Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Angepain posted:

the real Curse Of Ham is when an old white man swears at you about being willing to nuke things

lol'd

And yeah I didn't give my previous the right emphasis, I definitely think it's used today as a full on racism defense, just thought given some of the things theologians have historically come up with it may not be a completely false origin.

e; £112 billion is 12 billion more than the £100 billion quid the government is spending (on either Boris boondoggles or padding their mate's bank accounts).

Would genuinely be surprised of 12 billion of that goes anywhere useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

zhar posted:

Afaik for this kind of thing it's usually used to buy government bonds

Given the people who generally hold government bonds the effect is asset prices across the board rise

It's QE so not just government bonds, it's purchasing other bonds from financial institutions to change assets to cash in an attempt to spur more lending (it doesn't work).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This Page3 show on Ch4 is surreal. At one point a quarter of the UK population "read" the Sun everyday. So that's probably every other British male regularly salivating over nonce pictures...

:sterv:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

lol'd

And yeah I didn't give my previous the right emphasis, I definitely think it's used today as a full on racism defense, just thought given some of the things theologians have historically come up with it may not be a completely false origin.
Apparently one reason that the Biblical curses of Canaan/Ham/African people came up was that the predominant theory before then was that you got darker the more sun you were exposed to, which is why the grubby workers were more tan than the lily white aristocracy (which isn't 100% false) and took to the extreme that if you're exposed to the tropical sun you turn black.

Which made the English reluctant to move to the tropical colonies, for fear that they'd turn in Black people.

So a new 'race' theory based on the Bible was popularized which conveniently also allowed for slavery.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This Page3 show on Ch4 is surreal. At one point a quarter of the UK population "read" the Sun everyday. So that's probably every other British male regularly salivating over nonce pictures...

:sterv:
:actually: they're ephebophile pictures.

This probably explains a lot.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I seem to remember an Adam Curtis piece in the early 2010s where he said that of the ~£750bn the BofE spooged on quantitative easing after Gordon Brown spent the poonds the Global Financial Crisis, something like 80% went straight to the banks' balance sheets and wasn't given out as loans as intended.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Drawing up my wishlist for the £100bn to send to Spaffer

- contract SpaceX to launch all are statues into low British orbit where the leftists can't get at them

- Track and Trace announced for PS5 and Nintendo Switch

- Union Jack skins for all public transport, government buildings, and professional footballers

- free sausage rolls (means tested)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wachter posted:

- Union Jack skins for all public transport, government buildings, and professional footballers

Only if they have to do T-poses as well

zhar
May 3, 2019

namesake posted:

It's QE so not just government bonds, it's purchasing other bonds from financial institutions to change assets to cash in an attempt to spur more lending (it doesn't work).

You say it doesn't work but according to the spooky curtis piece kingturnip referenced it's one of the most successful transfers of wealth to the rich in modern times so maybe it does work for it's actual intended purpose

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

TACD posted:

For those people heavily invested in my partner's lovely boss and the time-travelling holidays: Good news! She sent the sternly-worded email yesterday evening and around lunchtime today got a reply from her boss in a tone I'd describe as business grovelling apologising for the misunderstanding and asking her to instead take eight days of holiday a couple of weeks from now, with uncharacteristically extensive quotes from company policy that implied he'd received a very serious talking-to from HR and/or the general manager for his cavalier loving about.

Partner is absolutely delighted to have got her holiday back but even more happy to have got one over on the lovely gaslighting boss. Cheers for your advice all :)

Nice.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

zhar posted:

You say it doesn't work but according to the spooky curtis piece kingturnip referenced it's one of the most successful transfers of wealth to the rich in modern times so maybe it does work for it's actual intended purpose

Eh I'm the last person to go to bat for the system but QE is just desperate people with narrow vision of what a central bank can do/is allowed to do rather than a covert scheme to make shitheads even richer. They're driven by dogma and ideology rather than duplicity.

