Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No doubt, but every country is racist to some degree, the US just has idiosyncratic ways of dealing with that, for better and for worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, Europeans talk about Americans being racist, but who do you think they learned it from

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
We can all degree that building the foundation of the United States on the backs of African slaves is easily and by far the lowest point of The Simpsons

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

bitterandtwisted posted:

Arnie Pye's traffic report being called "Arnie in the Sky" is such a great little joke and so typical of the classic era.

:aaaaa:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Phlegmish posted:

That's what often makes me uncomfortable when it comes to American media, that laser focus on 'race'. It almost seems indecent somehow. It's like how white American goons on this site are constantly making supposedly self-deprecating jokes about them all smelling like dog and loving mayonnaise XD, and cringe remarks like that seem to come up all the time regardless of context. Whether punching up or down or sideways, it often just seems to loop right back around to essentialism.

Thing is, and I would say it's mostly thanks to those same goons that I've realized this, there are historical reasons for it. Racial background really does make a difference in the US (and elsewhere), and it really is important to examine, and ignoring it by proclaiming yourself to be colorblind isn't necessarily the solution. If pointing out reality makes you uncomfortable, that's the point. I personally think that reinforcing those arbitrary historical racial classifications is a mixed bag, even when you do it by chanting 'kill whitey' with varying degrees of irony, but I understand the reasoning. It makes sense.

Just last week I was having dinner with my European boomer parents and they were going on about how racist Americans are. I explained that that was dumb, it's just much more polarized over there, and being obsessed with race is not the same as being racist in the way that we would normally interpret that word. These same parents ironically also like to make 'un-PC' boomer remarks that would likely get them probated on here.

i have literally no idea what point you are making

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

The Simpsons is bad now

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

That's what often makes me uncomfortable when it comes to American media, that laser focus on 'race'. It almost seems indecent somehow. It's like how white American goons on this site are constantly making supposedly self-deprecating jokes about them all smelling like dog and loving mayonnaise XD, and cringe remarks like that seem to come up all the time regardless of context. Whether punching up or down or sideways, it often just seems to loop right back around to essentialism.

Thing is, and I would say it's mostly thanks to those same goons that I've realized this, there are historical reasons for it. Racial background really does make a difference in the US (and elsewhere), and it really is important to examine, and ignoring it by proclaiming yourself to be colorblind isn't necessarily the solution. If pointing out reality makes you uncomfortable, that's the point. I personally think that reinforcing those arbitrary historical racial classifications is a mixed bag, even when you do it by chanting 'kill whitey' with varying degrees of irony, but I understand the reasoning. It makes sense.

Just last week I was having dinner with my European boomer parents and they were going on about how racist Americans are. I explained that that was dumb, it's just much more polarized over there, and being obsessed with race is not the same as being racist in the way that we would normally interpret that word. These same parents ironically also like to make 'un-PC' boomer remarks that would likely get them probated on here.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
actually, the real racists are...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Riptor posted:

A bit of a tangent on why certain episodes might not connect with non-Americans.

Now, I will briefly provide a historical overview of......

e: it's like the religion-themed Simpsons episodes, they're pretty specific to the US.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 18, 2020

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

what was it again?
https://youtu.be/n-Mz_rDeP04

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I remember it being the first time that someone said "even if you get all of Dennis' references, it still makes no goddamned sense."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's basically like half of what Quagmire does it seems. Problem with Family Guy is they don't know when to hold back. It's got basically a Newgrounds sense of humour at this point.

Though in this case it kinda feels like it's an interesting and positive thing to have Peter's black ancestor be shown as basically him, especially when the rest of the episode's jokes revolve around the massive culture gap and difficulty of communication between him and black Americans- that an ancestor in a very different time, place and culture can still have a lot in common with you because of the little things. Seems like a good pushback against the ideas somehow popping up even with supposed progressives that non-white perspectives are impossible to understand.

