Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

starting the transatlantic slave trade.

Think the Spanish had a head start on us for that one.

Actually Cromwells actions in Ireland were fairly normal for the time when there was a religious and language barrier - English speaking Arminians got treated a lot better than Gaelic speaking Catholics. You see a similar dynamic in the Thirty Years' War which at
It's worst made Ireland look like a tea party , but I guess noone still cares about Pappenheim.

Edit: 111 is 7 in binary

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

Also worth noting he ossentisbly started the civil war because the king was essentially doing personal rule via ruling by rump parliament against the “law” (the magna carta, lol)

Um no. The King dismissed Parliament altogether and raised money by dubious prerogatives such as Ship Money, there was no 'rump'. Meanwhile Pride's Purge was Fairfax not Cromwell who was not yet Top Dog.

Like um not to be rude but if you think Cromwell personally started the English Civil War you might want to read a book...

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 18, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1273648894556213253?s=19

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
"Tories succeeded in turning out 2m more non-voters - mainly older white men, "leave minded", wanted to "Get Brexit Done" and/or stop Corbyn from being PM"

gammons :argh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oh dear me posted:

Momentum chat: the elections are on and I'd like to solicit advice before I do anything irrevocable. I know next to nothing about any of them, and the 'questions to candidates' didn't reveal anything significant.

I generally believe in slate voting (and the last NEC elections have only strengthened this view). Forward Momentum seem more keen on internal democracy than Momentum Renewal (described as the 'continuity' campaign) so I am tempted to go for them. They are supported by McDonnell, which seems good even though he was less radical as Shadow Chancellor than I hoped.

But I notice that Jennifer Forbes is on their SW slate and I think Spangly had serious reservations about her.

Does anyone have views?

I need to do a democracy on this, what are the relevant slates?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Marenghi posted:

Lands confiscated, sometimes if they were lucky they’d be compensated but with much worse land in Connaught. Others sold to indentured servitude in Barbados. All Catholics barred from politics, barred from practicing religion. Mass rocks are still common around the country, stone alters in secluded areas where Irish practiced their faith in secret because public worship could get them executed.

Other than the indentured servitude bit maybe, this all happened in England, too. Catholic emancipation wasn't until the 19th century in England. You still see priest holes in the occasional manor house, especially Northern, to this day.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I was always told that depictions of Lucifer with dark skin were because his fall from Heaven had involved him crashing down at such speeds he burned, thus 'Morningstar', and that his skin was charred black as a result.

This could be either exactly the kind of weird thing that's true or it could just be a weird excuse to maintain a racist iconography.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

Even putting his crimes in Ireland aside (and we really shouldn't do that), it's weird that Cromwell is lionised here because he was also terrible for Britain. He was a brutal military dictator who was every bit as bad as any king, and even handed power to his son when he died. He was so terrible that they actually brought the monarchy back when he copped it. If he hadn't been so poo poo we'd probably be a republic now.
New Labour liked him, which speaks volumes. Claiming that you're going to do an overseas war in a more organized and modern way, oops it's a bloodbath. His terror against Drogheda even began on September 11th.

What's interesting is how he swung from his name being dogshit in the Restoration, to some kind of resurgence of popularity in the late Victorian, especially among both the working class trade union movement and the emerging middle class, who seemed to regard him as a reformer. That's when all the statues got put up, and they seemed to have popular support unlike the slave man statue.

More modern histories seem to place him as having far less personal control than his name gets credited/cursed for though, both at home and in Ireland.

Still an enormous racist, in a manner consistent with most of the English Royalists who were conspiring to gently caress over Ireland in creative ways.

feedmegin posted:

Think the Spanish had a head start on us for that one.
You're right. I meant for the English Colonies in what is now the USA. The guys who set up plantations in Virginia and the Carolinas were the same poison seed as the Cavaliers, and even swung their aristocratic lineage around as a matter of pride up to their Civil War.

feedmegin posted:

Actually Cromwells actions in Ireland were fairly normal for the time when there was a religious and language barrier - English speaking Arminians got treated a lot better than Gaelic speaking Catholics. You see a similar dynamic in the Thirty Years' War which at
It's worst made Ireland look like a tea party , but I guess noone still cares about Pappenheim.
Yeah :( Have any of those guys got popular reimaginings and statues though? (Genuine question, I don't know much about 30 years war reimagining in European popular thought.)

