Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Locked in a deal on a 16 m3. Comp and exec pack, 40k miles. 40k usd. PPI was clear. Pretty excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
congrats! do a burnout

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Big Jesus posted:

Locked in a deal on a 16 m3. Comp and exec pack, 40k miles. 40k usd. PPI was clear. Pretty excited!

drat dude, that's a good price. You're gonna love it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can a mod enforce a burnout rule also can I be a mod because I have some ideas (unrelated)

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

The Big Jesus posted:

Wow, what am I doing working on my 335is... That's a killer deal!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Can a mod enforce a burnout rule also can I be a mod because I have some ideas (unrelated)

I'm not a mod, but I would enforce the poo poo out of a burnout rule.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

jink posted:

Wow, what am I doing working on my 335is... That's a killer deal!

For real. A year ago you couldn't find a comp pack car without an accident history for under 50k.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The Big Jesus posted:

Hell yes. What color? Did you get the transmission with the right amount of cog wheels?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hell yes. What color? Did you get the transmission with the right amount of cog wheels?

Mineral gray, which was 2nd choice behind YAS but those are much harder to find with everything I want. DCT since I deal with a lot of traffic and will be dealing with kiddos in a year or so

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

Holy poo poo.

Edit:
Why the gently caress do old BMWs cost so much for insurance :psyduck:

Fancy cars that don't get driven much are not that expensive to insure generally due to the low yearly miles. So the Aston is not a great comparison.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also, insurance rates are based on how likely the insurance company is going to have to pay out for that car. For an Aston Martin, most issues are going to be maintenance related, so not the insurance company's problem. And it's likely to spend most of its time not being driven much, and parked in a garage or somewhere else safe. So the insurance company won't have to spend a bunch of money on Aston Martins being crashed. Whereas everyone has a 3 series and they are parking them on the street, or in sketchy parking lots, and driving them every day, so it's more likely that they will get into a situation that requires the insurance company to pay out.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

I keep trying burnouts but instead I just get increased forward velocity.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The Big Jesus posted:

Mineral gray, which was 2nd choice behind YAS but those are much harder to find with everything I want. DCT since I deal with a lot of traffic and will be dealing with kiddos in a year or so

So yes. He got the right transmission, good choice. Mineral Grey isn't quite as verse as Space Grey Metallic but it's still a great color that
a) won't show any dirt, ever
b) shows the crisp lines better than some of the other colors.
c) doesn't scream "Hey arrest me" like some colors do. Well done.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hot shine ur tire treads

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Also, insurance rates are based on how likely the insurance company is going to have to pay out for that car. For an Aston Martin, most issues are going to be maintenance related, so not the insurance company's problem. And it's likely to spend most of its time not being driven much, and parked in a garage or somewhere else safe. So the insurance company won't have to spend a bunch of money on Aston Martins being crashed. Whereas everyone has a 3 series and they are parking them on the street, or in sketchy parking lots, and driving them every day, so it's more likely that they will get into a situation that requires the insurance company to pay out.

The thing I found truly crazy is I priced out a brand new M4, and the insurance on that would be less than my Focus RS. But an M5 would be like double.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ultimate Mango posted:

Eventually your tires will be bald enough. In the meantime, can you not turn TC all the way off??

Twiggles
Jun 22, 2004

Could an eight year old... do this?
I have a question that's not so much technical as it is familiarity with BMW's service practices. I just bought a used 2015 X3 diesel about a week and a half ago. I trust the sellers, so no problems with them half-assing taking good care of it. Anyway, got a check engine light - power train failure. I got the codes read, and it said something along the lines of gas exhaust recirculation valve stuck open/closed. I've taken it in to the shop, and I expect to hear in the next couple days (I wouldn't dare try to fix it on my own). My question is, would this be covered under BMW's extended warranty on diesel emissions? I don't know how BMW dealerships compare to lower-end car dealerships but I've gotten screwed in the past and I'd at least like to go in with some information.

Thanks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Where are you located? I believe it will depend if you are a state covered by the California emissions warranty or the Federal one.

EGR valve is actually quite straightforward if it's not warrantied. You can do it with hand tools and almost everything is immediately accessible with the hood open.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm looking for a second beater as backup for my first beater, also known as my DD, because I'm selling the car I have that's actually worth anything. I remember people were always absolutely in love with E30s, but IIRC the prices skyrocketed. I found an '87 325i coupe manual for $2500 with 140k miles, does that seem like a decent deal assuming no rust? What are the big maintenance issues? I know BMWs are not going to be as reliable as the EJ22 Subarus and Toyotas I've owned in the past. Are parts still easily available? Any big things to look out for?