Not that that changes the real impact of what they do and what should change their thinking.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol sometimes I forget how scummy the guardian is

sinister Jeremey corbos toxic culture of sabotaging himself and the party, being racist against Diane Abbott and trying to purge any trot with views to the left of blair

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 18, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wonder if any paper is going to observe that the disunity was caused entirely by the Labour right refusing to work with Corbyn and actively sabotaging him, therefore ahahahahahaha gently caress no they won't it's time to make sure Corbyn's dead and buried

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Hey everyone, particularly Bristol based goons, here's a petition worth signing to stop a pointless administrative change harming a refugee:

https://www.change.org/p/uk-home-office-show-compassion-for-disabled-refugee-in-hunger-strike-for-justice

quote:

UK Home Office: Show compassion for Disabled refugee in hunger-strike for justice.

WA came to the UK from Palestine aged 14, seeking sanctuary after his family had been killed and he had been tortured. He has lived with a foster family in Bristol, UK, for the last 12 years.

On arrival in the UK he was assessed as being 14 years old. However, he was later re-assessed and was given a new date of birth, making him 5 years older than he is.

WA is now 26 and gains no legal status from the change of date. However, he feels that his date of birth is his remaining link to his past. He believes the Home Office has robbed him of his identity.

He has learning difficulties and experiences depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) which have been exacerbated by feeling deprived of his remaining link to his past and his memories associated with his parents and his identity. Together with his foster mother he sought legal support to get his date of birth corrected.

On 6th March this year he was told this was not possible.

He then began a hunger strike which he has maintained very since. He is now in a critical condition in hospital and is prepared to die unless his identity is returned to him.

We the undersigned send a message of love and solidarity to WA and urge the Home Office to show compassion for this man's life, to accept the date of birth with which he grew up with and which defines his identity.

'Refugee on hunger strike over age dispute with Home Office' - Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/11/refugee-on-hunger-strike-over-age-dispute-with-home-office

'Former asylum seeker on hunger strike over his age' - BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53013800

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ms Adequate posted:

Wonder if any paper is going to observe that the disunity was caused entirely by the Labour right refusing to work with Corbyn and actively sabotaging him, therefore ahahahahahaha gently caress no they won't it's time to make sure Corbyn's dead and buried

I wonder if any paper is going to acknowledge that they were fuelling the disunity just as actively as the wreckers.

I don't, but I feel like the point is worth making.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Channel 4 just did a documentary on page 3, and that there were 16 year olds dressed as schoolgirls on the cover of British newspapers at the same time as Big Brother has hosed with my head like that Oxford/Aztec thing.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Total Meatlove posted:

Channel 4 just did a documentary on page 3, and that there were 16 year olds dressed as schoolgirls on the cover of British newspapers at the same time as Big Brother has hosed with my head like that Oxford/Aztec thing.

This reminds of the classic 2-page spread in the Scum, which on one page seethed with rage over the BrassEye special satirising public hysteria over paedophilia, while the other sported a huge photo of Charlotte Church's bust, with the caption "She's a big girl now". She was 15.

E:

Jedit posted:

I thought that was the Mail?

We're both wrong, it was the Star.

Wachter fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 18, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Still no arrest for man dressed as glans

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wachter posted:

This reminds of the classic 2-page spread in the Scum, which on one page seethed with rage over the BrassEye special satirising public hysteria over paedophilia, while the other sported a huge photo of Charlotte Church's bust, with the caption "She's a big girl now". She was 15.

I thought that was the Mail?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Still makes me angry that we spent all that taxpayer money on finding Maddie but the guy who dresses up as a school is still at large. He really was a poo poo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wachter posted:

Absolutely classic Scum.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ms Adequate posted:

The Guardian covering the anti-semitism stuff so deeply and then paying absolutely no attention to the massive revelation that internal elements were sabotaging the direct handling of complaints, a development that recontextualises the entire story, is so loving blackpilling. They never gave the slightest poo poo about anti-semitism as an objective issue. They were just doing a smear campaign.

And honestly it bums me out just in a really earnest let's-be-nice way, there were party members spouting hateful poo poo about Jewish people and the right wing of the party deliberately conspired to keep those people as members for longer, they deliberately delayed the expulsions and allowed those people to claim the sociopolitical credibility of a major party, that's a big loving deal they actively promoted the political legitimisation of people they knew were anti-semites it's loving disgusting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Absolutely classic Scum.
Axe wrestling sounds dangerous.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The headline calling Brass Eye "out of touch" is just perfect.

justcola posted:

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/british-bone-marrow-registry/

It's a good cause, especially with bone marrow, so if you have the time go and give some blood.

