Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
no one pointed out that they died to fire on a game where you are underwater 99% of the time

(unless it was one of those volcanoes, then its fine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Sinteres posted:

Cyberpunk got delayed again, to November 19th, so there's another reason I'm waiting impatiently for that month to roll around.

I guess this means I can push back the GPU upgrade I was planning on. I just wish they would release some recommended specs. Surely they know what those are by now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Wow they even put Outer Wilds up at a good discount. Buy this game everyone!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This bundle seems decent: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-r-p-g-bundle

I was gonna get Unexplored, Hard West and Age of Decadence. Is anything else on that list worth checking out? I already own Rebel Galaxy but never got around to it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This bundle seems decent: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-r-p-g-bundle

I was gonna get Unexplored, Hard West and Age of Decadence. Is anything else on that list worth checking out? I already own Rebel Galaxy but never got around to it

Rebel Galaxy is a lot of fun if you liked rear end Creed 4’s ship combat, I really recommend it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
ULTRAKILL is good. Try it.
MANKIND IS DEAD
BLOOD IS FUEL
HELL IS FULL

I'm interested in Haven. It's Game Bakers's (Makers of Furi) next project. Vastly different game, it looks like you play as a couple madly in love, but on the run. Crash landed and stranded in a strange world, you have to figure out how to survive and figure out a way to your ship online.

Looks little bit like a linear visual novel with some turn based combat.

Also the Music is by Danger. Which is loving great stuff.

While we're at it. If you haven't already. Play Furi.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 18, 2020

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

MANKIND IS DEAD
BLOOD IS FUEL
HELL IS FULL

Baba Is You really took a weird turn.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mordja posted:

Oh, that's got a demo? Cool. I'd seen them advertise it as FFT meets Dynasty Warriors, are you really fighting hughe swarms of undead?

Yeah although they seem to get tougher and more distinct as you progress.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Samuringa posted:

no one pointed out that they died to fire on a game where you are underwater 99% of the time

It was actually inside the Aurora.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Exo One is about being a flying ball on an alien planet. And...er...something about a Jupiter mission gone wrong? And a Stargate? And er...sad music.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Communist Bear posted:

Exo One is about being a flying ball on an alien planet. And...er...something about a Jupiter mission gone wrong? And a Stargate? And er...sad music.

It's pretty, but I feel like I got more direction and saw more interesting scenery in Mirrormoon EP and that's not a comparison you want to be on the wrong end of. Still; early days, and maybe it just doesn't demo well.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I feel like these kind of exploration games should be pretty easy to demo because they are all your hopefully fun movement mechanic and aesthetic there is nothing you really have to hold back aside from story content so if you can't keep somebody interested for a half hour demo you're in real trouble

Edit:Oh it didn't actually let me do anything but the tutorial and then cut to a teaser video, I guess that is one way to screw this up.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 18, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

MMF Freeway posted:

Wow they even put Outer Wilds up at a good discount. Buy this game everyone!

drat, that is a good discount.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

WEST OF DEAD is a fun little twin-stick roguelike with a really cool cel shaded art style. Reminds me a lot of Mike Mignola's art.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

queeb posted:

Outer wilds is amazing and everyone should play it.

alright alright, fine i'll do it!

I often roll my eyes when people talk about being too scared in games but Subnautica was the one game I really wanted to play more of but just felt way too anxious to be in the water, I didn't even play that far or see anything that scary but it certainly made me feel uncomfortable in a way i didn't like

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 18, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samuringa posted:

I used to think that DIAF meant "drown in a fire." Incompetent AND dead. I still prefer that acronym.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I feel like a lot of these demo's are going to end up hurting the games, because they are clearly little con demos that would probably be fine for a 15 minute guided experience but throwing them online and letting people replay and dissect them when a lot of them are very buggy or underdeveloped is just going to turn people off the game.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 18, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:siren:TITANFALL 2 IS ON STEAM GET IT IF YOU HAVEN'T:siren:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mordja posted:

If you already got an Origin download code, can you push it over onto Steam via some transfer service? I'd love to install Origin, redeem it, pull over my Origin games, and then uninstall it forever.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if it's like every other origin game that's been getting dumped over to steam, it literally installs and launches origin as part and parcel of installing the game on steam

Arleneth
Apr 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Been eagerly awaiting for this to drop on Steam.

