Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Staying at am Airbnb. They roast and grind their own coffee every day. Bonavita as the drip machine, chemex and French press in the cupboard. And the coffee they provided is an extra fine grind, like for espresso. The bonavita immediately clogged and would not drain. French press doesn't use fine grind. I've never used a chemex, does it use a fine grind?

I had success in a Chemex which what I consider to be medium coarse. This is brewing 45/60g batches. The OEM Chemex filters are quite thick so they tend to slow water flow. When I've tried medium fine or fine the brew time skyrockets and the coffee doesn't taste very good.

Edit: Can you ask them to grind more coarsely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
You want a courser grind for chemex. It's got a much thicker filter.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I’m looking for a drip machine that doesn’t suck but also doesn’t cost £200 like the one in the OP. Preferably with a timing function and an insulated container or hot plate. This seems good, but I’ve only ever used an aeropress and french press, don’t really know what good is as far as machines go. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The main problem machines have is getting the water hot enough. All of these will make good coffee. I don't see Melitta on the list but it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. They just haven't submitted it for testing. Also I think Breville is called Sage in the UK.

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Here's a dumb question (I think every question I've ever asked in here has been dumb so sorry) but when I look up v60 recipes the most popular ones like Rao's and Hoffmann's seem to have drawdown times up there in the ~3 minute range. To hit that I would have to grind insanely fine, what's the deal here? I just tried Rao's method and it was drained in 2 minutes. I know that the Infinity isn't the most consistent grinder but I'd think that would lengthen my grind time, not shorten it. I'm usually at around the coarsest notch in the "fine" section on my grinder.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

RichterIX posted:

Here's a dumb question (I think every question I've ever asked in here has been dumb so sorry) but when I look up v60 recipes the most popular ones like Rao's and Hoffmann's seem to have drawdown times up there in the ~3 minute range. To hit that I would have to grind insanely fine, what's the deal here? I just tried Rao's method and it was drained in 2 minutes. I know that the Infinity isn't the most consistent grinder but I'd think that would lengthen my grind time, not shorten it. I'm usually at around the coarsest notch in the "fine" section on my grinder.

You could try going finer and see how it tastes? I wouldn't worry too much about drawdown time, there seem to be a lot of variables that can affect it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

PolishPandaBear posted:

I had success in a Chemex which what I consider to be medium coarse. This is brewing 45/60g batches. The OEM Chemex filters are quite thick so they tend to slow water flow. When I've tried medium fine or fine the brew time skyrockets and the coffee doesn't taste very good.

Edit: Can you ask them to grind more coarsely?

That's what I figured. Already asked for a set of medium grind coffee, got a slightly less fine grind. Still can't do the bonavita, it just overflows. I can do the French press, but not ideal, getting quite a bit of grit. Eh, it's really tasty coffee, and a bit of over extraction and grounds in the coffee isn't a big deal.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

torgeaux posted:

That's what I figured. Already asked for a set of medium grind coffee, got a slightly less fine grind. Still can't do the bonavita, it just overflows. I can do the French press, but not ideal, getting quite a bit of grit. Eh, it's really tasty coffee, and a bit of over extraction and grounds in the coffee isn't a big deal.

That's really weird that they would roast their own beans but not understand grinds? How are they drinking their coffee?

It's been two weeks and hot drat I love my Moccamaster. That things makes perfect drip and is a nice piece of machinery

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's been two weeks and hot drat I love my Moccamaster. That things makes perfect drip and is a nice piece of machinery

It’s really great.

Do you stir your grounds for the first cup or so of water, so they’re evenly covered with water?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I’ve been using the Hoffman recipe since the start of the covid and it’s possible I missed something, but for me 3 minutes has been the total brew time, from the start of the bloom to the last drops in the cup. Drawdown is only 60-90 seconds.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sellouts posted:

It’s really great.

Do you stir your grounds for the first cup or so of water, so they’re evenly covered with water?