PSA: As the bone marrow registries contain almost exclusively white people it's particularly good if non-white people can sign up, and even better if you're a combination of different ethnicities because that generates the odd HLA combinations that are difficult to match. Thanks!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/1273540187163852801?s=20

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Is this some Elonite nonsense or...?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I'm pretty sure Apple & Google are only giving state health services the API keys for their bluetooth contact logging thing.
so what's Wales' plane? has he nicked the German DoH's keys? big tech can just revoke those and issue new ones to the government there

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

The headline calling Brass Eye "out of touch" is just perfect.

PSA: As the bone marrow registries contain almost exclusively white people it's particularly good if non-white people can sign up, and even better if you're a combination of different ethnicities because that generates the odd HLA combinations that are difficult to match. Thanks!

It's not even as if that type of article was rare. I remember people sharing a dozen different examples of the "She's a big girl now" type stories, often when young celebrities or celebrities' young kids turned 16. It certainly was a tabloid staple and I'm sure there are still recent examples because the underlying culture hasn't changed.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Yes it's nonsense, he personally couldn't fund it and even if it were a Wiki project then it would still be handling a state function over to an NGO for no reason other than our government doesn't want to do it right to begin with.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

The Telegraph more or less still does this every exam-results season

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think he's offering to deliver the app itself free of charge rather than waiting for more tory cronies to get huge bungs and fail to deliver.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

This article suggests

quote:

Wales is confident that he could rally the open source community to volunteer their effort and avoid having to spend taxpayer money

which sounds a lot like Elonite bollocks to me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

The German app is open source other than the Google/Apple API bit, so it sounds more like he's offering to translate it, and host it, with the agreement of the NHS to do the positive confirmation code bit.

That would require the government and Department of Health to openly throw their hands up and say they can't do anything right and only private third parties can, but:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Um no. The King dismissed Parliament altogether and raised money by dubious prerogatives such as Ship Money, there was no 'rump'. Meanwhile Pride's Purge was Fairfax not Cromwell who was not yet Top Dog.

Like um not to be rude but if you think Cromwell personally started the English Civil War you might want to read a book...

Huh. I stand corrected then. Also, gently caress you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Drone_Fragger posted:

Huh. I stand corrected then. Also, gently caress you.

The first season of the Revolutions podcast was about the English Civil War and is well worth a listen if that's more your bag. Admittedly I mostly listen to it while trying to get to sleep (the guy's got a very restful voice) so I'm only really knowledgeable about the first third of any of the major events of the war.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wachter posted:

This article suggests

quote:

Wales is confident that he could rally the open source community to volunteer their effort and avoid having to spend taxpayer money

which sounds a lot like Elonite bollocks to me

lol sure does

"I could roll this out

meaning other people do all the work but I claim credit"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
German app source code is here, so I don't doubt that he could download some source code and make some cosmetic tweaks, or ask someone else to do so.

All the infrastructure to get between that app and the NHS issuing contact trace details is conveniently Not Jimmy's Problem.

e: That's just the general documentation, but they have said all source is Apache license in those docs.

e2: Here we go, iOS app, Android app, and a bunch of server side stuff on the main page.

itt we make our own contact tracing application.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 19, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'll start the wiki

oh poo poo!!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Actually, thinking about it, Jimmy's suggestion is the polar opposite of an Elon Musk Child Coffin Cave Rescue Playset, because it's a proven, sensible alternative to a pie-in-the-sky "world-beating" solution that probably won't work and is backed by a complete idiot. It still has that same self-aggrandizing Twitter tech-messiah energy, however.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1273702696076410882

can you like, not, newsnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The first season of the Revolutions podcast was about the English Civil War and is well worth a listen if that's more your bag. Admittedly I mostly listen to it while trying to get to sleep (the guy's got a very restful voice) so I'm only really knowledgeable about the first third of any of the major events of the war.

While you're there, I think that's the same guy that did a pretty awesome History of Rome podcast which I enjoyed lots at the time. Even if I've forgotten 90% of it by now.