Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wait, did the police build that wall or did protesters? Both answers are funny in their own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
The police did.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It is purposely lovely to cause drama and to act as a reason for police violence when it falls.

We're under attack!!!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Pretty smart move when you think about it, all the police have to do now is declare themselves to be outside and presto! all protests in the city are contained.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

finding out who currently owns the g-haus involves rifling through public registry records that probably aren't obviously accessible

so yeah, it's still kinda doxxing

I'm not supporting doxxing or anything of the sort, however, property records are universally public records and are searchable online. Googling county name state name property appraiser will generally get you to the right website.

The only way to hide property ownership in the united states generally is to have some sort of corporate entity hold the property instead. Most apartment complexes and other such large developments do this so ownership can change without deeding the land and recording the value of the sale.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not supporting doxxing or anything of the sort, however, property records are universally public records and are searchable online. Googling county name state name property appraiser will generally get you to the right website.

Many counties even have an interactive map too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Property records have been public going back probably more than a thousand years if we're tracing through british common law. Obviously in America they only go back ~500 years at most, but they're available for public review. For older stuff you may literally have to read through property book recordings that are old as gently caress, but the records are there back to whenever the land was originally deeded when it was stolen from the natives. Some systems have full electronic records and you can see back to the first colonization of your area for each plot of land.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Incompetently-made firearms count as OSHA, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nQzFGe1yMk

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Property records have been public going back probably more than a thousand years if we're tracing through british common law. Obviously in America they only go back ~500 years at most, but they're available for public review. For older stuff you may literally have to read through property book recordings that are old as gently caress, but the records are there back to whenever the land was originally deeded when it was stolen from the natives. Some systems have full electronic records and you can see back to the first colonization of your area for each plot of land.

The UK they don't update on inheritance though, only sale, so lots of land is very poorly tracked. This is mostly stuff owned by the descendants of the people who were organising stealing all the land from everywhere on Earth though, random houses are probably findable.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh hey a doxxing discussion. This has actually been a hot topic of conversation with the mods for the last few weeks. I think this was already posted in QCS but if not oh well guess you guys get the inside scoop:

quote:

SA User Doxxing:
  • Linking anything from off forum or stepping into real life is too far.
    -"I found this person's social media account, look at all the dumb poo poo they post [LINK]" "Looking at his Facebook, I see his wife works for DC"
  • Bringing up past ON FORUM posts that are relevant to the topic is for the most part not going to be punished.
    - "He posted about liking that in that one thread 6 years ago. [LINK]" *Note: Importing drama and generally being creepy with people's post histories can still earn you a probation

Famous Person/Public Official:
  • Anything relevant to their position or celebrity is, for the most part, fair game.
    - "They worked at XXX in 1998, they are giving XXX huge contracts now." "They posted pictures of their 2-story pool, look at this thing"
  • Well known facts or things the person has opened themselves up for mocking is not considered doxxing.
    - "He posts the same ketchup sandwich on his Instagram every single day."
  • Anything non-position related, or things they have not made public themselves, is off limits. Family, Address, Private Phone Number
    - "They walk their dog in ZZZ Park"

Random Internet Blip (i.e. No leash lady):
  • Don't dig up anything. SA does not need to be the Go-To place to vigilante these people. If something is posted on a news site/twitter, it's fine to discuss, but don't be the people making it the news.

These rules and examples are general guidelines. There may be things not covered or borderline examples that don't fit the above. The mods and admins will make final judgements and always try and take into account context of posts. If you can't determine if your post will be doxxing, ask someone or err on the side of caution and don't post it.

With something like Grovers address I’d lean on it being doxxing if the poo poo was posted on the forums or listed in a way that others could be expected to find it. The thing about doxxing is that it’s pretty much ALL grey area once you get past the really obvious poo poo like posting your forums enemy’s address.

It’s also one of those things where we’re going to have to read intent. Here’s a bit I wrote during our discussions on it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I broadly agree with all that but I’ll just say that I was in favor of something less than a perma <actual forums incident> (I think he got a ban/30?) because of the issue of intent. That’s always going to be the squishiest metric for us but I think it’s important. Someone who dumps a person’s home address or says something malicious like “we need to gently caress this rear end in a top hat up” is displaying very ill intent and foresight about what they’re doing. Someone who posts info that could lead to doxxing but appears to have another agenda (eg “ this guy look like trouble watch out for him at the protest”) doesn’t display that malicious forethought.

Basically first degree and second degree doxxing if that makes sense.

