Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

TheAgent posted:

thank you, I read her the hello dump in lieu of our wedding vows, it was a big mistake as the county clerk was a $250,000 backer and has now completely refunded

my bad, crobbear

I picture in my head when, in lieu of asking if anyone present objected, he just stuttered out the words "but fidelity" before Uncle Derek popped up from behind a bush somewhere and shouted "CALLED IT" before running off to accost a Coke machine.

10/10 would attend this imaginary wedding again.

EDIT - Taxxe. This is Cricket, he is 16 years old, which means he sadly likely won't be able to cruise through the 'verse with us friends.

Beluga Snail fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
100 person wedding, including venue, photographer, dj, food and alcohol: $23,000
solid gold 1/25th scale idris wedding cake topper, $500,000

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beluga Snail posted:

CB2077 delayed 8 weeks.

SC is... good?

Any time anything happens to another game, SC is good.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

I mean, Bethesda are the only devs even more stupid than CIG because they decided to make their space game on Gamebryo. It is to be expected that development is a mess.

Totally Games (developers of the X-Wing / Tie Fighter games among others) made a space game in 2002, Star Trek: Bridge Commander, that used the NetImmerse engine (renamed into Gamebryo in 2003). Of course, it was likely not the same type of space game and they didn't have to build it on top of 18 years of Bethesda code hacks, so that probably helped.

It's sad to see Gamebryo get a bad reputation just because Bethesda's modified version of it is such trash :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sarsapariller posted:

Or the Night Mother from Skyrim who I will not link here because that poo poo is downright unsettling?

I really really regret looking her up.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1271853589330362369
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1272212204687962113
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1272638954425053185
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1273008918965260288
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1273360212276068354
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1273741435586531328

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

I suspect it's just not that fun yet and they're frantically trying to put the fun in. Poor devs, I hope their families didn't want to see them for the next six months..

That would be really sad, though somewhat plausible. Fun is difficult to (motion) capture, after all.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Someone post that screenshot of the Vanduul cockpit

You know the one i mean

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

sebmojo posted:

I just realised that star wars bf2 has a decent single player game! Enjoying zapping the rebel scum.

It's surprising how often I'll be playing something and think this is so much better than star citizen.

Have you played the Titan Fall 2 campaign?
If not, please, try it.
The action, pace, immersion and audio-visual presentation and experience let’s the SC PTU look like the POS that it actually is.
If SQ42 ever comes out I seriously doubt it can match this 2016 game.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Everyone should play the Titanfall 2 campaign no I will not shut up about this!!!

Also, holy poo poo the new Star Wars game looks good. Talkin' about character faces and poo poo, jeez.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Beet Wagon posted:

Everyone should play the Titanfall 2 campaign no I will not shut up about this!!!

Agreed. It's even on sale on Steam right now!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also get three friends and try out Frontier Defense, it's fun

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Also get three friends and try out Frontier Defense, it's fun

Lol, this is the star citizen thread. If we had friends we wouldn’t be here.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Blue On Blue posted:

Someone post that screenshot of the Vanduul cockpit

You know the one i mean

r/starcitizen: Imagine a Vanduul ship with double Cockpit (Naahh...no good idea)

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Also, holy poo poo the new Star Wars game looks good. Talkin' about character faces and poo poo, jeez.

Looked amazing. They seemed to imply the main mode is the multi-stage multiplayer "fleet battles", immediately thought of Theatres of War. I mean a good version. And no tanks.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

LOL the "Fair Chance Act"

Star Trek has the Prime Directive based off a quickly thrown together script for a cheesy weekly serial on TV.

SC with all of their Lore, all of these creative geniuses comes up with "Fair Chance Act" I mean at least call it the Ossain Accords or whatever the hell those imaginary aliens are.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr.PayDay posted:

Have you played the Titan Fall 2 campaign?
If not, please, try it.
The action, pace, immersion and audio-visual presentation and experience let’s the SC PTU look like the POS that it actually is.
If SQ42 ever comes out I seriously doubt it can match this 2016 game.

