Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
If I pressurise the main room, open all the doors and attempt to depressurise, the doors close automatically and I'm back where I started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Try compromising the internal doors with your cutter before depressurization. I知 curious if it値l act like a violent one or just calmly suck the air out of the extra chamber(s).

I壇 try it myself but I知 stuck at my other job working for a horrible soulless corporation.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Bought this yesterday cause it looked cool and ended up playing until 1 AM before I noticed what time it was. I love it. The gameplay is so nice, a 3d puzzle with room to improvise and incentive to improve. The world and art is cool and darkly humorous. Finished my first gecko and it was amazing. Parted down that thing meticulously. "Every part of the buffalo." The Certs could use a balance pass. I'm on 5 or 6 right now and just doing one gecko I've completed the nanocarbon and Aluminium requirements but I'm going to have to do like 2 or 3 more geckos for the money requirements and probably spam a few more Mackrels to fill out the work orders on top of it. This game has got so much going for it and I hope they are able to actually add to it in a reasonable time frame.

I do have a few problems:
-If you are tearing an object out you can't use your breaks. This annoys me to no end cause I often find myself hurling face first into the object I'm grabbing, frantically jabbing Ctrl to stop, but unable to.
-The geckos feel like they are placed really far back. It was really annoying when tearing off the engine caps to pull out the thrusters and then try to bring them around the ship to fire into the processor.
-The controls make some weird decisions and discrepancies. Like in the hub E is used to confirm stuff, but outside F is used to interact and loving BLAST EVERYTHING AWAY. I've lost more than one pickup from not being quite accurate enough and either blasting it through a wall into space or around a cabin.
-The reeling mechanic is going to be the way I die my first time. I know this. The smallest right click will gently caress you up. I think it would feel more natural if I could use my mouse wheel to be more precise with it. I discovered myself using it to pull myself near the end of my play session like someone here pointed out and I can't wait to try to put that to use.
-The barge gets cluttered, and stuff has a chance of bouncing out if it hits a larger object. Sometimes it doesn't that just teleports to the side, but I've failed some work orders cause the last mechanical part I needed hit something, destroyed itself and bounced off into space.
-Tethers overlapping and expiring is aggravating sometimes. And I can't do that cool thing from the opening cinematic of making a train of plates cause they either occlude and die or the first piece goes in and the tether dies to the rest which just float in place.

I hope tethers have an upgrade to become more powerful, cause trying to rip the nanocarbon parts off the geckos take forever cause they are just so big. The rear pieces especially. They ended up going into the furnace cause I wasn't looking. I also had to cut the aluminium body into three parts cause no amount of tethers could deal with the whole thing. I'm looking forward to picking another one apart when I get home.

At first I was surprised by the timer being so low, and felt kinda bad it was 500k a shift. But then I realized "Hey, 'm already a capital-B Billion in debt, that extra 500k for spending 15 minutes trying to figure out how to safely extract the reactor and explore don't mean poo poo." Same applies to buying oxygen and tethers. They might as well be free for how little they cost. The real cost is the time it takes to get to the terminal and back. Then I spent 3 or 4 shifts taking apart my first gecko to get all those tasty work order lynx points. And I had a blast doing so. So the answer to obviously to have a "choose you own difficulty" with settings to turn the timer, tool degradation, air, health, and whatever else all independently.

It's a good game. And like others have said: I'd love to take apart some homeworld ships.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

YOUR YARD BERTH TIME IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE
PLEASE ADD MORE TIME AT THE LYNX TERMINAL

ADD MORE TIME? ($###k/5 minutes)

:yeshaha:

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Maybe mix it up where some levels don't have a time limit, but you have to get every single chair or light or whatever.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Try compromising the internal doors with your cutter before depressurization. I知 curious if it値l act like a violent one or just calmly suck the air out of the extra chamber(s).

I壇 try it myself but I知 stuck at my other job working for a horrible soulless corporation.

Nah the atmosphere regulator just stopped doing anything after I broke the doors. Breaking the door consoles doesn't prevent the doors automatically operating, either. If there's a solution I can't figure it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Best solution for the shift timer issue imo is to let players choose their timer when they pick their ship for the day, from 15 minutes to totally free and a few options in between. The shorter the time you pick, the higher multiplier you get for your credits at the end of the day. Free play will be tuned to let you just break even on yoir daily rent. That way, if you're exploring a new ship class or just want to have a chill time while still technically making progress, you can do that. As you get more comfortable with each ship and get faster, you get rewarded for that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

edit hey, whole other page of replies i missed, how ya doin

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm really good at hitting myself in the face with engines

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm really good at hitting myself in the face with engines

I'm good at tethering poo poo to the furnace while I'm in the middle of both and then almost getting creamed.

Also I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do it but I always just slam myself into walls to get them to break off after I detach them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Back Hack posted:

Nice tip for depressurizing a room, you can use your hands to anchor yourself to wall, prevents you from getting pushed around.