I haven’t been stirring and it’s still been great. I do close the valve for the first two cups though (until the water goes from the ten level to the right level).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

hypnophant posted:

I’ve been using the Hoffman recipe since the start of the covid and it’s possible I missed something, but for me 3 minutes has been the total brew time, from the start of the bloom to the last drops in the cup. Drawdown is only 60-90 seconds.

Yeah, bad wording on my part, I meant total brew time. I have better luck with Hoffmann's method because the slower second half of the pour lengthens the brew time. I was curious about Rao's though because I read it works better for smaller batches and I usually am doing around 20g coffee to around 350ml of water. Rao's method involves a bloom and then a fast pour all the way to about 360ml and it was done draining by about 2:10 which seems super fast.

Maybe my idea of "fine" is hosed up. I like the coffee that I am making though. I was more curious as to how my times were so wildly different. I'm picking up some coffee tomorrow, maybe I'll go 3 or 4 notches finer just for kicks and see what comes out of it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's really weird that they would roast their own beans but not understand grinds? How are they drinking their coffee?

I assume they make espresso from the grind.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

2 minutes is about normal IMO from when I see Hario V60s served in a cafe. If it tastes good then I think you're doing fine.

e: You can watch a barista at Intelligentsia make one here. It's almost exactly 2 minutes total brew time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2XaQYJ-i1g

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 17, 2020

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

nwin posted:

I haven’t been stirring and it’s still been great. I do close the valve for the first two cups though (until the water goes from the ten level to the right level).

Yeah I don't stir either and the bloom is pretty intense since the beans are only a week old or so but I decided to not bother since I'm usually trying to make sure my kids don't hurt themselves assisting with breakfast

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
So I have a burr grinder that is kinda broke (only functions between "drip" and "espresso" fineness) and an Aeropress (that thankfully works best in this range). But I am looking to forsake hot coffee (and even Japanese style hot-brewed iced coffee) for cold brewed concentrate that I can wake up, half conscious, and pour into ice/water and have a decent drink: tell me what to do. I have a 3" tea-ball that I have used in the past, and I prefer dark roasts.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mu Zeta posted:

2 minutes is about normal IMO from when I see Hario V60s served in a cafe. If it tastes good then I think you're doing fine.

e: You can watch a barista at Intelligentsia make one here. It's almost exactly 2 minutes total brew time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2XaQYJ-i1g

Man, that's quite a stir at the beginning there. It actually looks like the one on the right is done draining at pretty much exactly 3 minutes, so who the hell knows. I'm just going to out the coffee beans in my mouth and pour hot water over them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nwin posted:

Mine, uh, doesn’t have a valve for some reason? So I just leave it closed and dont put the carafe in right away.

I found that when I didn’t stir the grounds would not be evenly distributed. I feared the bloom was pushing them to the side and leaving a lot underextracted?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sellouts posted:

Mine, uh, doesn’t have a valve for some reason? So I just leave it closed and dont put the carafe in right away.

I found that when I didn’t stir the grounds would not be evenly distributed. I feared the bloom was pushing them to the side and leaving a lot underextracted?

Yeah there are two models.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
https://www.sweetmarias.com/colombia-honey-las-aguilas-gesha-6460.html

So I'm still getting started with roasting - is buying a gesha even worth it given I haven't nailed down my process? I love honey process beans.

Edit: I forgot beans keep for 6 months. I should be good by then. Ordered. Beats spending $150-$200 from a major roaster.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 18, 2020

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/colombia-honey-las-aguilas-gesha-6460.html

So I'm still getting started with roasting - is buying a gesha even worth it given I haven't nailed down my process? I love honey process beans.

Edit: I forgot beans keep for 6 months. I should be good by then. Ordered. Beats spending $150-$200 from a major roaster.

Thanks for bringing attention to the gesha I missed it last time it went in stock. Will be my first time roasting it as well.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
My zojirushi officially shitted out. Will I see much of a difference between it and a bonavita performance wise? All I care about is taste and a not lovely carafe

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Veskit posted:

My zojirushi officially shitted out. Will I see much of a difference between it and a bonavita performance wise? All I care about is taste and a not lovely carafe

the bonavita 1900 series are very consistent, that consistency in water temperature/pour speed allow for you to dial in great taste via grind and dosage.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

FAUXTON posted:

the bonavita 1900 series are very consistent, that consistency in water temperature/pour speed allow for you to dial in great taste via grind and dosage.

