Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ronya posted:

one can voluntarily self-isolate, and if one isn't intending to do so, then why report it

I'm reasonably confident that these people wont self isolate if a call center drone calls them and tells them to either.

E: the Messerschmitt Bf 109 was a German WWII fighter plane that Spain continued to fly until the late 60s

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Wachter posted:

Track and trace is a pretty textbook public sector IT project: someone very high up and very tech-illiterate decides that computer will solve problem, fiddle procurement so that someone's mate's company gets the tender (in this case, US tech giant VMware and not Dom Cum's sister), said company realises they're in massively over their head (looks like VMware have subcontracted to small Swiss company Zuhlke), client goes into damage control when they realise the solution can't be delivered on time or within scope (now it's the "cherry on the cake"), delay, bodge together low-tech stop-gap (phoning people up), delay, delay, delay, project fails.

Can't wait for Brexit technology to really kick in. Some wonk trying to explain blockchain to Dominic Raab who probably thinks its like the light cycles on Tron. £100m RFID tags on custom imports that will be easily hackable by just peeling stickers off and swapping them over. More money funneled into 'smart border' technology where they employ thousands of people to monitor drones remotely but the cameras don't work due to UK weather.

Can't give children school meals though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I know how disproportionately hated he is in Ireland. Lord Palmerston, James VI & I, William III, and George III all did worse poo poo but aren't singled out for hate in the same way, and none of those have the merit of ending a monarchy or banning Christmas.

"Disproportionately hated." implies that his actions don't deserve the hatred the engender. Palmerston may have been part of events that led to or exacerbated the famine. James VI and William the III may have been involved in wars that led to longer, far reaching social problems in Ireland.
But Cromwell actively led the fight in Ireland.

Towns were slaughtered wholesale. Soldiers, men, women and children were killed. Thousands were put into indentured servitude and exiled to the West Indies, never to return home.
The man has left a cultural scar on the nation of Ireland that still sees him as an abhorrent figure.

But all of that is okay because he ended a monarchy (note, not the Monarchy. Since England still has a monarchy to this day.)
And what the Hell is this thing about banning Christmas being some ultimate good worth all these sacrifices? Like is it so important that people don't eat pudding and open gifts at the end of December? Is it a goal that is worth burning down Wexford?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

But all of that is okay because he ended a monarchy (note, not the Monarchy. Since England still has a monarchy to this day.)

I mean, also, the Protectorate was a monarchy with the serial numbers filed off. They actually wanted to make him King originally.

Personally my sympathy's with Freeborn John, Richard Overton & co. Power to the people!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So yesterday Nottingham, like much of England, experienced one of the most torrential thunderstorms I've ever seen. After it cleared my wife and I went for a walk and saw that a ton of businesses, including non-essential businesses that had just opened on Monday, were flooded.

Today we learned that both the local Sainsbury's and Tescos have been closed temporarily. Our regular family-owned pub, after just taking the opportunity to renovate its interior while preparing to re-open with a beer garden, has had all its wooden flooring ruined. The company my wife worked for had part of its roof collapse into the room where they stored all their field equipment. If small local businesses weren't on the verge of shutting down before, they probably are now.

Did anyone else experience/is experiencing flooding?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

baka kaba posted:

Someone posted this other version

https://twitter.com/Maxxiimmu/status/1273581901442318342

like at least that one looks like some kind of horned demon. The first medal just looks like a white angel standing on a black dude

There's a Black Grape lyric joke in here somewhere.... Has anyone asked Bez for his opinion yet?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
We've got a 14th century painting of the archangel Michael at work that is almost identical to those being shown - it's a very traditional depiction that dates back at least 700 years, andthe devil being trampled is almost always depicted with darker skin.
I've always assumed that the devil in that iconography was consciously or unconsciously representative of the Muslim people of North Africa or the Middle East in the decades and centuries after the crusades, but I have absolutely not studied the history of this particular bit of symbology so please don't take that as in any way authoritative.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Come on down to JOBS WAREHOUSE for all your JOBS needs.

Strapping on my job helmet right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXnifPfxK0Q

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

MeinPanzer posted:

So yesterday Nottingham, like much of England, experienced one of the most torrential thunderstorms I've ever seen. After it cleared my wife and I went for a walk and saw that a ton of businesses, including non-essential businesses that had just opened on Monday, were flooded.

Today we learned that both the local Sainsbury's and Tescos have been closed temporarily. Our regular family-owned pub, after just taking the opportunity to renovate its interior while preparing to re-open with a beer garden, has had all its wooden flooring ruined. The company my wife worked for had part of its roof collapse into the room where they stored all their field equipment. If small local businesses weren't on the verge of shutting down before, they probably are now.

Did anyone else experience/is experiencing flooding?

