Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

naem posted:

ever sit in a stall with lights on a timer long enough to get stuck in the dark?

Yes it makes hiding from the boss real easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think any of that is well-substantiated

While UV probably does a good job at killing viral particles it only takes seconds for droplets to travel from one person to another. Airflow may disperse things a little more, but can easily have the opposite effect if you're downwind of an infected person. If people are crowded together on a beach they're probably just as capable of infecting each other while in that group, and I'm not aware of j a nice day". They're going outside more and in the process going to more public indoor locations, which is overall much more dangerous than just staying indoors at home.

It's substantiated by my country and others being months ahead in the curve so we do have more experience.

People here respect social distancing mostly and wear masks and going outside is absolutely not an issue currently. The issue is mostly with crowded indoors. And those are regulated currently.

If you live in a country were people refuse to wear masks and to distance, they will go outside anyway, so it doesn't really matter if it gets warmer or not.

Otherwise, going outside while following safety measures seem to reduce risks as most mass contaminations seem to happen indoors

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 18, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

Traxis posted:

Yes it makes hiding from the boss real easy

imagine that only you also get bleached

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

nobody could have seen this coming.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I actually did not see 450k deaths in 6 months coming. If you had that on your bingo sheet back in jan, hats off I guess. I thought we'd get control of it across the world before it hit pandemic status. This is why I don't gamble.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

other people posted:

can we get space station toilets that (i assume) suck down all the poo poo and farts and corona?

All we need to do is attach our toilets to pipes that stick up and out the atmosphere.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1273434129338707969

:thunk:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Loyalty has a high price

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
He paid the iron lung price.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like sheriffs who don’t get corona.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

He’ll be 100% fine I bet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's substantiated by my country and others being months ahead in the curve so we do have more experience.

People here respect social distancing mostly and wear masks and going outside is absolutely not an issue currently. The issue is mostly with crowded indoors. And those are regulated currently.

If you live in a country were people refuse to wear masks and to distance, they will go outside anyway, so it doesn't really matter if it gets warmer or not.

Otherwise, going outside while following safety measures seem to reduce risks as most mass contaminations seem to happen indoors

I stand by what I wrote: the idea that just being outside more will significantly reduce infection rates is not well-substantiated regardless of whether people are wearing masks or social distancing. You're speculating that being outside reduces risk, but not showing that it does.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

He’ll be 100% fine I bet

Roll those dice, he did

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

He’ll be 100% fine I bet

I hope not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

there's a reason the indoor restaurant study is a bigger deal than the 'i walked past three people on the hiking trail' study

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I got tested because of medical stuff (no exposures or anything) on Monday; thankfully no corvids detected. I'm glad that I knew going into it that nasopharyngeal swabs are not fun. Spoiler alert: they are, in fact, not fun, but I think I was a lot more ready for it than the average person would've been because I'm familiar with infectious disease diagnostics. Had a runny nose and irritation for like 36 hours afterwards. *sniff*

Discussions going around at my work now about further staggering schedules and having people come in on weekends (but getting other weekdays off) in order to minimize social contact. I'm glad that my company is run by actual smart people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm starting to hear from people that the pandemic is "basically over" in the rest of the world and only the US is going to suffer from it.

Don't worry, eventually trumbo will tell Trudeau to open the border and then y'all can come infect canada.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't worry, eventually trumbo will tell Trudeau to open the border and then y'all can come infect canada.

i have waited for this invitation my whole life. finally i will join my ancestors in glorious french canadia. oui oui.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Facebook Aunt posted:

im still hoping to see a situation where the entire world is opened up, covid free, and the us administration is just bawling to have the rest of the world stop blockading their tourists from visiting them.

#blockadeUS

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Popoto posted:

im still hoping to see a situation where the entire world is opened up, covid free, and the us administration is just bawling to have the rest of the world stop blockading their tourists from visiting them.

#blockadeUS

Americans who own summer homes in canada are real mad right now, because visiting your cottage is not considered "essential travel"

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/h...28-5cc2c1cb1f50

quote:

BUFFALO, N.Y. — As Western New York begins to reopen one group of people are becoming increasingly frustrated with the inability to check on their property.

Western New Yorkers with property in Canada.

"I built a small cottage in 1969 and we've been there ever since," Wayne Alt of Buffalo said.