FAUXTON posted:

Nice! It’ll be good to save the 60 dollar difference

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm fond of my OXO Brew kettle if you're open to alternatives. Little less chunky than the Bonavita - I suspect the heat retention over time isn't as good, but how often do you leave water sit in the kettle after you brew?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm fond of my OXO Brew kettle if you're open to alternatives. Little less chunky than the Bonavita - I suspect the heat retention over time isn't as good, but how often do you leave water sit in the kettle after you brew?

Personally I drink the whole pot over ice within 30 or so minutes but nowadays that's more like 45-50 since I'm working from home for the foreseeable future.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Funky bean report!

I came through our town's hipster hood today and bought some micro roaster's beans. At 250g for EUR12.95, they're the most expensive beans I've had yet.

These are Kenyan beans and their packaging speaks of berries and of a wet process. Indeed, they have an intensely floral/fruity smell. Judging by the color, they're a medium roast perhaps. But they're puffier than the other beans so far, with many beans having their insides popped out like popcorn. They're also heavier, as they don't even remotely fill the 250g container from the illy beans. When eaten, they're really nice: they taste a bit like berries or maybe raisins, especially when 'breathing' the aroma while eating.The taste isn't as ashy and bitter as other beans. They seem to grind more consistently than my other beans. Interestingly, they produce practically no foam when pouring water over them in the press. When stirred, the grounds sink to the bottom easily. After pressing down, very few fines and grit came through the filter.

The taste is absolutely funky. I'm actually amazed at how different they taste to other beans I've tried. The coffee tastes just as sweet as their aroma suggests, and it's also very sour. Honestly, every time I take a sip I'm slightly confused. It tastes almost as though somehad had poured a fruit tea into my coffee. It's laughably intense. Sadly it turns out that I'm not the biggest fan of this taste in a coffee. But given the sweet- and sourness, I'm thinking that this will make an absolutely lovely chilled or iced coffee for hot summer days. If all fails, I'll coat them in chocolate and have an awesome power snack.

Anyhow, that's the lesson I learned today.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Try grinding more finely on your next cup

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad has a Keurig K-Duo machine and loves it, but I’m trying to come up with Father’s Day gift ideas since he hasn’t given me any indications of stuff he wants, and I’m wondering if there’s any coffee-making stuff out there that matches the speed, ease-of-use, lack of effort, and overall convenience of the Keurig, while still making a better cup of coffee.

Would a French press coffee maker be something to consider? Maybe with a good strainer to pour the finished coffee through to filter out all the sludge and excess coffee grounds? There’s a place near me that sells Le Creuset enameled French press pots, and I’m wondering if those are any good.

A programmable electric kettle would be nice too; maybe something he can fill with water the night before that can have it ready at the right temperatue by the time he wakes up in the morning. Or, failing that, something he can turn on in the morning that can heat the water to the right temp quickly, since speed and convenience are important factors for him. Do either of those things exist? I don’t expect them to be cheap, but I’m thinking maybe we can start with a press pot and then get a kettle later if he likes the pot.

Besides a French press, can y’all think of any other things out there that can make quick and easy and also better coffee that a Keurig?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad has a Keurig K-Duo machine and loves it, but I’m trying to come up with Father’s Day gift ideas since he hasn’t given me any indications of stuff he wants, and I’m wondering if there’s any coffee-making stuff out there that matches the speed, ease-of-use, lack of effort, and overall convenience of the Keurig, while still making a better cup of coffee.

Would a French press coffee maker be something to consider? Maybe with a good strainer to pour the finished coffee through to filter out all the sludge and excess coffee grounds? There’s a place near me that sells Le Creuset enameled French press pots, and I’m wondering if those are any good.