It's going to be...interesting(?) to see how hosed the economy is once furlough runs out. Most people I know realise they hate their job or don't have one to go back to, there's about 4 jobs on Indeed and I can imagine many many businesses will be hosed if they've been messing about with furlough payments or let staff go they needed then they've found other jobs. Plus stuff like flooding doesn't help, the pubs round here were still shut after the flooding in winter.

My neighbour reckons they'll have to bring UBI in due to how bad it is, but that sounds too sensible.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

justcola posted:

It's going to be...interesting(?) to see how hosed the economy is once furlough runs out. Most people I know realise they hate their job or don't have one to go back to, there's about 4 jobs on Indeed and I can imagine many many businesses will be hosed if they've been messing about with furlough payments or let staff go they needed then they've found other jobs. Plus stuff like flooding doesn't help, the pubs round here were still shut after the flooding in winter.

My neighbour reckons they'll have to bring UBI in due to how bad it is, but that sounds too sensible.

A self-employed acquaintance (right wing tory) who made a lot of noise about pay for self-employed during lockdown, once she was sorted then started with the 'well if you're going to freelance you should have a contingency fund'. (ie blame the victim, she, naturally, did not count since she was Sensible and Had a Contingency despite having to claim from the govt herself).

Round my way, people were STILL homeless after the October floods, let alone the February floods (and quite a few still are) and much of the freelance work round here is direct to public not necessarily businesses so many had already lost loads of work through that flooding and drained whatever contingency they had.

Let alone many of those freelancing were either on some sort of benefits and got fed up of mentioning their work on local fb groups only to be followed up by DWP demanding to see all their bank statements for 6 months (including my niece who had earned the grand sum of £10 in 6 months from her freelancing efforts and was desperately trying to get off benefits) or part-time national minimum wage work so quite how they were supposed to be building up this 'contingency fund' I don't exactly know.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Nah they'll just start a war with *rolls dice* Iran and institute conscription for the unemployed.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

blunt posted:

I'm reasonably confident that these people wont self isolate if a call center drone calls them and tells them to either.

E: the Messerschmitt Bf 109 was a German WWII fighter plane that Spain continued to fly until the late 60s

arresting, fining, and jailing people for breaking self-isolation orders is something Korea and Singapore have been doing too, has to be said

if COVID-19 had come first these countries would probably not do it - especially South Korea, which is still sensitive to hints of authoritarianism - but SARS came first and it was a great deal more fatal, which has set the precedent, I think. In contrast the UK has been on an institutional binge to fight the winter-flu-death-wave panic and it really shows

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I think we should crowdfund a chain of workhouses.
(You can bet half the tories are thinking of how wonderful it will be to have huge unemployment, near-destitution and people beholden to the bountifulness of their lords and masters for a roof over their head 16 hours a day hand washing sheets in lethal chemicals with no PPE or whatever it is they do in modern times).

Unconnected:

https://twitter.com/garyyounge/status/1273593537049825280?s=20

Just noticed Gary Younge's twitter bio says 'Former Guardian Columnist' so one of the few sound journos of the Graun is gone?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 18, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

justcola posted:

I've seen a depressingly large number of people saying that yes we should have a UBI, but only for people who need it.

What do you think the U stands for? "Unbelievably"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

"Disproportionately hated." implies that his actions don't deserve the hatred the engender. Palmerston may have been part of events that led to or exacerbated the famine. James VI and William the III may have been involved in wars that led to longer, far reaching social problems in Ireland.
But Cromwell actively led the fight in Ireland.

Towns were slaughtered wholesale. Soldiers, men, women and children were killed. Thousands were put into indentured servitude and exiled to the West Indies, never to return home.
The man has left a cultural scar on the nation of Ireland that still sees him as an abhorrent figure.

And what the Hell is this thing about banning Christmas being some ultimate good worth all these sacrifices? Like is it so important that people don't eat pudding and open gifts at the end of December? Is it a goal that is worth burning down Wexford?
He didn't do those things just out of mustache twirling evil though, he did them because English Royalists set up there to plot against him. Then after they lost a bunch of the wealthier ones ran off to Virginia and the Carolinas, where they would famously try to repeat the same thing again 200 years later but with more racism and again provoke mass suffering, massacres, death camps, and the burning of whole towns, which they blamed on other people.

Would he have done the same thing without them? Maybe, he was a massive dick in many areas, and a Catholic nation just across the sea from him would have doubtless pissed him off. But Cavalier psychopaths and their descendants have a centuries long tradition of demanding special privileges, poking people in the eye, and then blaming the other party for the mass destruction that follows, and we don't talk about that enough in our history.

Some of the others went off to hide in Europe with Charles II, and yes, England made a grave misstep in Restoration, which you could probably make a case for blaming on Cromwell's inability (for personal or practical reasons) to cement a proper power structure that wasn't, as feedmegin said, a monarchy with the serial numbers filed off.

A statue of Charles I's head on a stick would be a more fitting monument though, or maybe one of his executioner holding the head, perhaps with the inscription "Some hats are best removed at the neck." as an historical lesson for the future.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah they'll just start a war with *rolls dice* Iran and institute conscription for the unemployed.