I've read histories written by Irish Catholic priests that have pretty much said that his actions were consistent for an ordinary Englishman (which definitely doesn't preclude being a massive racist) and that ignoring atrocities by Royalists and pinning it all on the one guy simply gives him too much individual credit as a bastard, compared to say Palmerston or various Kings, who had a lot of agency as bastards. It was an old history though, so I'm not sure how that lines up with the modern take.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 18, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The entire cavalier class should have been executed. Every last one, yea even the little children.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

simply love to come down with a heavy cough 2 weeks after being forced back into the office

truly glad they decided to pack the place as full as possible

having a nice chuckle thinking about how they've been showing visitors around

big fun! great laff!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Simsandwich posted:

Glasgow has seen a big rise in loyalist organising through an org called Scottish Protestants Against Discrimination off the back of a variety of public campaigns to stop Orange Walks in the city. This encompassed orange lodges, football casuals and the far right with a lot of intersection between the three. Its obviously a well developed communications network that was able to to outnumber us on the day.

From what I could see from the front the crowd skews younger than what traditional fash like the Scottish Defence League (who have rebranded themselves as the National Defence League) would be able to assemble at relatively short notice. Numbers were also larger than anything I've seen outside of a proper Walk as well.

Glasgow has a long tradition of antifascist organising but lacks the network that SPAD does. They'll be feeling emboldened by yesterday and i wouldn't hesitate to say that any political action in the city will be a major target for them going forward.

drat, sorry.- I hope you guys can get a similar network going, seems like it's gonna be important in the near future at least

I'm gonna donate something, here's the tweet for if anyone else wants to!

https://twitter.com/no_evictions/status/1273393580028170241

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ms Adequate posted:

I was always told that depictions of Lucifer with dark skin were because his fall from Heaven had involved him crashing down at such speeds he burned, thus 'Morningstar', and that his skin was charred black as a result.

This could be either exactly the kind of weird thing that's true or it could just be a weird excuse to maintain a racist iconography.

I mean if I had to choose one

Lucifer not exactly looking crispy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the whole 'Curse of Ham' is that sin makes your skin dark and that's not exactly something with good historical consequences regardless of the original intent (the original intent was racism :ssh:)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the real Curse Of Ham is when an old white man swears at you about being willing to nuke things

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1273648897911554053

:thunk:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Do you doubt those numbers or those conclusions? 'Corbyn was made unpopular by sustained media attack' and 'Corbyns unpopularity affected the Labour vote' aren't contradictory messages.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

the real Curse Of Ham is when an old white man swears at you about being willing to nuke things
:golfclap:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It was more a combo of "no difference between Labour and the Tories since Blair" like everyone wasn't crying about the extreme marxism BACK TO THE 70s, and "the report :airquote:mentions a correlation between disunity and Corbyn's unpopularity" like that wasn't a deliberate, prolonged, coordinated effort to force him out

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TACD posted:

For those people heavily invested in my partner's lovely boss and the time-travelling holidays: Good news! She sent the sternly-worded email yesterday evening and around lunchtime today got a reply from her boss in a tone I'd describe as business grovelling apologising for the misunderstanding and asking her to instead take eight days of holiday a couple of weeks from now, with uncharacteristically extensive quotes from company policy that implied he'd received a very serious talking-to from HR and/or the general manager for his cavalier loving about.

Partner is absolutely delighted to have got her holiday back but even more happy to have got one over on the lovely gaslighting boss. Cheers for your advice all :)

Yeah! Nice to hear some good news in the thread. :)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's fine that there's now an official report into it but it was pretty obvious at the time that moving away from 'Labour won't gently caress up Brexit' absolutely derailed the parties overall messaging. I was saying in the middle of last year that Labour will lose a Brexit focused election and that's what happened. Not to say it was in the bag if they'd stuck with it but it was clear that more Leave voters were solely motivated by wanting to Leave than Remain voters solely wanted to remain - a "we're leaving the EU but investing and developing all parts of the UK with this list of policies" would have pacified way more of those voters that went Tory, even if they didn't vote Labour but just didn't vote, than "we might stay in the EU but that's okay because we promise this list of policies".

