Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress overwatch and gently caress anyone that isn't trying to punch a tank in the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

:rip: in piss overwatch

I'm glad it's dead

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

JBP posted:

gently caress overwatch and gently caress anyone that isn't trying to punch a tank in the head

I'm really looking forward to replacing my guardsmen screen with a punisher tank screen because they'll do the same job but better. Who would have thought that 9th would have me replacing the infantry support for my tanks with yet more tanks?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
No more waiting for some jackass to roll a billion dice for boys firing overwatch, then trying to work out how many extra rolls adding an hour to the game.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I kinda like the idea of simultaneous turns somehow letting shots get fired and the charge/assault all happening before models are removed.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I’m just gonna go ahead and throw my old taus in a dumpster and focus on painting up the necrons left by my ex. My scions/warglaives/assassins remain to be seen

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Deathguard

I'm ready papa. I've been good.

Where did you find these blessings? Also what are the Poxmongers? :confused:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
My Sisters of Battle Army Box arrived several weeks early, which is fantastic given the global crisis, but is now going to have me staring at it and licking my chops in the final week before I go on holidays.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Go on put a sister together as a treat.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I actually need to pick up some glue before I can, but I'm definitely going to start cleaning and assembling them when I have some time this weekend. Someone earlier mentioned that it's best to pick up a Penitent Engine as well so I can make both as Mortifiers or the other one that I can't remember the name of, but it seems like the Penitent Engine box comes with two, so wouldn't that just leave me with two upgraded ones and one normal one anyway?

I also need to pick up about fifteen paints and a primer, so ouch on that front also.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 18, 2020

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Dan Didio posted:

I actually need to pick up some glue before I can, but I'm definitely going to start cleaning and assembling them when I have some time this weekend. Someone earlier mentioned that it's best to pick up a Penitent Engine as well so I can make both as Mortifiers or the other one that I can't remember the name of, but it seems like the Penitent Engine box comes with two, so wouldn't that just leave me with two upgraded ones and one normal one anyway?

I also need to pick up about fifteen paints and a primer, so ouch on that front also.

I think the idea was just to use some of the bits from the Penitent Engine/Mortifier box to make it more obvious that your PE from the army box is meant to be a Penitent, but to be honest if you put down a unit of Mortifiers and one of them is the PE nobody is going to notice or care.

Incidentally, this is the one thing that annoys me about the Sisters box - the Sisters and Seraphim are ok, but all of the Repentia/Penitent Engine/Arco-flagellants are in weird little demi-units that aren't really any use to anyone since the multi-part kits are sold as full sized units, or in the case of the PE are sold in 2s to make up a unit of max size 4. I know that mostly it was just to pad the box out and show off what they were doing for the army, but it's kind of weird that you just have these guys hanging around not fitting anywhere in particular.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It’s weird and it does suck, but it at least makes some sense for the Sisters given they’d just been revamped, it’s awful in some of the SC boxes, though.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm not sure there really is a difference visually between Mortifiers with flamers and Penitent Engines. Obviously there's the sarcophagus for the Anchorite, but otherwise if you use the female pilot it could be a Mortifier or just a female "victim" in the Engine.

Oh, and the sarcophagus/pilot is super easy to magnetize. The arms/weapons are absolute hell.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

DrDraxium posted:

Where did you find these blessings? Also what are the Poxmongers? :confused:

Full rules leaked out a little early. Poxmongers is one of the new Plague Companies that the Death Guard can organise themselves into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61BSuod6H8

Gunder fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 18, 2020

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Dan Didio posted:

It’s weird and it does suck, but it at least makes some sense for the Sisters given they’d just been revamped, it’s awful in some of the SC boxes, though.

It might not be worth worrying about in the long run. Shifting meta and all that. Just build whatever if you don’thave a particular deployment plan in mind atm.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Guard should be able to First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire! and then shoot as if it were the shooting phase in the opponent's charge phase.

