Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm looking for a case recommendation for a dual 120mm AIO ITX setup that will function well in a high-dust environment. I have the parts already in my enormous Corsair 800D after an aborted attempt to get it all into a Phanteks Evolv Shift, but only as a temporary measure. I've look at some of r/sffpc's darlings and while I like the look of a lot of them I am not confident that either the parts I have will fit or that I personally will be able to assemble them into such a small frame should they actually fit. That said, I am looking for something with a much smaller footprint so I can get the case off the floor and onto my desk. I would prefer something without a riser cable, as I had no end of trouble getting the GPU (an older air-cooled one) to run at PCI 3 in the Evolv Shift, even after replacing the riser (the original run of this case had dud risers that Phanteks replaced no questions asked).

I'm considering either the Phanteks Evolv ITX or MATX case, as Hardware Canucks showed the dual AIO setup works in it and the closed off top offers some protections should my cats jump on it. Is this a good buy or is there something newer or better designed for dual AIO setups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lags posted:

Any recommendations on a non terrible to install aftermarket cooler?

$30 - Arctic 33 or 34, CM Hyper 212 evo
$50 - Scythe Mugen 5 rev B
$65 - Noctua NH-U14S, be quiet Dark Rock 4

Deepcool gammax 400 would normally be on that list as the super-cheap option, but it has a mildly sucky install for AMD as it's a clip-on.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I guess it's a good time to ask, because it's one of my concerns with an ITX build, especially the sandwich style cases I'm looking at - with a Ryzen 3600 and a top end GPU, is it gonna be running too hot? What is 'too hot' anyway and how does it negatively affect performance or lifespan or whatever? Or is it more about fan noise?
Too hot = if your CPU/GPU throttles, which means it drops clock speed until the temp goes down. (in games it starts looking all hitchy because you get a second of low FPS, the CPU cools off, it goes back to normal, gets too hot, and then drops again)

Otherwise, high heat does theoretically reduce chip lifetime but a CPU & GPU last nearly forever and if you're a normal person who plays games a few hours a day it's no big deal. (High heat more immediately reduces lifespan for components like capacitors that are on the mobo and GPU, which can be a problem if your system is a hotbox or you have VRM components with no cooling, but again this is not a normal problem.)

Instant Grat posted:

Am I doing him a horrible disservice by recommending him a 3300X/1660 Super combo with a 16 gig dual-channel kit of 3000 MT/s RAM? (there's this one kit that's priced down with all the 2400 kits, is why i'm gunning for that one specifically)
Nope that's a great budget gaming setup, you just have to get the 3300X at a non-scalper price.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ian Cutress did a piece on the risk of damage / reduced lifespan to CPUs from running too hot.

Tldr: There isn't any for modern hardware.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any reason that an AMD CPU would impact an (Nvidia) GPU-accelerated Tensorflow training?

Like, there's no reason it needs to be Intel/Nvidia?

e: Also, any opinions on a Metalfish G5 or Metalfish S5?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 17, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any reason that an AMD CPU would impact an (Nvidia) GPU-accelerated Tensorflow training?

No, there is no synergy or dissynergy mixing or matching CPU and GPU vendors, unless you need both CUDA and AVX-512 for something, since AMDs AVX-512 support is still, afaik, lacking compared to Intel, but that's nothing to do with the GPU.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
What's the general guidance between the 3600 and 3700x? I game at 3440x1440 with a 1080ti. I also do a lot of work on my computer (some coding, a lot of spreadsheets, lots of Chrome tabs). Also, I've been considering the GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER for my mobo but I'm wondering whether I should just go with a x570.

I currently have a 6700k overclocked but its seems to slow down and stutter more than it has in the past and so I've been interested in upgrading.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Shadowhand00 posted:

What's the general guidance between the 3600 and 3700x? I game at 3440x1440 with a 1080ti. I also do a lot of work on my computer (some coding, a lot of spreadsheets, lots of Chrome tabs). Also, I've been considering the GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER for my mobo but I'm wondering whether I should just go with a x570.

I currently have a 6700k overclocked but its seems to slow down and stutter more than it has in the past and so I've been interested in upgrading.