Here we are though, and I'm of the opinion that Corbynite Labour in a weak position of power now would actually be worse so I'm not particularly upset all things considered. It's a very "A young boy gets a horse and the villagers say how lucky he is but the Zen master says 'We'll see.'...." sort of situation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A young boy gets a horse and the villagers say how lucky he is but the Forensic master says 'We'll continue to hold the horse to account.'

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

baka kaba posted:

It was more a combo of "no difference between Labour and the Tories since Blair" like everyone wasn't crying about the extreme marxism BACK TO THE 70s, and "the report :airquote:mentions a correlation between disunity and Corbyn's unpopularity" like that wasn't a deliberate, prolonged, coordinated effort to force him out

I kind of checked out of campaigning for the last election as I was just sick of it all, but the few conversations I had, I still heard "they're all the same" a few times, even with all the crazy marxist chat. I tried to point out that there hadn't been two potential governments more different in living memory and was just pissing into the wind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

A young boy gets a horse and the villagers say how lucky he is but the Forensic master says 'We'll continue to hold the horse to account.'

Also the horse fucks the kid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A Polish man forced him to.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah :( Have any of those guys got popular reimaginings and statues though? (Genuine question, I don't know much about 30 years war reimagining in European popular thought.)

Pretty sure Munich has a Tilly statue. I'd be very surprised if Sweden didn't have some relevant statues as well. I don't think anybody who is not a huge history nerd cares about that period. Tells you how good statues really are at fostering historical interest.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

I kind of checked out of campaigning for the last election as I was just sick of it all, but the few conversations I had, I still heard "they're all the same" a few times, even with all the crazy marxist chat. I tried to point out that there hadn't been two potential governments more different in living memory and was just pissing into the wind.

Oh sure, but that's a thing that people tend to say knowingly anyway. And it does say "long term trends"

my comment was more about the "mentioning" the internal struggle to sink corbyn and the party through any means possible "correlated" with Corbyn's unpopularity though. Really looking forward to this investigation into internal sabotage let me tell you!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1273572986415714304

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1273686048170745856?s=19

Full report is in the thread as well if anyone fancies a big read

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Sadly it doesn't involve giving everyone £1500

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

where do they pump it to? I'm imagining some guy in a suit opening up a valve on a big pipe and banknotes just spraying out the end

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao 111 told us to do a home covid test, which can only be sent and returned via a courier service. Did the test (which is loving unpleasant) and the courier hasn't turned up to pick it up. Apparently if it's not sent today it won't be viable. Useful.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Well that's going to fill up the national credit card

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

where do they pump it to? I'm imagining some guy in a suit opening up a valve on a big pipe and banknotes just spraying out the end
Usually into commercial banks or into government departments.

In this case probably the Cayman Islands though, because tories.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1273686048170745856?s=19

Full report is in the thread as well if anyone fancies a big read

That actually looks like a surprisingly measured report with some interesting conclusions in the summary.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

stev posted:

Lmao 111 told us to do a home covid test, which can only be sent and returned via a courier service. Did the test (which is loving unpleasant) and the courier hasn't turned up to pick it up. Apparently if it's not sent today it won't be viable. Useful.

But they'll still count it as a test in the government figures :cool:

zhar
May 3, 2019

kecske posted:

Afaik for this kind of thing it's usually used to buy government bonds

Given the people who generally hold government bonds the effect is asset prices across the board rise

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

anyone got a link to the report as a PDF? don't fancy reading a thousand screenshots via twitter

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Cerv posted:

anyone got a link to the report as a PDF? don't fancy reading a thousand screenshots via twitter

https://www.scribd.com/document/466134414/Final-Labour-Together-Report

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

kecske posted:

haha money printer go brrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

cheers