Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol remember the CIG HAS DEVELOPED RENDER TO TEXTURE AND RUTTO (our co-founder and lawyer) IS THE FIRST NPC TO SET THE AMAZING STAGE OF THIS NEVER BEFORE SEEN TECH

and then it turns out he was there and was just invisible because the npc cast a loving shadow and they just blew up his head on the display and made it blue lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/RTNZYC4.gifv

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It is pretty amazing that CIG figured out how to Render to Texture. For decades every game we've played has just been a black screen, until now.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Come on EA

:reddit:: Star Citizen being a severely troubled project is no secret. All you have to do is compare the CIG official communication to realized results. Not even mentioning the deeper analysis done by more prominent gaming journalists. Or ex-sc streamers/shills for that matter.

:argh:: The only people who believe that "Star Citizen is a severely troubled project" is you and your hate club. The only "gaming journalists" that agree with you are those that haven't bothered to do their research at all and those that do the research have reported that the game is being made and nothing is out of the norm. Of course, you want to ignore those facts to push your agenda.

What was it you were saying to the mirror? "Do you often feel harrassed by facts?" Yes...I believe that was it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Beet Wagon posted:

I forgot what you even have to do to unlock him lol, maybe I'll go back one of these days and try it.

Pretty sure it's just bounty hunt missions around Delamar. Eventually you'll get one of those "we should talk" missions from Miles.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

This is what miles three jackets looks like for me as of today

Dunno what my settings are, the game crashed before I could check. But probably somewhere between medium and high I guess idk. He looks fine - less of the horrible plasticy-ness that you see on most Star Citizen npcs and pcs - but not like... great. I don't play a lot of games with a big focus on facial fidelity but he's probably on par with like minor npcs in something like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, except maybe a little more smoothly animated in his movement (because of course everything he does is mocapped)?

This dude took more than a year of work to create, he should look good.

Now that we have a grand total of 3 different quest-givers (and the latest has been delayed for months) the pipelines will finally be able to deliver them faster than ever.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

trucutru posted:

Now that we have a grand total of 3 different quest-givers (and the latest has been delayed for months) the pipelines will finally be able to deliver them faster than ever.

I'm all a titter about the "bartender." I can only imagine seeing him for the first time will be like witnessing a real angel. Maybe our eyes will melt because of the bartender's intense beauty?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

I forgot how long they took to build that guy. He should probably be the Adonis of character appearance and reality.

What is he drinking, milk? Warm cum?

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

a redditor, originally posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I think he is drinking a 'Dirty Sandi'.

Also, when talking about Star Citizen characters, you must judge them with the fact that you must keep in mind the song "Full Burn".

This makes them super mega ultra awesome.

thebacil
Jan 31, 2019
The tech behind the art in SC tends to be decent, clearly some talented 3D and tech artists worked on it, but its direction is derivative and ugly.

The characters look fine at best and awful at worst, they stick out like sore thumbs in their respective environments with their floaty and weightless animations and thousand yard stares.

For a 300 mil project that has at best a claim to having achieved decent graphical fidelity this is kinda pathetic. Speaking from the heart as a 3D artist, even though i mostly work on cheap mobile games, the aesthetics of SC as a whole and its characters are deeply disappointing.
In fact it was exactly its failure on the aesthetic front that made me curious as to why people were supporting with so much and how is it possible it achieved so little.