That was literally one of the games where I had that thought! I finished it on pc, now I'm playing it again on ps4pro.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Interesting. I've been reading up a lot on that late 80s/early 90s era and it's interesting how the Amiga went from contender to zero as PC clones came to rule the day.

The concept of the Amiga originally was a console , hence the closed architecture.
Techwise the Amiga was stuck in 1986, based on the 68000 Motorola CPU Platform (that was launched 1979) and still had the first software Raytracing Demo ever, where gaming journalists felt it was a hoax as that Juggler demo must have been rendered on mainframe tech.
The Copper and Blitter coprocessors allowed graphics and sprites that could match the far more newer and modern next gen consoles Super Famicon/Nintendo and Sega Mega Drive.

Shadow of the Beast from Psygnosis or Lionheart from Thalion were bar setting testaments how amazing the visual capabilities of the Commodore Amiga were.

Turrican 2 on the Amiga or Apidya were on the level of Arcade devices back in the day, and you should look up what the Neo Geo had as a pricetag.

Soundwise the Amiga was next level. We still got remixes from Amiga Music today, like Mitch Murders Lost Patrol or the Instant Remedy and Mind.in.a.Box stuff.

There is a whole community : https://www.amigaremix.com

Many professional video game musicians and gfx artists started their career with and on the Amiga.

The Amiga lost it‘s ground around 1992 as the modular PC architecture was superior and VGA and 3D gfx outclassed the Amiga with it‘s outdated year 1986 limitations.

When it comes to games, yeah, 90% of the library was mediocre, the Amiga was excellent for Jump n Run/Platform, Sport and Arcade Games.

AI intensive Games, round based games like Battle Isle or in general Car and Flight Simulators we’re better suited for PCs.
The Amiga 3000, 4000 and Amiga CD could not compete with the 3DO or the first PlayStation. The PC was killing Amigas as soon as they got their precious VGA cards and 286 processors with up to 66 MHz in 1993.

Soccer games like Kick Off or Action Games were poo poo on PC 1991. The same games looked better on Amiga , the sound was better, the scrolling smoother.

But when I first played Gunship 2000 on MS DOS in 1991, it was obvious, the Amiga days were counted. Gunship was converted to Amiga 500 in 1993, and the 7 MHz CPU got wrecked.
1992 Wolfenstein was not even ported for Amiga iirc because the 68000 was too slow.

1994 was the last year, Amiga 500, 600. 1200 and Amiga CD32 were somewhat “relevant” for game devs, but Amiga Computers has less than 10% market share in game sales 1992.
It was over.
The Amiga had a great 7 year run as a gaming system (most of the time unmatched in sound design, parallax scrolling and sprites ) that never could hide its console designed architecture

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 19, 2020

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, this isn't the first time we've had a little hoo-ha over the use of words.

To be honest, i can't get over the level of political correctness that is going on here (and believe me, i don't use that phrase lightly, its a phrase i've found all too often misused and abused).

Having given it some thought, and maybe you agree, i don't really want to be part of this community any more.

Love you all, but getting worked up over a phrase like this i frankly find insane.

Mods: Please do your thing whereby i can't post (perma), but can continue to read even when the paywall is up.

Everyone else: See you around, especially those of you who frequent the refund sub. ;) Its been fun.

Posting from the ancient past to say :lol:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Oh dang, Agony Aunt was of our regulars here.
Wtf did you do there, AA?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Destiny 2 is an MMO take a look at the art and characters from that. They definitely poo poo all over SC.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

That scene where Goose fucks Maverick in the rear end was my favorite memory of wing command.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

Honestly not really sure why we're even having the argument. Star Citizen characters just objectively look like poo poo most of the time lol, there's not really any need to compare them to other games.

Yeah this is quickly becoming a Merlin type argument from back in the day when we’d go around in the same circle about Star Citizen’s combat.

“The character models look bad compared to modern games.”

“Nah uhh, they look good.”

“No seriously, here are screenshots from a console game that came out a couple of years ago.”

“Well you can’t compare those to Star Citizens MAIN NPC’s!”