I'd also be up for reading a rundown on the car rather than someone having to type out answers, but I don't know which forums/pages to trust, especially with a prestige brand where people are likely to minimize issues to justify their at the time expensive purchase.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I don't know anything about E30s, but I use FCPEuro for everything and ECS Tuning for everything else. FCPEuro has a lifetime warranty on everything they sell you - if it goes bad, they replace it for free.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. Looking at it closer, something seems off, the guy says it's a 325i but there's no badging on the back aside from the BMW logo and the tach only goes to 5k, so it looks like it's probably a 325e, which is about a 25% power difference from a 325i and some pretty false advertising unless he bought it with the same lie told to him.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
You can always check with VIN via stuff like https://bimmercat.com/ just 7 last digits work and it will show you the engine this car had when it left the factory
Also engine photos help, strange engine markings like 184VD are the exact engine type that were used before (or along with?) MxxBxx engine types. 325i suggests its an m20b25 so the marking plate should be on the block right above the oil pan on the driver (left) side of the car so ask for a photo of that
Good luck :D

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm a big fan of http://bimmer.work, it gives you a list of all the options and a 3d view of the car as it left the factory.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I'll ask him that. I'll give both options since he might be iffy about giving even part of the VIN to a random person. I don't think I can do anything with 7 digits, but maybe I'm wrong.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Just bought 10 bmw cca raffle tickets, wish me luck

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
🙏 Good luck fam

I'm gonna do something stupid this weekend

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

fyallm posted:

Didn't you win an m240i from the last one??

If you win again...

Twiggles
Jun 22, 2004

Could an eight year old... do this?
Sorry, late reply. I live in WA right across the river/border from Portland, OR. Car's registered in WA, but the shop is in Portland.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I'll ask him that. I'll give both options since he might be iffy about giving even part of the VIN to a random person. I don't think I can do anything with 7 digits, but maybe I'm wrong.
Do not buy any car for which the owner won't give you the VIN. Do not buy any car for which you haven't run that VIN through both Carfax and Autocheck.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I mean I'd run the VIN once I actually physically looked at the car, more talking about asking for the VIN at first contact.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I want to enter the raffle but I dont currently own a BMW so Id feel like a fraud plus theres no way I could afford the tax on anything I won lol

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Didn't you win an m240i from the last one??

If you win again...

Naw, wasn't me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean I'd run the VIN once I actually physically looked at the car, more talking about asking for the VIN at first contact.

if someone won't give you the vin on a 1500 dollar e30 run the gently caress away mate

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

$2500, but also I've only ever bought two cars, both from dealerships, and had a much more specific idea of what I wanted rather than just "beater that won't make me fall asleep." Both of those were also at most 10 years old rather than 33, and had no other trims they could possibly be, so I knew what I was getting going into the dealership. I wasn't sure if people could like apply for a new title or report it stolen or something with a VIN, quite a few people even cover up license plates for photos these days. My favorite was the guy that photoshopped it to say 8675309.

I haven't reached out again after my first message failed to send because somehow my app settings got screwed up. We'll see what he says. My first choice is still the '92 Legacy Turbo, partially because I know half of the stuff on that car already, but the BMW might be the second choice thanks to the cheap AW11 that I was interested in turning out to be an automatic.

E: If it does turn out to be fine (at 33 years old it's entirely possible that the tach is just a junkyard pull from a 325e), any common issues to check for around 140k miles? He said it needs an alignment, so I'd be checking for chassis damage obviously. He also mentioned it had just gotten new tie rods, but that could either mean the old ones wore out or there was an accident and the old ones got bent.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 19, 2020

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fyallm posted:

I buy them periodically throughout the raffle to get a chance at winning the monthly prizes. It hasn't worked yet, but I keep hoping.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If I bought raffle tickets, with my luck I'd end up winning that stupid X4M.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Twiggles posted:

Sorry, late reply. I live in WA right across the river/border from Portland, OR. Car's registered in WA, but the shop is in Portland.

I've had pleasant experiences with BMW Portland from both a sales and service perspective, and would certainly recommend them.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Eventually your tires will be bald enough. In the meantime, can you not turn TC all the way off??

It’s possible to defeat entirely but that’s also 2wd mode. I run in 4wd sport a bit (where more slip is supposedly possible) but to find where that slip is might require a track or better road than I have immediately nearby. The level of grip is redonkulous.

I suppose in 2wd nearer tire end of life I can do some Smokey boys. But I’m only at 5k miles. I hope to get 8-10k at least from these ps4s tires. Maybe?

Seriously I’ve seen so many people do stupid things and I’ve done enough HPDE days that I’m more conservative on the street.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
In regular street use I got about ~16k out of the PSS's that are now nearly gone on my car while yes, doing the occasional burnout. But they're nearly shot and are being replaced as soon as I get a free minute to make an order. F'n work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

$2500, but also I've only ever bought two cars, both from dealerships, and had a much more specific idea of what I wanted rather than just "beater that won't make me fall asleep." Both of those were also at most 10 years old rather than 33, and had no other trims they could possibly be, so I knew what I was getting going into the dealership. I wasn't sure if people could like apply for a new title or report it stolen or something with a VIN, quite a few people even cover up license plates for photos these days. My favorite was the guy that photoshopped it to say 8675309.

I haven't reached out again after my first message failed to send because somehow my app settings got screwed up. We'll see what he says. My first choice is still the '92 Legacy Turbo, partially because I know half of the stuff on that car already, but the BMW might be the second choice thanks to the cheap AW11 that I was interested in turning out to be an automatic.

E: If it does turn out to be fine (at 33 years old it's entirely possible that the tach is just a junkyard pull from a 325e), any common issues to check for around 140k miles? He said it needs an alignment, so I'd be checking for chassis damage obviously. He also mentioned it had just gotten new tie rods, but that could either mean the old ones wore out or there was an accident and the old ones got bent.

Cooling system, m20s have a timing belt and are interference engines, FCABs, the steering rack is probably going to leak, rust around the battery tray and in the trunk

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that would be E30 specific