There was a season 3 episode that never originally aired (It was on the DVDs, then was eventually aired on Adult Swim) where Peter makes a Jewish friend who helps him to get out of a scam. The Jewish guy then takes Peter to a synagogue after Peter shows that he's ignorant of Jewish culture. Peter then decides after meeting a bunch of successful Jewish people that he wants to convert his son to Judaism. It's all kind of wrapped in this message that among other things, even so-called "positive" stereotypes are harmful and Peter's ignorance is something to look down on. Even the jokes about Jews and Catholics in the episode come from a place where the show is ridiculing ignorance, and I think that's the difference between season 1-3 Family Guy and the later episodes. There's some edge and poorly-aged jokes in those first seasons, but they still have a lot of heart. Modern FG, besides just being mean for the sake of mean, is heartless in a depressing nihilistic sense.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 19, 2020

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

It's jarring watching how earnest some early family guy episodes can be. Like Brian giving the dying woman a musical sendoff via the VR helmets. There's shockingly little irony to it

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Mods, look. I haven't asked for much in my time here. I've tried to be humble, and I've tried to be considerate, but there's only so much I can stand.

I demand my name be changed to "Man... With his Pants Off!"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Riptor posted:

It's jarring watching how earnest some early family guy episodes can be. Like Brian giving the dying woman a musical sendoff via the VR helmets. There's shockingly little irony to it

It's like that with early Simpsons too. I don't know what it is with sitcoms that go on too long that they feel the need to be meanspirited.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There is a trend with later Simpson’s episodes where they take care of an animal only for it to die horribly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's like that with early Simpsons too. I don't know what it is with sitcoms that go on too long that they feel the need to be meanspirited.

Both The Simpsons and Family Guy are making fun of a type of sitcom that have completely vanished. That period from Andy Griffith through, like, The Cosby Show when "mildly pleasant" was the vibe every family sitcom went for.

Roseanne and Married with Children tore that apart and also kinda returned the sitcom to its roots of The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy, where most jokes are family members making GBS threads on each other. During The Simpsons and Family Guy's runs, the last of the pleasant family sitcoms (which I guess would be like Family Matters and Step By Step) disappeared, and now the show's mocking what? The audience has no frame of reference for those jokes anymore, so they just become more standard shows that fit in with every other show on TV.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PostNouveau posted:

Both The Simpsons and Family Guy are making fun of a type of sitcom that have completely vanished. That period from Andy Griffith through, like, The Cosby Show when "mildly pleasant" was the vibe every family sitcom went for.

Roseanne and Married with Children tore that apart and also kinda returned the sitcom to its roots of The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy, where most jokes are family members making GBS threads on each other. During The Simpsons and Family Guy's runs, the last of the pleasant family sitcoms (which I guess would be like Family Matters and Step By Step) disappeared, and now the show's mocking what?

Part of why American Dad's funniest seasons are its latest are that its gone into mocking itself and other animated sitcoms. Having the b-plot of one episode be the characters freaking out about having Barry and Jeff meet each other for the first time because animated sitcoms inevitably start teaming up super minor characters as they run out of plot ideas, have a b-plot where the characters have two choices and agonize about it because they can only ever do one "thing" each week before getting upset that they picked the wrong one. Its gotten steadily more meta as time goes on to the shows benefit I think.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Part of why American Dad's funniest seasons are its latest are that its gone into mocking itself and other animated sitcoms. Having the b-plot of one episode be the characters freaking out about having Barry and Jeff meet each other for the first time because animated sitcoms inevitably start teaming up super minor characters as they run out of plot ideas, have a b-plot where the characters have two choices and agonize about it because they can only ever do one "thing" each week before getting upset that they picked the wrong one. Its gotten steadily more meta as time goes on to the shows benefit I think.