Hey, that dice says "Iran" on every side!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

I've seen a depressingly large number of people saying that yes we should have a UBI, but only for people who need it.

What do you think the U stands for? "Unbelievably"?

I suspect the NHS comparison springs to mind, which is to say you can't just go into hospital and ask them to run you through the MRI machine all day like the american right wing seem to believe.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I suspect the NHS comparison springs to mind, which is to say you can't just go into hospital and ask them to run you through the MRI machine all day like the american right wing seem to believe.

Say, that sounds like a larf.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just off for my 4th blood test of the day. Because it's free.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly the only comparison I can think of that really works is like, the shower at the beach. Or public lavvies that don't charge you. We don't really have many public services that just give people free stuff any more.

Maybe pensioner bus passes. Technically you could sit on the bus all day with it if you wanted to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Residential water in Northern Ireland springs to mind, but most English people don't remember it exists unless someone puts a bomb in a dustbin and the Sun calls for the RAF to revenge bomb Dublin, so I doubt it'd work as a good illustration.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Streetlamps should be on a need-only basis. If you have a torch in your phone they should turn off as you walk under them. loving light sponges.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do they not pay for water over there?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It used to be free in the 90s, but then there was a big push for 'self-financing' and water metering, which led to massive pushback and then everyone in charge claimed that they always opposed the charges. I'm not sure about the status now in 2020, crispix?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you can't respond owing to having filled your entire house with free water I do understand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It does make a very good case for universal basic services for things necessary for sustaining life (or even just economic things like broadband), because once they're in place people will very deeply resent the idea of having to pay for them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah I like universalism for that reason cos it really annoys tories and they have to spend decades trying to undo it.

Also free stuff, I like free stuff.

E: I wonder if we ever got to the point where there was enough free stuff that people stopped going to work what the equivalent of enclosure would be.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I was surprised when my flat in London didn't have a water meter (we still paid a monthly rate obviously). Strangely even that didn't compel me to be horribly wasteful - and I think the financial and environmental costs of my love of bubble baths would have had more to do with the heating aspect.

Random aside, I always think our (metered) monthly water bill in NL is incredibly cheap, until I get the yearly bill for the water and sewage infrastructure from a different company. AFAIK that's all rolled into the English water bill?

^^ the only problem is things where using too much could be a problem, like energy, but that could be solved by a token cost, or a curve of some sort. Again, hazy memories of English energy billing, I think the first X kWh were expensive, and then it got cheaper? Surely that's backwards.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 18, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

If you make something free, people will use more if it, just because they can.

This is why I sometimes stick my head out the window and hyperventillate out of pure greed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jeremyvineon5/status/1273539154828242944?s=21

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Guavanaut posted:

He didn't do those things just out of mustache twirling evil though, he did them because English Royalists set up there to plot against him.

oh okay thats alright then

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

I was surprised when my flat in London didn't have a water meter (we still paid a monthly rate obviously). Strangely even that didn't compel me to be horribly wasteful - and I think the financial and environmental costs of my love of bubble baths would have had more to do with the heating aspect.

Random aside, I always think our (metered) monthly water bill in NL is incredibly cheap, until I get the yearly bill for the water and sewage infrastructure from a different company. AFAIK that's all rolled into the English water bill?

When I lived in London, I had a water meter. BUT at some point - not long after I moved in - the meter got bust (probably a careless workperson digging up the road at some point). From that day forth for 11 years I had an estimated bill and they never fixed fixed the meter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just noticed Gary Younge's twitter bio says 'Former Guardian Columnist' so one of the few sound journos of the Graun is gone?

He started a new job at Manchester Uni just before the covids. So yeah its basically Owen Jones and that's it now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Yeah, water and sewage are paid to the same private monopoly. Water rates aren't the best thing, because they tend to be regressive as a tax, but they're still better than 'scare the poorest, who are most likely to be exposed to disease, into using less water'.

It's the "like and share if you had lead toys and rode in the bed of dad's pickup with no seatbelt and survived" meme.

Shakespearean Beef posted:

oh okay thats alright then
It isn't, but it's clear who the blame rests with.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Guavanaut posted:

It isn't, but it's clear who the blame rests with.

yeah with cromwell

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/gletherby/status/1273609000337186816?s=20

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

there's no water charge for residential households but there is one for businesses; introducing a separate water charge is deeply unpopular and one of the few issues where there is cross-party agreement not to implement one, regardless of the current cost of subsidising NI Water. anyway I'm gonna turn on all the taps and just stare at the water circling the drain for an hour

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This somehow made me angrier than everything the cabinet has said this week.

Utterly vile oval office.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Obligatory xkcd what-if for NI goons

https://what-if.xkcd.com/91/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Petition for the government to make alan sugar dead so we can take covid seriously please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

There's hardly any wheat on this chessboard. I don't see what the big problem with adding some more.