If I was writing a new Guard codex for 9th one of the things I'd include is something that lets squads overwatch if a charge is declared. It then makes the stratagem that exists now where you can pay 1 CP to merge squads more relevant. If they realise that having conscripts as the same price as guardsmen despite being objectively worse i guess you may see more conscripts again if only to fire like 60 overwatch shots from your screen as the crap BS doesn't matter, and then something to stop them from just running away in fear after half of them inevitably die.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gameko posted:

It might not be worth worrying about in the long run. Shifting meta and all that. Just build whatever if you don’thave a particular deployment plan in mind atm.

That’s pretty much what am I going to do, I like all the models in the box as they are and I can always get something different down the line.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Gunder posted:

Full rules leaked out a little early. Poxmongers is one of the new Plague Companies that the Death Guard can organise themselves into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61BSuod6H8

I played a game yesterday with the new rules. Poxmongers PBCs and MBHs rolling up the board with 4 up invulnerables, falling out and shooting if tied up. It's bananas. Also holy poo poo the foul blightspawns strat for more str/shots... that's one dead repulsor.

I'm reeeaaaally happy with deathguard.

Edit: also secondary warlord trait character, plague surgeon pregame strat to get a poor-mans arch contaminator, good entropy cannons, bolters becoming plague weapons. It's really exciting. People are already complaining about mobility not being addressed but with how much more aggressive you can play, and the increased threat at range i think in practice it plays really well. Shorter boards are going to make it even more so.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 18, 2020

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Kitchner posted:

If I was writing a new Guard codex for 9th one of the things I'd include is something that lets squads overwatch if a charge is declared. It then makes the stratagem that exists now where you can pay 1 CP to merge squads more relevant. If they realise that having conscripts as the same price as guardsmen despite being objectively worse i guess you may see more conscripts again if only to fire like 60 overwatch shots from your screen as the crap BS doesn't matter, and then something to stop them from just running away in fear after half of them inevitably die.

The downside to that is that it's objectively worse in every instance than Rank Fire with the exception of if the enemy is out of range, and even then the only enemies that would make the order worth it are ones that can cover at least 12" and still charge.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Full rules for Creations of Bile seem to have leaked too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm reeeaaaally happy with deathguard.

:zombie::hf::zombie:

Count me in as super pumped. I may have to bite the bullet for two detachments, because 4++ super daemon engines and Typhus and 20-60 poxwalkers deepstriking to overwhelm things sounds super fun. I’m sure after some review I’ll arrive at an “optimal” build but the options in the new book are great.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It didn't seem like we got actual 9th edition rule updates, instead getting some model paintjobs, but they snuck some juicy tidbits in with the Sister of Battle updates!

First, we got an update to the Charge rules to make up for Overwatch, and prevent having your cake and eating it too:

* In the new edition, your charge roll has to be sufficient to reach ALL of the units you have declared a charge against, otherwise your charge is unsuccessful and no models are moved.

Then we got the return of Look Out, Sir, which now seems to combine the old rule and the new character targeting rules. You're still vulnerable if you're the closest visible unit, but bundle them close to some non-character units and they're safe.

They're also implying Morale's gonna be a bigger deal in the new edition. I'm curious what they could do to make it more punishing, because it's already harsh enough on paper that horde factions need to flat-out invent ways of ignoring it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

This is a great change to ensure characters are actually nearby other units to gain a benefit. Being untargetable because another unit across the table was 2” closer was silly.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

PierreTheMime posted:

This is a great change to ensure characters are actually nearby other units to gain a benefit. Being untargetable because another unit across the table was 2” closer was silly.

Agreed. I like it because there's nuance to it, too. The enemy character might be leading the pack, but there might be another unit that's closer to you and drawing your attention, so you can't shoot with enough precision to pick out the character. But then if that character becomes your closest target, he's wide open. It means you can still be more aggressive with characters taking point, because they do still have protective options. But now you can't be nonsensical with it, and a bad shooting phase (for example, if in Image 1, the rightmost unit gets wiped out by another squad) can leave your character open if you play too risky.