I was wondering about that, how do you do that? I didn't see it in the controls or in the tutorial.

The tutorial probably needs another pass to include things like being able to pull stuff to you with the grappler.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Dreylad posted:

I was wondering about that, how do you do that? I didn't see it in the controls or in the tutorial.

The tutorial probably needs another pass to include things like being able to pull stuff to you with the grappler.

Z for left hand, X for right hand.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can also use your hands to sound pipes to tell if they're still loaded. It's also useful to keeping loose junk close without reeling it directly into your helmet.

Flammable bag of chips in the way but grappling too violent to move it? Grab it and discus throw it away from your work area.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

One thing that bugs me: you can cut a whole ship section loose but it'll still be firmly locked in place by a drat chair or TV screen

Poltroon
Dec 15, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

Nah the atmosphere regulator just stopped doing anything after I broke the doors. Breaking the door consoles doesn't prevent the doors automatically operating, either. If there's a solution I can't figure it

The easiest way to depressurize the interior spaces is to depressurize the main compartment, and just open the doors to adjoining pressurized compartments once that's complete. Any loose objects will whoosh out while the compartments equalize, but you don't get any explosive decompression events like you would with the cutter.

My main problem now is trying to figure out how to safely remove engines and disconnect fuel lines without fires/explosions. I know you can use the control panel to vent fuel if you have a physical key, but how do you do it safely without the key? Whenever I use the release valves on the engines themselves, it often results in a fuel leak that cascades into a bunch of explosions and a reactor meltdown.

I had some luck turning all three release valves in sequence on the larger ship, which seems to completely empty out the fuel pipes. On a ship with a single engine, the fuel line ruptured and never emptied, leading to a reactor explosion. Can I slice into the line somewhere away from the reactor, or maybe freeze them to dump the excess fuel?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The best way to depressurize is to stand clear of the cargo hatch, and torch the hold-downs off.

:colbert:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Poltroon posted:

The easiest way to depressurize the interior spaces is to depressurize the main compartment, and just open the doors to adjoining pressurized compartments once that's complete. Any loose objects will whoosh out while the compartments equalize, but you don't get any explosive decompression events like you would with the cutter.

My main problem now is trying to figure out how to safely remove engines and disconnect fuel lines without fires/explosions. I know you can use the control panel to vent fuel if you have a physical key, but how do you do it safely without the key? Whenever I use the release valves on the engines themselves, it often results in a fuel leak that cascades into a bunch of explosions and a reactor meltdown.

I had some luck turning all three release valves in sequence on the larger ship, which seems to completely empty out the fuel pipes. On a ship with a single engine, the fuel line ruptured and never emptied, leading to a reactor explosion. Can I slice into the line somewhere away from the reactor, or maybe freeze them to dump the excess fuel?

The cockpit and engine/thruster compartments of the mackarels will elegantly separate from the shaft of the ship. You can either twist them off slightly with tethers or you can pull them toward the berth and home jack. Once you have access to the crawlspaces down the main shaft you'll see fuel pipes that connect to the nacelles and a fuel tank located just behind the nacelles toward the thruster/reactor compartment. Each fuel tank has a manual purge valve just above it that will clear the pipes of fuel. After that you can safely remove the fuel tanks and then cut the pipe off the nacelles and take the entire pipe assembly off.

The reactor/thruster connection requires you to use a utility key to release the thruster without fires. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to remove the pipe from the reactor without causing flames to shoot out so you'll have to quickly move the pipe before it damages it into full meltdown mode.

On geckos the utility key will be really important to purging the fuel lines. If you can't you'll need to make an egress to get rid of all the fuel tanks that surround the thrusters and then pull the manual valves. The flames will shoot out to the sides but they can't burn through the reactor walls or anything else. It's the fuel tanks causing explosions.

The coolant tubes can be purged if you go to the ECU room, pull open the front panel marked by an X and then remove the small coolant bottles from the ECU until you no longer see any coolant cloud inside. If you still see a cloud but no bottle carefully mouse your tether around until it confirms a lock on to the hidden bottle. Sometimes the mist hides the extra one. As soon as all the bottles are pulled, the coolant tubes should be empty at that point. You can slice the tube from outside the inner hull and then chop up the pipes for stowage once you've removed the reactor.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Why can't games be part of other games? This game seems pretty good on it's own, but it would be so amazing if one day we could stitch together a bunch of games and stuff like Hardspace would be just fine component of a larger game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mod to load designs from KSP into this game IMO

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't figure out how to take the cockpit glass out of a Mackerel. I end up just burning it away so I can grab stuff out of the gap and throw it into the barge.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

After mostly stripping a gecko, I explosively decompressed the cockpit, which pushed the main cabin structure directly in to a furnace. My computer did not like that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do absolutely jump into free mode and detonate a reactor core, the effect is incredible

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Hwurmp posted:

One thing that bugs me: you can cut a whole ship section loose but it'll still be firmly locked in place by a drat chair or TV screen
Yeah, even on the mackerels i've been caught out by a fuel pipe keeping on the engine section or a friggin' storage box keeping a few tons of cockpit attached.