I wonder if/when The Saboteur and Syndicate will drop?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mordja posted:

Is this the first time its been on Steam? I played a bunch on ps4 but man I could go some Titanfall 2 rn

edit: oh of course the EA thing, excuse me I got a rush of blood to my head thinking of titans

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 18, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hub Cat posted:

I feel like a lot of these demo's are going to end up hurting the games, because they are clearly little con demos that would probably be fine for a 15 minute guided experience but throwing them online and letting people replay and dissect them when a lot of them are very buggy or underdeveloped is just going to turn people off the game.
i've read wishlisting has gone wayyy up for devs

also for 90% of the games on offer, this is their only real shot at visibility, so there's really no way to lose

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mordja posted:

Single player story/experience is absolutely AAA+ gaming, with the only knock being that it needs to be twice as long.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The 7th Guest posted:

i've read wishlisting has gone wayyy up for devs

also for 90% of the games on offer, this is their only real shot at visibility, so there's really no way to lose
Yeah that makes sense, I made the visibility argument last demo roundup. It seems plausible the handful of people turned off forever by a bad demo is more than made up for by a bunch of people who now actually know your game exists.

There's probably a saturation point somewhere and Steam is absolutely going to burn that bridge when they get there but until then some small time devs get lifted up.:shrug:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 18, 2020

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The KeyWe demo is delightful. It's got a feeling very similar feeling to Overcooked where you're trying to work together to overcome some ridiculous working conditions. I had some good fun with my friend, and I'm looking forward to when it comes out next year.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

On a scale of zero to Journey, how much am I going to like Outer Wilds?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Maybe a hot take but I liked Outer Wilds more than Journey.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Well then, guess I am getting Outer Wilds and Titanfall 2 today. What a nice surprise on both.

I'd like to wrap up the Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC before starting either, but holy hell are they long! I beat Legacy of the First Blade and am still on the first act of Fate of Atlantis.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I started off really really liking Outer Wilds. Then a planet crumbled under my feet and I fell into a black hole, I quite literally screamed and jumped back knocking over my chair (and scaring my cats - bonus, tbh :v:), and I haven't played since either

Weird loving thing to have a phobia about, black holes, but there it is :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hub Cat posted:

Maybe a hot take but I liked Outer Wilds more than Journey.

Not that hot imo

Ciaphas posted:

I started off really really liking Outer Wilds. Then a planet crumbled under my feet and I fell into a black hole, I quite literally screamed and jumped back knocking over my chair (and scaring my cats - bonus, tbh :v:), and I haven't played since either

Weird loving thing to have a phobia about, black holes, but there it is :(

OW is unexpectedly the best horror game I played last year

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

if it's like every other origin game that's been getting dumped over to steam, it literally installs and launches origin as part and parcel of installing the game on steam

so if we already have (say) TF2 on Origin can we get a key for steam instead, or would I have to use a steam custom game launcher (or even buy it again lol), or what?

(ed)

MMF Freeway posted:

Funny thing you remind me it was "last year"; I was in a pretty different psychological/mental state last time I tried it so maybe it's worth another shot now. Why not!

So same for TF2, how does this Origin->Steam transition work? In the way most potentially expensive to the customer, I'm sure

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 18, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

q!=e

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You're rebuying anything you have on Origin on Steam, it seems like. No plans have been announced to double up on those and when people have played around with seeing what happens if you rebuy it and link the original Origin account, it causes weird friction (so maybe don't do so)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I bought it on day one, played until an extremely unsettling jump scare (which i am told is the only one in the game) and immediately alt+f4'd and never picked it up again.

Yeah, I am a giant wuss and this nearly put me off the game when I played it last year, but I was able to work through it by just going and looking up a video to see what's what and that way it stopped worrying me, and even so that area was really really tense but in a good way.

GOTY 2019 and now it gets to be GOTY 2020 as well!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They share the same servers though, right? So if I play the Origin version I can match with Steam volks?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

here was haldolium's testing of the situation:

haldolium posted:

lol apparently Origin just gets confused by adding titles via Steam you already own on Origin, at least for the first time.

owned via Origin and Steam, launched through Steam after installation. Quitting and launching Origin again still says "Steam" (not shown double as I expected) but I can launch it via Origin directly then.

/okay getting an Origin owned game through Steam OVERRIDES the Origin purchase. So you cannot install it soley via Origin anymore. It will be assimilated.

haldolium posted:

progress is still there for the tested game. Origin stats (achievements, apparently points?) are saved as well within Origin.

assumedly since it's running the game through origin it is using origin's multiplayer servers for all multiplayer components, and therefore the community will be the origin servers community. there won't be a steam/origin servers split because there are only origin servers.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

MMF Freeway posted:

Yikes, it's a horror game? I do not do horror games.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yikes, it's a horror game? I do not do horror games.

No there's a couple of tense sections but most of it is just chill exploration.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster posted:

assumedly since it's running the game through origin it is using origin's multiplayer servers for all multiplayer components, and therefore the community will be the origin servers community. there won't be a steam/origin servers split because there are only origin servers.

Of note, Command & Conquer Remastered doesn't launch Origin at all, though I assume it does something on the backend. I also assume it uses Origin's server infrastructure too.