Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I believe Melia/Riki/Sharla is the team for 'I want to win this fight and don't care how long it takes'. The ether focus means you don't have to worry about accuracy, Sharla+Riki means you will never die, and Riki+Melia will just slowly melt everything with DOTs. You can punch way above your weight class if you're patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

You can do a lot more with Ether based arts with that team.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Now that I'm approaching the endgame stuff, the gap in difficulty between "endgame content" and "endgame side quests" is real and substantial and there really is no good way to bridge it.

Go to windy cave and kill Caterpiles until you're level 72. From there go and kill Gogols on Bionis leg until about 78.
Then you can go to Satorl and kill the Volffs and Quadwings there (central area of the zone) until you're about 85.

There's always mobs you can grind on and when you're 85 you can start doing those end game quests. It's where I quit the game on the Wii because I wanted to do those quests and was frustrated at the idea of grinding but it's there and it doesn't take too long if you want to do that stuff.

This isn't me making excuses for the mechanics, it's poo poo that the game does this. I'm just giving you options.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

Go to windy cave and kill Caterpiles until you're level 72. From there go and kill Gogols on Bionis leg until about 78.
Then you can go to Satorl and kill the Volffs and Quadwings there (central area of the zone) until you're about 85.

There's always mobs you can grind on and when you're 85 you can start doing those end game quests. It's where I quit the game on the Wii because I wanted to do those quests and was frustrated at the idea of grinding but it's there and it doesn't take too long if you want to do that stuff.

This isn't me making excuses for the mechanics, it's poo poo that the game does this. I'm just giving you options.

Alternately turn on casual mode and take on higher level stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, just turn on casual mode. Im not even sure it does much beyond turning off the massive "get rekt" penalties for level difference

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I love this game so much, even 10 years later, and am happy it once again is finding new people discovering its story and setting. Bought it as an early birthday gift for my best friend and he's just about to Makna Forest.

Now I have a hankering to replay XCX as it wasn't necessarily a bad game, just a bit overloaded with mech customization and a lackluster story. The sidequests were a lot of fun and the scale of the world was pretty amazing. Really hope they do a port.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if you really want to beat it easily just look up topple lock strats

99% of the game can’t deal with that and your level doesn’t matter for it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Louisgod posted:

I love this game so much, even 10 years later, and am happy it once again is finding new people discovering its story and setting. Bought it as an early birthday gift for my best friend and he's just about to Makna Forest.

As soon as the game was announced as being re-released I thought of your posts in the earlier thread and wondered if you'd come back to it again.

ImpAtom posted:

Alternately turn on casual mode and take on higher level stuff.

Or do this. I've resisted turning it on but only because I wasn't really clear on what it might do. I like playing easy mode in games but not easy modes that just turn off every other mechanic.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Now that I'm approaching the endgame stuff, the gap in difficulty between "endgame content" and "endgame side quests" is real and substantial and there really is no good way to bridge it.

Like, I'm using Expert Mode and adjusting my levels a lot, and can theoretically get everybody into the high 70's. The story is taking me through a zone where the mobs are low 70's (Which is where I was at having beaten the last bosses from spoilerzone, so, good job game on that one). But, other than a few pieces of low hanging fetch quest fruit (Shulk and Dunban's 5th skill trees most notably were v v v easy), this big pile of side quests from around the world pretty quickly sorts itself into:

Go to Tephra Cave and get owned by the level 95+ mobs there.
Go to the Eryth Sea and get owned by the level 88 Telethia there.

Oh, and if you want Riki's 5th skill tree, here's a level 95 UM to fight; he's sitting over the water next to an island in the middle of nowhere, so, gently caress you if you wanted to use Riki for this fight. And if you die, it's going to take you 20 minutes to swim back over here to try again from the nearest fast travel point because this island is in the only body of water in the game with a loving current to boot.

Fortunately I have gotten pretty good at the "Control Melia, set up Dunban for dodge tank and bring Riki to heal; load up mob with dot's, and try not to die before it does" strategy of killing monsters 10+ levels above me... so long as I can only pull one at a time, anyway. I guess I'll just do this for a few hours until I can comfortably run around Tephra Cave killing monsters properly, I guess.

