Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

redreader posted:

I just finished A Short Hike and I can't remember how long it took because I played it in two go's: 20 minutes and about 30-40 minutes. I like that it's just Very Nice and everyone in it is Very Friendly and Nice.

This isn't the first surreal emphasis weird recommendation for this game. I'm playing this game with my six year old and if Claire ends the game getting raped by her uncle or finds out her mom died in a carfire, it'd be amazing if someone could private message me so I don't have to deal with that poo poo tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sputnik posted:

This isn't the first surreal emphasis weird recommendation for this game. I'm playing this game with my six year old and if Claire ends the game getting raped by her uncle or finds out her mom died in a carfire, it'd be amazing if someone could private message me so I don't have to deal with that poo poo tia.

No! Holy poo poo no!!!! You loving goon!!!!!!!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
He's talking about Glittermitten Grove. I played until I got to a minigame that wasn't fun, aka the first one, and then stopped playing.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Sputnik posted:

No, there's no twist. The game really is as friendly as it looks on the surface.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there a way to rebind keys on Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass? I use a 60% keyboard w/o arrow keys (I guess I'd want to change movement to WASD?) and its made it prohibitively obnoxious to play.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sputnik posted:

those goons and their uncle rape amirite

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sputnik posted:

really hate the sort of games you apparently play randomly where this is a constant worry for you

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there used to be a thing like a content or trigger warning for stuff like that but like 80 percent of something awful took personal offense at the idea.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

there are a whole bunch of indie games, some in this bundle, where the big twist is everything that seemed normal is actually hosed Up and suddenly a horror game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's a reason when I asked for recommendations I specified no games about being sad

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I know this is SA, and trolling people into drinking urine and similar shenanigans was common place, but to keep the record straight, A Short Hike is indeed as clean and pure as a children's story book and it stays that way throughout the whole experience. There's no twist like in Eversion or Jimmy or whatever. You can safely play it with a child watching.

Gripweed posted:

There's a reason when I asked for recommendations I specified no games about being sad

And it does not make you sad. Thank you, this was a PSA.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I liked the look of that Conversations with Ghosts game because it looked like the reverse of the trope; something that on the surface was dark and horrible but which instead was very wholesome

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Thanks for assuaging my completely insane fears. I'd rather you think I'm an internet wackjob than have to explain to the kid why Uncle Danger needs the police called.

Lt. Danger posted:

there are a whole bunch of indie games, some in this bundle, where the big twist is everything that seemed normal is actually hosed Up and suddenly a horror game

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

vegetables posted:

I liked the look of that Conversations with Ghosts game because it looked like the reverse of the trope; something that on the surface was dark and horrible but which instead was very wholesome

Did you mean Speed Dating for Ghosts? That one looks amusing and seems to have had a competent writing team working on it. I'll have to check it out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

there used to be a thing like a content or trigger warning for stuff like that but like 80 percent of something awful took personal offense at the idea.

Perhaps we need a content warning for content warnings.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Did you mean Speed Dating for Ghosts? That one looks amusing and seems to have had a competent writing team working on it. I'll have to check it out.

Yes, that one! All the names of these games have blurred together in my mind

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Speaking of children, if you have any you'll probably want to show them Metamorphabet and Sandcastles from the creator of Windosill (which is also included in this bundle). One's great as a teaching tool for little kids, the other's an amusing virtual sandbox that anyone at any age will enjoy.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Lt. Danger posted:

I wonder why people are inspired to make games like that. I guess we'll never know.

Sputnik's comment about A Short Hike reminded me of me playing Frog Detective with my 4-year-old nephew, and it's mostly fine, but there's one bit where the characters straight-faced say that books are always 100% inaccurate and you should just trust the internet on everything. Since I was reading it to him while we played I just kind of hmmed past that part. Don't think he would have gotten that joke.

Speed Dating For Ghosts is indeed great. Worth replaying for multiple dates.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

On a minor note, it looks like humble bundle has jumped onto the idea.

Sadly, it has nowhere near enough momentum/support yet, but a significantly higher price tag.

Since its somewhat on topic, any opinions on things within it?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Twobirds posted:

I wonder why people are inspired to make games like that. I guess we'll never know.

A lot of people are inspired by the Mother series where things start off happy and get really hosed up near the end.

I'm also a big fan of games like that, but I can totally understand why others wouldn't enjoy it and don't fault them for it at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

six times more expensive and it calls itself the "humble" bundle.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Super Time Force Ultra is really good is basically all I have to say about the humble one, it's mostly games I already have and then they do that humble thing where you get DLC but not the base game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

On a minor note, it looks like humble bundle has jumped onto the idea.

Sadly, it has nowhere near enough momentum/support yet, but a significantly higher price tag.

Since its somewhat on topic, any opinions on things within it?

Baba is You is excellent, same for Spelunky. Everything else is... not bad but also not anything that won't be (or already was) in a bundle this year probably.

