Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, that's Nemesis. I think it might be the only Millar thing I've read. I am very ok with that staying the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't that the one with the all white joker?

He's not the Joker. Nemesis is anti-Batman - he's very rich and very bored, so one day he decides to dress in white and be a villain.

And even Millar fans called him out on the booby trapped womb because it was dumb. It's by a long way the worst thing he's written.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jedit posted:

It's by a long way the worst thing he's written.

Unfunnies takes that honour I think.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Jedit posted:

It is, and he didn't. All the Secret Service stories were written by Rob Williams, who is credited as writer on the sequels. I do believe that Millar had the original idea, though, so it's more of him trying to be a Stan Lee for his Millarworld line than outright theft.

He's also stopped doing it since the Netflix deal, probably because one of the terms would be that if this happened again then all the projects would be shitcanned.

Millar wrote the original The Secret Service miniseries, unless memory (and my Google searching) is failing me really badly. Williams wrote the sequel series a few years later, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Unfunnies is an excellent reason to seal Millar into a vault and throw away the key all on its own.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Did Nemesis even have a fully story arc because I just remember hearing about that stupid first issue and nothing else.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It sucks Millar is a talented writer, decides to mostly just write gross, immature stuff, and has probably made more money off licensing than any other living comic writer. Except Kirkman, probably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/warrenellis/status/1273785757338083328?s=20

I think it's a good apology, but I need to see him actually do the work he says he'll do. I thought Louis CK's apology when the poo poo about him first came out was well done and then he just hunkered down for 6 months and came back pretending nothing happened.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i feel like the idea that he didnt realize he was in a position of power would land better if the main allegation in the news right now wasnt that she was 19 and he was 30something at the time

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Madkal posted:

Did Nemesis even have a fully story arc because I just remember hearing about that stupid first issue and nothing else.

Yeah. The protagonist is a well-known supercop who's doing his best to catch Nemesis, and the book is a series of back-and-forth moves between them.

RevKrule posted:

You mean it's missing the incest baby with abortion-trigger bomb?

Yeah, I'm not forgetting that one for a while.

Not just that. Before Secret Service, most of his creator-owned work had remarkably bleak endings. The first volume of Kick-rear end, Chosen, Nemesis, and Wanted, off the top of my head, all have very "edgelord" conclusions. Wanted might be the happiest, and only then because Wesley did manage to murder most of the world's villains by the end, so he's done a lot of good overall even if he himself is still a monster.

I will say that Huck was fairly upbeat overall, and I actually like MPH more than most of his creator-owned work, so he's getting a little better as he goes. Prodigy is a little by-the-numbers, though.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

site posted:

i feel like the idea that he didnt realize he was in a position of power would land better if the main allegation in the news right now wasnt that she was 19 and he was 30something at the time

Also that he was literally know as Stalin on WEF.

Dr Nerdlove has a good accounting of the culture of the forum and the wider culture of comics. I’ve only been on the edges of this world but none of what is described sounds out of character to me. https://www.doctornerdlove.com/on-finding-out-your-heroes-are-monsters-or-detoxifying-comic-culture/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

doingitwrong posted:

Also that he was literally know as Stalin on WEF.
He tries to elide that at the start of his "apology", with his comment about how he never thought of himself as powerful and famous despite twenty years of bad jokes about it.

quote:

Dr Nerdlove has a good accounting of the culture of the forum and the wider culture of comics. I’ve only been on the edges of this world but none of what is described sounds out of character to me. https://www.doctornerdlove.com/on-f...-comic-culture/
I was around on the WEF during those days and this all scans to me - especially the use of this picture:

Steve McQueen slapping Ali McGraw from The Getaway (1972)

as the WEF's stock response to anyone complaining or stepping out of line. Ha ha hilarious!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/TiredFairy/status/1273800832710930433?s=20

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Very strong Myth of the Male Bumbler vibes coming off of Ellis's response.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

FMguru posted:

He tries to elide that at the start of his "apology", with his comment about how he never thought of himself as powerful and famous despite twenty years of bad jokes about it.

I was around on the WEF during those days and this all scans to me - especially the use of this picture:

Steve McQueen slapping Ali McGraw from The Getaway (1972)

as the WEF's stock response to anyone complaining or stepping out of line. Ha ha hilarious!
One of the many receipts I wish I had kept, but do you have any recollection of Brian Wood making that image into a house ad for AiT/PlanetLar on some weird "Comics of Action. For Real Men!" tip that in my head I conflate with the weird ongoing grudge against Lea Hernandez? I found an off-hand reference to it on a Brian Wood blog/forum years ago, but when I looked for it awhile back that link is dead thanks to Brian Wood doing a media scrub when all his stuff hit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Edge & Christian posted:

One of the many receipts I wish I had kept, but do you have any recollection of Brian Wood making that image into a house ad for AiT/PlanetLar on some weird "Comics of Action. For Real Men!" tip that in my head I conflate with the weird ongoing grudge against Lea Hernandez? I found an off-hand reference to it on a Brian Wood blog/forum years ago, but when I looked for it awhile back that link is dead thanks to Brian Wood doing a media scrub when all his stuff hit.
That sounds vaguely familiar (and be would entirely on brand for Larry Young's throwback Rat Pack "real man" horseshit persona) but I have no specific recollection.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

FMguru posted:

That sounds vaguely familiar (and be would entirely on brand for Larry Young's throwback Rat Pack "real man" horseshit persona) but I have no specific recollection.
The overall Lionization (and subsequent memory holing) of Larry Young. I wonder what happened there?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I wonder if all this poo poo floating around Ellis was the reason why all of his artists bailed on him in the middle of any long form work he was trying to do in the last 10 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Putrid Grin posted:

I wonder if all this poo poo floating around Ellis was the reason why all of his artists bailed on him in the middle of any long form work he was trying to do in the last 10 years.