My path is usually is to reach the point of no return, do all side stuff that I can do and I should be around 80.At that point you can go to Alacamoth and start trying out those level 83 Telethia guys, they are extremely squishy and die super fast while fighting in that zone to the quest spots should get you to 90 which can get you to start of the higher level Tephra Cave system with the spiders. From there go up and down the Bone Corridor a few times to grind and you should get those levels pretty quickly. There are probably better ways of course.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Taear posted:

As soon as the game was announced as being re-released I thought of your posts in the earlier thread and wondered if you'd come back to it again.

This is my fifth time through the game but in past playthroughs I never did the end game high level stuff, which I plan to do this time around.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ghostinmyshell posted:

My path is usually is to reach the point of no return, do all side stuff that I can do and I should be around 80.At that point you can go to Alacamoth and start trying out those level 83 Telethia guys, they are extremely squishy and die super fast while fighting in that zone to the quest spots should get you to 90 which can get you to start of the higher level Tephra Cave system with the spiders. From there go up and down the Bone Corridor a few times to grind and you should get those levels pretty quickly. There are probably better ways of course.

I mean, I’ve literally done _every_ side quest (I’ve been using a checklist), and as a result have not needed to grind at all other than one or two times sitting around farming drops for ten minutes. So it’s rough to hit the brick wall of “oh hey, now it’s time to grind” is all I’m really saying in that post.

Got into a nice rhythm using Melia/Dunban to farm those glory dudes in Valak Mountain that have a tiny chance to drop the OP endgame chest/glove armor so just gonna do this for a while.

Also, for some reason Sharla is like 10 levels lower than the rest of my crew. Riki and Seven are a little ways ahead of the rest (they have bonus XP skills without linking them, which add up I guess), but Sharla is just way the gently caress behind and I can’t figure out why. Not that I’ve used her for much combat since... oh, Ether Mines. Was just shocking to notice.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So I just finished rebuilding colony 6 and a level 99 dragon showed up. Can I leave him hanging for a bit cause I'm still level 80 or will that affect the colony?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

So I just finished rebuilding colony 6 and a level 99 dragon showed up. Can I leave him hanging for a bit cause I'm still level 80 or will that affect the colony?

You can probably beat him to be honest. The highest level enemy in the game is 120 and is absolutely beatable.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I decided to push through and wrapped up the game this afternoon :toot: which means onto Xenoblade 2.

Last time I tried to play XC2 I got about halfway through before burning out, mostly because I got really anal and frustrated with the gatcha blade system and was getting mad I was getting blades on the "wrong" characters and not having any overdrives to fix it.

I played Rex/Four/Nia as my main party last time, and never got to the place where Nia transforms or when Rex can pull blades from everyone else. For this goaround I think I'll just play Rex/Tora/Zeke since I didn't use those other two at all.

Any tips for the second game on avoiding burnout? The ones I got in this thread for XC1 were very helpful. Also, is there a strategy or way to mitigate the whole bad luck of blades on the wrong characters? I'm hoping Tora having his own built in ones takes a chunk of frustration out of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Aerox posted:

I decided to push through and wrapped up the game this afternoon :toot: which means onto Xenoblade 2.

Last time I tried to play XC2 I got about halfway through before burning out, mostly because I got really anal and frustrated with the gatcha blade system and was getting mad I was getting blades on the "wrong" characters and not having any overdrives to fix it.

I played Rex/Four/Nia as my main party last time, and never got to the place where Nia transforms or when Rex can pull blades from everyone else. For this goaround I think I'll just play Rex/Tora/Zeke since I didn't use those other two at all.

Any tips for the second game on avoiding burnout? The ones I got in this thread for XC1 were very helpful. Also, is there a strategy or way to mitigate the whole bad luck of blades on the wrong characters? I'm hoping Tora having his own built in ones takes a chunk of frustration out of it.

Ignore the blades, just focus on your main blades for each character, and level up their infinity charts. Pyra, Roc, Poppi, and Dromarch are all blades you wil need to focus on in order to complete the game. Pyra has to be affinity level 5 otherwise you can't reach the final boss.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
wow can't believe they make you cook for the final boss before you kill him

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Aerox posted:

Any tips for the second game on avoiding burnout?