It's very much a "it's for charity" bundle that gives you a couple of good games in exchange, rather than the insane deal that the itch.io bundle was.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

theres a lot of good stuff in that humble bundle but i already have almost everything i would want and instead of it being $5-10 where i would just get it anyway and give out the extras its $30 which is kind of expensive for baba is you and a pc copy of spelunky.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Awesome! posted:

theres a lot of good stuff in that humble bundle but i already have almost everything i would want

I think that's going to be a very common thing from people who pay attention to humble bundles.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gripweed posted:

six times more expensive and it calls itself the "humble" bundle.

To be fair there's a few A-list games in there, which the Itch bundle didn't have. But it's not the same value, for sure.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

$30 for a bunch of games anyone who buys stuff from humble already has is a pretty poor value. Then again most of their bundles have been complete dogshit since they were acquired by Ziff Davis.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
It amuses me to see The Ball on there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jedit posted:

To be fair there's a few A-list games in there, which the Itch bundle didn't have. But it's not the same value, for sure.

So it's fewer games, bigger name games, all for more money. More like Hubris Bundle.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Eh, I grabbed the Humble Bundle for Baba is You and Spelunky and a couple of other things that caught my eye, then just gave away the steam codes I didn't want to friends. It's sort of like bonus charity to be able to give someone the gift of Hyper Light Drifter or Bioshock.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I'm one of the weirdos who really enjoyed Broken Age; but then again, I don't play that many adventure games, and I actively try not to pay attention to creator drama and "stupid decisions that were made in this game before it got in the final form". Ask me about being a fan of Rimworld, too!

$30 for $48 games is a good value if there are games you want or want to sell or trade. It ends up being about $0.63 a game.
Oh, but don't get excited if you see the Attack on Titan Anthology in the books section, that's not the actual manga, that's an anthology of ~original creations~ comics inspired by the real thing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

He's talking about Glittermitten Grove. I played until I got to a minigame that wasn't fun, aka the first one, and then stopped playing.

Yes, my experience was similar. I was fine with the "TXT World" thing because I have fond memories of playing the like on early PCs, and I love the concept of a metagame with different genre minigames inside, but then I got to the flying toaster thing.

I get it. They're mixing "progressive clicker" gameplay with "flappy bird" gameplay. So subversive, what a commentary on modern game design. The problem is that making a lovely game ironically still means that you have made a lovely game.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Space Rangers 2 is the only multi-genre metagame I need

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Nipponophile posted:

Yes, my experience was similar. I was fine with the "TXT World" thing because I have fond memories of playing the like on early PCs, and I love the concept of a metagame with different genre minigames inside, but then I got to the flying toaster thing.

Yeah I gave up on Txt World just because it felt like it overstayed it’s welcome and it’s pretty offensive to look at for long periods of time. I grew up with ps1 so I fuss the nostalgic factor isn’t there. Frog Fractions 1 was cool but the text adventure level was a slog and I looked up a guide so I could skip it. My other friends who played it also used the guide I linked them. It was a slog otherwise.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Gobbeldygook posted:

I was also posting about glittermitten grove. I played it for an hour or two and liked it. The weird door thing was ki d of dumb.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Sagebrush was kinda cool

It really had confidence in the narrative

It wasn't world ending ,but felt impactful.

It's about as good as a walking Sim can be

It was the first time the " reality collapse, abstract representation of event" really worked for me

Tight walking sim

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm dipping back into itch.io..

The Lost Art of Innkeeping - it's tragic that this uses stock RPG Maker assets because I like the nucleus of this game. you basically run an inn, and you furnish the rooms in anticipation of what guests might ask for.. there's a nice loop of, set the rooms up, check the guests in, go around town talking to people and accomplishing a task on your task list, going to bed and then collecting the money. there are tasks required to upgrade your inn across a 5 star spectrum. i'm at 2 stars now and i'll be unlocking a receptionist next

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

The 7th Guest posted:

I'm dipping back into itch.io..

The Lost Art of Innkeeping - it's tragic that this uses stock RPG Maker assets because I like the nucleus of this game. you basically run an inn, and you furnish the rooms in anticipation of what guests might ask for.. there's a nice loop of, set the rooms up, check the guests in, go around town talking to people and accomplishing a task on your task list, going to bed and then collecting the money. there are tasks required to upgrade your inn across a 5 star spectrum. i'm at 2 stars now and i'll be unlocking a receptionist next

Ooh, thanks, this sounds like my jam.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Help, I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to fish in A Short Hike. I was told to tap X and pull back but... pull back how? Mouse control doesn't seem to work. I tried walking around and fell into the water :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Help, I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to fish in A Short Hike. I was told to tap X and pull back but... pull back how? Mouse control doesn't seem to work. I tried walking around and fell into the water :saddowns:

Tap X and then move away from the fish. I used the arrow keys on the keyboard to play, so I used them to "pull back". I also kept tapping X repeatedly, I think that's required.