Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

The old man wants a leather case for his 11. What are the best alternatives?

Just get him what he wants?

Either the Apple one or saddleback leather IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can’t go wrong with the Apple one. It’s gone on sale a few times.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah mostly I'm just going "STOP PRESERVING TRASH WITH ONE WEIRD TRICK THAT MAKES PEOPLE HAVE WEIRD IDEAS ABOUT HOW poo poo WORKS".

Battery university gets you halfway up to speed and yes, the actual optimal charge is indeed, very likely, depending on exact li-ion chemistry, that 3.92V translating to around 60%.

Thing is once you take away the degradation from daily use (it's not actually the battery needing to be discharged that's not even a li-ion thing, it's cycling and being stored at a high voltage, made doubly bad by high voltage causing faster self-discharge so you need to top it up more often) - you're at the point where you should ask "so is this going to die to degradation from charge or from the electrolyte going fucky?".

Either way if you can easily explain how to fix poo poo, then it's probably built into iOS. Due to the space requirement for a variety of sensors extreme temperatures, especially when charging, are a Bad Thing iOS might not notice. So, don't charge your phone below freezing or leave it in a hot car.

Other than that - charging it to 80% and then disconnecting it? You're getting extra cycles from the functions of the phone not being powered off the wall in exchange for avoiding a full charge, and optimized charging already makes the last 20% be much slower to avoid battery strain.

iPhones do not charge just because they're connected to a charger and it's displaying the "charging" icon when it's connected to a charger. iPhones charge as appropriate for their battery and the Apple statement even explicitly confirms they don't actually keep the batteries at 100%, because charging back up every time a battery drops even a little is bad for the lifespan in a way that actually matters if you're dumb charging poo poo to a specific voltage and in no way at all if you're using a smart device not made by someone who wouldn't know their battery from a fire in their pocket.

Now if you're sufficiently brave, clever and experienced there's a wealth of things you can do absolutely not in any way worth doing to make your already-obsolete pocket computer have the very best battery it can.

Maybe remove social media apps and then reinstall and relogin in them? That... might... work.

I can't speak for the cold, but your phone shuts itself off pretty quickly when it gets too hot, and it triggers the heat shut off much quickly if you're trying to charge it. The phones are better at protecting themselves from getting there through normal use than some of the olden days, where I had to put my phone in a freezer bag if I was charging it while driving in the desert for extended periods, or just needed to put it in a beverage koozie just to use it in general some days. Now if I just use a plastic case (or go caseless) in summer it's usually enough for the phone to make it through.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

MarcusSA posted:

Just get him what he wants?

Either the Apple one or saddleback leather IMO.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can’t go wrong with the Apple one. It’s gone on sale a few times.
For some strange reason they don’t make leather cases for the 11, which is why I need some help.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Nomad makes quality stuff. https://nomadgoods.com/products/rugged-case-rustic-brown-iphone-11

But if you're looking for "cheapest and 'leather'" all of the fake-brand-name ones on Amazon are more than likely the same exact case.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

For some strange reason they don’t make leather cases for the 11, which is why I need some help.

Oh! That’s right!

Sorry it’s weird that they don’t. I completely forgot about that.

The nomad ones seem ok though from what I’ve read.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I have a leather Mous one for my 11 Pro that's decent. It has plastic around the sides and camera cutout. Pretty spendy I think, though.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Here's my battery tip: go to a local phone place and have them replace your battery. It doesn't cost very much and it makes the phone immeasurably better. Don't be one of those people who posts about how much you're suffering with your antiquated SE, 7 or 8 because of it's poor battery.

I just assume my phone will need a new battery at least once in my ownership.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've got a second job and I'd like to corral its emails into a separate app. Already using Outlook for my main job and Mail for personal. Any other recs for an email that's using an organization-specific Exchange account? Not much I'd really need in the features department. A discrete notification noise would be neat I guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

The old man wants a leather case for his 11. What are the best alternatives?

I bought the Mujjo case which smells and feels like real leather and felt good in the hand, but the buttons are part of the same leather case, not metal cutouts like on the Apple case, and they were just too mushy for my liking. They're supposed to feel better over time but I just didn't like it.

I ended up just getting a cheap ESR leather case which doesn't feel quite as nice but it's sturdy, uses plastic cutout buttons that feel much better. Pretty sure it's fake leather stuff but I've had it for 6 months and still looks brand new, no scratches or anything.

I've heard the Nomad is the closest to an Apple replacement but didn't want to spend the $50.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thank you! I’ll probably get the Nomad even though the price is lol.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a way to force offload local photos to iCloud? My sister turned on iCloud recently, but her storage is still full with photos.

(I get that she should eventually do a proper hard photo backup)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Google photos as it's been mentioned last few posts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

a) that doesn't preserve full resolution for free, afaiaa b) why depend on a third party solution? I don't understand why this shouldn't work with iCloud.

I mean, you can have basically all your photos on iCloud, with local previews, I just don't know if you can control how much is local.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

B. Cause that's not how iCloud photos works. You delete off the device it deletes from the cloud.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

But if you go to Settings -> hit your ID at the top -> iCloud -> Photos -> Optimize iPhone Storage, that may help.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Turn on optimize phone storage

Motherfucker

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wrote a big response about how I set all that up for her, including optimizing storage space, despite which the phone remained full even after a few days. But I decided to ask her again before hitting post, and all those local copies are gone (good). I don't know if it was an issue with wifi (I don't think so), or something else acting finicky, but this is how I expected it to work. Photos are now a sliver on the disk usage bar.