If you just want to complete the game, don't actively hunt for cores. The story blades you get are more than enough to carry you through the game. Plus there are some story and sidequest blades that have their own separate cores meaning you can decide who to open them with: Wulfric, Kassandra, Vess, Praxis, Theory, Sheba, Herald, which are all really good.

Nia gets Dromarch, give her Vess, and protocol her a last blade (most likely Boreas). Morag gets Brighid, Aegaeon, and you can give her Theory for a full dodge tank build or Herald for some damage. Zeke gets Pandoria and can make good use of Wulfric and Sheba.

Don't open cores with Rex at all. He gets Pyra, Roc and you can give him one of the spare quest blades I mentioned above to complete his roster till he gets access to Master Driver. Wulfric, Praxis, Sheba or Herald work well with him. Or give him Kassandra to have a shadow blade for combos.

Save Rare and Legendary Cores, instead open normal cores as you get them through your normal gameplay till you get the 3 pity blades, and then start opening Rare/Legendary.

If you have the DLC (which I totally recommend since Torna improves on every aspect of the main game save sidequests) you will get 2 really useful blades very early on, Corvin and Crossette and you can open them up with whoever you want them to. DLC also comes with a bunch of Overdrive Protocols.

I said come in! posted:

You can probably beat him to be honest. The highest level enemy in the game is 120 and is absolutely beatable.

But my question is, can inhabitants get hurt and leave the colony as the text says or is it just flair?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 18, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The DLC also gives you a poo poo ton of cores now, as well as at least a couple more free non-gacha blades (these blades also have convenient elements that are otherwise difficult to get on blades of that role - a Fire healer and a Light tank). 25 legendary cores I believe. You can basically instantly get all the blades you'd normally get through an entire playthrough (without any specific grinding for cores).

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So I am goofing about with Shulk, Dunban, and Riki and the party banter is the best.

Dunban: Mighty Heropon, I can see that you're in pain.
Riki: Hmph, nothing can beat Riki!
Shulk: Dunban, you're embarrassing Riki!

That and Riki shouting "Everyone did good!" has catapulted him to my favorite character.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

But my question is, can inhabitants get hurt and leave the colony as the text says or is it just flair?

It's just flavor, you're fine to leave.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

lezard_valeth posted:

If the world is ending and falling into the sea and the boss is standing in front of you having freshly monologued, you can generally fast travel and knock out some sidequests; he can wait. That's cool about this series.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jet Jaguar posted:

So I am goofing about with Shulk, Dunban, and Riki and the party banter is the best.

Dunban: Mighty Heropon, I can see that you're in pain.
Riki: Hmph, nothing can beat Riki!
Shulk: Dunban, you're embarrassing Riki!

That and Riki shouting "Everyone did good!" has catapulted him to my favorite character.

Riki and the Nopon are very good in XC1. Tora and XC2 Nopon are a loving disgrace.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

FrickenMoron posted:

Riki and the Nopon are very good in XC1. Tora and XC2 Nopon are a loving disgrace.

going from Riki to sex creep Tora really is like

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So completionist me that I am, I am trying to unlock all the cosmetics for every character. Can anyone else confirm if Sharla's Colony Type II boot is glitched? Everyone else has it unlocked but her

Homora Gaykemi posted:

going from Riki to sex creep Tora really is like

This so much. Having played 2 first, when I read there was a Nopon in 1 my thought was "oh great, another character I will never use". Fastforward to now and I'm hating the affinity grinding because it's time Riki is not in my active party.

How do you go from someone pure and fun like Riki to a creep, annoying and disgusting Tora??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was Tatsu inbetween Riki and Tora and he is the midpoint in quality

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Tatsu is absolutely worse than Tora. Tora was at least entertaining sometimes, I can't remember anything worthwhile about Tatsu.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tatsu's one joke was "Im gonna eat you, tatsu".

Tora's one joke is "I built a sexbot"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Does Seven's Speed Shift stack if I equip an Haste Gem?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

lezard_valeth posted:

Does Seven's Speed Shift stack if I equip an Haste Gem?

Yes, seven and dunban can attack very quickly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

Tatsu's one joke was "Im gonna eat you, tatsu".