Also since cinematics were mentioned, i felt empathetic cringe watching Gary Oldman in the SQ42 trailer, thats how bad it was.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

resistentialism posted:

The development is extremely subtle,

It's like jazz, it's all about the development milestones you don't reach.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Peak Star Citizen aesthetic is the 890j trailer.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

trucutru posted:

that's the main problem. it isn't so much that individual assets are bad. they just have a real problem assembling them into environments that are more than the sum of the individual parts. occasionally with enough time they can manage it but it's rare. it's a big problem because it doesn't make a world that captures you and pulls you in, just a waiting room for gameplay that doesn't exist.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Top of reddit right now

Note to self: Dont open cargo door onto rocks

1 step forward, 2 steps back

Well, this one genuinely startled me

Plus some post about turret placement being crap

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jim DiGriz posted:

Sexist smart kid

It's like you can almost tell who is still in high school and/or living in their parents basement struggling to get an IT degree (CS was too hard, but they still want to feel smart).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just a reminder that actual good space game Outer Wilds has hit steam at a discount.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/753640/Outer_Wilds/

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Beet Wagon posted:

Also fwiw I'm not trying to dogpile. I understand the desire to be fair, and specifically to avoid the sort of kneejerk "Everything in Star Citizen must be horrible, I'm not allowed to think anything is good!" thing that people sometimes fall into. I just disagree with the idea of bending over backwards to try and excuse graphical shortcomings, particularly in a game where - like I said - they've been jacking off nonstop over eyeball texture fidelity for the last seven years.

It's not bending backwards. It's being fair. You can't take the best of game X and the worst of game Y and draw the conclusion that X is good and Y is bad. I mean, if you seriously see nothing wrong with how this whole debate started ( a comparison between Last of Us 2, main character cinematic, versus a generic in-game character in Star Citizen ), then I'm not sure what to say any more, I've made my point crystal clear. I wouldn't have raised hell if the comparison was with a cinematic character from SQ42.

Nyast fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 18, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All Star Citizen characters are generic. That's what happens when the person who micromanages every aspect of your game has no ideas of his own.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Nyast posted:

It's not bending backwards. It's being fair. You can't take the best of game X and the worst of game Y and draw the conclusion that X is good and Y is bad. I mean, if you seriously see nothing wrong with how this whole debate started ( a comparison between Last of Us 2, main character cinematic, versus a generic in-game character in Star Citizen ), then I'm not sure what to say any more, I've made my point crystal clear. I wouldn't have raised hell if the comparison was with a cinematic character from SQ42.

And, you are purposely ignoring when people do make X to X and Y to Y comparisons.

Look most of us have been following this game since its inception. It had very pretty static graphics almost a decade ago, there are games that are surpassing it and will continue to do so. There is nothing special about Star Citizen, nothing.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Inacio posted:

i managed to make the launcher button appear.

this number is going up and down.
$40,000 spenders get priority slots?

What the gently caress, wasn’t this problem only due to the ultra super massive number of players influx during free fly week?

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

monkeytek posted:

And, you are purposely ignoring when people do make X to X and Y to Y comparisons.

Look most of us have been following this game since its inception. It had very pretty static graphics almost a decade ago, there are games that are surpassing it and will continue to do so. There is nothing special about Star Citizen, nothing.

I am ignoring these comparisons because they're fair, that's my entire point and that's what I was asking for in the first place !

At no point have I defended or argued that Star Citizen, or SQ42's characters are better or look top-notch or worthy of $300M. I invite you to read again all my posts with a fresh mind. All I've said is "if you're gonna crap on Star Citizen, make sure you're comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges otherwise the comparison is biased".

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This discussion stemmed from how delusional backers are saying this game is revolutionary in every single aspect, especially graphics.

The moment they took that deal with Crytek to USE Cryengine (because they seemingly had no other options) this project was doomed. They wanted a good presentation and they sure as poo poo got it at the cost of using an old resource hog of an engine that is not designed for space games at all

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

People are being fair, imo, extremely fair by the standards of SA pileons. I had a very similar experience to the titanic over free fly week and did my level best to give the game a fair shake.

The npcs were competent for a 2012 game like spec ops the line, I'd say, though they were generally a combination of frozen, t-posed, flicking from place to place or superimposed on each other. The clothing and gear is decent, maybe solid 2016 vintage?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MedicineHut posted:

What the gently caress, wasn’t this problem only due to the ultra super massive number of players influx during free fly week?

