Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1271871255038263299

Also, to probably no ones surprise, a delay until 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1271102453954555905

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm starting to get Civilization: Beyond Earth vibes from this. A game no one asked for that the marketing team realizes isn't as creative or unique or innovative as the guy whose passion project it is.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm starting to as well and I really want it to be good, because I love Amplitude and their games.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
If its not looking promising maybe Oldworld will satisfy.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Anno posted:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1271871255038263299

Also, to probably no ones surprise, a delay until 2021.

Looks like Civilization VII just got permission to be poo poo again.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Touchdown Boy posted:

If its not looking promising maybe Oldworld will satisfy.

My excitement and interest has definitely flipped 100% to Old World, although I expect some of that is that it's actually in early access now, so there's actually gameplay info.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I'm more inclined to think that the game is a victim of being announced too early before any mechanical elements were truly nailed down, hence a lack of any information about how the game actually plays. Coupled with an inherent problem with marketing a dense 4x with turn based gameplay. Civ Vi managed it by having a drip feed of reveals for each leader, coupled with all that expensive animation and music. Amplitude are sort of riffing on it, but clearly can't put in the cash that Firaxis can, with the resulting civ.png images that sort of appear without fanfare.

I'm not going to write it off, I think it's probably good that it's delayed a bit as there are so many great 4x games at the moment

Cythereal posted:

I'm starting to get Civilization: Beyond Earth vibes from this. A game no one asked for that the marketing team realizes isn't as creative or unique or innovative as the guy whose passion project it is.

I don't think it's a fair comment to say no-wanted this game, or actually Beyond Earth for that matter (Alpha Centauri is frequently cited as being a game many want a sequel or remake/remaster of and like it or not Beyond Earth was trying to cater to that market). I would personally like a new take on the Civilization format as I think the series has got bloated, stale and could do with something to shake it up a bit (i.e competition). I think Endless Legend had a big impact on Civ Vi anyway, the "unstacked" cities are lifted from Endless Legend, ditto for the governor system. I'm really interested to see what another studio can do with the real-world setting. Old World by Soren Johnson and his team is interesting to mefor similar reasons.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 14, 2020

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Has anyone played Old World? I've been jonesing for some 4X game to play lately that isn't Civ 6 or ES2, and this isn't coming out for a bit :saddowns:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

kloa posted:

Has anyone played Old World? I've been jonesing for some 4X game to play lately that isn't Civ 6 or ES2, and this isn't coming out for a bit :saddowns:

It's pretty good mechanically, and would probably be an excellent game except for the event system injected into it that completely ruins all of the other well thought out mechanics. Every turn you will have to answer multiple questions about what book your granddaughter should read, and you don't even remember that you had a granddaughter.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

kloa posted:

Yes, there's even a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920273

Honestly it's really good. Unlike the above poster I think the event system is pretty neat.

Plus:
- the design is really good, i.e. the way the different systems (buildings/tech/diplomacy/characters/military/...) work and interact with each other is clearly well thought out.
- the order system is honestly pretty interesting and does lead to some interesting choices.
- building military units is way more important than usually in civ. You can't ignore military until the middle ages.

Minus:
- balancy of the economy is not that good, you can get into situations where you have too many resources and nothing to spend them on.
- because of the above some lategame systems (i.e. religion) and techs (i.e. windmills) feel useless.
- it's still an early access game.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

mitochondritom posted:

I'm more inclined to think that the game is a victim of being announced too early before any mechanical elements were truly nailed down, hence a lack of any information about how the game actually plays. Coupled with an inherent problem with marketing a dense 4x with turn based gameplay. Civ Vi managed it by having a drip feed of reveals for each leader, coupled with all that expensive animation and music. Amplitude are sort of riffing on it, but clearly can't put in the cash that Firaxis can, with the resulting civ.png images that sort of appear without fanfare.

Yeah, I agree that the lack of solid mechanics and a too early ad campaign is what’s killing it. Information on Civ VI started with general mechanics - that the basics were mostly unchanged from V but that cities would be unpacked into districts - and then layered in leaders with mechanics discussions in that context: China could do faster wonders, Egypt had better trade, Kongo couldn’t make a religion but did better with others’ religion, etc., all of which made it seem interesting and distinct.