“What these ones?” (Posts more bad looking screenshots)

“Well it’s not the same genre of game!”

And so on into infinity...

It’s turtles all the way down.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 19, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mr.PayDay posted:

Oh dang, Agony Aunt was of our regulars here.
Wtf did you do there, AA?

He had the last in a running series of multi-page meltdowns over people taking issue with him using offensive words and phrases, followed by galaxy brained effort posts along the lines of “what is language anyway?” When he was rightfully dumped on for it again, he decided to pick up his toys and go home.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

colonelwest posted:

Yeah this is quickly becoming a Merlin type argument

poo poo now we've hit Godwin's law.

Do something dumb CIG!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
This is not the squadron you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcfJ9uEwvs

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

no_recall posted:

Ok, who is going to re-edit this with more Chris Roberts in it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

no_recall posted:

This looks real good and for $40 I’m in.

I also bought a Rift S so I’m doubly in

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

no_recall posted:

Hmm I might be taking back some of what I said. This looks pretty good, and like it actually has some depth to it.

But I’ll have to reserve judgment until they show off their bartender AI, that’s what really makes or breaks a space game.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 19, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pixelate posted:

poo poo now we've hit Godwin's law.

Do something dumb CIG!

Just to be clear, I’m not saying he shares the interests of our favorite Nazi enthusiast, just the same argument style of attritional ignorance.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Year 8+, and the Citizenry rejoices upon viewing more concept art; this time concept art for GUI.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

It’s obvious why the SQ42 video is delayed. The media team made the mistake of recording the actual game and Crobear lost his poo poo when he saw it. They will now be pre rendering the whole thing as a trailer.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
I originally backed Star Citizen in 2012 hoping that its success could spur developers revisiting the space sim games of my youth, didn’t think it would end up happening regardless of Star Citizen ever coming out.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
It'll be absolutely hilarious if during Star Wars : Squadrons missions we're teamed with Luke Skywalker / Wedge.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
After that gameplay trailer for the real Squadron game, yeah we can forget all about seeing any S42 video. If the video wasn't already canceled, it sure as poo poo is now. I wonder how long it will be before CIG even dares to breathe the word "squadron" again.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 19, 2020

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Mr.PayDay posted:

Amiga words

Thanks for all the info, friend. It was definitely an interesting line.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
2 questions:

Did they add the SQ42 video to the roadmap? They could just replace "body dragging" with "foot dragging"

Also- did I miss The Agent's latest report? Or is he still on his honeymoon?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

colonelwest posted:

He had the last in a running series of multi-page meltdowns over people taking issue with him using offensive words and phrases, followed by galaxy brained effort posts along the lines of “what is language anyway?” When he was rightfully dumped on for it again, he decided to pick up his toys and go home.

I think he caught a 30 day ban. For what, I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

no_recall posted:

:reddit:Star Wars Squadrons comparison:reddit:

quote:

"You will experience this universe from the cockpit of your ship."

That right there means SW: Squadrons has less content than SC. No FPS anything.

quote:

Watched the clip and... i don't know man, it somehow sucked visually donkey space whale balls in comparison with SC wich is even in its alpha phase.

quote:

Yeah but it's a completed game, with a working HUD and actual gameplay. I'll take that over this Frankenstein alpha that looks slightly better but is stuck in permanent development hell.

Not saying I'm not still holding on to hope that Star Citizen will actually release something in the next few years, but since SQ 42 is shrouded in darkness and probably delayed for years interally, I'll take what I can get for the moment with Star Wars Squadrons.

quote:

yep, my thoights the visuals the design and everything just looks awefull... VR could be intersting tho, maybe for a small amount a nice vr game

quote:

Yes it's a completed game but here's the crux... i had not the slightest desire after watching the clip to buy it someday since i found it visually unappealing, partly even a bit dated.

Other than that i am one of those guys who got into SC because just of SC, i don't really feel the need to play a game of such a scale completely solo. I'm not saying SQ42 is bad or could be bad but i'm really just here for SC :)