For gaming the performance difference is minimal. For productivity, as long as it can be parallelized (compiling, rendering, etc) the two extra cores let the 3700X dominate the 3600.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Also next gen consoles basically will have a 3700X if that matters to you.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

I think I'm finally getting close to being able to pull the trigger on my remaining components... hoping to get a check on how these are looking.

I know the processor & nvme drive don't make a lot of sense but I have a really good price on those which is why I'm going Intel.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900 3.1 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 760p Series 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: NZXT AER RGB 2 52.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($36.98 @ B&H)
Case Fan: NZXT AER RGB 2 Starter Pack 91.19 CFM 140 mm Fans
Keyboard: Logitech G512 CARBON Wired Gaming Keyboard

I'm still weighing 2060 super vs. 2070 super so I'd love some input on which direction to go there

also still trying to figure out if I'd be fine with a 650w or 700w PSU and where I even go to find PSU's during this shortage or if I just have to wait until supply catches up.

and trying to track down a 2 pack/starter kit for the aer rgb 140mm's to get the controller with the fans. If I'm not doing any overclocking should I be sitting alright with two 140mm's on front and one 120mm on back? Hoping to use the solid top on my case but I could add another 120mm on the bottom if it seems like I'd benefit from more airflow.

any reason I should be looking for a PSU above 600w for this build? assuming i won't be adding any more GPU's but may go with a 2070 super and add a few more HDD's and a PCI card or two? pcpartpicker is saying I'm currently sitting at 414w if I have a 2070 super as opposed to a 2060 super.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'm looking for a GPU. I just upgraded to a Ryzen 3600, but I'm still using my old GTX970.

I'm looking for:
- An Nvidia card (I like their Linux support better)
- Something that will let me max out the graphics settings in Sea of Thieves (I get the feeling I'll get made fun of for this)
- I'm currently running at 1920x1080, but would evently like to increase that eventually

I'm looking at a GTX 1660 Super based largely on price point, but it's hard to tell how that works with the above.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 17, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DeadlyMuffin posted:

- Something that will let me max out the graphics settings in Sea of Thieves (I get the feeling I'll get made fun of for this)

Solidarity! It’s a really pretty game.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get into VR and want to upgrade my PC as such to play Half-life Alyx, Elite Dangerous and Dirt Rally in as high a setting I can get with a decent framerate.
I'm just wondering if I can get away with a new graphics card for the moment, then perhaps a motherboard and CPU change further down the line. ALthough to be honest I get completely lost when it comes to CPU's and motherboards nowadays. I've no idea where to go with them.

This is my current spec:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock LP 51.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus STRIX H270F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL14 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX300 525 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Turbo Video Card
Case: Corsair 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Also the total is hilarious as it's well out of date.

Would a new GPU be the way to go for the moment? I'm happy to get a CPU too if needed but as I said, this is a complete minefield for me.
Thanks

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I stupidly bought an Asrock B450 and a Ryzen 5 3600 not realizing that there was no integrated GPU to be had. This is for a server build so....what is the cheapest no-nonsense GPU out there? I was able to get it to boot into unRaid so I can still use it for now but as soon as this thing doesn't boot right away I am going to have no way of troubleshooting FML

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

cr0y posted:

I stupidly bought an Asrock B450 and a Ryzen 5 3600 not realizing that there was no integrated GPU to be had. This is for a server build so....what is the cheapest no-nonsense GPU out there? I was able to get it to boot into unRaid so I can still use it for now but as soon as this thing doesn't boot right away I am going to have no way of troubleshooting FML

Any PCIe card, you just need a graphics adapter to get it to boot. Ask in SA-Mart / maybe Reddit and someone should be able to get you some old card for like $20.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Some Goon posted:

Any PCIe card, you just need a graphics adapter to get it to boot. Ask in SA-Mart / maybe Reddit and someone should be able to get you some old card for like $20.

It actually does boot, I got lucky and it booted to the unRAID USB and I was able to hit its web GUI by tracking its IP address down on my router. But i obviously cant get into the bios or adjust any bios-level settings.