Apparently spinning up additional servers is not in the cards.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Nyast posted:

I am ignoring these comparisons because they're fair, that's my entire point and that's what I was asking for in the first place !

At no point have I defended or argued that Star Citizen, or SQ42's characters are better or look top-notch or worthy of $300M. I invite you to read again all my posts with a fresh mind. All I've said is "if you're gonna crap on Star Citizen, make sure you're comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges otherwise the comparison is biased".

In a way I agree with you, you feel we are comparing the graphics from single player games to an MMO. I get that this is not valid. The main issue is that currently Star Citizen is a MP arena game pretending at some point that it will be an MMO and maintain the current graphics.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
I feel like we've reached a point in this discussion where discussing SC's graphics has become like discussing Sandi's attractiveness. It's like sure, 3D artists/DNA may have arranged all the pieces in more or less the right place, and given everything a convincing size and shape...but there's something about the whole package that is off-putting and mildly terrifying.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

you also gotta remember that dude is already in cryengine 3 thanks to a previous performance capture for Ryse

so they already had his facial animations and rigs right outta the box, including high lod and texture work

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Star Citizen is what you get when a bunch of untrained at best, inept at worst, people get together on a project none of them are remotely qualified to work on, and claim they'll do it better than seasoned and experienced professionals because

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

TheAgent posted:

you also gotta remember that dude is already in cryengine 3 thanks to a previous performance capture for Ryse

so they already had his facial animations and rigs right outta the box, including high lod and texture work

The Archering is pretty shameless, to the point where they actually use the Latin for soldier ("miles") as Eckhart's first name.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nyast posted:

who cares, star citizen looks dated as gently caress and is a boring nightmare of poor choices and tax breaks and I will take any and all opportunities to dunk on it just because why fuckin not lol

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

CB2077 delayed 8 weeks.

SC is... good?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
leave star citizen alone!

https://i.imgur.com/JB7xfzo.gifv

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beluga Snail posted:

CB2077 delayed 8 weeks.

SC is... good?
awhile back I wondered why they didn't just delay until the new consoles were out, could be angling as a next gen launch title at this point

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

TheAgent posted:

awhile back I wondered why they didn't just delay until the new consoles were out, could be angling as a next gen launch title at this point

Yeah it's telling that they're letting press start doing initial playthroughs and impressions 5 months in advance - while I'm sure they could use more time working out bugs and balance (and even if they do it'll likely still be a Witcher 3-esque buggy mess on launch just by virtue of how damned big it's sure to be) I also think they could have made that Sep date if they wanted to. I'd wager some kind of sweet sweet tie in with one of the new consoles might be involved.

Also, belated congratulations on the nuptials! Hopefully the honeymoon went well regaling the new spouse with the latest HELLO dump.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I suspect it's just not that fun yet and they're frantically trying to put the fun in. Poor devs, I hope their families didn't want to see them for the next six months..

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nyast posted:

Nah I mean you wrote like detailed instructions about which character tiers can be compared between which games. It's really not that complicated and I don't think anyone has to do that much to justify the statement that star citizen characters look like poo poo, because they objectively do and anybody who fires it up long enough to see one realizes this.

Beluga Snail posted:

CB2077 delayed 8 weeks.

SC is... good?

Reddit is gonna be insufferable lol, thank god I don't go there any more

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Nyast posted:

Fair points.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Defiance Industries posted:

All Star Citizen characters are generic. That's what happens when the person who micromanages every aspect of your game has no ideas of his own.

...and won't let the artists use their ideas, which is how you most effectively use an artist. You don't hire them to drive Blender (or whatever the cool renderkids are using these days); you hire them to be creative and turn your thoughts/direction into a better concrete expression than you ever could.

Theoretically. Speaking as someone who does not understand game/software/art/joke development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
thank you, I read her the hello dump in lieu of our wedding vows, it was a big mistake as the county clerk was a $250,000 backer and has now completely refunded

my bad, crobbear