Thanks for replies anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Horace posted:

Here's my battery tip: go to a local phone place and have them replace your battery. It doesn't cost very much and it makes the phone immeasurably better. Don't be one of those people who posts about how much you're suffering with your antiquated SE, 7 or 8 because of it's poor battery.

I just assume my phone will need a new battery at least once in my ownership.

Those cheap replacement batteries are often no better than the worn out original in my experience. The phone really needs to go off to Apple for a replacement to be worthwhile.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I think photos hangs onto the local copies until you run low on disk space, then it starts purging.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I bought this 11 Pro rather than replace my Pixel 2 battery because it's out of support in October anyway. Now I have a $1800 CAD phone that can't even fade in alarms. What's the best app to replace the default's morning jump scare?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I bought this 11 Pro rather than replace my Pixel 2 battery because it's out of support in October anyway. Now I have a $1800 CAD phone that can't even fade in alarms. What's the best app to replace the default's morning jump scare?

the bedtime alarm function is pretty chill.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Laserface posted:

Game changer when it came to not waking the wife up with my alarm.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

dissss posted:

Those cheap replacement batteries are often no better than the worn out original in my experience. The phone really needs to go off to Apple for a replacement to be worthwhile.

I've never noticed a difference. I'm sure there are some garbage tier batteries out there, but the aftermarket ones I've used have been as long lasting as the Apple one but for less than half the price. Go to a well reviewed shop with a warranty in any case.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Laserface posted:

I can't seem to set that to a custom sound?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Shumagorath posted:

Sleep Cycle does exactly that and more. It's an excellent alarm for people that want to wake up over a period of time instead of immediately.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Get a smart watch to wear to sleep and wake up gently with its vibration alarm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Get a smart watch to wear to sleep and wake up gently with its vibration alarm.

I tried that for one night and it sucked. The vibration didn't wake me up, having a brick strapped to my arm made sleep uncomfortable, and having to charge my watch in the morning annoyed me.

Sleep Cycle on the nightstand is about perfect (except when I'm rolled the wrong way and gotta flip over to be able to tap to snooze).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

xzzy posted:

I tried that for one night and it sucked. The vibration didn't wake me up, having a brick strapped to my arm made sleep uncomfortable, and having to charge my watch in the morning annoyed me.

Sleep Cycle on the nightstand is about perfect (except when I'm rolled the wrong way and gotta flip over to be able to tap to snooze).

Try an Apple Watch. The vibration wakes me up every morning. It's not a brick. It charges fast enough where I just throw it on the charger while I shower and get ready for work and it's juiced up plenty.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

An Apple watch is what I used. :v:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

An Apple watch is what I used. :v:

I'm with you xzzy. I fall asleep easier when I take bullshit off my wrist, I know the feeling.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Try an Apple Watch. The vibration wakes me up every morning. It's not a brick. It charges fast enough where I just throw it on the charger while I shower and get ready for work and it's juiced up plenty.

It’s so funny when the problems with a £900 phone are solved by buying a £400 watch

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I can't seem to set that to a custom sound?

nope.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
This is probably a really dumb question but I'm having a hard time formulating a google search that will get me the answer: I got an iPhone SE 2020 (or whatever it is called), and have it paired with my car radio via bluetooth. When I use google maps, the first second or so of each direction gets cut off, almost like the connection goes to sleep or something during silence, and only wakes back up after some brief pause. If I have music playing constantly, it keeps going.

...is there some way to make this not happen? Its pretty annoying.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Unfortunately that seems to be a thing that some bluetooth devices do.
Is there a way to get Google maps to put a half second blank audio at the beginning? I dunno.

Otherwise, what kind of stereo? Maybe it has a firmware update.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I imagine you could probably like, find a blank audio clip and keep it on loop? I don't know if there's some easy way to make Google Maps play more nicely over Bluetooth though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It also has to do with your specific year and car model and how that system works. It's all very specific and annoying, which ties into why BT is a frustrating standard. But it's unlikely to change in the next few years.

A good way to fix it is to make sure you have a new car :v: they're tested pretty well these days to work with the flagship phones. A few years ago, not so much.

I have a car that's a few years old and gave up trying to make BT navi directions work properly so I go without now and just rely on the visual, but I realize that's difficult for other folks and also probably less safe.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 18, 2020

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
Well my car is a nearly 20 year-old beater with an also very old & cheap after market radio... so there's probably not a lot of hope for me here. I looked through the radio manual and settings and couldn't find an option for "add annoying dead space to beginning of audio when using iPhone" - I'll probably just try plugging it in directly next, since I will the have phone plugged into something anyway when I'm driving to keep it from draining the battery.

This radio did work fine on an older android with bluetooth and google maps exactly like I am trying to do now, so I'm a little surprised it doesn't with the iPhone, but I guess maybe I shouldn't be.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
See if there’s a firmware update for the stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

if its an old head unit there is a)unlikely anything you can do to fix it besides maybe having music streaming at the same time and b)lol firmware updates for head units good luck.

BT has only really become 'good' in the past 5 years. probably less. its still incredibly bad.