The people who maliciously try to gently caress up people’s lives don’t need to be part of our community. The ones who are trying to do something else but cross a line can be slapped and told not to do it again.

Now if I was mod of the forums where the Grover poo poo came up I’d probably PM the person and say they were getting close to a line they don’t want to cross and maybe edit out the bit about him still living there. That’s the dot that can be connected by third parties for ugly poo poo, especially given how much he over shared and that his address was out there (and probably still is).

Basically we all can laugh at the dude but he’s gone and he doesn’t need Internet weirdos loving with his life over a really, epicly bad thread and series of construction decisions from, what, a decade(?) ago.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Moonwolf posted:

The UK they don't update on inheritance though, only sale, so lots of land is very poorly tracked. This is mostly stuff owned by the descendants of the people who were organising stealing all the land from everywhere on Earth though, random houses are probably findable.

I've had to use property records in the past to find the folks who used to own my house before it got foreclosed. It's been six years and I STILL get their goddamn mail. Including poo poo like tax documents, credit card denials with their credit scores, and even the 'roni stimulus check. I met them in person once because I got a legal summons addressed to them and didn't want them to get a bench warrant issued because they're morons about paperwork. After a year I stopped giving a poo poo.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Not going to lie, thoughtful mod discussion like this is probably the reason many of us stay on this dead gay comedy forum. So thank you.

So if the lovely cinderblock/expanding foam wall has gaps between the building and the start of the wall, what is the point exactly?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

(...)
So if the lovely cinderblock/expanding foam wall has gaps between the building and the start of the wall, what is the point exactly?

The wall is for protecting the glass and limiting visibility while providing the ability to use the area as an entrance, exit, staging area, barricaded shelter, and bottleneck if needed. The foam insulation is there in case there's a draft.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

DelphiAegis posted:

You ever see a Warner Bros cartoon where one of the characters nails planks of wood across a door?

They are never cut to the right length, levelled, sanded or painted/varnished.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

under football bleachers on a university campus

the largest telescope mirrors in the world are produced under the football stadium bleachers at the University of Arizona

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SelenicMartian posted:

Can't lose trade wars if there's no trade :trumpsmug:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/18/business/seafarers-shipping-coronavirus/index.html

"200,000 seafarers stranded for months by port closures and the collapse in long-haul aviation could refuse to keep working."

"Frankly, we have seafarers killing themselves at the prospect of this misery continuing without end. They call them 'floating prisons,'"

:stare:

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

kimihia posted:

You may have missed my very first sentence where I stated that it is wired into the alarm system. This requires one to both turn off the mains power to the building alarm and disassemble the secret control box hidden behind the spiders in the attic, whilst the alarm blares.

Those spiders serve much the same purpose as a standard "Warning" label in preventing you from unthinkingly putting your hand in the box in the attic. There's a relevant IEC standard that I'm too lazy to look up right now.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

finding out who currently owns the g-haus involves rifling through public registry records that probably aren't obviously accessible

so yeah, it's still kinda doxxing

Property records in the United States are extremely very public, to the extent that even backwater hell counties have a website where you can type in a name or address and see how much your neighbor owes in back taxes.

Now doxxing someone by posting all this info elsewhere is uncool and probably shouldn't be allowed, but I don't think "I looked it up and yes, Grover still owns Groverhaus" qualifies.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Property records in the United States are extremely very public, to the extent that even backwater hell counties have a website where you can type in a name or address and see how much your neighbor owes in back taxes.

Now doxxing someone by posting all this info elsewhere is uncool and probably shouldn't be allowed, but I don't think "I looked it up and yes, Grover still owns Groverhaus" qualifies.

Lol I've looked up lots of people through tax assessor records, it's fun and free! It's interesting to see what some of the current regime's grifters are spending their money on.

They do make it more obscure (you have to submit in person or pay to see it) for wealthy counties in CA though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The point isn’t that it’s hard to do this poo poo, it’s that we don’t want SA to be the kind of place that figures out how much in property tax some idiot e-celeb pays. Basically we don’t need to be KF.

Once upon a time? Yeah. SA did some poo poo. But it’s not 2002 any more.

Basically look at the poop, laugh at the poop, but don’t touch the poop.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Whybird posted:

Pretty smart move when you think about it, all the police have to do now is declare themselves to be outside and presto! all protests in the city are contained.