I’ve seen all of the tweets in this thread about Humankind’s civs, and I literally have no idea what any of their bonuses do, or mean, or how they work together. Add in to that the whole “you don’t play a civ, you play a bunch of civs who happen to all own the exact same territory” mechanic seeming muddled and indistinct, and it’s hard get interested in it. Maybe next year we’ll get more solid details.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Everytime I see them using the thinking emoji I get really annoyed

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm mostly confused as to why they just went with 'Norsemen' instead of any particular Norse civilization.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I think a huge disadvantage of Old World is that it is literally just old world. It does not come close (to my understanding) of covering the whole scope of history through the modern age.

Fine if you don't care about that, but I do.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Human Crouton posted:

It's pretty good mechanically, and would probably be an excellent game except for the event system injected into it that completely ruins all of the other well thought out mechanics. Every turn you will have to answer multiple questions about what book your granddaughter should read, and you don't even remember that you had a granddaughter.

I did this then my Granddaughter died in a random event causing me to have to do it again for another child to make hundreds of barely meaningful choices so I quit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SlyFrog posted:

I think a huge disadvantage of Old World is that it is literally just old world. It does not come close (to my understanding) of covering the whole scope of history through the modern age.

Fine if you don't care about that, but I do.

Yea, theme is important to me and Old World feels too small scale.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

kloa posted:

shadow empire is a janky single-dev hybrid 4x/groggy wargame set in a far future sci-fi postapocalypse. it's pretty good

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926377

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is there a general 4X thread because that would be good.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is there a general 4X thread because that would be good.

That would be pretty cool. Particularly when it comes to some of these weird smaller games that can't really sustain their own thread.
On a similar note, I would absolutely love to make even a dead basic 4X, but suck at programming. (Unless you count boardgames?)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Make the dead basic 4x boardgame and post it, maybe someone talented will knock up a computer version

E: I'll make a general 4x thread if there isn't one already, throw me some witty titles

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 17, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
excentric ex-firaxians' excellent expansion games

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

4eggs and bacon

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Soren and Sid's 4Xcellent adventures

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
4X Games General: The AI sucks

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
4x ways to domination victory, one trick AI doesn’t want you to know

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IGN's short gameplay demo went up a day early:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azcnslbGBYc

There's some new stuff in it. We get a good look at a bunch of the dilemmas, and how they feed into the civics system. There's a bunch of ~~SLIDERS~~ that reflect your national ideals and customs. We see a little of how the culture-choosing system actually looks and feels, and a look at the natural wonders.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Krazyface posted:

There's some new stuff in it. We get a good look at a bunch of the dilemmas, and how they feed into the civics system. There's a bunch of ~~SLIDERS~~ that reflect your national ideals and customs. We see a little of how the culture-choosing system actually looks and feels, and a look at the natural wonders.

Oh, look. Events.

I didn't want to play to the map and mechanics of the game anyway. I want random popups where I have to pick one of three prechosen options.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I hate the popup-spam in ES2, but they make it easy to disable them at least.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ugh get this poo poo done so you can get back to Endless Legend 2

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
God, it looks even more like Civ VI now

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I think those events were mostly in relation to founding your first civilization and your first city. Could be wrong but my impression isn't that every turn is full of pop-up events.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Flavius Aetass posted:

I think those events were mostly in relation to founding your first civilization and your first city. Could be wrong but my impression isn't that every turn is full of pop-up events.

The video also shows popups for choosing how to react to a new board game sweeping the nation, and how much your people should like music. You're probably not going to get popups every turn, but you will be forced to stop planning for war or building your empire to decide how a hot new board game will affect your empire.

Exciting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The video also shows popups for choosing how to react to a new board game sweeping the nation, and how much your people should like music. You're probably not going to get popups every turn, but you will be forced to stop planning for war or building your empire to decide how a hot new board game will affect your empire.

Exciting.

