Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Haha, I had a friend who got a guitar that way, too. Forget what it was, but he got one in the mail from MF that he didn't order, and they said it'd be too complicated to get it back from him. He ended up donating it to a friend whose kid wanted to start a punk band :allears:

This is me trying to return a homebrewing gadget I bought and originally got the wrong unit (220v plug vs 110v) and I got the right one over a month ago and have had only radio silence about returning it

Bitches y'all got a loving like two weeks before i give up and list this bitch on craigslist under "you take it off the porch it's yours" rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Got drunk. Ordered a stupid music poo poo. I regret nothing.

It rules. The neck is like loving butter. Satin finish, stupid thin, rolled fretboard edges.

JB/59 pickups(my all time favorite combo).

First floyd rose guitar I have had in like ~20- years. I still hate them, but I am determined to enjoy this one. I am dreading setting up with 10-52's and tuning it to D standard. Been watching a bunch of videos so I don't gently caress it up.

It looks ridiculous, but it's so fun to play.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 18, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Other than the pickup colors that poo poo rules

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

Other than the pickup colors that poo poo rules

Yeah they are kind of odd. It's a lighter green than the green on the guitar. Would probably look better with normal black ones. But they have grown on me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a whipping 80's guitar if I've ever seen one! :rock:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Jackson has been putting out a lot of interesting finish options recently. That one was one of the ones I particularly liked (there's also a red and black swirl that's :black101: as hell.)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
That Jackson is like the exact opposite of what I look for in a guitar, but I love it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i wonder what they used to get the ceruse finish on the headstock. probably an ash veneer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Malaria posted:

Got drunk. Ordered a stupid music poo poo. I regret nothing.

It rules. The neck is like loving butter. Satin finish, stupid thin, rolled fretboard edges.

JB/59 pickups(my all time favorite combo).

First floyd rose guitar I have had in like ~20- years. I still hate them, but I am determined to enjoy this one. I am dreading setting up with 10-52's and tuning it to D standard. Been watching a bunch of videos so I don't gently caress it up.

It looks ridiculous, but it's so fun to play.

I want, but they don't make lefty ones :smith:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Colored grain filler on ash is the standard way of doing it.
I built an ash Tele that I tinted the filler with silver paint over black stain. Used a thin slice of ash for the headstock overlay.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i wonder what they used to get the ceruse finish on the headstock. probably an ash veneer

I think it is a small piece of ash like the body.

Also the logo is a raised piece of metal or maybe plastic. Not a normal logo. Kind of a cool touch

edit: it looks weird in the lighting right now, its the same color as the rest of the body

Malaria fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 18, 2020

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How do you think they do those finishes? Do they spray on the (in this case, green) undercoat on the whole guitar then simply place the body on, or lightly roll the body over, a thin hard surface of (black) paint that can't get into the inset grain?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

I want, but they don't make lefty ones :smith:
That's our cross to bear for the weirder off-centre riffs, buddy. :(:hf::(

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

GreatGreen posted:

How do you think they do those finishes? Do they spray on the (in this case, green) undercoat on the whole guitar then simply place the body on, or lightly roll the body over, a thin hard surface of (black) paint that can't get into the inset grain?

I think it's a highly pigmented grain filler that they apply on top of a color coat of paint.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

stain/dye the wood then rub paint/grain filler into the pores and wipe off the excess

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Wark Say posted:

That's our cross to bear for the weirder off-centre riffs, buddy. :(:hf::(

How many left handed goon guitarists are there? It seems like it's a higher proportion than the average population. Thus far there's you, iospace, and me, but I feel like I am missing at least two other frequent posters...

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I keep feeling a weird urge to buy a cheapass hardtail Squier, stick a big dumb budget metal pickup in it and play black metal on it. I already own several guitars that will do this exact thing far better than this hypothetical guitar would but that doesn't stop me wanting to do it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

I keep feeling a weird urge to buy a cheapass hardtail Squier, stick a big dumb budget metal pickup in it and play black metal on it. I already own several guitars that will do this exact thing far better than this hypothetical guitar would but that doesn't stop me wanting to do it.

That's basically what I did with mine in a way, and I love that guitar now.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

bruh I made the video just for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBP0AX0au48

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

How many left handed goon guitarists are there? It seems like it's a higher proportion than the average population. Thus far there's you, iospace, and me, but I feel like I am missing at least two other frequent posters...

Hi there!
Left Handed? Yes.
Goon? Probably.
Guitarist? Ehhhhhhh if I practiced more, I guess?

Hooray for colour choices (from certain manufacturers).

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 22, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

they stuck a humbucker rout in the hello kitty strat for a reason

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I do have a Contemporary Strat that's been out of action for a while for modding that never ended up happening. It's now going to get a GFS Power Rail and a pickguard with googly eyes glued all over it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they stuck a humbucker rout in the hello kitty strat for a reason

:hmmyes:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cheap black metal guitarchat couldn't come at a better time: I was just gifted some bolt-on les paul epiphone thing and I have an emg 81 sitting in a desk drawer waiting to be awesome. If these trash guitars keep being so much fun I may never own a nice guitar again.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/d/denton-hems-teeth-4sell-hamer/7136076315.html

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've never heard of the Hamer California but based on the three data points of "made in Korea", "brand no one cares about" and "looks early 90s" I'm guessing it's a $250 guitar.

Edit: Just found one on Reverb for $300 but it was red, maybe green is what the collectors want.

BDA fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 20, 2020

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

They want a guitar that is made out of Sherman Hemsley's teeth.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anime Reference posted:

I thought Rondo wasn't making custom guitars anymore, but I can't think of any possible explanation for this strange beast other than "custom that the buyer flaked on": https://www.rondomusic.com/product10489.html
A fretless 8-string guitar with a 25.5" scale length. Who in the world is that for?

I haven't looked at Rondo's line-up in some time, but what the holy gently caress is that... and what the gently caress are these?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rondo has gotten deep into the "Korean made affordable 7-9 string multi scale" market

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sigher posted:

I haven't looked at Rondo's line-up in some time, but what the holy gently caress is that... and what the gently caress are these?

Multi-scale/Fanned frets instruments!

They're fun as gently caress!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Little Jones doesn't have an account but he's my favorite guitarist by a mile

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehk3QCgGIOw&t=21s

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh yes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo yeah! :rock:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for this most excellent contribution to the thread!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Tell us more about this magnificent creature.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Excellent! Glad to see us left handed freaks coming out in force here. That's 5 official goons so far?

There is absolutely nothing stupid here :colbert:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

There is absolutely nothing stupid here :colbert:

I mean, other than the fundamentally flawed headstock design Gibson has refused to change since the 50's that breaks so often it's literally created an entire category of steady, reliable work for guitar techs, you're right!

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
But, PlAy AuThEnTiC! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Tell us more about this magnificent creature.

I feel like this moon is from some warhammer illustration. John Blanche maybe.

Tangentially related to that: 40k has that chapter of space marines that are also metalheads:
https://www.google.com/search?q=40k...ih=722&dpr=1.25