Thanks for the info!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

cr0y posted:

It actually does boot, I got lucky and it booted to the unRAID USB and I was able to hit its web GUI by tracking its IP address down on my router. But i obviously cant get into the bios or adjust any bios-level settings.

Thanks for the info!

One thing to make sure of is that you have a monitor that supports whatever output the card has. I'm not sure how old a card would have to be to not have HDMI but it's worth looking out for.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

cr0y posted:

Like Some Goon said, literally anything PCIe, ebay has a ton of cards like this, just look for something that's under $25, has the video output you need, has a full height bracket included, and doesn't require additional power.

There are tons of these kinds of cards coming out of old workstations and servers so you can usually find them all over the place even on say Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, so check there too if you don't want to wait for shipping.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 17, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PRADA SLUT posted:

Case wise for better discussion you wanna hit up the SFF thread.

I was AMD/AMD and now AMD/Nvidia for CPU/GPU. No issues with AMD/Nvidia.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Scruff McGruff posted:

Like Some Goon said, literally anything PCIe, ebay has a ton of cards like this, just look for something that's under $25, has the video output you need, has a full height bracket included, and doesn't require additional power.

There are tons of these kinds of cards coming out of old workstations and servers so you can usually find them all over the place even on say Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, so check there too if you don't want to wait for shipping.

Your local computer repair place would also be a good source. They usually take in a bunch of old junk. Call and ask.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MMD3 posted:

any reason I should be looking for a PSU above 600w for this build? assuming i won't be adding any more GPU's but may go with a 2070 super and add a few more HDD's and a PCI card or two? pcpartpicker is saying I'm currently sitting at 414w if I have a 2070 super as opposed to a 2060 super.

nope, a quality 550W or better PSU will do fine, and generally is enough for any single CPU + single GPU system

(that may need an amendment "except not the RTX 3090ti" in the future if rumors of that thing having 350W or more power consumption are true.)

One Pigeon posted:

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get into VR and want to upgrade my PC as such to play Half-life Alyx, Elite Dangerous and Dirt Rally in as high a setting I can get with a decent framerate.
I'm just wondering if I can get away with a new graphics card for the moment, then perhaps a motherboard and CPU change further down the line. ALthough to be honest I get completely lost when it comes to CPU's and motherboards nowadays. I've no idea where to go with them.

So the bad news is there have been a couple of other goons ITT who did full system upgrades specifically because their 6600K and 7600K systems were doing poorly in VR. I don't know whether you should buy a whole new system or just do a GPU upgrade and try it as is, I don't do VR and am not sure how bad the experience was for the goons who were unhappy. VR is very individual as to who needs perfect performance to not get motion sick vs people who can tolerate some frame drops.

But I think you should look at the price of a new system as your expected spending outlay for VR before you make the decision to buy headsets etc.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Klyith posted:

So the bad news is there have been a couple of other goons ITT who did full system upgrades specifically because their 6600K and 7600K systems were doing poorly in VR. I don't know whether you should buy a whole new system or just do a GPU upgrade and try it as is, I don't do VR and am not sure how bad the experience was for the goons who were unhappy. VR is very individual as to who needs perfect performance to not get motion sick vs people who can tolerate some frame drops.

But I think you should look at the price of a new system as your expected spending outlay for VR before you make the decision to buy headsets etc.

OK, thanks for the reply and information. Although not the best news, this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. I'm tempted to just buy a decent GPU and see if I can borrow a Rift to test and go from there in that case.
Then see whether I want to spend money on the rift or an entire new system.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm kind of hungry to upgrade but I'm not sure if it would be best to wait.

Digital Foundry said the Xbox Series X GPU is more or less as powerful as a 2080.

I also want a CPU that will last me as long as my 2500k has, and not sure the 3700X will get the job done.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The 2500k lasted as long as it did because a. Intel left a lot of performance on the table and b. the CPU market basically stagnated. There's no guarantee or even way to somewhat predict that any CPU will have anywhere near the lifespan.

That said, if you can wait it's always a good choice, doubly so right now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Some Goon posted:

The 2500k lasted as long as it did because a. Intel left a lot of performance on the table and b. the CPU market basically stagnated. There's no guarantee or even way to somewhat predict that any CPU will have anywhere near the lifespan.

