Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Holy goddamn poo poo yes, they should have killed them ages ago!

Not enthused about paying money for the privilege or eating my Adventurer's League +1, but if I can play an orc wizard I'm down.

i want to play a halfling raised by a tribe of barbarian goliaths who is deeply engrossed in that barbarian culture and carries his tribes relics on his back spreading the word of the mountain thunder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

So tonight my players were heading into the Dragon Barrow from the Icespire Peak module, and I decided I was just going to have them go through one of the Skyrim barrows (because there's plenty of detailed text walkthroughs of those, and that makes it a lot easier for me than trying to parse a map with symbols). It was a ton of fun. (They got past the dragon claw door with the Mystery Key that they'd picked up in the shrine that the wererats got driven out of by the orcs.) My sons didn't want to play, so I was rolling for them plus the NPC who's part of the party (the goblin they adopted back in Phandalin, and no, not the one from Cragmaw Castle, a different one from the very first starting ambush). I think it enhanced the fun for my husband and our neighbor (with whom we play) because, without even fudging any rolls, I consistently missed with all three characters for whom I was rolling, even with my younger son's bonus-against-dragons sword.

At the end I used the module's Invisible Stalker that's supposed to attack when you remove the sword (not the one from Cragmaw Castle, a second magic sword), but I described it as an angry, invisible dragon soul. (An invisible, angry dragon soul? Anyway, it wasn't happy with them.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Not enthused about paying money for the privilege or eating my Adventurer's League +1, but if I can play an orc wizard I'm down.

The hope is that the new book acts as like a PHB2.

With all the UA Class Variant stuff

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Dexo posted:

The hope is that the new book acts as like a PHB2.

With all the UA Class Variant stuff

Yea it's gonna suck if you have to choose Xanathar archetype/spells or having a dragonborn wizard.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/maps-extravaganza-software

Is this good? I know Campaign Cartographer is venerable, but is it worth 30 bucks with all the fixins?

I picked CC3 up, plus other stuff relating to it, via BundleofHolding much earlier in the year. I'll probably nab this bundle just for the extras.

Honestly didn't get super deep into it, it's all kind of... even as someone who uses Photoshop on the daily, it just didn't feel intuitive. I've come to learn that is because it's very much like autocad instead. The UI also feels very... 2010.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is this the place to ask about tabletop D&D campaign settings? Someone mentioned an rpg setting years ago that sounded novel as hell but I can't remember much if anything about it

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this the place to ask about tabletop D&D campaign settings? Someone mentioned an rpg setting years ago that sounded novel as hell but I can't remember much if anything about it

I mean, probably? Don't think there's a more generic "D&D but all the editions" thread after all. Do you remember... anything about it at all?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it the one with aliens from the moon and mechs? The one where each player is a dragon? The one where fly ships from one plane to another? Players each controlling countries?

Any details details could help.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My AL table just finished up chapter 4 of Horde of the Dragon Queen so they are in Greenest about to go to Elturel. I'd like to take them on a side mission (an AL legal module) to pick up a neat magic item unlock because HotDQ is kind of a turd and is bereft of magic loot. Problem is that DDEX01 takes place in Phlan which is a poo poo long way away from Elturel / Baldur's Gate.

Anyone have an idea for how I could slot something in on the trip from Greenest > Elturel or the river trip from Elturel > Baldur's Gate?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arthil posted:

I mean, probably? Don't think there's a more generic "D&D but all the editions" thread after all. Do you remember... anything about it at all?

It might have been spelljammer but it might not have been either. I think the entire thing takes place in like a giant living city? Or maybe a giant's dead body or something. I think people mine for stuff in its bowels (gross)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Quote's not edit.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Both Planescape and Spelljammer have had "inside the body of a dead (or dead-ish) giant/god/being" bits in them, but I have a feeling you're talking about something else that I can't remember the name of but I don't think was a D&D product, or at least not an official one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The city built around the Tarrasque? That was a cool rpg.net riff thread.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

It might have been spelljammer but it might not have been either. I think the entire thing takes place in like a giant living city? Or maybe a giant's dead body or something. I think people mine for stuff in its bowels (gross)

Sounds like someone took inspiration from James Morrow.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sebmojo posted:

The city built around the Tarrasque? That was a cool rpg.net riff thread.

http://www.saltinwoundssetting.com/2015/04/salt-in-wounds-overview-origin.html?m=1

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is there something stopping you from playing an Orc Wizard now? If that's the character you're interested in, there's nothing wrong with trying it, and making the non-traditional race/class combination part of your characterization. Some of my character concepts in progress have non-optimized race/class combinations because it adds some inner conflict and doubt.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread Orc as Half-Orc, I forgot about the -2 INT penalty full Orcs have.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 18, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is there something stopping you from playing an Orc Wizard now? If that's the character you're interested in, there's nothing wrong with trying it, and making the non-traditional race/class combination part of your characterization. Some of my character concepts in progress have non-optimized race/class combinations because it adds some inner conflict and doubt.