A programmable electric kettle would be nice too; maybe something he can fill with water the night before that can have it ready at the right temperatue by the time he wakes up in the morning. Or, failing that, something he can turn on in the morning that can heat the water to the right temp quickly, since speed and convenience are important factors for him. Do either of those things exist? I don’t expect them to be cheap, but I’m thinking maybe we can start with a press pot and then get a kettle later if he likes the pot.

Besides a French press, can y’all think of any other things out there that can make quick and easy and also better coffee that a Keurig?

Dads are tough to shop for. He’s probably set in his ways so he likes waking up and pressing a button to get a big cup of watered down coffee.

You’re trying to give him better coffee, but it means buying beans, buying a grinder, grinding those beans, boiling water, and then waiting for 5 more minutes to get the coffee. And then he has to clean it!

What I’m saying is that your dad is probably set in his ways and doesn’t want to change pace. He’s comfortable with a k-cup. The only close thing to a better experience is a Nespresso, but the pods are more expensive and they don’t brew the large glass of coffee water that a K cup does.

How’s he doing on his screwdriver set? Does he need a new workbench?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nwin posted:

Dads are tough to shop for. He’s probably set in his ways so he likes waking up and pressing a button to get a big cup of watered down coffee.

You’re trying to give him better coffee, but it means buying beans, buying a grinder, grinding those beans, boiling water, and then waiting for 5 more minutes to get the coffee. And then he has to clean it!

What I’m saying is that your dad is probably set in his ways and doesn’t want to change pace. He’s comfortable with a k-cup. The only close thing to a better experience is a Nespresso, but the pods are more expensive and they don’t brew the large glass of coffee water that a K cup does.

The Coffee Thread: Dads are tough to shop for.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nwin posted:

Yea, this, if he uses tools often then some Knipex Cobra pliers and Knipex pliers wrench in his preferred choice of standard or metric.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Anyhow, that's the lesson I learned today.
As has been mentioned already, you should try grinding finer next time. The sour taste might just be due to under-extraction. A finer grind may lessen this aspect of the flavour dramatically, it may even eliminate it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad hates coffee so I bought him some premium nail clippers. They are unbelievably good.

https://www.amazon.com/Seki-Stainless-Fingernail-Clipper-SS-106/dp/B000F35R00?ref_=ast_sto_dp

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

It’s gonna probably be way over budget but a grinder + espresso machine will relatively match the speed of a keurig for making americanos if the machine has a hot water spigot to top off the espresso shot.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Tried to do Japanese iced coffee with my hario v60. Turned out great and isn't that many steps from just doing normal pour over. Though I think my fruity coffee is a bit wasted on it, as the taste wasn't as intense as usual.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Can anyone tell me if the price difference between the Wilfa Svart Silver and the Wilfa Svart (black) is worth the difference in performance, seems strange to offer two identical products in terms of aesthetics but not really point out they are different internally.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BlackMK4 posted:

Try grinding more finely on your next cup

Gunder posted:

As has been mentioned already, you should try grinding finer next time. The sour taste might just be due to under-extraction. A finer grind may lessen this aspect of the flavour dramatically, it may even eliminate it.

I followed the advice, and it seems to work.

I've turned my Hario one notch finer, and the sourness decreased noticeably. Maybe I'll try one more to get rid of the remaining sourness. It's much better, but I'm still not a big fan of the fruity flavors in there. Thanks for the help!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

I followed the advice, and it seems to work.

I've turned my Hario one notch finer, and the sourness decreased noticeably. Maybe I'll try one more to get rid of the remaining sourness. It's much better, but I'm still not a big fan of the fruity flavors in there. Thanks for the help!

I’d try grinding finer and finer each time until you hit a wall of bitterness and astringency. Then coarsen it back up until that goes away and then you’ve found your sweet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Helios Grime posted:

Tried to do Japanese iced coffee with my hario v60. Turned out great and isn't that many steps from just doing normal pour over. Though I think my fruity coffee is a bit wasted on it, as the taste wasn't as intense as usual.

I like using medium or darker roasted beans. The Japanese way is the only method to make them palatable IMO.