Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Can't wait to see Mae and Daisy with 80s hair.

Errr I mean 70s

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Oh hell yeah we've entered the Dazed and Confused universe!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I don’t know if my heart can take 70s Daisy.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yeah next week looks amazing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
YOOOO NEXT WEEK LOOKS loving SICK

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Holy poo poo they are just doing a 70s cop show now. How is SHIELD the only show on TV that knows how to have this much fun?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That was no doubt a top ten episode.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Still miss Fitz.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Come with me if you want to continue to exist got me good.

spoiler because it's from the teaser for next week's episode

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

that episode was delightful and next week looks ever better

I'm gonna miss this show

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

GLOSS posted:

The producers just saying gently caress it and doing what they want with this final season absolutely rules, a 100% noir episode is absolutely ridiculous to pull off now and I'm here for it...

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Holy poo poo they are just doing a 70s cop show now. How is SHIELD the only show on TV that knows how to have this much fun?
It reminds me of some of the weirder poo poo Fringe started doing. There was always at least a couple bonkers genre-bending episodes per season, and they just experimented like crazy with their format by the end of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't know why I wasn't expecting the Hydra thread to keep going, but I wasn't expecting the Hydra thread to keep going.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
It may have been a bit of a stretch, but I was highly amused the monochrome and monologueing bits had an in-universe component.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I liked that May brought colour and normality back into Coulsons life. That was Avery cute beat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Agents of Shield is just Legends of Tomorrow now, and that's amazing.

I did not see Sousa coming along with them, but that's an amazing development.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Now I want to see Deke awkwardly try to bond with Sousa over their shared "Stuck out of Time" situation

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Agents of Shield season 1: A hacker, two scientists, a traitor and a ninja, led by a stuffed suit.
AoS season 7: Two superhumans, a tech-wizard, a medic-wizard, a scrounger-survivor from the future, a stuffed suit from the past, a ninja-empath and two robots, led by a brick wall.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Man, this season has been so good so far. If it continues delivering like this, it's gonna be one of the best seasons in the series. Surprising, too, since the last few seasons have been varying degrees of disappointing.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mymla posted:

Surprising, too, since the last few seasons have been varying degrees of disappointing.

:frogout:

Seriously, I get that some episodes have been uneven, but AoS has overall been pretty solid quality television ever since it got past season 1

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Did anyone else notice that this episode sort of threw a wrench into the LMD-Simmons theory?
Mays weird super empathy was neutral to Coulson, but could pick up Gemmas science nerd giddiness.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did anyone else notice that this episode sort of threw a wrench into the LMD-Simmons theory?
Mays weird super empathy was neutral to Coulson, but could pick up Gemmas science nerd giddiness.

That theory was on pretty shaky ground after we saw the aftermath of the EMP from last week and there was no indication that Simmons shut down.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mymla posted:

Man, this season has been so good so far. If it continues delivering like this, it's gonna be one of the best seasons in the series. Surprising, too, since the last few seasons have been varying degrees of disappointing.

Yeah I'm gonna disagree, I still think 4 is my favorite but going back and rewatching bits of 5 and six, they were absolutely amazing.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I don't know why I wasn't expecting the Hydra thread to keep going, but I wasn't expecting the Hydra thread to keep going.

:same:

Was not at all expecting to see Freddie again. Looking like he might be a recurring antagonist in each time period.

Hydra: When one story thread ends, two more shall take its place!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

GLOSS posted:

The producers just saying gently caress it and doing what they want with this final season absolutely rules, a 100% noir episode is absolutely ridiculous to pull off now and I'm here for it...

That's what they did after the first season of Legends of Tomorrow, and that worked out the same way. Apparently gives-no-fucks time travel shows just work.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how this show refuses to hide that America in the past was super racist and sexist, and have Deke be the one who vocalizes it. Also Deke was the only one who actually seemed happy to hear from Enoch, though by then Enoch was too jaded to care.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am surprised they didn't name drop the guy at the bar, like making him Maria Hill's grandfather or something like that. Also sad we didn't get another Koening.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, I feel really bad for Enoch. I hope the other Omnicrons don't get to him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

swickles posted:

I am surprised they didn't name drop the guy at the bar, like making him Maria Hill's grandfather or something like that.

It is totally 100% headcanon that the CO he was complaining about was Dum Dum Dugan.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Slashrat posted:

:frogout:

Seriously, I get that some episodes have been uneven, but AoS has overall been pretty solid quality television ever since it got past season 1

I'm not saying they've been bad, but the last few seasons definitely haven't kept the same quality as the seasons that came before.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
5 and 6 were not as good as 4, yeah... but that's a high bar. 5 and 6 were pretty good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This show is so much loving fun

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Henry Simmons got to keep a shotgun axe. :unsmith:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Couldn’t someone have just called Enoch to chat and work out a plan? Surely.

Meanwhile they have Souza with them; that’s brilliant. I wonder if they’ll fix his limp.

But more pressingly, is Fitz completely gone!? Did he get sacked?
And we only have like 8-9 episodes left?!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
He apparently had other filming commitments he picked up while the show's renewal future seemed grim. He'll be back in a recurring role later.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Teek posted:

He apparently had other filming commitments he picked up while the show's renewal future seemed grim. He'll be back in a recurring role later.

I feel like we could get some voice communication between them like we did in the season 6 finale.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I feel really bad for Enoch. I hope the other Omnicrons don't get to him.

He makes a fantastic cocktail.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

He makes a fantastic cocktail.

I hope we get a web episode that is Enoch telling us how to make a Barricoolada and other cocktails.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I don't know what I expected this season, but them pulling a Mandelorian and turning AOS into their personal dream film school wasn't it. Everyone's gone 'gently caress it let's have some fun', and it's awesome.

I get the feeling the decision to go full black and white may have come after shooting here - Film Noir's look was largely defined by low budgets meeting film stock intended for giant lighting rigs that ate the electricity of a small town, which in turn forced directors and writers to really think about the visual elements crucial to a scene since they could only light 2 or 3 things bits of a shot at a time. That's also why every character smoked so much - it's a way to get another light in the scene for a moment, and add a bit of texture and depth to a shot that a big budget production would do with the set design. There were tons of shots where the light was drawing the eye away from the things that actually mattered. Colour aside, it was shot like a TV show.

AOS is a competently put together show - I can't imagine any DOP hasn't watched Sunset Boulevard 50 times already and wasn't determined to throw as many shadows and bright patches all over every shot as they could muster, so I'm assuming it was planned later and the production team just said 'gently caress It, go for it.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Andrew_1985 posted:

But more pressingly, is Fitz completely gone!? Did he get sacked?
And we only have like 8-9 episodes left?!

IMDb shows him back in episode 6