That said, if you can wait it's always a good choice, doubly so right now.

Yeah. I realize people always say "there is no right or wrong time to build", but from my experience I disagree. Typically it is better to buy a year or two after console launches since the dust will settle on what component requirements will be for the generation.

If you buy the year before or launch year of consoles then the components you have will often be spec's for the cross-gen period and will be outdated quicker than usual.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah. I realize people always say "there is no right or wrong time to build", but from my experience I disagree. Typically it is better to buy a year or two after console launches since the dust will settle on what component requirements will be for the generation.

If you buy the year before or launch year of consoles then the components you have will often be spec's for the cross-gen period and will be outdated quicker than usual.

Eh, even then there are counter-examples. I bought a 7870 about a year before the PS4/bone launches, and it turned out to have a fantastic lifespan because it was pretty much the same GPU as a PS4 but faster. Basically since trying to predict is near impossible plus waiting is always good, so waiting until a year or two after the consoles is generally good. So is waiting a year or two after that.

Right now is a bad time because you pay $25-50 extra for a mobo and $75-100 extra for a PSU, due to the pandemic. If you have a budget that hurts. And that's like a nearly unique circumstance. About the only other parallel I can think of would be trying to build a NAS right after the asian earthquake & tsunami wiped out the HDD factories.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The biggest thing to wait for, aside from inventory stabilizing in general, is nvidia 30xx cards, which reportedly overshoot the console GPUs pretty handily even in the mid tier versions. But even then it's not like a 2070 Super is likely to be subpar for anything anytime soon.

I mean the 3700X essentially IS the next gen console CPU, so that's going to be fine for the foreseeable future. And motherboards that support it are already confirmed to support the AMD generation after that too. B550 and X570 support PCIE 4.0 for video cards and SSDs in case that ever matters as well.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm kind of hungry to upgrade but I'm not sure if it would be best to wait.

Digital Foundry said the Xbox Series X GPU is more or less as powerful as a 2080.

I also want a CPU that will last me as long as my 2500k has, and not sure the 3700X will get the job done.

As has been said there's virtually no way to ensure any CPU will have that kind of lasting power (especially now with the progression of Ryzen actually making new CPU releases worth paying attention to again). But at least with a 3700X you have an extremely appealing upgrade path where in however many years you could just pick up a used 3950x or, depending on your motherboard, a 4000 series chip without changing anything else in the rig and pick up a significant performance bump to last you another few years.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Serenade posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($166.89 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair CV 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($114.21 @ Amazon)
Total: $773.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-12 10:16 EDT-0400

Double checking now that the B550 is out. Is this still build good? The B450 Tomahawk max is on backorder on newegg but I can wait a week or two.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
The B550's would be a good pick if they were priced where the B450's are at, but instead they are being sold at B570 prices because they are the new hot poo poo, despite not being able to justify that cost.

I would probably hold off until the B550's drop down to the price range of the B450's.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Kullik posted:

Hey not sure if anyone remembers me but i was the guy a while ago with the ryzen 3700x that was idling kinda hot for no particular reason.

I found out why.

It was Corsair ICUE i think.

Basically it seems to run constant hardware monitoring that causes the CPU to think its under a lot of load and needs a lot of power according to what i could find, and corsair dont look like they want to add an option to disable that feature.
I imagine that really sucks if you have like a corsair cooler and not just a mouse and keyboard like i do, so i was able to disable icue and now i idle around 35 degrees with fans at their lowest speed, which feels a lot more acceptable.

You sir are a hero. I had posted a couple pages before that about the same issue with a 3600. I remounted my cpu cooler and was still idling about 45 to 50.

Now I idle 35-40. Crazy! Corsair really should fix that.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Corsair makes some really great, solid hardware.

Their software is some of the worst poo poo I have ever inflicted on my computer.

I bought a Dark Core wireless mouse when they first launched, and all I did was install the software required to use it, and suddenly my computer started crashing every hour or so, and nothing I did could get the mouse to accept a firmware update, which was needed to get it to track properly and communicate smoothly over the wireless connection. Uninstalling the software didn't fix the sudden and severe stability issues it had introduced.