Tora's one joke is "I built a sexbot"

Also, the sexbot is a tweenage girl

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

FrickenMoron posted:

Yes, seven and dunban can attack very quickly.

So Dunban should carry Peerles and Spirit Breath?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but Poppi owns so Tora is a net positive

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Poppi owns but everything about Tora is actively awful.

I'm still just baffled at what the gently caress happened to the Nopon after the first game. They were adorable as a species in general in XC1, Riki is amazing, and most of the Nopon in Frontier Village are good too; it has some loving amazing sidequests. My favourite is a chain where a brother helps his little sister train to become a heropon, which culminates in the brother marrying her teacher, and her scaring off her new sister-in-law's weird stalker fanclub :allears:

Then Tatsu in XCX is a terrible joke but the regular NPC's aren't very noteworthy in general, and then in XC2 every single Nopon in the game is awful bar maybe that Niranira guy that runs a crime investigation.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tatsu is way worse than Tora because he doesn’t add a single thing to the story and isn’t even a playable character, he’s just an annoying side character that happens to be in like every major story cutscene. Tora is annoying but he has the strongest Blade and is incredibly good in battle which definitely makes up for it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Tatsu is way worse than Tora because he doesn’t add a single thing to the story and isn’t even a playable character, he’s just an annoying side character that happens to be in like every major story cutscene. Tora is annoying but he has the strongest Blade and is incredibly good in battle which definitely makes up for it.

I find Tatsu annoying because he acts like the heropon but has absolutely nothing to back that up. Riki actually kicks rear end and lives up to it.

Tora... Made a sex robot.

Honestly, I think people would give Tora way bigger of a pass if he weren't so required. The other tank is a dodge tank, but the AI handles them terribly and they're not super fun to play. (For me) so you wind up feeling "stuck" with Tora, because he's a significantly better tank and yeah.

I hate Tatsu the most, and I don't particularly LIKE Tora, but I feel like a lot of that is because you're stuck with him a lot of the time.

Also because sex robot.

Edit:. Hell, I think if Riki had just built out a Nopon robot 99% of the inherent creepiness factor would be gone. How loving cool would it have been for it's whole head to latch open and shoot a salvo of Nopon missiles or something.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

lezard_valeth posted:

So Dunban should carry Peerles and Spirit Breath?

I normally run just peerless; if I'm specifically going after stuff that's much higher level than me, I might add Serene Heart for the accuracy/evasion because it's the only way Dunban really has to deal with a vision where he isn't gonna dodge. If you're using Dunban for DPS and have someone else tanking, or just don't GAF about him randomly dumping aggro in favor of more damage, Heat Haze is an insane DPS aura.

Spirit Breath, while the haste stacks, just isn't as good as Dunban's alternative auras, so don't carry it, usually.

(Dunban attacks a lot, and his auto attack is significant for sure, but fundamentally, like Reyn, he's mostly an arts spammer at heart. Seven, by contrast, is really much more about her autoattack, to the point where hitting an art is often a damage loss compared to letting her just continue to stab.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also, with the exception of Tora's family (who I hate less than this thread, but, I get it), the Nopon in XC2 unequivocally and across the board own a whole lot more than the Nopon in XC1. Seriously, the NPC Nopon of 2 are the best in the series and it ain't close.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Also, with the exception of Tora's family (who I hate less than this thread, but, I get it), the Nopon in XC2 unequivocally and across the board own a whole lot more than the Nopon in XC1. Seriously, the NPC Nopon of 2 are the best in the series and it ain't close.

:agreed:

There is so much character to them, especially when you do that one side quest... you know the one.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:agreed:

There is so much character to them, especially when you do that one side quest... you know the one.

Where is it? And which development level do you need to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

People love to rag on Tora for building a sex robot, but what makes Tora great is that he made a sex robot that, without exception, will never ever gently caress him and constantly gives him poo poo for being a poo poo. But also, Tora isn't an unabashed pervert the entire game or anything; he's kinda lazy, always hungry, and just generally aloof. Poppi keeps him grounded and is just a wonderful character, especially at the end, and I appreciate that Tora really looks up to Rex despite his jealousy that Rex just randomly got to be the Driver of the almighty Aegis and Tora's the third generation in a family of mechanic prodigies who all had to work their asses off to create the equivalent of a Blade.