asylum in that game is pretty normal. The building is falling apart (but so is every other building in the game what with the catastrophic flooding and all) but the orderlies and doctors seem pleasant and the patients are given some autonomy. I'm not done with the game yet so that could all change, but at least for now it is a functional, normal asylum, which is quite rare. Especially in games based in Lovecraft horror.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Also have started trying out the demo of Asylum but yeah not feeling this game at all. The retro aesthetic of the titles and intro doesn’t match the gameplay, UI or visuals at all, (like something like Alien Isolation, Observation, Stories Untold, stuff like that) the dialog is awful and the main menu basically says “hey you got schizophrenia”. I haven’t obviously played the game through but if it doesn’t turn out that you’re responsible for everyone being dead and this is all a hallucination I will eat my fruit hat.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ew dead space 3 still requires online activation and installation of origin. was gonna buy it for me and a friend. pass

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And that ends the chapter of my life with Resident Evil 6, a game of utterly impressive scope and excess that was miserable to play but I will admit was never boring. The sole redeeming factor is that the catalyst for the apocalypse was because this incel wanted Ada to step on him.

Random picker says the next game in my quest to complete every single player RE game is... Resident Evil Survivor. I'm actually looking forward to a genuinely bad game.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Survivor will probably make you nostalgic for the gameplay in re6

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, there's this... Indonesian, I think, game about fighting ghosts with your smartphone. Dread-out, I think it was called. There has been a sequel, too.

al-azad posted:

There’s a recent game called Onryo that’s also a direct Fatal Frame clone.

Thanks guys! I have these two wishlisted for a rainy day.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sarchasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpLB6C8N1XQ

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I really want another Resident Evil Chronicles lightgun game. It would be the perfect way to reinterpret 6.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wow, survivor was nothing. It was air. I would’ve been pissed if I even paid $20 for this “game” when it was new. Apparently I missed half the “story” and was stuck with the worst guns because I opened the left door instead of the right. Great.

My favorite part is right after learning the island is a Nazi death camp you read a diary where a scientist believes he can absolve his conscience by ratting on the commander to HQ about his crime of running a Nazi death camp.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm going to dig up some more tonight.
I spent some time digging through several of the horror games in the Itch.io bundle, but nothing really held my attention. The most interesting one, Tamashii, already got a few recommendations here, so belatedly throwing in another for it. Great soundtrack, great visuals. I found it to be a brutally difficult platformer with some pretty tricky puzzles, so I don't know if I'll finish it. The main gimmick is pretty cool, you can clone three static copies of yourself that explode after a certain amount of time, and the puzzles revolve around placing and managing them on different trigger points needed to progress through the level. Definitely recommend a controller for this one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The randomizer told me to do Survivor 2 next which I didn’t even know this game existed before this year but it looks so-bad-it’s-good instead of so-bad-it’s-boring.

I do want to commend Survivor’s writing for inspiring every modern indie horror game. 90% of the story is told via notes where people write their direct thoughts and feelings like “I am the baddy and I murdered this person because I must be promoted.” And the beautiful plot twist is had me in tears as Ark Thompson exclaims with a similar enthusiasm as the little girl from Katamari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hope y'all are tuning into EEK3 :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtC6lVobeII