Yeah I thought the most recent episode's deconstruction of the family's dynamics was really funny. The 3 people who are home the most getting super insecure about it and starting a dumb business. They never pointed this out before, but it made things "click" a lot better when Jeff wakes up wondering if he missed The Price is Right.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I wonder which major demon the creators of American Dad had to make a deal with for the show to have remained so consistent over, what, 17 seasons?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Communist Walrus posted:

I wonder which major demon the creators of American Dad had to make a deal with for the show to have remained so consistent over, what, 17 seasons?

The main characters name is Stan, and he has a friend who becomes a Satanist...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It seems inevitable to the point of overdue to have an animated sitcom start making fun of animated sitcoms.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It seems inevitable to the point of overdue to have an animated sitcom start making fun of animated sitcoms.
Bojack

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Riptor posted:

Like Brian giving the dying woman a musical sendoff via the VR helmets. There's shockingly little irony to it

That would have been a moment with heart, but it's Family Guy so they had to go and ruin it immediately with "HEY, ANYBODY WANNA SEE A DEAD BODY?!?!"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

That would have been a moment with heart, but it's Family Guy so they had to go and ruin it immediately with "HEY, ANYBODY WANNA SEE A DEAD BODY?!?!"

Whoops forgot that

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I kind of liked that episode. Where early Simpsons were often too maudlin and sentimental for my taste, I taught Family Guy struck a good balance there.

I have no interest in watching current Family Guy, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was it, though? For the most part the shows mainly featured are parodies of 90s live action sitcoms, and then go on to Oscar bait movies with Secretariat, and prestige television (and also the show itself) with Philbert.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

the most important part of the Simpsons' legacy: it's effect on regional variations on "Jingle Bells Batman Smells"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5u9JSnAAU4&t=618s

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ah that one. seems it was before i knew who the hell dennis miller actually was.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Lowest point was when Lowtax beat a woman, again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No that episode won't be coming out until five years from now

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I actually never liked the episode where Homer bankrupts his half brothers car company.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

I actually never liked the episode where Homer bankrupts his half brothers car company.

Herb had no right to blame Homer for that.

His engineers tried to warn him, and he knew well that Homer knew jack-poo poo about designing a car.

He dismissed all that out of hand and just charged forward, even publicly revealing the car having never even seen it himself. Herb was an idiot.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

The Bible posted:

His engineers tried to warn him, and he knew well that Homer knew jack-poo poo about designing a car.

He dismissed all that out of hand and just charged forward, even publicly revealing the car having never even seen it himself. Herb was an idiot.

They even joke about this in the audio commentary.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bronze Fonz posted:

Lowest point was when Lowtax beat a woman, again.

It was pointed out in TVIV that The Simpsons was already in Season 11 when this community started, so unless you're abjectly generous - Zombie Simpsons outlasted Something Awful

Oh, and since you're going to remember it out of the blue one day among the million other memories of this site, it's important to me you know for sure - Man With His Pants Off was 100% a real story

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

bitterandtwisted posted:

the most important part of the Simpsons' legacy: it's effect on regional variations on "Jingle Bells Batman Smells"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5u9JSnAAU4&t=618s

I'm still confused he never talked about the very first Simpsons episode, as opposed to $pringfield. That's where I learned that version.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

DENTAL PLAN!
LOWTAX BEATS WOMEN!
DENTAL PLAN!
LOWTAX BEATS WOMEN!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Bible posted:

A CEO who's a dumbass who stumbled into success off of other peoples' smarts? How unbelievable!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Herb's return to success was also pretty questionable. I mean I guess he used ingenuity, but you could also look at the baby translator invention as a huge scam to rip off new parents.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

iamsosmrt posted:

Herb's return to success was also pretty questionable. I mean I guess he used ingenuity, but you could also look at the baby translator invention as a huge scam to rip off new parents.

thats probably the most realistic thing about the entire episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

charity rereg posted:

thats probably the most realistic thing about the entire episode

You mean the scam part of the actual device? It worked in canon right? I only made the scam observation on a recent re-watch under the lens of a cynical adult.