Alt owned land in Canada for more than 50 years, and he normally spends the summer months in his cabin near Algonquin provincial park. But because he’s non-essential, he can’t cross the border to visit his cabin or even check on it.

"I'm just concerned that I can't get over there because I pay taxes on the building, I pay taxes on the land," Alt said. "I'm concerned about environmental issues very much so I really want to get up there and it's located in the woods so you have a lot of trees falling and so on.

Alt is like a lot of Western New Yorkers who have a tradition of family vacations or owning property in Canada.

But according to a Reuter’s report two days ago, the border closure between the United States and Canada, which was set to expire on June 21, will not be extended through the end of July.

"I’m sad Canada isn't more concerned about the people who own land there and want to look after it," Alt said.
:qq:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Those poor rich people, not able to visit one of their multiple houses

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Every public bathroom sprays itself down with bleach between occupants.

i mean, this already exists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanisette

but it doesn't have granite countertops so no way am i pooping in there

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Those things already made me nervous but now they're just convenient roni dispensers.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1273597096105521155

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Standing in the ruins of a glass house but continuing to throw rocks to destroy any bits of structure left standing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When Kurt Eichenwald is able to successfully call you out, you know you need to take a step back from your moronic viewpoint.

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1272997807583113220?s=21

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe if enough rocks accumulate, the new rock house will be harder to break :thunk:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the hentai man is just a lib

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I have a cough now after having to go out in public 7 days ago, right about when the news started reporting massive spikes. My anxiety is skyrocketing.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Got a test done yesterday, since I've been feeling sick since Sunday. Would have gotten it earlier, but I wasn't really suffering any respiratory problems so much as digestive ones. But, a nurse practitioner friend recommended it since I'd completely forgot this thread's maxim about virus-laden aerosol plumes being a potential COVID symptom.

It was done at a CVS drive-thru, with about an hour of waiting. It might have gone faster but the little PA system they were using to explain to people how to self-administer the test would cut out so I imagine most people (like me) had to ask for some repeating. The process wasn't too terrible. The only time I could have hosed up was when I pulled out the vial to store the sample and didn't realize I needed to hold it upright since there was liquid in it. Fortunately, that got explained before I attempted to open it. (A lot of the instructions were "take this item out of the bag, see the item, you will hold it/use it this way, now open it" probably specifically for that reason.)

Hopefully I'll have my results by Saturday. The only annoying thing is that my groceries have run low and I'll need to hold up for another week+, primarily subsisting on protein shakes and whatever random canned goods I've got laying around.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I swear I'm not playing devil's advocate here -- what do we make of the fact that, while cases are up overall and skyrocketing in places like Florida, hospitalizations and deaths especially are still way, way down? Can that all be attributed to increased testing?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I swear I'm not playing devil's advocate here -- what do we make of the fact that, while cases are up overall and skyrocketing in places like Florida, hospitalizations and deaths especially are still way, way down? Can that all be attributed to increased testing?

A lot of Covid-related deaths are being attributed to "Unknown".

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

At least in Texas, which is one of the new hotspots, hospitalizations are rising quickly. Houston is dire in terms of ICU vacancy. As for deaths, those are a lagging indicator so wait a week or two to see what happens with it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

yes and also going to the hospital for COVID-19 in america means kissing your financial well-being goodbye forever

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

While I don’t disagree that things are on a time lag, and some deaths are being misclassified (perhaps intentionally), it is also true that with time, Doctors and Nurses are getting more experience fighting this and are learning what can help and what doesn’t help, which should improve outcomes until we overwhelm the capacity of the medical system again.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Can that all be attributed to increased testing?

No. These places were testing high numbers a month ago. I read a report that showed testing numbers from a month ago to now and they are relatively the same for most states.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

I hate those things so much. Nothing like playing a weird game of operation with your hands to avoid touching the disgusting innards that never get cleaned.

VVV idk if i trust high powered toliets this year. last thing 2020 needs to add is a rash of people losing their buttholes

Oh hey it's the expert level urinal. Disgusting that someone's sticking their hands in there though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

if you're talking about generally, not every state is Florida

if you're talking about just in Florida it's because it takes a week or more with covid for some people to get bad enough to go to the hospital and potentially several weeks after that to die

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also in Florida in particular, the average age of a positive tester is dropping noticeably. I have no idea if that’s a factor in hospitalization rate, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/AriSchulman/status/1273415350063898624