It’s not fun for some people to be bad at the thing you’re supposed to be good at.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Both Planescape and Spelljammer have had "inside the body of a dead (or dead-ish) giant/god/being" bits in them, but I have a feeling you're talking about something else that I can't remember the name of but I don't think was a D&D product, or at least not an official one.

It reminds me of the House of Rods and Chains in Sunless Skies, a settlement built out of the corpse of a Messenger, which is a giant space crab.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

You can just as easily do the nontraditional advanced characterization roleplay of inner conflict and doubt thing without also doing the -1 to class competency thing.

Reveilled posted:

It reminds me of the House of Rods and Chains in Sunless Skies, a settlement built out of the corpse of a Messenger, which is a giant space crab.

That's what I was thinking of when I said "Spelljammer", which I'm fairly sure had the inspiration for that.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 18, 2020

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

"I'm mathematically worse at doing what my class does than every other example of this class" is not a meaningful character concept. For the same reason that you shouldn't roll stats because no matter what some dude says, rolling for stats doesn't make the roleplay better because Bob has a 5% lower chance of succeeding at whatever than Alice. It just means you decided that the game system should just make someone straight up better than another.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do wonder how this new system will work, will the system let us mix and match abilities from other races, not just stat bonuses? I'd quite like getting dwarves' medium armor proficiency on some other races.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Syrinxx posted:

My AL table just finished up chapter 4 of Horde of the Dragon Queen so they are in Greenest about to go to Elturel. I'd like to take them on a side mission (an AL legal module) to pick up a neat magic item unlock because HotDQ is kind of a turd and is bereft of magic loot. Problem is that DDEX01 takes place in Phlan which is a poo poo long way away from Elturel / Baldur's Gate.

Anyone have an idea for how I could slot something in on the trip from Greenest > Elturel or the river trip from Elturel > Baldur's Gate?

Well how important is it to you that the sidequest happen in Phlan? Why not just rename it as being another city along the way? Baldur's Gate or Elturel could use more attention in HotDQ. Another way of looking at it would be using it to create adventure set-pieces throughout the journey. Maybe Freona's Tea Kettle is a small caravan that will join the larger wagon train heading out of Baldur's Gate, and all the various narratives refer to the travellers and the small villages they are passing by.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 18, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't mind the proposed option to customize racial ability scores to better match your character concept, and I probably would make use of that. Some of my character concepts do have racial/class synergy. It's fine if you want maximum optimization, nothing wrong with that at all.

However, if have a character concept for a Half-Orc Monk, or a Halfling Wizard, those are usually going to be different characters than if I create a Halfling Monk and High Elf Wizard.

Kaysette posted:

It’s not fun for some people to be bad at the thing you’re supposed to be good at.

I didn't say I was going to make an 8 Int Wizard or a 8 STR 10 CON Dragonborn Barbarian. They'll still be good at the thing they're supposed to be good at, even if they aren't purely optimized.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 18, 2020

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

There's nothing stopping you from still giving your character negative scores in things if you want to for roleplaying purposes

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

change my name posted:

There's nothing stopping you from still giving your character negative scores in things if you want to for roleplaying purposes

I'm stopping you because this is dumb as poo poo in 5e

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I didn't say I was going to make an 8 Int Wizard or a 8 STR 10 CON Dragonborn Barbarian. They'll still be good at the thing they're supposed to be good at, even if they aren't purely optimized.

It looks like you just started playing 5e in February.

mango sentinel posted:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
There is no rule that says you need to role-play to your ability scores.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

i can only RP effectively if every monster beats my toilet-tier spell save DC routinely

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mango sentinel posted:

I didn't say it wasn't dumb! just that it wasn't impossible!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Toshimo posted:

There is no rule that says you need to role-play to your ability scores.