Eventually, hours later, I returned the mouse to Microcenter and got another Logitech mouse. I went home and reinstalled my operating system and was back to a nice rock solid computer.

I will buy any Corsair hardware that doesn't require software, but you can't get me to inflict their 'barely not a virus' software on my computer again.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I typically build my PCs to be more powerful than consoles at a mark that sits "halfway in-between a PS4 and a PS4 Pro".

I guess last generation was an exception.

I'm running an overclocked 2500K with a 970GTX and find that it outperforms the PS4/Xbox One handily and lasted me up until now. I even ran Metro: Exodus at a stable 1080P and 30fps on "Ultra". A typically like to have my build get me through the generation. However, I'm planning on getting a 4K OLED TV to accompany the next jump. Apparently I've heard that "native 4k" may not be that necessary though, at least in that Digital Foundry video about the Unreal Engine 5 tech demo.

Scruff McGruff posted:

As has been said there's virtually no way to ensure any CPU will have that kind of lasting power (especially now with the progression of Ryzen actually making new CPU releases worth paying attention to again). But at least with a 3700X you have an extremely appealing upgrade path where in however many years you could just pick up a used 3950x or, depending on your motherboard, a 4000 series chip without changing anything else in the rig and pick up a significant performance bump to last you another few years.

True. I'm used to buying CPUs where the motherboards always get replaced.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 18, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mistikman posted:

Corsair makes some really great, solid hardware.

Their software is some of the worst poo poo I have ever inflicted on my computer.

This is pretty much every gamer / enthusiast hardware company I M O. Corsair isn't even the worst. The ones that aren't crap are forcing log in to a tracking server just to use.

Logitech is about the only one I don't find awful, but then logitech gaming mice you don't even have to keep the software active if you use the on-board profiles. An empty system tray is bliss.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

This is pretty much every gamer / enthusiast hardware company I M O. Corsair isn't even the worst. The ones that aren't crap are forcing log in to a tracking server just to use.

Logitech is about the only one I don't find awful, but then logitech gaming mice you don't even have to keep the software active if you use the on-board profiles. An empty system tray is bliss.

I still use an old (probably 2012-ish) Trust mouse where the system tray application just saves your settings to the mouse itself. It is so convenient and simple. I don't know if their newer models use a similar system, though.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Mistikman posted:

The B550's would be a good pick if they were priced where the B450's are at, but instead they are being sold at B570 prices because they are the new hot poo poo, despite not being able to justify that cost.

I would probably hold off until the B550's drop down to the price range of the B450's.

I don't think they are going to drop too much. Most reviewers are justifying the increase of price to the additional benefits that B550 brings to the table along with the future access to 4000 processors out of the box. I am really not liking how Motherboards are getting as expensive as the CPUs but it's a seller's market thanks to everything happening in the world.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I don't think they are going to drop too much. Most reviewers are justifying the increase of price to the additional benefits that B550 brings to the table along with the future access to 4000 processors out of the box. I am really not liking how Motherboards are getting as expensive as the CPUs but it's a seller's market thanks to everything happening in the world.

They're still flatly inferior to the X570, so if they stay with X570 pricing everyone should still either buy a B450 for less or an X570 for the same.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hello everyone! This is the first PC I'm building myself and wanted some feedback on it. It's being used for school (online only for a MLIS), future work (archives & digital cataloging) & gaming.

I based it roughly off a list a friend of mine posted.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($58.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($66.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: *Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC Vanguard-V6-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.92 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1288.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-18 12:21 EDT-0400

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

My personal preference because games keep getting bigger is a 1T SSD.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Good point! I swapped out the Crucial SSD with a WD Blue 1 TB SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yeah I just went and checked and Modern Warfare is 190 GB all by itself. It's gotten nuts.

My current system I actually have a 250 GB SDD for Windows, games on a separate 1 TB drive, and then a third HDD just for bulk storage. Not saying you need three, which I mostly have because I had extra drives lying around, but I've been glad for the extra space.