Just about every 4X has popup events. They're not worth talking about as an exciting feature, and I find it mildly concerning that these folks think they are.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

4X events are a scourge and need to be eliminated. They are the 4x equivalent of morality systems or exposition through audio diaries.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It is a personal ATTACK on me that there should be any additional flavour or variables in my 4X game. The precious seconds it takes to make an unexpected choice completely ruins my perfect mental equipoise and foreplanning. It doesn't matter that the game is turn based and I have infinite time. Events of any kind simply RUIN my FUN.

C'mon dude. It's a petty hill to die on. They aren't in any reasonable way comparable to your two examples. At worst they are bland temporary minor buffs/obstacles, at best they can be interesting ways to tweak your Civ and min/max.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

4X events are a scourge and need to be eliminated. They are the 4x equivalent of morality systems or exposition through audio diaries.

It's a bit wierd that you keep popping up to tell everyone how disinterested you are in this game everytime something new is posted about it. Sorry it's not what you wanted it to be based on some trailers I guess.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I've seen few computer 4x games that are excellent strategy games. I love the genre because I love building empires. Good underlying strategic systems remain important, and I like a challenging system with lots of interesting choices. But part of the appeal of the 4x game for me is the playing with a Lego set and RPG aspects. Robust event systems are a major part of why I enjoy EU4 and CKII, and really the only realize I still enjoy Stellaris. I'm glad to see that Humankind is letting us define our civilization's values and the way that people in our civilization live. The event system in Endless Space 2 is far from onerous. The text is quick to read, the decisions quickly explained and transparent. The artwork is often stellar. It doesn't detract at all from the mechanical aspects of the game and often allows for interesting choices and makes the game more interesting than maximizing numbers, which nearly every 4x falls into.

I overall like Civ 6, although I think its in many ways worse than 4 and 5. Its not a deal breaker, but I'm dislike the art direction in Civ 6. This looks a lot more like a game I can get excited about. I think its going to effectively capture the progression from a few small villages to sprawling metropolises.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Krazyface posted:

Oh I like a lot of what I'm seeing there.

I'm still bothered by the Endless series' insistence on using numbers for tile yields. Much prefer Civ's "this tile produces three food, so here are THREE food symbols". And the city screen looks lovely and sleek but I can see those giant icons being a terrible design choice when you have a lot of potential stuff to build. It only shows 8 and then fades out the rest, despite there being plenty of room on the screen. These are details though and it's still in Alpha, so good chance it'll improve.

I'm a bit sad that racing wonders isn't a thing (starting one appears to lock others out of it), but I guess that would be cribbing Civ ideas a little too hard. And I guess it was always weird that everyone else had to rip down their pyramids just because someone else finished a pyramid first.

Shame we didn't see much of battles but I liked pretty much everything I saw there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh I like a lot of what I'm seeing there.

I'm still bothered by the Endless series' insistence on using numbers for tile yields. Much prefer Civ's "this tile produces three food, so here are THREE food symbols". And the city screen looks lovely and sleek but I can see those giant icons being a terrible design choice when you have a lot of potential stuff to build. It only shows 8 and then fades out the rest, despite there being plenty of room on the screen. These are details though and it's still in Alpha, so good chance it'll improve.

I'm a bit sad that racing wonders isn't a thing (starting one appears to lock others out of it), but I guess that would be cribbing Civ ideas a little too hard. And I guess it was always weird that everyone else had to rip down their pyramids just because someone else finished a pyramid first.

Shame we didn't see much of battles but I liked pretty much everything I saw there.

Dollars to doughnuts that the combat is in the vein of Endless Legend, i.e. map traversal of units that jumps into a miniature hex battlefield which represents the surrounding area. Looks like they made some noise about it differing from EL because it uses 'armies' rather than units, but it's not really clear what that means.

EL combat is many times over more interesting than Civ's because it has some semblance of depth, but I remember it could get pretty tiresome when high level AI just built tonnes of stacks and ram them into you over and over, and you are compelled to fight manually because the 'autocomplete' battle would just gently caress you over compared to just doing it yourself.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 18, 2020