Very possible. Hell there's projects he announced that never saw light despite being well into production.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody pointed out this makes the Kitty Pryde/Pete Wisdom stuff, at best, much weirder in hindsight.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The Ellis stuff is especially awful because until this I would have held him up as some who was great at using his platform for promoting up-and-coming artists and writers, especially female ones. A lot of the people coming out with gross stories about him now are people whose work I’ve been following for years that I only learned about in the first place because of Ellis featuring them on one of his blogs or newsletters. Ughhh.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah. The reckoning that Nerdlove points us towards is that he was both. He was a supportive mentor, he signal boosted many great creators, and he abused that power. More and more, this is what a lot of creative industries need to deal with. We’re getting past the easily hated monsters and moving towards dealing with the damage caused by flawed sometimes well meaning sometimes horrible bundles of contradictions that are a much larger swath of people. That mess is going to be extremely difficult to untangle.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://twitter.com/seidmanlea/status/1273877446333313025?s=21

NerdLove apologized in a reply.

Edge & Christian posted:

https://twitter.com/seidmanlea/status/1273914352458846212?s=21

She has a thread in reply here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sounds like there might be even more to it

https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/status/1273995714121654280?s=20
https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/status/1274007243445411840?s=20

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

I love how the industry I want to work in has an implosion every few months entirely predicated on the fact that it refuses to keep its house in order, shut down this creepy behavior and lock out the bums who perpetuate it.

Also love how this system is so sideways that so many highly placed women in there have been harrassed, to the point where that harrassment is practically considered a rite of passage.

Because making your supposed colleagues feel worthless is just normal when you're building a cool insider society that normies can't handle. Because when people desperately want to work in your space, the reasonable course of action is to use them, bully them, and throw them aside when you find a shiny new thing.

No, wait: I don't love it, I am actually in genuine pain, and I hate it here!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Eisner Awards voting website closed abruptly due to "anomaly," with investigation underway by Comic-Con

In merely incompetent news, voting for the Eisners was abruptly stopped due to serious security issues.

Users were changing sessions every page load, and could change other people's votes. They could also see the home address of whoever the site believed they were.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Number go up!

https://twitter.com/Foxtongue/status/1273746722380869632

The Facebook group for women to share their experiences of Ellis creeping on them has grown to almost 50 people. loving yikes.

Also LOL at that Eisner voting debacle. Reasonably secure online voting has been a thing for 20 years, but they chose instead to go with some HTML 1.0 Perl/CGI era implementation for their system.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The hits keep on coming, this one about the head of the CBLDF.

https://twitter.com/Jennifer_deG/status/1274067226425831424

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/anime/status/1274035478963068928?s=21

Not the first senior figure in Dark Horse to be a creep - there was an exposé on Scott Allie five years ago:

https://twitter.com/ann_lynzee/status/1274125615101128704?s=21

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dawgstar posted:

The hits keep on coming, this one about the head of the CBLDF.

https://twitter.com/Jennifer_deG/status/1274067226425831424

don't they explicitly defend pedophiles?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Most of their cases are people arrested for either making or distributing "obscene material" but what that means varies wildly to stuff you wouldn't think twice about an adolescent reading to stuff that's pretty loving disgusting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It's more of a "we support everyone due to the first amendment despite subject matter". The case I vaguely remember was Boiled Angels where the author was arrested for doing some dumb rear end "edgy" comic and eventually convicted for obscenity. I guess you can decide whether that is worth defending or not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone's favorite imbecile decided to weigh in on this:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1273988950470864903

Always a good sign when the scum of the earth come to your defense. Ellis unequivocally told ComicsGate to gently caress off when it was picking up steam, so none of them are in a hurry to actually doxx or attack people on his account, thankfully.

Unfortunately some of his shittier fans are doing that anyway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The wild storm/cyberfrog crossover is gonna put comicsgate on the map in 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It begins

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/1274125604967690241

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just read the news about Ellis and it's just dawning that my favorite Batman story of all time (the Planetary/Batman crossover) was written by a serial predator.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I just read the news about Ellis and it's just dawning that my favorite Batman story of all time (the Planetary/Batman crossover) was written by a serial predator.

Could be worse. You could be a fan of WRPGs and discover a tremendous majority of them were also.
(linking from another thread.)

He's also worked on comics as well so I guess it belongs here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Schneider Heim posted:

Don't worry, that just means you haven't read Judgement on Gotham yet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Jedit posted:

Don't worry, that just means you haven't read Judgement on Gotham yet.

Absolutely not the time or place for whatever this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

[Avellone's] also worked on comics as well so I guess it belongs here.

Did he? I think I entirely missed that part of things. This is totally after his "I'm post-Obsidian and leaping from consult to consult" era, isn't it?