I can't believe Wonko the Sane became a fuckin cop

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I don't know where to post this, so I'm putting it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZTA4K3vu4

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Jenny Agutter posted:

the largest telescope mirrors in the world are produced under the football stadium bleachers at the University of Arizona

The tour is hella dope btw

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Whooping Crabs posted:

poo poo like this unsettles me because it highlights how you can be happily cruising along, sun in your hair, tunes on the stereo and 'bam!' game over.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Whooping Crabs posted:

:dogbutton:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Moo the cow posted:

poo poo like this unsettles me because it highlights how you can be happily cruising along, sun in your hair, tunes on the stereo and 'bam!' game over.

One time, I was checking my mirror and shoulder to change lanes and almost rammed into someone who was completely stopped in my lane.

I only noticed because my passenger saw him and yelped.

Edit: I should add, they were alone and had no reason to be stopped. Iirc they were making an illegal left turn.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

This happened to my step brother on a freeway, drunk person hit his car at night going wrong way. Him and his buddies were hosed up bad, in the hospital for a while, many broken bones.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kimihia posted:

^ structural filing cabinet

https://twitter.com/clp/status/1273500598026076160

You may have missed my very first sentence where I stated that it is wired into the alarm system. This requires one to both turn off the mains power to the building alarm and disassemble the secret control box hidden behind the spiders in the attic, whilst the alarm blares.

That was similar to the ADT burglar alarm we dealt with, iirc

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Some good old fashioned truck fuckling right here my friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WTaxvfBqXo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

This happened to my step brother on a freeway, drunk person hit his car at night going wrong way. Him and his buddies were hosed up bad, in the hospital for a while, many broken bones.

Also why you wear your loving seatbelt. There's so many accidents that are survivable in modern cars as long as you have all the safety features engaged.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My sister is convinced that wearing your seatbelt is like caving into the man, and that they only exist so cops can write you tickets for not wearing them.

She's such an otherwise reasonable person, but this makes me want to straight up Stone Cold Steve Austin Stunner her.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

Also why you wear your loving seatbelt. There's so many accidents that are survivable in modern cars as long as you have all the safety features engaged.

My seatbelt hasn’t prevented anything worse than minor bruises in the decades I’ve been habitually wearing it.

We can’t even get people to wear masks for three months.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CADPAT posted:

Some good old fashioned truck fuckling right here my friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WTaxvfBqXo

That is advanced planning. Quality truckfuckling. :discourse:

starkebn fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 19, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah but gently caress lane keep assist, I turned that poo poo off as soon as I got my new car. I had a rental last year that threw me back into the lane when I was avoiding a construction barrel in the middle of the road on a curve.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Whooping Crabs posted:

"An 85-year-old man, who was driving the car, suffers from undisclosed health issues. Police say he could be seen waving at other drivers, who were waving to alert him.""
https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/wrong-way-driver-on-i-395-narrowly-misses-several-crashes/520-ed8a302b-7a1d-4bbe-b6c6-a60ece93d526

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PinheadSlim posted:

My sister is convinced that wearing your seatbelt is like caving into the man, and that they only exist so cops can write you tickets for not wearing them.

She's such an otherwise reasonable person, but this makes me want to straight up Stone Cold Steve Austin Stunner her.

20-40% of this country has oppositional defiant disorder. I’m guessing your sister is too young for lead poisoning to be the reason?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I bought a kitchen rated smoke alarm a couple of years ago. They're more expensive, but it means no more false alarms.

Buy your own alarm. They're $20 and can save your life.

Cool cool cool. Lets replace the 9v alkaline battery with a lithium battery and hope the pouch doesn't swell and gout flame

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EVIL Gibson posted:

Cool cool cool. Lets replace the 9v alkaline battery with a lithium battery and hope the pouch doesn't swell and gout flame

What's the problem, there's a smoke detector right there?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EVIL Gibson posted:

They’re not that kind of lithium cell.

Different chemistry, different packaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

drgitlin posted:

20-40% of this country has oppositional defiant disorder. I’m guessing your sister is too young for lead poisoning to be the reason?

She's in her late 30s, just googled ODD. She definitely mildly has it, she's willing to argue until the heat death of the universe, and she has a temper but it only comes out for poo poo that doesn't matter like board/video games lol. I can't even think of once case of her being vindictive, but with how much she argues with people (especially authority figures) I'm almost certain she has a mild form of it.

Although our dad was into classic cars/motocycles and took us to the car show every single weekend, and often brought us to his construction sites so maybe we've sucked in our fair share of anger-poison.