Qubee posted:

I can't figure out how to take the cockpit glass out of a Mackerel. I end up just burning it away so I can grab stuff out of the gap and throw it into the barge.
Once it's depressurised i just cut along the edges with the split laser, it gets basically all of it. Not sure it's really worth the money considering the time but eh

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
lol I just saw the tip telling you that you get tokens for collecting data drives because LYNX sells the data to marketing firms.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Why can't games be part of other games? This game seems pretty good on it's own, but it would be so amazing if one day we could stitch together a bunch of games and stuff like Hardspace would be just fine component of a larger game.
I'm sure this entire game is on the Star Citizen roadmap. This also answers your question.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I never bother saw cutting panels off to throw into the furnace. Am I missing out on $$$ or do they sell for pennies? It never seems worth the hassle, it's quicker to laser through support struts and tether entire outer segments into the processor.

Hawke
May 1, 2008
I just stopped by to say this is my dream game, the most relaxing fun I've had in years and I don't think I'll ever be able to stop playing it even if my framerate absolutely tanks when I'm inside a ship. Okay well back to space.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Qubee posted:

I never bother saw cutting panels off to throw into the furnace. Am I missing out on $$$ or do they sell for pennies? It never seems worth the hassle, it's quicker to laser through support struts and tether entire outer segments into the processor.

I don't bother with the Mackerel but the Gecko is double hulled and you have to cut the interior panels to get stuff out of the cabin in a reasonable amount of time. Cutting panels solely for cash is probably not worth it though unless you've stripped everything else (but might be worth it for completing certs and work orders so you can upgrade your gear).

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 18, 2020

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Qubee posted:

It's weirdly finicky. You have to cut three times to get each plane of the glass severed from the lateral pieces and it can be hard to tell where it's still connected. Melting the whole thing is absolutely the correct decision.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yeah that drives me nuts.

Aluminium inner body panels rest on a 3D mesh-grid of aluminium frames. You can cut the frame, or the body panel but not both even though the laser passes over it. It seems the twin-saw picks which entity you want to cut and ignores the other one so you have to make 3 cuts per panel side... one for the panel and 2 for the frames... If you're into precision you may also need to make a 3rd cut to the side frame too.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've noticed filled in / hollow squares when I mouse over certain objects, and I don't know what they signify. My best guess is they tell me how many anchor points the part I'm aiming at has? So it's an at-a-glance piece of information that lets me know how many things I need to cut away before the piece comes loose?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I would just like to say that it's incredibly satisfying freeing all the side panels of the first ship from the supports inside and tethering them to the deposit and watching them yank off the frame one by one.

Edit: VV I had no idea about this and unless I totally missed it doesn't appear to be in the keybind menu either so thank you for this!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 18, 2020

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Broose posted:

-If you are tearing an object out you can't use your breaks. This annoys me to no end cause I often find myself hurling face first into the object I'm grabbing, frantically jabbing Ctrl to stop, but unable to.

One-time FREE reminder for LYNX premium subscribers: Don't forget you can magnetically grab onto things with z and x. You can use it to safely grapple and push large objects without launching yourself into space. Don't try to push a heavy object at a right angle, because blood stains are expensive to get out of nanocarbon plating.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How do I remove the ECU from a Gecko without spraying coolant gel everywhere? Can't seem to use the key with the ECU the way I do with the fuel.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Fat Samurai posted:

How do I remove the ECU from a Gecko without spraying coolant gel everywhere? Can't seem to use the key with the ECU the way I do with the fuel.

Pull off the panel and take the coolant tanks out, there's usually 3 of them(one likes to hide in the freezy mist)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oooohhhh sneaky. Thanks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have they said anything about mod support down the line? I壇 love to see people throw mechs or something wild like that into the mix.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Qubee posted:

I've noticed filled in / hollow squares when I mouse over certain objects, and I don't know what they signify. My best guess is they tell me how many anchor points the part I'm aiming at has? So it's an at-a-glance piece of information that lets me know how many things I need to cut away before the piece comes loose?
Probably health/durability. If it gets depleted (by you bumping it into things or hitting it), it explodes or turns into scrap.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Found a bug, I think: If you do freeplay and then go back to career, your weapons take durability damage even if they are invincible during freeplay.

If you're gonna do freeplay to explore ships / try poo poo out / blow things up, do it on a separate career so your tools aren't trashed.

Edit: I just double-checked, this is exactly how it works. Do freeplay on another career so you don't grief yourself.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Heffer posted:

After mostly stripping a gecko, I explosively decompressed the cockpit, which pushed the main cabin structure directly in to a furnace. My computer did not like that.

the game just barely runs on my computer, and earlier I accidentally popped a core because I wasn't paying attention. my computer went into single digit frame rate lol