It also means that those MSU elite squads we just said this edition seemed to revolve around are now disadvantaged by being way worse at protecting characters. That 30-strong blob of boyz is going to do a way better job at protecting characters, and but your 5 Intercessors lose that protection as soon as half of them are taken down.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 18, 2020

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The rule doesn't mention the shooting phase anymore. Does that mean psychic powers can't snipe characters as easily now?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

xtothez posted:

The rule doesn't mention the shooting phase anymore. Does that mean psychic powers can't snipe characters as easily now?

It specifically mentions a ranged weapon, so psychic powers that deal wounds and don't target the closest enemy unit (like Bolt of Change) can probably still snipe. However, psychic powers that let you shoot out of phase (like GSC Mind Control) are going to have a problem.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Seems they forgot battlesuits? Or maybe battlesuits get vehicle keyword? Or maybe riptides/etc won’t protect characters.

E: vv oops, ghost keel too I see. I missed it somehow.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 18, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Seems they forgot battlesuits? Or maybe battlesuits get vehicle keyword? Or maybe riptides/etc won’t protect characters.

Riptides count as monsters, or at least have in 7th/8th

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

I really hope there's something that addresses characters and surrounding units making separate charge rolls, because it's going to suck worse than it does now if you lose your character protection because he decided he couldn't be bothered to follow his friends into melee.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Did they change chaplain dreadnoughts or Bjorn before so that you could target them? Haven't paid any attention to wh40k for a long time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Giant Isopod posted:

I really hope there's something that addresses characters and surrounding units making separate charge rolls, because it's going to suck worse than it does now if you lose your character protection because he decided he couldn't be bothered to follow his friends into melee.

I hope so too. Not even just for character protection, but also because aura conga lines are the dumbest thing in 40k IMO. I like characters boosting squads. I like that you can spread out units to, say, contend multiple objectives, screen chargers, and keep an eye on deep strikes. But putting those two things together feels cheesy, and just letting your Broodlord charge in with his Genestealers would go a way towards handling that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MRLOLAST posted:

Did they change chaplain dreadnoughts or Bjorn before so that you could target them? Haven't paid any attention to wh40k for a long time.

Nope. They're still Characters with 9 or fewer Wounds, and are still protected. So's my March of the Ancients quad lascannon Mortis Dreadnought, for that matter. There's no provision in the new rule to exclude Characters who are also Vehicles.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

Nope. They're still Characters with 9 or fewer Wounds, and are still protected. So's my March of the Ancients quad lascannon Mortis Dreadnought, for that matter. There's no provision in the new rule to exclude Characters who are also Vehicles.

I'm imagining a squad of space wolves spread eagle all over Bjorn like ablative armor.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

SerCypher posted:

I'm imagining a squad of space wolves spread eagle all over Bjorn like ablative armor.

Isn't that how the pre-fix Iron Hands Leviathan worked? The intercessors would dive in front of it to take the damage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know that I needed to go so try hard on this helmet, but I am happy that I did.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Has anyone compiled a complete list of push fit sets offered by Games Workshop?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rhaegar posted:

Has anyone compiled a complete list of push fit sets offered by Games Workshop?

All of the currently available ones are here https://www.games-workshop.com/en-U...592479560000%5D

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Aren't the majority of those already tagged as Easy to Build outside of a couple of the starter boxes?

efb.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

That's not all of them, for example the guard:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Imperial-Guard-Cadians-5-models-2017

Idk why they're not labelled easy build though.

Edit: Also now metal steel legion squads are cheaper than plastic cadian squads. What a world we live in.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Steel-Legion-Squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Bee posted:

They're also implying Morale's gonna be a bigger deal in the new edition. I'm curious what they could do to make it more punishing, because it's already harsh enough on paper that horde factions need to flat-out invent ways of ignoring it.

They always lie and say this edition morale is going to matter, and it mostly never does.