Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
El is literally the only one who can do anything about this situation that isn't just delaying the inevitable.

We're His tool to protect His chosen people, we do works in His name with unfailing regularity and disregard of risk to ourselves, we are clearly useful in the extreme and we demand He expand that umbrella of humanity to our son.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Cornuto posted:

L. Rush to Ruth's side, tell her you love her. And weep.
+
Call out to the open air asking the Trio and Marnal to gentle her passing.

I like this idea.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Knowing someone is going to die does NOT make their death any easier

Can confirm from personal experience. I lost my mother to cancer on the last day of school when I was 16. She'd been bedridden with hospice care for weeks, so we all knew it was coming, but in particular I knew it was coming that day. I remember begging my father not to make me answer the phone that day when I got home. I still don't remember anything of the following summer more than two decades later.

A. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 18, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
A

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Infinity Gaia posted:

Knowing someone is going to die does NOT make their death any easier, ESPECIALLY given what Enkidel suspects about Ruth's afterlife prospects. I just don't want to do the typical "Enkidel is weirdly stoic about everything" reaction at our SON DYING IN OUR ARMS.

I’m not saying we should be stoic. But the time for action has passed.

We had opportunities to prolong Ruth’s life, and we never pursued them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
A - We have nothing in this era that will fix a heart attack. Only EL.

Diog, do we have any analgesics? Opium?

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 18, 2020

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
H. I think getting weirdly metaphysical may be the only chance we have to save him.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There are literal magic words that shatter the ground, light things on fire, make you impervious to harm, and people are saying there's absolutely nothing that can be done? What?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

There Bias Two posted:

L

Yell for Naomi and anyone within hearing distance

It is not our place to meddle in the natural course of things too much.

Yeah, cry, yell for Naomi, and rush over sounds about right.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Car Hater posted:

El is literally the only one who can do anything about this situation that isn't just delaying the inevitable.

We're His tool to protect His chosen people, we do works in His name with unfailing regularity and disregard of risk to ourselves, we are clearly useful in the extreme and we demand He expand that umbrella of humanity to our son.

Changing back from H to A, but promise a favor or a service or ask for permission to heal him ourself or just do anything!

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Zurai posted:

There are literal magic words that shatter the ground, light things on fire, make you impervious to harm, and people are saying there's absolutely nothing that can be done? What?

Any of those actions will likely result in Enkidel no longer living among the people of Zepath.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Any of those actions will likely result in Enkidel no longer living among the people of Zepath.

Also, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, none of them will likely work.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

I

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
L.

:(

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Doing them ourselves, sure. But can we at least ASK either our very real, very strong god or our very real not quite as strong divine handlers to help? Even if it'll almost certainly fail, our son is dying right in front of us. Don't you people want to be human? The human thing is to bargain and plead and hope and cry and yell until the very last possible moment when confronted with the death of a loved one.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
L

Humans can come to terms with death. It doesn't make it suck any less, but it's not something to lose your head over.

All men die. This is inescapable truth.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Smh forgot one thing that might help.

Changing to Z - Write in. Get Indor/Puabi

Maybe they know how to use opium and willow bark.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

L.

Ruth is cool or whatever but trying to call in favors from on high to save an 80 year old man is a total waste.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 18, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Can you L voters AT LEAST also call over Naomi, for fucks sakes?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Wallet posted:

L.

Ruth is cool or whatever but if we're going to try and call in favors or something from on high doing it to save an 80 year old woman is a total waste.

Yeah, exactly.
Quality of life is to be valued, and there may simply not be a lot left if he's got a bad heart, slowed down, and is too old to do the things he loves.

EDIT: Fixin' pronouns.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 18, 2020

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not saying Enkidel should use any of the Words of Power that he knows, mostly because those Words don't apply in this situation. I'm saying that magic and prayer are very real forces that actually work in Ur. We are, by all appearances, strongly favored by El or whoever intercepts our prayers to El. Praying for Ruth to not die a painful, terrifying death as he dies in our arms is something that actually has a realistic chance at working.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
L. Call Naomi and our other sons to be with Ruth while he dies. Ruth has earned El's favor. Ruth has a strong presence. I fully trust Ruth will be drawn to Mt. Har, but will not interfere.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
L voters, Ruth is going to die, absolutely, absent some divine fuckery. He has lived a full life, and now his time is come, and despite the poor circumstances of his birth deserves the afterlife of our people. Now either El does something about it for us or we carry Ruth up the mountain ourselves and leave the prologue/start the actual game/be a huge PITA to the PTB. Anything less is unbecoming of a man who knows his son will die for real, in a way that a man of Ur should not.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh no yeah if Ruth dies and we get a Bagar reaction I'm gonna vote for Enkidel to just stand up and start walking towards Baitel without even saying anything to anyone. Gonna get answers or die trying even if we have to climb the mountain and yell at the big blue orb itself.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
After real life stuff happened, changing my vote to A.

C'mon Big Guy, you know we got your back. Do us a favour? We will do literally anything you ask.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
A

We have to try to stop this somehow.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

We plan to update again later tonight, if we have enough votes. We need a volunteer to do a proper count. Any takers? If so, please speak up, thank you

Edit: We have someone.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Changing my vote from C to A, might as well yell at the one entity that might actually do something I suppose.

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
A

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

"Hey, Jael. You better come over here real quick. I need a favor.

Listen, you know that we're gonna meet one way or another here in the near future, you get to pick how angry I am when it happens."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Going for the Enkidu speed run are we?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Olothreutes posted:

L - And get Naomi/Snarls in here, asap. Asahel too if he can be summoned via shouting or something. Or send a servant. Whatever it takes.

+1

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Z the IVth posted:

A - We have nothing in this era that will fix a heart attack. Only EL.

Diog, do we have any analgesics? Opium?

Interesting note about opium is for thousands of years people ate the latex to get hosed up from it, super gross.

The discovery that you could vape it and get high without puking only happened in the 1600s, & "pipe dream" is a reference to getting tranqed with the specialized pipe that vapes instead of burning it like a regular pipe.

Opiates are not something to gently caress with imo.

ABC Marnal

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Cornuto posted:

L. Rush to Ruth's side, tell her you love her. And weep.
+
Call out to the open air asking the Trio and Marnal to gentle her passing.

It sucks, but this is part of living as a man. Any attempts to try and interfere with it ourselves is not going to end well

Rahul fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 18, 2020

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ALF - I see no reason we can't do all 3 in a panic. Rush to them, tell them we love them and we're going to get them to Jobe for help, and be all "El, El, El...!" as we carry them.

A Ceiling Fan
Aug 18, 2018
H

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

the_steve posted:

ALF - I see no reason we can't do all 3 in a panic. Rush to them, tell them we love them and we're going to get them to Jobe for help, and be all "El, El, El...!" as we carry them.

Changing my answer from pure A to this, if it's allowed.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
thesteve's ALF, also eat a cat.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

L

Changing my vote to this :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. El, PRESERVE!