No, but..

change my name posted:

giving your character negative scores in things if you want to for roleplaying purposes

this is fun because playing characters that are good at everything with few/no shortcomings is boring and I'd say actually kind of difficult honestly. You can do what you want however :shobon:

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of role-playing ability scores, I just had to bow out of a game with someone playing up their 6 int character as what I can only describe as a giant headache to the rest of us. Probably had something to do with the age difference as well, I'm too old to enjoy the same interactions that these young ins do. I'm super new to D&D, but I figured out pretty quick that I don't enjoy people rolling without having the DM ask for a roll or building a character as a --I think it's a "munchkin" type trope?-- in order to influence the story in a way they want instead. I did figure out I love the idea of shared narrative though: if I roll well to do something I like the idea of explaining how it looked/how I pulled it off, but I LOVE the idea of rolling extremely poorly and describing the awful way I imagine I hosed up, if that works for the DM as well.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

No Safe Word posted:

playing characters that are good at everything with few/no shortcomings is boring and I'd say actually kind of difficult honestly

sure but tanking your main stat is dumb as hell in a game with rules like 5e

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

Speaking of role-playing ability scores, I just had to bow out of a game with someone playing up their 6 int character as what I can only describe as a giant headache to the rest of us. Probably had something to do with the age difference as well, I'm too old to enjoy the same interactions that these young ins do. I'm super new to D&D, but I figured out pretty quick that I don't enjoy people rolling without having the DM ask for a roll or building a character as a --I think it's a "munchkin" type trope?-- in order to influence the story in a way they want instead. I did figure out I love the idea of shared narrative though: if I roll well to do something I like the idea of explaining how it looked/how I pulled it off, but I LOVE the idea of rolling extremely poorly and describing the awful way I imagine I hosed up, if that works for the DM as well.

It's possible to play a dumb character without them being too stupid to live or know what's going/able to hold a conversation. Just because they're not book smart doesn't mean they can't think things through, use tactics, etc, sounds like this person was just bad at roleplaying or not considerate.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've noticed a strong correlation between "I want to tank my main stat for interesting roleplay" and "I will repeatedly, dramatically gently caress over the party with my roleplay decisions because the attention should be on me! me! me!".

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kaysette posted:

I don't think anyone actually suggested that though?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
people keep conflating "tank my main stat" and "start with 1 lower mainstat modifier" and I really don't think those are the same thing

it's not mechanically optimal but also that's such a small margin and there's so many other things that factor into a D&D character's mechanical performance that in practice no sane person would dwell on it to the extent we're talking about

making a caster with an 8 casting stat or w/e actually is a dumb idea, but is weirdly significantly more plausible than making a non-caster with an 8 strength and dexterity, because there's so many spells that really don't give a poo poo what your stats are

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kaysette posted:

I'm not tanking my main stats. I said that. There is a difference between non-optimized stats and dump stats. The main stats are going to be as high as I can get them while still keeping my chosen race. That is also not the same thing as "I will gently caress over the party with my roleplaying decisions".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
talking about how you would take the stupid idea of a cleric with an 8 wisdom and make them a useful party member is actually significantly cooler than grinding your teeth to dust calling people stupid because they don't see the problem with playing a race that doesn't get +2 to primary stat, imo

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

change my name posted:

It's possible to play a dumb character without them being too stupid to live or know what's going/able to hold a conversation. Just because they're not book smart doesn't mean they can't think things through, use tactics, etc, sounds like this person was just bad at roleplaying or not considerate.

Yeah I don't think it is a problem at large, just a problem with the person. They also didn't show up to our session zero so I imagine it was just a general lack of consideration. I think the idea of having a weak point of character reflected in your stats is cool and can be good, just needs to be established and agreed upon by the people you're playing the game with. I wouldn't trust it in a game of random people who have little to no conversation before a game starts.

I have another game with a character who refuses to be a combat kind of guy, but we've all talked about it and he hasn't ever stolen spotlight or purposefully ruined anything for anyone else. We also all have known each other for years by now. That all fits the vibe of that table and everyone discussed it beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

No Safe Word posted:

I don't think anyone actually suggested that though?

sorry yes i'm being hyperbolic, just talking about orc wizards

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

it's not mechanically optimal but also that's such a small margin and there's so many other things that factor into a D&D character's mechanical performance that in practice no sane person would dwell on it to the extent we're talking about

making a caster with an 8 casting stat or w/e actually is a dumb idea, but is weirdly significantly more plausible than making a non-caster with an 8 strength and dexterity, because there's so many spells that really don't give a poo poo what your stats are

this i disagree with. pumping the main stat has been hugely important for the efficacy of every caster i've played. spells definitely "give a poo poo" about your main stat since that determines your save DC and to hit? binary success with a "bounded accuracy" low range of outcomes means that +1 int is extremely important.